http://www.3d-blurayrental.com/ - Page 41 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 231Likes

post #1201 of 1282 Old 06-23-2018, 04:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
Been wondering if 3D-Blu-ray rental has to pay fees or have a contract with studios to rent discs? I also notice there are some releases that state: Not for Rental that I've purchased lately. And are some titles held back from rental for a time? I remember seeing Annihilation on Amazon streaming for purchase for 14.99 but not rental so does 3D-Blu ray have to adhere to those rules too or is it just a matter of when they can purchase the disc too? Now I suppose streaming service is offered sooner and better controlled by the studios, giving them priority and they can control the rental options offered on streaming.
"Not for rental" is pure bull. Studios have ZERO control or restrictions on discs after they've been purchased by anyone. There are no "rules."

Now, they (studios) can do special deals (pricing) with rental places like Netflix and Redbox (which can result in degraded "rental" versions), but like streaming rights, that's a completely separate thing...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1202 of 1282 Old 06-25-2018, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker View Post
I have the 5 plan and I'll order 1-2 at the beginning of the month and another 1-2 mid-month and if it's close to the end of the month i'll ONLY order "in stock" discs and order enough to fill the '5'. So it would depend on if any of the first two 'rounds' have shipped - if not then i might put 5 in my basket just to be sure i get 5 'shipped' that month.

While I agree they need to recoup the money for the non-standard 3D : how long does that take? what i'm seeing is the price has NEVER gone down for those in order for the monthly-planners to get them.
I've been tracking Titles like Beauty and the Beast, Geostorm, Fire Dragon Chronicles, and Need for Speed (for examples) and the price has not changed - out of reach for the subscribers.

Redbox is trying out 4K in areas- I wish they'd add 3D.
I agree, start the month with "short wait" titles, then go to "in stock." Order early in the day, or it won't ship that day. Order the next movie as quickly as you can.

It is not just new titles where this surcharge "not covered by subscription" cost is added. I planned to rent "A Christmas Carol" (2009) last year, but didn't get around to it quick enough when it was covered by the subscription.

This year, when I looked at renting the same movie, "A Christmas Carol" 3D again, it was no longer covered by subscription. I found I could buy it slightly cheaper than renting it, so I bought a used one last month from an Amazon.uk seller.

I have seen other titles that were originally not covered by subscription, but now are covered. An example is "Alice Through the Looking Glass" 3D. It was not covered by subscription when I rented it for $8.99 in February of 2017, but now it is covered, naturally. It pays to be patient.

So it goes both ways. I think this may have something to do with which countries the 3D blu ray was originally released in, and where and for how much the 3D blu ray can be purchased. I have been told they don't buy disks from ebay, for instance.

Last edited by rural scribe; 06-25-2018 at 09:21 AM.
post #1203 of 1282 Old 07-06-2018, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
3D TV's - Consider This

Yah, I'm heartbroken too about the slow death of 3D. How in the world can 3D -NOT- add immensely to one's viewing experience? Not long ago, I was at a Best Buy store and asked the salesman about 3D TV's. He laughed at me, right to my face. Felt like slapping the turd. He said "No such thing," basically. Then I walked him over to some projection units they had. A couple of them were 3D capable. He just shuffled, mumbled and I left.

Anyway, my point is that there are options still. I found, on Amazon, a number of 3500 lumen projectors, in the $500 range. At first I thought, "this is crazy, no way a projection TV is gonna be satisfying at all." After wrestling and rationalizing for days, I found a projector that had pretty good reviews and slapped it on my Amazon Store card.

Geez, was I ever surprised! I set it up with a cheapie 100" pull up/down screen and to my (aging) eyes the picture was way brighter and more colorful beyond anything I expected. At about 11' distance the picture is 94" and even with my TV watching glasses on, beyond acceptable. Of course, I had to buy new, active 3D glasses (for the past 8 years, I've been enjoying my 55" LG passive 3D flat screen - no longer available) but they're only about $20 now.

Just watched the new Tomb Raider 2018 3D Blu-ray (rented from 3d-blurayrental) and it was just as good of a 3D experience as I'd been enjoying for the last 8 years. I have the full retail version on order from Amazon U.K., but it'll be a while before it gets here. But, at least I know what I can look forward to.

One of my favorite's, "San Andreas 3D," was super and the new "Jumanji, Welcome To The Jungle 3D" was, too.

I realize not everyone will take easily to projection TV, but at least there's something to hang on to ...
aaronwt, dew42 and wildbill722 like this.

Last edited by FanIn3D; 07-06-2018 at 02:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1204 of 1282 Old 07-07-2018, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 24
So far I'm ok with the service, it's great to be able to rent these discs. A few complaints though, shipping times make it impossible to fulfill my plan (5 p/mo, 1 at a time). This week, I sent back my rental Monday, and it was received by 3D (receipt confirmation email) on Thursday. They shipped a disc to me on Monday (email shipped confirmation), and it's Saturday and I still don't have it. This is my experience so far for all rentals, why does it take 2-4 days longer to get discs then it takes to send them back?
post #1205 of 1282 Old 07-07-2018, 05:44 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8898 Post(s)
Liked: 5687
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsteak View Post
So far I'm ok with the service, it's great to be able to rent these discs. A few complaints though, shipping times make it impossible to fulfill my plan (5 p/mo, 1 at a time). This week, I sent back my rental Monday, and it was received by 3D (receipt confirmation email) on Thursday. They shipped a disc to me on Monday (email shipped confirmation), and it's Saturday and I still don't have it. This is my experience so far for all rentals, why does it take 2-4 days longer to get discs then it takes to send them back?
As soon as you put your disc in the mail to return it, you can request another title. No need to wait until they receive it to order another title.

Sent from my Nexus 7(32GB) using Tapatalk

53TB unRAID2--45TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #1206 of 1282 Old 07-08-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:
How interesting. That's been exactly my experience, too, for many years. Three days for returns, but 4-7 days coming to me. I'm in the middle of the U.S. A handful of times we passed the ten-day wait, so I notified them and lo and behold, it arrived on day 11. Mysteries of the universe.

Only a couple of discs never made it, though, coming or going. Maybe a half-dozen, over 4-5 years. I guess that's not too bad.
post #1207 of 1282 Old 07-08-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
As soon as you put your disc in the mail to return it, you can request another title. No need to wait until they receive it to order another title.
That's what I do as stated in my post (ordered new disc Monday, returned watched disc same day, returned disc made it back Thursday, ordered disc still isn't here as of Saturday). I don't understand why it takes 2-4 days longer to receive discs than it takes to return them.
post #1208 of 1282 Old 07-08-2018, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Quote:
That's what I do as stated in my post (ordered new disc Monday, returned watched disc same day, returned disc made it back Thursday, ordered disc still isn't here as of Saturday). I don't understand why it takes 2-4 days longer to receive discs than it takes to return them.
My thought is the day they send the email saying the disc has shipped is not always the same day it actually makes it to the post office. Maybe it’s a way for them to reserve it for the next customer in their system. Who knows the true reason but something definitely doesn’t add up.

LG OLED65E6P | Oppo UDP-203 | Denon X4300H 7.2.4 | Emotiva XPA-3 | Apple TV 4K | DirecTV Now
Front L&R Paradigm Monitor 9 | Center Paradigm CC 290 | Side Surrounds, Rear Surrounds, 4 Dolby Atmos Heights - all Definitive ProMonitor 800's
Subwoofers SVS PB-2000 X2
post #1209 of 1282 Old 07-08-2018, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK in CT View Post
My thought is the day they send the email saying the disc has shipped is not always the same day it actually makes it to the post office. Maybe it’s a way for them to reserve it for the next customer in their system. Who knows the true reason but something definitely doesn’t add up.
I thought about that too. Usually, I get the shipping confirmation the day after I order. So maybe the discs all go to the PO late in the day so they don't actually ship until the next day, 2 days after order.
post #1210 of 1282 Old 07-09-2018, 02:22 PM
UHD Addict

Well one thing is for sure, the USPS in general takes longer for deliveries than just a few years ago. In my area, even in the same zip code, the official delivery time is now listed as two days. Because all mail leaves the local facility, goes to a larger central facility, then comes back to the local facility. The mail used to just stay at the local facility and only took a day. Now it's 50/50 whether it gets there in day or two.

post #1211 of 1282 Old 07-09-2018, 02:29 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4519 Post(s)
Liked: 4332
post #1212 of 1282 Old 07-16-2018, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I've recently signed up for the 3 at a time plan. I'm having a little trouble understanding exactly how this works. Is there any enforcement of 3 out at a time? Or do you just order more discs and there is an honor system? If I have a disc in "waiting" status and order another one, will they still ship the "waiting" one when it's available, even if I already have 3 out?
post #1213 of 1282 Old 07-16-2018, 09:26 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
I've recently signed up for the 3 at a time plan. I'm having a little trouble understanding exactly how this works. Is there any enforcement of 3 out at a time? Or do you just order more discs and there is an honor system? If I have a disc in "waiting" status and order another one, will they still ship the "waiting" one when it's available, even if I already have 3 out?
It is an honor system: you are supposed to wait to order the next disc until you return the previous one. So only order discs that are in stock.

Sometimes I do that and the disc is "waiting" anyway. I go ahead and order another, BUT NOTE: they will ship the waiting disc when it comes in, meaning you may go over your plan and be charged for the extra disc.

It's a bit of a gamble.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #1214 of 1282 Old 07-16-2018, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry if this was asked or answered already. The not for subscription movies(>$8), since we pay the full price for those, I assume they do not go against your monthly total?

thanks.

Dave
post #1215 of 1282 Old 07-16-2018, 06:22 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstarlin View Post
Sorry if this was asked or answered already. The not for subscription movies(>$8), since we pay the full price for those, I assume they do not go against your monthly total?

thanks.
Correct, although I've had to fix that via email conversation. They have always made it right.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
post #1216 of 1282 Old 07-18-2018, 02:15 PM

Geez, don't know that I've ever seen this before: I like to keep track of what's coming down the line, so often check the "Coming Soon > 3D Blu-ray" page. It's completely empty right now, since "Ready, Player One" went to "Short Wait" status.

Definitely reflects the business today. During recent years, at least a bunch of the animated movies had 3D releases in the theaters, but not so much now, I guess.
post #1217 of 1282 Old 07-18-2018, 05:42 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn3D View Post
Geez, don't know that I've ever seen this before: I like to keep track of what's coming down the line, so often check the "Coming Soon > 3D Blu-ray" page. It's completely empty right now, since "Ready, Player One" went to "Short Wait" status.

Definitely reflects the business today. During recent years, at least a bunch of the animated movies had 3D releases in the theaters, but not so much now, I guess.
Ready Player One doesn't release until next week. I try and get my reservations in the first day they become available for new titles. Which is usually a week before release. So yesterday I added Ready Player One.

So every title I checkout with a week before release shows a short wait on the confirmation email I receive. And I've received hundreds. Even though none of them have been released yet. I reserved three titles yesterday and they all show a short wait on the email. They all release next Tuesday.

Last edited by aaronwt; 07-18-2018 at 05:47 PM.
post #1218 of 1282 Old 07-20-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
So every title I checkout with a week before release shows a short wait on the confirmation email I receive. And I've received hundreds. Even though none of them have been released yet. I reserved three titles yesterday and they all show a short wait on the email. They all release next Tuesday.
I usually don't pre-order disks before they are released, but I did this month. Despite the "short wait" my pre-order rental (Rampage 3D) actually shipped on July 13, four days before the release date. That surprised the heck out of me. I received it, a brand new disk, just two days after its July 17 video release date.

Because of that, I got caught up on my subscription rentals real fast. I was getting worried because I started my subscription (one at a time, five per month) on July 1, but by July 17, I had received only one disk. Now, I have received four, with lots of time left in July.
post #1219 of 1282 Old 07-20-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentwds View Post
I would like to suggest that for each blu-ray you have for rent you link to the 4K Blu-Ray reviews on http://www.blu-ray.com/ instead of amazon.com. You are probably already aware of this site but they have been around since the dawn of Blu-Ray and their reviewers do amazing reviews for each new disc release. I've recently started renting 4K discs from you and would really appreciate this being done.
Ditto for 3D blu-ray reviews. Blu-ray.com does a great job with those, too.
post #1220 of 1282 Old 07-20-2018, 09:47 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rural scribe View Post
I usually don't pre-order disks before they are released, but I did this month. Despite the "short wait" my pre-order rental (Rampage 3D) actually shipped on July 13, four days before the release date. That surprised the heck out of me. I received it, a brand new disk, just two days after its July 17 video release date.

Because of that, I got caught up on my subscription rentals real fast. I was getting worried because I started my subscription (one at a time, five per month) on July 1, but by July 17, I had received only one disk. Now, I have received four, with lots of time left in July.
My Rampage UHD BD rental didn't ship to me until two days ago. I must have missed seeing the 3D version. Otherwise I would have rented it.

post #1221 of 1282 Old 07-21-2018, 05:55 PM

Quote:
My Rampage UHD BD rental didn't ship to me until two days ago. I must have missed seeing the 3D version. Otherwise I would have rented it.
I'm now on single rental-only status, since the decline of 3D movies, but was surprised to see I managed to get on to the "Rampage 3D" list successfully. My copy was 'shipped,' Friday, week ago, and arrived Friday, yesterday. I also just received notice that "Ready, Player One 3D" has shipped!

There's such a disparity between release dates here and abroad. I've been purchasing the full retail versions from Amazon UK, because they're only about US$20 there, but Amazon USA is charging $40 - $50. Yet Amazon UK seems to be weeks behind in release dates, plus it takes 2-3 weeks to get a shipment across the Atlantic Ocean. Thus, I'll just rent the 3D version from 3d-blurayrental and get to watch it, then wait another month or month and a half to get my full retail version from across the ocean.

My copy of "Tomb Raider 2018" has only recently shipped from Amazon, UK and arrival set for second week in August. But, thanks to 3d-blurayrental, I got to watch it already a couple of weeks ago.

UK price, plus shipping, plus one rental from 3d-blurayrental jacks the price up to closer to Amazon USA's price, so I may revert to Amazon USA again. This all started when "Valerian 3D" didn't get a US release and I figured it was the end of US's 3D releases. I have a region-free player, so I thought that was going to be the future ...

Edit: I see now that "Rampage Blu-ray 3D" Amazon USA is now $48 (vs UK US$26, but release 8/20). Too bad.

Last edited by FanIn3D; 07-26-2018 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Correction
post #1222 of 1282 Old 08-25-2018, 07:18 PM

Several of the discs I've received are in bad condition. They freeze, skip, or don't play. What is the policy regarding those? Since I have to wait 4-6 days for delivery, it sucks when the disc is damaged. I essentially lose out on one of my monthly rentals.
post #1223 of 1282 Old 09-04-2018, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 827 Post(s)
Liked: 647
Anyone else dealing with them saying they haven't received discs and try to charge late and replacement fees? It's either the PO messing with them or their crappy sorting/receiving (more likely). USPS typically doesn't lose mail like it's going out of style.

I ship every disc back within a couple days of receiving it, but I keep getting non-receipt notices. Not to mentioned it takes almost 2 weeks to receive anything from them after getting "shipping" confirmation. All around, pretty terrible service.

Lyngdorf MP-50 | Yamaha MX-A5200 | Ascend Sierra Towers | Ascend Sierra Horizon | Ascend Sierra Lunas | Ascend HTM-200SE | SVS SB-13 x4
post #1224 of 1282 Old 09-04-2018, 06:54 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Several of the discs I've received are in bad condition. They freeze, skip, or don't play. What is the policy regarding those? Since I have to wait 4-6 days for delivery, it sucks when the disc is damaged. I essentially lose out on one of my monthly rentals.
When that happens you contact them. It's been a rare occurrence for me. But when it has happened to me, if I remember correctly, they had me pick another title to get shipped out and also replaced the damaged title if they had it in stock.

Sent from my Tab S 10.5 using Tapatalk

post #1225 of 1282 Old 09-04-2018, 06:59 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckymomo View Post
Anyone else dealing with them saying they haven't received discs and try to charge late and replacement fees? It's either the PO messing with them or their crappy sorting/receiving (more likely). USPS typically doesn't lose mail like it's going out of style.

I ship every disc back within a couple days of receiving it, but I keep getting non-receipt notices. Not to mentioned it takes almost 2 weeks to receive anything from them after getting "shipping" confirmation. All around, pretty terrible service.
I had an issue with my local post office years ago, but it was with netflix returns. Just about every disc I shipped back from the local post office disappeared. So I contacted the postal inspector and they investigated. And they eventually found out that the discs were being stolen from someone in the post office.

I have not run into anything major like that with my 3dbluray rental returns. I have had a few get damaged or not arrive over the last six years. But it has been extremely rare.

Sent from my Tab S 10.5 using Tapatalk

post #1226 of 1282 Old 09-06-2018, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckymomo View Post

it takes almost 2 weeks to receive anything from them after getting "shipping" confirmation.

For my most recent disk, only 3 days elapsed from shipping notification to actual delivery (in Wisconsin).

Carl
post #1227 of 1282 Old 10-24-2018, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Anyone know where they mail their discs from?

I've been considering subscribing but living out in Hawaii I'm wondering if wait time will make the service pretty much not worth the money...
post #1228 of 1282 Old 10-24-2018, 08:04 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsandvb View Post

I've been considering subscribing but living out in Hawaii I'm wondering if wait time will make the service pretty much not worth the money...
Naperville IL

-Bill
redsandvb likes this.

post #1229 of 1282 Old 10-25-2018, 01:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Ah, Thanks!
post #1230 of 1282 Old 10-25-2018, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsandvb View Post

I'm in the Seattle/Tacoma WA area and it usually takes about 4-5 business days for a disc to arrive (maybe 1 out of 5 arrives in 2-3 days). I would guess Hawaii would be another 1 or 2 days on average, maybe? I like the service but it is NOT like Netflix where they have distribution centers all across the country and discs arrive within 1 or 2 days.

Good luck!
redsandvb likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Content

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , How To Train Your Dragon Two Disc Blu Ray 3d Dvd Combo , Tron Legacy Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page