http://www.3d-blurayrental.com/ - Page 43 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 231Likes

post #1261 of 1275 Old 03-27-2019, 03:00 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8840 Post(s)
Liked: 5629
Quote:
Originally Posted by danbez View Post
Does 3d-blu-ray monitor this forum? I hate how their envelopes are glued! I had destroyed a few of them and had to use invisible table to fix and send back the disks. This is happening for months now... Come on guys, it's not really difficult to replace the glue you use!
I've been putting tape on every mailer for many, many years now.

Sent from my Galaxy S10 using Tapatalk
cTwining likes this.

53TB unRAID2--45TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 1275 Old 03-27-2019, 08:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by danbez View Post
Does 3d-blu-ray monitor this forum? I hate how their envelopes are glued! I had destroyed a few of them and had to use invisible table to fix and send back the disks. This is happening for months now... Come on guys, it's not really difficult to replace the glue you use!
Do you mean the front? I usually just peel carefully from the middle on both sides and they tear enough not to put any tape there. I just have to be careful.
post #1263 of 1275 Old 03-27-2019, 08:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodiuh View Post
Do you mean the front? I usually just peel carefully from the middle on both sides and they tear enough not to put any tape there. I just have to be careful.
Yes, the front one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1264 of 1275 Old 04-17-2019, 01:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
A couple of thoughts from a new user.

I signed up for the service last week and got my first disc, despite a few quirks of the website, the service seems quite nice. One of the discs I ordered was a "short wait" but it still shipped within a day or two. I do have a couple of thoughts, so far, in case 3BR is still monitoring the forum.

The current plans are n-discs-at-a-time, keep-as-long-as-you-want plans, with various monthly limits. This makes a lot of sense for people who like to take their time with discs. However, I see a lot of consternation in the forums about shipping time, back orders, and trying to get one's money's worth in a given month. One thing that seems like it might help with this would be alternative option of n-discs-per-month with a seven day max per disc. That way, if one were on a 5-disc per month plan, one could order up to five discs at any time during the month (regardless of whether one already had a disc out) but would get charged late fees for keeping a disc longer than a week (to prevent one from trying to keep all five discs for the whole month).

Also, for me personally, a 3 disc per month plan for $12.49ish per month would be the sweet spot, but I don't know if there would be interest in adding more tiers.

In general, I've been quite impressed with the selection, and look forward to renting more items in the future.
post #1265 of 1275 Old 04-17-2019, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Erik- I've been a happy customer for several years and usually order all their 3D disks when they come out. BUT, I never felt the membership was a good deal as some months there is nothing new. 3D is the only incentive for me because the 2D BR's are much cheaper and fast at Red Box. But with all the content on Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime, I have more than enough 2D content for the watch time per day. So, when it comes to 3D BR the rental service is great with one exception-- As an a la carte renter, I am at the back of the line to rent and typically have to wait for 15-20 days for the disk to ship because members get the new releases first and then just store them selfishly on the shelf preventing others from seeing the disk. I normally receive a disk and watch it that same day and return it the very next day. I feel everyone should strive to do that. I was horrified when I read your post that you thought subscription people selfishly select their disks to just store on the shelf for a month. If anyone out there does this or even store the disk for a week, I'm calling you a selfish a-hole. It's a rental service, not a leasing service. Watch the disk within 48 hours and send it back so others can see it too!

FYI- Erik, when 3DBR rentals first started the disks were much lower cost to rent. They had to keep raising their prices to compensate for the long return time people selfishly kept disks out of circulation.

My 3D and 360VR videos and more
Don Landis HT System: Projector Sony VPL VW665ES Players: Samsung UBD K8500 OPPO BD93 Sony BDP S6200 All Regions Player Denon AVR S940, 7.1 JBL Professional series and Klipsch PS3, XBOX360, Dish VIP722K; 3D Edit Suite:Adobe Premiere, Edius7.53, Vegas Pro v13, Power Director16, i9-7980XE/GTX1080Ti, LG 3D TV DM2752
post #1266 of 1275 Old 04-17-2019, 08:08 AM
UHD Addict

I watch the discs regularly but if I haven't watched a titles after a few days I send it back. This did not used to be the case for me. i remember when I rented from netflix, back in the HD DVD and BD days, between 2006 and 2009. A couple of titles I had out for close to a year and never watched them. Since then I always send a title back if I haven't watched it in a few days.

But to be fair, the rental service does allow you to do this. You are allowed to keep the title as long as you want.

But I typically don't have these issues since I am renting new titles 98% of the time. So each week I get two to three new titles shipped to me. Since there are new titles out every week. But also most of my rentals are UHD BDs. I can't even remember the last time I rented a 3D BD title. And I rarely rent any 2K BD titles any more either.

post #1267 of 1275 Old 04-17-2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post
3D is the only incentive for me because the 2D BR's are much cheaper and fast at Red Box. But with all the content on Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime, I have more than enough 2D content for the watch time per day.
Personally, one of the reasons I joined 3BR instead of one of the other 4K services is the fact that they offer several 2D Blu-rays I want to see that Netflix doesn't have.

Quote:
So, when it comes to 3D BR the rental service is great with one exception-- As an a la carte renter, I am at the back of the line to rent and typically have to wait for 15-20 days for the disk to ship because members get the new releases first and then just store them selfishly on the shelf preventing others from seeing the disk.
Is this really true? The impression I've gotten from previous posts is that à la carte and subscribers alike are placed in a single queue and receive the disc in the order in which their order was placed, with the exception of folks who choose to pay the $3 to jump the queue.

Quote:
I normally receive a disk and watch it that same day and return it the very next day. I feel everyone should strive to do that. I was horrified when I read your post that you thought subscription people selfishly select their disks to just store on the shelf for a month. If anyone out there does this or even store the disk for a week, I'm calling you a selfish a-hole. It's a rental service, not a leasing service. Watch the disk within 48 hours and send it back so others can see it too!

FYI- Erik, when 3DBR rentals first started the disks were much lower cost to rent. They had to keep raising their prices to compensate for the long return time people selfishly kept disks out of circulation.
I don't think this is fair. The subscriptions specifically allow keeping a disc as long as one wants, with no late fee, as one of its benefits, but limits the number of discs one can have out at a time. This is the subscription plan 3BR is currently choosing to offer. Calling people who use the service as designed "a-hole"s comes across as unconstructive and overly aggressive.

3BR are the ones who decided to set up the subscription plans as they are, so it is on them to ensure they have enough discs to meet their 20-day guarantee even if someone keeps their disc a little longer. If anything, I imagine people keeping discs longer saves 3BR money, as it's fewer discs to ship per month and thus less shipping cost.

I was merely suggesting that having an alternative plan formulation, where the per-disc rental time is limited instead of the number of discs out at a time. It seems like it would address many of the concerns listed here.
post #1268 of 1275 Old 04-19-2019, 03:31 PM

One additional note: I agree with others that the glue along the center holding the top flap (with the customers address) to the rest of the envelope is quite annoying and difficult to remove without at least slightly tearing the envelope.

Netflix uses a paper sticker for this purpose, which is easy to slice through with a letter opener when opening. Could 3BR use a similar sticker instead of the glue? (Or maybe one on each side, since the envelope is wider.
post #1269 of 1275 Old 04-21-2019, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Jensen View Post
One additional note: I agree with others that the glue along the center holding the top flap (with the customers address) to the rest of the envelope is quite annoying and difficult to remove without at least slightly tearing the envelope.

Netflix uses a paper sticker for this purpose, which is easy to slice through with a letter opener when opening. Could 3BR use a similar sticker instead of the glue? (Or maybe one on each side, since the envelope is wider.
Also agree the middle glue is a problem but I am just careful not to ruin the address and so far have not ruined any here. The postal bar code is the most vulnerable.

My 3D and 360VR videos and more
Don Landis HT System: Projector Sony VPL VW665ES Players: Samsung UBD K8500 OPPO BD93 Sony BDP S6200 All Regions Player Denon AVR S940, 7.1 JBL Professional series and Klipsch PS3, XBOX360, Dish VIP722K; 3D Edit Suite:Adobe Premiere, Edius7.53, Vegas Pro v13, Power Director16, i9-7980XE/GTX1080Ti, LG 3D TV DM2752
post #1270 of 1275 Old 04-21-2019, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 34
You guys gotta see it like a game! I look forward to those middle glue challenges. I take my time and slowly open each side, sliding my finger ever so carefully. I have the ripped words down to about a half a line!

I found my first “4K didn’t help the film” film in Glass. What a bummer that was.
post #1271 of 1275 Old 04-23-2019, 05:39 PM

Liked: 12
I've also had issues with the mailers tearing due to the adhesive. Here is what 3D responded with via email. Sounds promising.

"As for our mailers we have spoken with our supplier about the adhesive issue. Hopefully they will rectify this issue with their next shipment."

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
post #1272 of 1275 Old 04-24-2019, 10:28 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJeff View Post
I've also had issues with the mailers tearing due to the adhesive. Here is what 3D responded with via email. Sounds promising.

"As for our mailers we have spoken with our supplier about the adhesive issue. Hopefully they will rectify this issue with their next shipment."

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
I would not be hopeful. Since the mailers have been this way for many, many years.
I have a supply of Scotch gift tape that I put on each mailer, to make sure there are no issues.

post #1273 of 1275 Old 04-30-2019, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 44
sticky mailers

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I would not be hopeful. Since the mailers have been this way for many, many years.
I have a supply of Scotch gift tape that I put on each mailer, to make sure there are no issues.
I've been a customer since 2016, and the adhesive was not a problem at first, at least the adhesive that caused the middle of the return envelope to be torn or thinned when opened. That problem came later. I don't think there was such an adhesive in the beginning, and the envelopes worked fine without it.

I also tear off the exposed adhesive strip at the edge of the return envelope to prevent it from possibly causing the envelope to get stuck in postal service machinery. This is another extraneous adhesive feature that should be dispensed with.

While we are on the subject of envelopes. How about providing tracking? It would be great to know when they are coming. It is over a mile to my mailbox and I don't check it every day.
post #1274 of 1275 Old 04-30-2019, 11:07 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rural scribe View Post
I've been a customer since 2016, and the adhesive was not a problem at first, at least the adhesive that caused the middle of the return envelope to be torn or thinned when opened. That problem came later. I don't think there was such an adhesive in the beginning, and the envelopes worked fine without it.

I also tear off the exposed adhesive strip at the edge of the return envelope to prevent it from possibly causing the envelope to get stuck in postal service machinery. This is another extraneous adhesive feature that should be dispensed with.

While we are on the subject of envelopes. How about providing tracking? It would be great to know when they are coming. It is over a mile to my mailbox and I don't check it every day.
Just sign up for Informed Delivery from the USPS. It's free and you can see almost every piece of mail headed toward your address. Each piece of mail has a picture taken of it as it goes through the machine. So you can go to the webpage or app and see exactly what pieces of mail should be delivered each day.
rec head likes this.

post #1275 of 1275 Old 04-30-2019, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Just sign up for Informed Delivery from the USPS. It's free and you can see almost every piece of mail headed toward your address. Each piece of mail has a picture taken of it as it goes through the machine. So you can go to the webpage or app and see exactly what pieces of mail should be delivered each day.
Sounds good to me. I will check it out. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Content

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , How To Train Your Dragon Two Disc Blu Ray 3d Dvd Combo , Tron Legacy Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page