Netflix 3D Streaming is live - Page 20 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 56Likes

post #571 of 703 Old 10-22-2014, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked: 438
All my devices have it but the list is incomplete. Some titles offered in 3D are missing from the group as of last week. Haven't had time for 3D anything in 4 days.

My 3D and 360VR videos and more
Don Landis HT System: Projector Sony VPL VW665ES Players: Samsung UBD K8500 OPPO BD93 Sony BDP S6200 All Regions Player Denon AVR S940, 7.1 JBL Professional series and Klipsch PS3, XBOX360, Dish VIP722K; 3D Edit Suite:Adobe Premiere, Edius7.53, Vegas Pro v13, Power Director16, i9-7980XE/GTX1080Ti, LG 3D TV DM2752
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 703 Old 10-24-2014, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cla55clown View Post
The 3D row only shows up on certain players/streamers. My Sony S5100 Blu-ray player has it but my same year model Sony TV Netflix app does not.
I have two Sony 790s. I'll be pissed if they cheaped out on this as it was their best player for quite a while.

Is there a list I can search for manually?
post #573 of 703 Old 10-25-2014, 02:06 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Also, some single titles are actually episodes so when you go to those ( mostly cartoons) you'll find they have the various lists of different shows under one listing.

Go to Search and type 3D. For awhile some of the Red Bull 3D productions were not listed in the the 3D category but were still available. There is also a 24p / 3D "Netflix" demo that has some interesting scenes that was not listed in the 3D category too. The people tasked with handling this task are really not very good at attention to details. Must be work overloaded. Especially since several of us have complained and still nothing is corrected. It's not difficult to find the 3D programs not on the list if you just do the search.

Don Landis HT System: Projector Sony VPL VW665ES Players: Samsung UBD K8500 OPPO BD93 Sony BDP S6200 All Regions Player Denon AVR S940, 7.1 JBL Professional series and Klipsch PS3, XBOX360, Dish VIP722K; 3D Edit Suite:Adobe Premiere, Edius7.53, Vegas Pro v13, Power Director16, i9-7980XE/GTX1080Ti, LG 3D TV DM2752
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #574 of 703 Old 10-29-2014, 06:31 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post
Be sure to count the titles under a category. I recall when the 3D group was first made available, the count was 53 but that included the episodes within a category. Not just cartoons either. for example there was a Military training series that appears as one title but it is really 3 if I recall correctly.

Roland- Good job! What you also did was let them know that someone is actually watching their 3D.
Someone I thought on this web site had created a list of the 3D titles (when they had over 50) but I can't find it. I see they added two of the titles I told them were missing Beowulf and The Hole.
post #575 of 703 Old 10-29-2014, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhand View Post
I have two Sony 790s. I'll be pissed if they cheaped out on this as it was their best player for quite a while.

Guess you'll be pissed...as I am. I have the 790 and no NF 3D. Sony just did a software update and added 3D to the PS4 but they will not do the same for the 790. (Although they have removed plenty, including all 3D apps.) Lack of product support is one reason I will NEVER purchase another Sony item again.
post #576 of 703 Old 10-31-2014, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandL View Post
Someone I thought on this web site had created a list of the 3D titles (when they had over 50) but I can't find it. I see they added two of the titles I told them were missing Beowulf and The Hole.
I don't know about that list. Don't recall. I only recall us discussing the count of titles.

Anyway, since you made the effort to have Netflix add the missing titles to the 3D category did you see the two Red Bull titles?

I remember RedBull: Minor Threat 3D was in the category for a couple months. It was a really great production in 3D. Then Netflix acquired RedBull: Cubed Pipe 3D, which IMO, was not as exciting but still a 3D title. Instead of having the two titles in the 3D category, the guy who does that just replaced the Minor Threat with Cubed Pipe, yet Minor Threat was still up hidden in the many titles where you had to know about it to find it. I haven't watched it in about a month so I don't know if it is still there.

Cinema13- I understand your frustration with Sony. Trust me they are a pretty snooty company when it comes to suggestions and complaints in all their departments except the Creative Software group who are mostly a US division. The Japanese are a very proud people and it's been my experience at NAB they don't like American suggestions. The software division are a good bunch. This is the group that does Vegas Video editing. Probably the best video editing software package in the world, especially for 3D from consumer all the way up to authoring the top 3D BluRay titles.

But you are justifiably frustrated. Unfortunately, if they are going to upgrade your model they will do it on their own time frame. They will tell you the same thing I will say. That is if you want Netflix 3D, they have a model that does Netflix 3D and you should upgrade to that model. They may even tell you your model is no longer supported and then smile at you. It's worse when they do that face to face at these trade shows. It's how they are. Plus it hurts more when discussing Broadcast cameras where you spent $40,000 and they act like you should just scrap that model and buy the new one for $65,000.
But, in my honest Opinion, Sony has some of the best hardware for Home Theater you can buy. I love the projector VW-90ES and also went with their model BDPS6200 3D BD player that is loaded with extras, including Netflix 3D at the full 1080P and Vudu at the full 1080P and full audio quality. Plus I have the model with the internal chips added so I can have region free. I built a large array of all models on the market and the Sony 6200 was the winner for everything including cost for the package. Not that it was the cheapest, but that it offered more features for the $ than the others. The player itself feels cheaply constructed compared to my OPPO but for $149 and what it does, I can't complain. I don't need to excavate a mountain of dirt with it, just play my 3D disks from anywhere in the world and play streaming 3D content, including Netflix, YouTube, and Vudu at the best quality of any device I have available.

post #577 of 703 Old 11-02-2014, 01:32 AM

Quote:

Cinema13- I understand your frustration with Sony. Trust me they are a pretty snooty company when it comes to suggestions and complaints in all their departments except the Creative Software group who are mostly a US division. The Japanese are a very proud people and it's been my experience at NAB they don't like American suggestions. The software division are a good bunch. This is the group that does Vegas Video editing. Probably the best video editing software package in the world, especially for 3D from consumer all the way up to authoring the top 3D BluRay titles.

But you are justifiably frustrated. Unfortunately, if they are going to upgrade your model they will do it on their own time frame. They will tell you the same thing I will say. That is if you want Netflix 3D, they have a model that does Netflix 3D and you should upgrade to that model. They may even tell you your model is no longer supported and then smile at you. It's worse when they do that face to face at these trade shows. It's how they are. Plus it hurts more when discussing Broadcast cameras where you spent $40,000 and they act like you should just scrap that model and buy the new one for $65,000.
But, in my honest Opinion, Sony has some of the best hardware for Home Theater you can buy. I love the projector VW-90ES and also went with their model BDPS6200 3D BD player that is loaded with extras, including Netflix 3D at the full 1080P and Vudu at the full 1080P and full audio quality. Plus I have the model with the internal chips added so I can have region free. I built a large array of all models on the market and the Sony 6200 was the winner for everything including cost for the package. Not that it was the cheapest, but that it offered more features for the $ than the others. The player itself feels cheaply constructed compared to my OPPO but for $149 and what it does, I can't complain. I don't need to excavate a mountain of dirt with it, just play my 3D disks from anywhere in the world and play streaming 3D content, including Netflix, YouTube, and Vudu at the best quality of any device I have available.
Well, my 790 isn't even a year old. Didn't think Sony expected us to scrap it so promptly! Problem is, the 6200 isn't a valid option as it only has one HDMI port. Which means (as I'm sure you know) that those without receivers built in the last 2 - 3 years would not be able to utilize lossless audio.

To ass insult to injury, the lower-end Sony 5200 DOES have NF 3D. Yet their "flagship" player (at least until this year) must do without it.

I agree that on the hardware production side, they do a fine job.
But in many instances, other mfgrs do as good (or better). So for me, there is no need to support a company with my dollars that has little-to-no concern for product support...and even less for customer satisfaction. Naturally, I am fully aware that they won't miss my money...after all, they've got plenty! But I feel better in principal.
old corps likes this.
post #578 of 703 Old 11-02-2014, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 2589 Post(s)
Liked: 2312
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post
Well, my 790 isn't even a year old. Didn't think Sony expected us to scrap it so promptly! Problem is, the 6200 isn't a valid option as it only has one HDMI port. Which means (as I'm sure you know) that those without receivers built in the last 2 - 3 years would not be able to utilize lossless audio.

To ass insult to injury, the lower-end Sony 5200 DOES have NF 3D. Yet their "flagship" player (at least until this year) must do without it.

I agree that on the hardware production side, they do a fine job.
But in many instances, other mfgrs do as good (or better). So for me, there is no need to support a company with my dollars that has little-to-no concern for product support...and even less for customer satisfaction. Naturally, I am fully aware that they won't miss my money...after all, they've got plenty! But I feel better in principal.
Are we sure that the bottleneck isn't Netflix themselves and not Sony?
post #579 of 703 Old 11-02-2014, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Pretty sure it's Sony. Big brand like that, they release a new product, and then (more or less) completely drop support for it immediately in terms of updates. They just move on to the next product, the one that's coming out in three months that will make the one you just bought completely obsolete. They've got so many different makes and models on the market now that it's simply impossible to update them all.

Frankly, I'm not too worried about my player being able to play N3D, since I've already watched both movies on the service that I want to see. Until Netflix actually releases some %^&*ing 3D content, there's not much point.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #580 of 703 Old 11-03-2014, 01:57 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Cinema13- Yes, I forgot you are using a non-compliant AVR for 3D and have to feed two HDMI's out of your player. That limitation lasted for about a month here and got old real quick but my AVR was over 10 years old so it was due for replacement. I added the Denon 4311ci. and also upgraded my speakers for 7.1 as well. I guess the next time I replace it will be for 4K 3D plus atmos. I'm in no rush on that.

Anyway, I'm sure you would just complain that the compliment of Netflix 3D is horrible anyway. Until these services get on board with current titles and decent prices, 3D BD is the only way to go. Vudu and Sony store has new titles but they are as expensive as the disks. And, I would recommend adding an All Regions mod dongle for under $100 to your player and open up titles not offered here in the states. Rental of titles is the only real bargain in town.
gamermwm likes this.

post #581 of 703 Old 11-06-2014, 01:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Cinema13- Yes, I forgot you are using a non-compliant AVR for 3D and have to feed two HDMI's out of your player. That limitation lasted for about a month here and got old real quick but my AVR was over 10 years old so it was due for replacement. I added the Denon 4311ci. and also upgraded my speakers for 7.1 as well. I guess the next time I replace it will be for 4K 3D plus atmos. I'm in no rush on that.

Anyway, I'm sure you would just complain that the compliment of Netflix 3D is horrible anyway. Until these services get on board with current titles and decent prices, 3D BD is the only way to go. Vudu and Sony store has new titles but they are as expensive as the disks. And, I would recommend adding an All Regions mod dongle for under $100 to your player and open up titles not offered here in the states. Rental of titles is the only real bargain in town.
Can you recommend specifics as far as one of the All Region Dongles you mentioned? I think I'm going to look into it. I've heard of region free BD players but I'd like to stick with the dual HDMI out Samsung D6700 bluray player I currently have - if I can use an accessory such as you mentioned to unlock it

What is the meaning of life?
www.iamsecond.com/films
post #582 of 703 Old 11-06-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Anyway, I'm sure you would just complain that the compliment of Netflix 3D is horrible anyway.
I actually would like to see Joe Dante's THE HOLE and BEOWULF.
(Yes, I know the latter is being released on 3D disc overseas.) And I'm sure there probably are a few more. (I've heard that there are even episodes of SPARTACUS in 3D. But of course, no way I can confirm.)

Last edited by cinema13; 11-06-2014 at 07:35 PM.
post #583 of 703 Old 11-08-2014, 01:33 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamermwm View Post
Can you recommend specifics as far as one of the All Region Dongles you mentioned? I think I'm going to look into it. I've heard of region free BD players but I'd like to stick with the dual HDMI out Samsung D6700 bluray player I currently have - if I can use an accessory such as you mentioned to unlock it
The process to convert existing players to region free varies with each player. I suggest you do some homework and learn what is required to satisfy your specific needs. There are different ways to achieve region free playback. One company I saw that makes a plugin USB dongle for some players is JVB Digital or 220Electronics. I looked for your model and did not find anyone who makes a kit for your Samsung D6700 bluray player. In the forums, for region free, it appears the experts claim this player cannot be made region free. Sorry.

In my case, because I wanted a player that could also do Netflix 3D as well as other apps, including YouTube 3D and Vudu 3D, I ended up getting a whole new second player. So I was also in the market for a new player too.

post #584 of 703 Old 11-08-2014, 01:39 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
I actually would like to see Joe Dante's THE HOLE and BEOWULF.
(Yes, I know the latter is being released on 3D disc overseas.) And I'm sure there probably are a few more. (I've heard that there are even episodes of SPARTACUS in 3D. But of course, no way I can confirm.)
IIRC, Beowulf is one of those motion tracking animated films where the actors look almost real but aren't. I'm not really much of a fan of these. The Hole was in my category of low image quality 3D. I guess you'd have to be a fan of these to enjoy them. For me, watch once and move on.

Haven't seen any Spartacus 3D titles in my browsing.

post #585 of 703 Old 11-08-2014, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
The final battle in the ring of fire from the last episode of the Gods of the Arena season got a 3D conversion for the BluRay release. I have not seen it myself but have read from several sources that it was well done. Beyond that, I am not aware of any other parts of the series being made available in 3D.
post #586 of 703 Old 11-10-2014, 12:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Don, I put in a search for "Red Bull: Minor Threat" and found a listing. I'm playing the flick as I type this, but I did not see a 3D Version. How do I access Netflix hidden 3D Library?
post #587 of 703 Old 11-10-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
IIRC, Beowulf is one of those motion tracking animated films where the actors look almost real but aren't. I'm not really much of a fan of these. The Hole was in my category of low image quality 3D. I guess you'd have to be a fan of these to enjoy them. For me, watch once and move on.

I've heard from others that there are Spartacus eps in 3D...but since Sony won't allow the access, I can't verify. I'm not surprised if The Hole is one-and done...but would still like to see it in 3D, since I understand it was filmed natively.

And Beowulf...I've always wanted to see in 3D.
post #588 of 703 Old 11-10-2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:
I've heard from others that there are Spartacus eps in 3D...but since Sony won't allow the access, I can't verify. I'm not surprised if The Hole is one-and done...but would still like to see it in 3D, since I understand it was filmed natively.

And Beowulf...I've always wanted to see in 3D.
Are we talking about the Starz series "Spartacus"? I've always thought that would have been fantastic in 3D. Those endless fight scenes.....
post #589 of 703 Old 11-10-2014, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
Are we talking about the Starz series "Spartacus"? I've always thought that would have been fantastic in 3D. Those endless fight scenes.....
Yes, and I know that one segment of GODS IN THE ARENA was in 3D on Blu. If there is more on NF 3D (I've heard there was), I have no way of checking. Not that Netflix would make it easy anyway.)
post #590 of 703 Old 11-11-2014, 12:53 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajieboy View Post
Don, I put in a search for "Red Bull: Minor Threat" and found a listing. I'm playing the flick as I type this, but I did not see a 3D Version. How do I access Netflix hidden 3D Library?
I just checked and it appears that many of the 3D programs have been pulled. Also I no longer have a 3D program section. I just looked on my WDTV Box app. I will check on the Sony devices tomorrow, but this does not look good for Netflix 3D.

Beowulf 3D is also pulled. I found just 4 programs left in 3D which is quite a reduction.

Time to call and launch an official complaint.

post #591 of 703 Old 11-11-2014, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Quoted: 1966 Post(s)
Liked: 3270
Quote:
I just checked and it appears that many of the 3D programs have been pulled. Also I no longer have a 3D program section. I just looked on my WDTV Box app. I will check on the Sony devices tomorrow, but this does not look good for Netflix 3D.

Beowulf 3D is also pulled. I found just 4 programs left in 3D which is quite a reduction.

Time to call and launch an official complaint.
That's odd. On my Samsung TV I still have a 3D section; programs I've watched (RED BULL MINOR THREAT, RED BULL CUBED PIPE, BEOWULF, LIVE FIRE, SCARY TALES, etc.) are still in the lineup.
post #592 of 703 Old 11-11-2014, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Thanks Rudy1. I should have checked my other Devices last night but it was getting late. I still had the one set of 3D animations ( can;'t recall the title) and the one just called "Netflix" billed as a demo for 23.976 fps and 3D. The look of the app was different on my WDTV too.

Did anyone ever confirm who really is responsible for these apps and how they are populated? I'm tired of just activists putting up their opinions like they have facts. When it comes to 3D there are so many changes and different versions offered. Everytime I turn on Netflix and it says updating my app, I wonder what will go missing now.

post #593 of 703 Old 11-11-2014, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Thanks Rudy1. I should have checked my other Devices last night but it was getting late. I still had the one set of 3D animations ( can;'t recall the title) and the one just called "Netflix" billed as a demo for 23.976 fps and 3D. The look of the app was different on my WDTV too.

Did anyone ever confirm who really is responsible for these apps and how they are populated? I'm tired of just activists putting up their opinions like they have facts. When it comes to 3D there are so many changes and different versions offered. Everytime I turn on Netflix and it says updating my app, I wonder what will go missing now.
Quick question. Was that 3D section meant to be all the 3D titles, or just suggestions or some other sampling? If something doesn't show in that section, does this mean it's not available?
post #594 of 703 Old 11-11-2014, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

It appeared to me that the 3D section was almost all titles except for a few oversights. Just because it didn't appear in the 3D section didn't mean it was not available, in 2D or 3D. If I saw a title went missing from the 3D list, I would do a search for it and then find it that way.

post #595 of 703 Old 11-11-2014, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It appeared to me that the 3D section was almost all titles except for a few oversights. Just because it didn't appear in the 3D section didn't mean it was not available, in 2D or 3D. If I saw a title went missing from the 3D list, I would do a search for it and then find it that way.
Thanks Don. Late last night, I tried to use Netflix app on my Sony 3D BR Player and it worked after I updated as I was requested to do. I was able to find the surf flick with the 3D. Then, I tried out the Netflix app on my Panasonic 60ST60, and it worked too. After reading more, it seems my Roku 2 is not supported for Netflix 3D, so that was the culprit. Today, I cranked up the TV to show my wife, but for some reason I'm having a network issue and can't access the Netflix app, even though the internet is working fine on my computer as well as showing me local weather on the TV, which is also network connected.. I'm working on the issue right now.
post #596 of 703 Old 11-11-2014, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Well I just got my 3D projector back up after a . . . lengthy . . . reno to the HT. I was hoping to try out NF 3D again. When I last tried it only worked in the middle of the night. I would ask if that still the case, but it will be a moot point of the content is gone. Any confirmation on the status?
post #597 of 703 Old 11-11-2014, 07:02 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Just confirmed Netflix 3D collection is back but it doesn't contain half the content hidden in the search selection. Just got done watching Two of my favorite Red Bull 3D, Minor Threat and Cubed Pipe. Just couldn't resist watching those again.

post #598 of 703 Old 11-12-2014, 12:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just confirmed Netflix 3D collection is back but it doesn't contain half the content hidden in the search selection. Just got done watching Two of my favorite Red Bull 3D, Minor Threat and Cubed Pipe. Just couldn't resist watching those again.
Yes, that Red Bull Minor Threat is really cool to watch over and over. I got everything working again properly, and can see the 3D Section, etc. from my apps on my ST60 and Sony player. Netflix on my Roku 2 does not seem to support it though. Since I've already got the apps, I'm going to wait on the next Roku generation before I upgrade. Also, I've got the Amazon Fire TV Stick pre-ordered, which is due to arrive at the first of the year. I got the 50% off deal at the end of October and couldn't pass it up!
post #599 of 703 Old 11-12-2014, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Just confirmed Netflix 3D collection is back but it doesn't contain half the content hidden in the search selection.
Good. That's what I was suspecting / hoping....
post #600 of 703 Old 11-12-2014, 06:52 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

You may want to expand your horizons beyond Roku brands. While it has been the classic Goto device for IPTV, for people like us, looking for 3D compatibility/support, there are better choices. Last I saw Roku didn't even support You Tube in 3D.

I boiled it down to two choices, Apple Tv and WDTV. The WDTV won in the end due to price but believe it of not Apple TV supported YouTube 3D content. WDTV supported Netflix 3D, YouTube 3D, and Vudu 3D all in 1080P and 7.1 audio if offered. Last I saw the WDTV was about half the price of Apple TV. I'm not familiar with Amazon Fire Stick. I'll have to look that one up.

When I looked last night, I still did not see the 3D collection in Netflix on my WDTV but the individual programs could be found in search and played now in 3D. The Sony Blu Ray Player had the 3D collection but still missing many of the original animation 3D programs. The only ones I saw left was the Charlie Chaplain and Oasis. RedBull Cubed Pipe is a new addition in 3D added sometime last summer.
cajieboy likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Content

Tags
Netflix

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page