post #3811 of 4200 Old 10-12-2018, 03:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1050 Post(s)
Liked: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfa973 View Post
Stop searching for technical explanations for the 3D demise! There are none! 3D is gone because the vast majority of buyers did not cared about the 3D! It's very simple! When the interest will grow again we will see 3D rise again!
Sorry, but that's not an explanation. They didn't remove support for 720p because it was unpopular.... The 20 year thing is horse crap too. One cycle isn't enough to make a theory (i.e. 3D never stuck around this long either previous "cycle" and it was never on home video and it's still in theaters). The 120Hz thing... 120Hz and 240Hz are better period. Need has nothing to do with it. Again, you can explain away cheap sets, but the fact they wiped them all seems to have more to do with trying to cram 4K down our throats (as opposed to offering an alternative that 4K can't compete with on its own since there is not 4K 3D standard). But that's stupid and short-sighted too, IMO. My point is only that keeping 3D around for just a niche crowd doesn't actually hurt 4K sales much (people tend to want both that want 3D) and keeping a couple of TV models (even at larger sizes) that support it wouldn't cost much either. It's more like some dim-wits at the top are idiots. There's no other "good" explanation. Morons do moronic things.
King Vidiot likes this.

Click THEATER (Updated: May-22-2019) for pics: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Dialog Lift - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub; 2nd Room (Updated Apr-22-2019): 48" Plasma TV, Carver AL-III, Carver C-5 Pre-Amp, Technics SH-AC500D, Dual Carver TFM-35x Amps (Active Bi-Amp), Klipsch Surrounds ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S, LD, GameCube : Props (Updated 7-5-19)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3812 of 4200 Old 10-12-2018, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumX View Post
Sorry, but that's not an explanation. They didn't remove support for 720p because it was unpopular....
You compare apples with oranges...

Every 3D generation was better than previous and superseded the old one. As I said above, the reasons are not technical and not about the implementation price of the 3D feature.

Quote:
The 20 year thing is horse crap too. One cycle isn't enough to make a theory (i.e. 3D never stuck around this long either previous "cycle" and it was never on home video and it's still in theaters).
There is more that one cycle... We have 3 cycles (50', 80' and 00'). We are at the end of the third.

Quote:
The 120Hz thing... 120Hz and 240Hz are better period.
Nope, not a technical reason!

Quote:
Need has nothing to do with it. Again, you can explain away cheap sets, but the fact they wiped them all seems to have more to do with trying to cram 4K down our throats (as opposed to offering an alternative that 4K can't compete with on its own since there is not 4K 3D standard). But that's stupid and short-sighted too, IMO. My point is only that keeping 3D around for just a niche crowd doesn't actually hurt 4K sales much (people tend to want both that want 3D) and keeping a couple of TV models (even at larger sizes) that support it wouldn't cost much either. It's more like some dim-wits at the top are idiots. There's no other "good" explanation. Morons do moronic things.
Nope, just the balance between the demand and the offer was unsustainable. Since very, very, very few customers requested 3D TV's, the offer was lower and lower, and during the 2015-2016 years the 3D TV's were gone. The same for curved TV's.
post #3813 of 4200 Old 10-12-2018, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seilerbird View Post
This is very true. It is simply a marketing decision. 3D is not selling in quantities to keep the bean counters happy so they simply eliminate it. 3D makes a reappearance every twenty years or so, so it will be back. Meanwhile I have no problem finding used 3D titles for cheap on Amazon.
One thing is for certain that with 2 3D LG 65 Inch panels (including a glorious OLED C6) finally I won't be so tempted to upgrade every 3 or 4 years so as to keep enjoying 3D. I really hope I can keep these panels going for the next 10 years and perhaps 3D will have returned by then. Keeping a TV for 10 years??? God I'm becoming my parents!

Last edited by SteveCaron; 10-12-2018 at 08:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3814 of 4200 Old 10-12-2018, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfa973 View Post
Quote:
Sorry, but that's not an explanation. They didn't remove support for 720p because it was unpopular....
You compare apples with oranges...
And you wax philosophic. It's not an explanation.

There's only been ONE so-called "cycle". A cycle requires something to repeat and it requires intervals. I addressed both already, but apparently some don't catch on.

50s + 80s supposes a cycle and one that lasts about 5 years each time. Neither had a home format. You suppose "this cycle" but 3D movies haven't disappeared from theaters. Other than IMAX in the US alone, I see no signs of 3D disappearing from theaters. To presuppose the home market (which they seem to want to purposely kill off) represents the theatrical is an error, IMO. At the very least, if there is a cycle, it has already gone nearly twice the length of the previous ones and perhaps 30x the movies combined.

Quote:
Nope, just the balance between the demand and the offer was unsustainable. Since very, very, very few customers requested 3D TV's, the offer was lower and lower, and during the 2015-2016 years the 3D TV's were gone. The same for curved TV's.
I disagree. Some of us were waiting for prices to come down and/or 4K combined sets or projectors. I didn't buy my projector until last year for that reason. Hell, Bluray didn't even saturate before 4K came out. No, its obvious they purposely killed 3D to push the failing 4K format that no one asked for and few wanted. HDR was added after the fact specifically because 4K by itself is utterly pointless on 55-65" sets. They sell 4K sets because that's all there is above tiny sizes, but the Ultra discs are another story.

A friend of mine can't tell 2K from SD DVDs even on his 55" 4K set. He couldn't care less about Blurays, let alone Ultra ones. No one had trouble telling 3D from 2D by comparison, but they priced the players and discs out of the stratosphere early on and made them separate from 2D players, etc. That put people off. If there's a cycle this time, its because they made one. Cinema itself is in danger now. I go twice a year on average. I'd rather watch at home for reasons that should be obvious (high prices, rude patrons, etc.)
Frank714 likes this.

Click THEATER (Updated: May-22-2019) for pics: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Dialog Lift - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub; 2nd Room (Updated Apr-22-2019): 48" Plasma TV, Carver AL-III, Carver C-5 Pre-Amp, Technics SH-AC500D, Dual Carver TFM-35x Amps (Active Bi-Amp), Klipsch Surrounds ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S, LD, GameCube : Props (Updated 7-5-19)
post #3815 of 4200 Old 10-12-2018, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1229 Post(s)
Liked: 488
More signs of Blu ray 3D decline:

IMAX releases of A Beautiful Planet and Journey to the South Pacific both remove the Blu ray 3D option and only offer UHD and regular 2D Blu ray.

A Beautiful Planet was filmed in 2D and converted for IMAX 3D screens so I can forgive that one but MacGillivray Freeman's Journey to the South Pacific were filmed with IMAX 3D cameras. This is a first for IMAX 3D films not to release in 3D for the home market since the current 3D boom emerged back in 2009.

Other signs of Blu ray 3D decline include Mission Impossible: Fallout with no scheduled Blu ray 3D anywhere in the world. Also, Hotel Transylvania 3 and Alpha currently do not have a Blu ray 3D release scheduled. If the trend to not release 3D films on the Blu ray 3D format continues 3D content could disappear by 2020.
Frank714 likes this.

This line intentionally left blank.

Last edited by tomtastic; 10-12-2018 at 01:50 PM.
post #3816 of 4200 Old 10-12-2018, 02:19 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8970 Post(s)
Liked: 5751
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
More signs of Blu ray 3D decline:

IMAX releases of A Beautiful Planet and Journey to the South Pacific both remove the Blu ray 3D option and only offer UHD and regular 2D Blu ray.

A Beautiful Planet was filmed in 2D and converted for IMAX 3D screens so I can forgive that one but MacGillivray Freeman's Journey to the South Pacific were filmed with IMAX 3D cameras. This is a first for IMAX 3D films not to release in 3D for the home market since the current 3D boom emerged back in 2009.

Other signs of Blu ray 3D decline include Mission Impossible: Fallout with no scheduled Blu ray 3D anywhere in the world. Also, Hotel Transylvania 3 and Alpha currently do not have a Blu ray 3D release scheduled. If the trend to not release 3D films on the Blu ray 3D format continues 3D content could disappear by 2020.
I see those IMAX titles are the first ones to include HDR10+.

49TB unRAID1a--53TB unRAID2--73TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #3817 of 4200 Old 10-12-2018, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked: 330
I think there are no 3D sets anymore for a couple reasons: Everyone that wanted one... bought one during the 7 years they were plentiful. Those that dragged their feet are not enough to keep production going. I don't mind they don't sell em' anymore as long as when mine doesn't serve me well any longer, they start releasing them again.
One of those reasons is when panels commonly exceed the 65" models in their heyday without breaking the bank.

I've always felt that once the public is milked on purchasing 4k and 8k exclusively, 3D will be reintroduced so we can be milked all over again. But the problem is, the cart is in front of the horse. Without 3D titles plentiful, there is no reason to offer 3D sets and without 3D sets available, there isn't much incentive to film in 3D. This is probably why many 3D titles are post produced which in turn didn't wow the public especially at the theatre vs at a home theatre done right. One or the other has to make the first move. In 2009, it was James Cameron with Avatar. Suddenly everyone wanted to offer 3D. Some were just horrible enough to leave a bad taste in consumers mouths be it the sets or the movies and were improperly and unfairly judged. I think it's going to take another wow factor introduction again and the Avatar sequels isn't it imo, glasses free or not. Tbh, I hope I'm wrong.

As for the US rarely selling any 3D titles that are widely available anywhere else except here, I have no idea? I will bet dimes to dollars that manipulation and greed are involved somehow though. I mean honestly, how much could it cost to add a few 3D titles on the shelf next to the UHD's at Best Buy or Frys? How much of a setback would it be for US Amazon to add some to stock along with the millions of other items they sell including UHD's?

HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players
W10 1903 / MPC-BE\HC / PotPlayer / PowerDVD 19 / DVDFab Player 3 / KODI 19 videoplayer
GTX960 4GB / RGB Full 4:4:4 / 8bit Desktop mode =60Hz / 10/12bit Video mode = Matched Refresh rates IE 23,24,25,60Hz
65JS8500 UHD HDR 3D / Denon S720W

Last edited by brazen1; 10-12-2018 at 03:01 PM.
post #3818 of 4200 Old 10-12-2018, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Imax Enhanced makes no bones about the fact it's about 4K, not 3D. They never once mentioned 3D. No one said 3D BDs weren't in decline (it almost has to be given the only 3D "sets" made are projectors now. You can't make 3D forever for something that has no way to buy a new display screen!) That does not indicate 3D is about to disappear from movie theaters in general. MI: Fallout was in 3D at the theater (first of the MI to be in 3D ever). I just got a brand new National Parks disc over the summer hosted by Robert Redford. It came with 3D, 2K and 4K discs all with Atmos. That was THIS year and released in the USA.

Last edited by MagnumX; 10-12-2018 at 03:09 PM.
post #3819 of 4200 Old 10-12-2018, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1057 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Really nothing to do with 3D, but everything to do with making money. 3D conversions cost millions. 4K costs too. Which one are you going to eliminate if everyone in the US has a 4K TV in their living room? I have several friends that bought 3D TVs, and I swear that none have watched a 3D movie all the way through. They hate the glasses, and couldn't get them charged correctly, or they just couldn't figure out how to set the 3D up correctly on their TV (and trust me I've tried to educated them--it's just too dang complicated for them).

3D isn't the problem, it's the general user just couldn't figure out how to set it up correctly. Gees, most of my friends still watch DVDs, not Blurays. Very few have 4K streaming and don't even know what I'm talking about. All this technology is going to waste to a few of us that know what it is and how to use it. 3D TVs are NEVER going to come back unless you simply turn it on, and boom, it's in 3D and all I need to do is get a beer to watch it.

And when I talk to them about going to a theater to watch a 3D movie, they just say, "no way am I going to pay extra for those stupid glasses." UGH!

Go ahead and ask anyone a general question about what is the resolution of an HD movie. Or what is the resolution of a 4K movie. "Ahh, it's just sharper than the old TV was, that I know." And 3D, they will tell you that the family doesn't like it because they can't sit there watching while they also want to glance at their phones every few mintues---the glasses drive them nuts (been there). UGH...save yourselves...
aaronwt, brazen1, MBullen and 3 others like this.
post #3820 of 4200 Old 10-12-2018, 04:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

3DBob, what you really seem to be saying is that 'many' or even possibly 'most' people are are largely ignorant, possibly of low intelligence (it's always hard to tell when people don't even try to learn) and thus not just 3D, but Atmos, etc. goes to waste as well. How many are even going to put speakers on the ceiling? How many even have 5.1 set up "correctly" (and by correctly I mean in the right relative positions instead of where they can fit a speaker willy-nilly. I've seen people's houses that had the mains in the back and the surrounds in the front just because that's where they "fit" in the room and the small speakers could sit on top of the TV whereas the big floor standing speakers could not). I've asked them about it and they thought it sounded "good" that way.

The simple truth is I don't have a high opinion of soundbars, but I'm glad they exist anyway since it might be the only thing that keeps Atmos/X being created soundtrack-wise. Otherwise, it could easily end up another "costs too much to bother" tech that almost no one actually uses and therefore disappears. To me, I think it's probably even less popular than 3D in "reality" (in terms of people actually having a system where they can really hear the sounds where they're supposed to be), but as long as there's an ILLUSION that people have/want it then there's a chance it will still be included into the future (Apple adopting Atmos for streaming is a good thing).

The thing with 3D, though is that as long as they're still making it for the theater, they can release it on home video. There is NO difference between the two. That's what's more disturbing about MI:Fallout and even things like the first Incredibles which was converted into 3D, but never released ANYWHERE. Why spend so much money to convert it to 3D and then not release it? WTF is the point of that? Europe at least sells enough to make it worth their while to print a 3D disc (so far) and thank goodness they normally don't region encode the 3D discs (Amazon UK has to be making a lot of shipments to the US in recent years that they never had before). I know people want more 3D titles, but I have to say I've purchased more Blu-Rays in the past year (probably over 200 total with about 130 being 3D and only 6 being 4K) than ever before and it's mostly due to 3D and immersive sound (more lately).
Frank714 likes this.

post #3821 of 4200 Old 10-14-2018, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 997 Post(s)
Liked: 1042
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCaron View Post
One thing is for certain that with 2 3D LG 65 Inch panels (including a glorious OLED C6) finally I won't be so tempted to upgrade every 3 or 4 years so as to keep enjoying 3D. I really hope I can keep these panels going for the next 10 years and perhaps 3D will have returned by then. Keeping a TV for 10 years??? God I'm becoming my parents!
I bought 2 65" E6 OLEDs for the 3D. BTW the 2D to 3D conversion with these sets is really, really good! Just go into settings and set point-of-view to -6 and depth to +12and enjoy all 2D programming in 3D -- that's how I'll watch the latest Mission Impossible movie.
post #3822 of 4200 Old 10-14-2018, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
3DBob, what you really seem to be saying is that 'many' or even possibly 'most' people are are largely ignorant, possibly of low intelligence.
Ignorance is the issue here, not low intelligence. My neighbor can take any car apart and put it back together, but can't understand how a TV works. I'm also into photography and most of my friends can barely use their phone cameras--I told one that he could get a better, wider picture to capture the whole scene by turning his phone sideways. He looked at me and laughed. He said he did that once and sent it to a friend, and the friend wanted to know why the picture was sent sideway, and why did he have to tilt his phone to see it.
aaronwt and Frank714 like this.
post #3823 of 4200 Old 10-14-2018, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob View Post
Ignorance is the issue here, not low intelligence. My neighbor can take any car apart and put it back together, but can't understand how a TV works.
Is there perceptual difference from a third party viewpoint between one who is stupid or ignorant when they don't even try to learn? What I'm saying is that if you don't know how to set up 3D correctly or your home theater sound system correctly, you should FIND OUT how to do it. In this day and age, that is easier than ever with a virtual library and more at your fingertips on the Internet. I only have so much patience for people who don't know and either don't care to know or don't want to bother to know. I don't generally like doing things half-arsed unless I really don't care about it (e.g. lawn maintenance).

Quote:
I'm also into photography and most of my friends can barely use their phone cameras--I told one that he could get a better, wider picture to capture the whole scene by turning his phone sideways. He looked at me and laughed. He said he did that once and sent it to a friend, and the friend wanted to know why the picture was sent sideway, and why did he have to tilt his phone to see it.
I am (was more in the past) into photography too and started with an original Canon Rebel "S" 35mm kit. I won't buy a camera that doesn't have manual override controls and light metering (other than whatever comes with a phone, etc.) I have moved to a pocket sized camera for most trips, though as I can fit it in my pocket. I don't like carrying around a camera bag and tripod as much these days. I used to drag them everywhere, though. Night photography was always my favorite as you had to know what you were doing to get good results even with camera automation (slowly changing too with ever increasing light sensitive sensors and stabilized lenses). I also liked using medium density filters to make the exposure slower for things like moving water (smoke-like appearance, etc.) But then I got into playing more instruments and writing music, home theater and even recreating pinball games in computer software simulations. There's only so much time for so many hobbies, unfortunately. I still do make an effort to take nice photos when I'm on vacation, though.

Yeah, I love all those videos taken in vertical mode. They look GREAT on CNN in breaking news footages of cops doing something wrong, etc. It's like, turn your phone sideways so we can actually see something going on other than the sky and road....
aaronwt and 3DBob like this.

post #3824 of 4200 Old 10-15-2018, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
I just got a brand new National Parks disc over the summer hosted by Robert Redford. It came with 3D, 2K and 4K discs all with Atmos. That was THIS year and released in the USA.

Still keeping my fingers crossed for AIRCRAFT CARRIER: GUARDIAN OF THE SEAS that was (mostly) shot in native 3D but my optimism is wavering.

Since you mentioned Robert Redford, he was collaborating with another, lesser known 3D Project entitled CATHEDRALS OF CULTURE: https://www.amazon.com/Cathedrals-of...als+of+Culture

Just got myself the 3D Blu-ray a few days ago but still have to watch and listen to its English track.

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde
post #3825 of 4200 Old 10-15-2018, 08:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
3DBob, what you really seem to be saying is that 'many' or even possibly 'most' people are are largely ignorant, possibly of low intelligence (it's always hard to tell when people don't even try to learn) and thus not just 3D, but Atmos, etc. goes to waste as well.
Here is the definition of ignorant that I'm going to guess 3DBob meant, for those trying to argue semantics.

Quote:
ignorant: lacking knowledge, information, or awareness about a particular thing.
post #3826 of 4200 Old 10-15-2018, 08:50 AM

Here is where I stand on 3D.
I love 3D, and I confess it's dead. I make a personal policy of only buying 3D movies, otherwise I'll just amazon prime it later.
3D titles are seldom released, and most 3D movies are poor conversions. I have a great 77" 4K LG OLED TV.

The last 2 movies that left an impression of good 3D were miss peregrine's home for peculiar children and the new blade runner. I did like/prefer the new king kong movie and ready player one in 3D but wasn't wowed by the use of 3D. More often though, I'm wondering why I'm bothering with glasses: shallow depth of field, no pop out, have to clean kids fingerprints off my glasses, and my wife won't watch 3d since it quickly fatigues her eyes.

Most of the time my wife won't watch a movie with me and my son (who also prefers 3d). She'd rather stay home than watch in 3D. Even if 3D made improvements of fatigue, the mass population already made up their mind.

Besides, most 3d content is like the green lantern, we needed more like the avatar.
dfa973 and bootster like this.
post #3827 of 4200 Old 10-15-2018, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioQuestions View Post
Here is where I stand on 3D.
I love More often though, I'm wondering why I'm bothering with glasses: shallow depth of field, no pop out, have to clean kids fingerprints off my glasses, and my wife won't watch 3d since it quickly fatigues her eyes.
I scratched my head over the "shallow depth of field" comment. I have both my 60" LG TV and my projector setup so that it has lots of depth. My Sony bluray players also have a screen size feature in setup. This forces the depth to max of what the 3D is intended by the conversion. If you are seeing shallow depth, then adjust the 3D separation in your 3D setup. I think you will be amazed at the depth you can get out of most movies these days. The rest of your comments, I agree with. I'm the only one in my family that watches 3D these days.
post #3828 of 4200 Old 10-15-2018, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Generally, if given the choice at the movie theater I'll watch the 2D version - 2D is just less work to watch. It seems the best thing 3D works well with is movies set in space or maybe animated pixar type movies - for example in the OP Gravity was mentioned, that was fun in 3D, having people floating in the vastness of space works well.. Not sure how well it would work on a tiny home TV though. The Demos I have seen in video stores did not make me feel it was something I had to have.

Mostly, give me a well filmed 2D movie with that beautiful film grain goodness and the director focusing the film and us on what is important.

What confuses me is 3D still blurs out certain things in various scenes almost as much as 2D. I would think true 3D would allow for the eye to focus on any part of any scene like real life.

I never thought about it, but I figure I'll need to upgrade my plazma in 3 - 5 years so I have been keeping up various high end TVs and their technology, but the TVs I have looked at did not have 3D or it was not prominently advertised. A few years back, it seemed every TV but the cheapest had 3D. I guess it was a feature to get people to upgrade TVs sooner. But now they have 4K as the must have feature so 3D is not needed to sell TVs.

Given a choice, same price, I wouldn't object to 3D capability on my next TV for the occasional space film in 3D but not having it would not be a deal breaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
I saw Gravity .... probably the best movie in the last 20 years.
It was a fun movie, but best movie in last 20 years?

I feel infinite

Last edited by Mamasboy; 10-15-2018 at 10:38 AM.
post #3829 of 4200 Old 10-15-2018, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamasboy View Post
What confuses me is 3D still blurs out certain things in various scenes almost as much as 2D. I would think true 3D would allow for the eye to focus on any part of any scene like real life.
3D doesn't magically change the rules of photography with various lenses at various exposures and depth of field. In order to see "everything" in 3D, you need to maintain a very small aperture, which in turns lets LESS light in when 3D needs MORE light in general (with real 3D cameras). This means you either need REALLY bright lighting or you have t compromise the ability to see everything in focus. In 2D, seeing everything in focus is considered less attractive in terms of depth perception (flattens it). Blurry indicates you're not to focus on that point. The camera focuses on what's important in a shot. Portraits, in photography tend to blur the background, for instance because you are supposed to be focused on the person, not what's behind them. But if you want to see both, you need a smaller aperture (higher f-stop) which again, needs more light in general.

post #3830 of 4200 Old 10-15-2018, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What confuses me is 3D still blurs out certain things in various scenes almost as much as 2D. I would think true 3D would allow for the eye to focus on any part of any scene like real life. :
Most directors still film for a 2D audience, and it's always been a trick to blur out the background for close-ups to focus on the actors. Look at an object up close, and the objects behind it are out of focus in real life--right? In 3D movies, though, we like to see all parts of the scene to help us get context for the 3D.

We see more and more of the focus blur now, because rarely movies are being filmed in Native 3D these days--thus we are watching almost all conversions. And frankly, I'm okay with that as the conversions are getting better and better, and at least we still have some 3D movies to watch.
Mamasboy likes this.

Last edited by 3DBob; 10-15-2018 at 12:13 PM.
post #3831 of 4200 Old 10-15-2018, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 993 Post(s)
Liked: 540
I think there are multiple problems that lead to the downfall of 3D in the home. First glasses, people HATE having to wear the glasses, and generally I think there is a fairly narrow sweet spot where in works. I confess I have never owned or used a 3d tv, although my mom does have one she never once used the 3d aspect. Second people were unwilling to pay the price premium for the player's and movies. Lets be honest for a good period of time it was almost impossible to buy a tv that wasn't 3d, kind of like 4k is now. But the 3d bur ray players and movies cost more than the standard versions, which is obvious for many reasons, but people were not willing to fork over that extra money, I have no idea what the premium was, just for 3d. There is also the issue that MOST 3d movies are fake 3d, its all done in post on 90% of movies. There are few movies that were shot in native 3d, the Hobbit comes to mind as one of the few I can remember, and I do not count fully CGI movies since those are stupid easy to make look good in 3D since there is no "real" camera, which is why Avatar set the standard for 3d in movies. Also all the studio's had to do is look at sales standard versions outsold 3d versions all day long. I like 3d in the theater, and I still tend to see most in 3d when I go, but at home it's just not something I could be bothered with. There is also the problem, although I am sure i am wrong, but I believe that when displaying 3d movies, the resolution is halved, so it looks worse than a standard version. But that could also depend on the way the 3d is being presented.
post #3832 of 4200 Old 10-15-2018, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Here is the definition of ignorant that I'm going to guess 3DBob meant, for those trying to argue semantics.
I understand what he meant. My point is that it's not always easy to tell the difference, particularly when people are "purposely" ignorant, as in they CHOOSE not to bother to learn. Is that actual low intelligence or simply disinterest in making oneself less ignorant? It's not always easy to tell. You do have to figure half the population is less than the "average" of 100 so yes, there are a lot of lower intelligence people out there and they may have trouble learning even if they try. We often excuse "ignorance" because they simply are unaware of something, but IMO we should be excusing low intelligence more because these people have a true difficulty in learning even if they apply themselves and genetically speaking cannot help the cards they were dealt, so-to-speak whereas ignorance is often a result of simply being too lazy to bother to make oneself aware of various topics in the world.

It's true that you can't be an expert in everything, but in my experience, most people don't want to learn anything. They'd rather spend their time watching stupid reality TV or eating or having sex or whatever. Learning isn't of interest because it requires effort/work to learn. Admittedly, those of exceptionally high intelligence don't have to try very hard to learn so they are probably less ignorant without expending as much effort, but it's still a question of whether it's worth one's time to read a book on string theory or to watch Jerry Springer. People I know at work LOVE Jerry Springer. These are co-workers, whereas I bought a book on string theory because I'd like to understand the current theories on how the Universe works. Do I have a higher IQ or are these people simply lazy? I have no idea. What I do know is that refusing to learn even the basics about setting up a home theater is probably laziness as it's not very difficult to comprehend the basics.

post #3833 of 4200 Old 10-15-2018, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
They'd rather spend their time watching stupid reality TV or eating or having sex or whatever.
I'd much rather spend an evening having great sex than learn anyday! Big Brother, Survivor, and a tasty ribeye steak isn't bad either.
aaronwt likes this.

I feel infinite
post #3834 of 4200 Old 10-15-2018, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liffie420 View Post
There is also the problem, although I am sure i am wrong, but I believe that when displaying 3d movies, the resolution is halved, so it looks worse than a standard version. But that could also depend on the way the 3d is being presented.
Ahh, no.
Movies on bluray are in frame packed 3d with two HD 1080 frames, thus full resolution. There is also Side-by-side and top/bottom 3D, that do halve the resolution. These are sometimes found on 3D cable channels and youtube.

Actually, there is a phenomenon with 3D that is rarely discussed. When watching 2D each eye fuses the same image pixel per pixel maintaining the exact resolution of the image. When watching 3D, though, the left eye and right eye see two different images and two pixels are combined into more apparent resolution. This results in an apparent boost in reality and resolution. It's another reason I like to watch 3D movies rather than their 3D counterpart.
post #3835 of 4200 Old 10-15-2018, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1229 Post(s)
Liked: 488
Actually, I missed some other IMAX titles that were released in 3D at some point recently yet didn't receive a 3D Blu ray so the last post I made above aren't the first IMAX titles to not receive a Blu ray 3D but are the first bundles with 4K and Blu ray to not receive 3D which makes me think this is a financial distribution call.

Prior titles include: Hidden Universe, Tornado Alley, Antartica On the Edge, Titans of the Ice Age and Great White Shark which have been released on 4K and regular 2D blu ray but not Blu ray 3D. I haven't seen most of these yet accept "Titan" which I saw in Dome theater when it first came out in 2013 and have been eagerly waiting for the Blu ray 3D, but I will have to settle for the 2D version. As for the 4K versions I don't have a UHD player or a HDCP compliant AVR to view them yet, not to mention I really just wanted 3D so I'm not in a rush.

This is really unfortunate, I think the IMAX titles have been great on 3D, at least most of them. A few weren't the best use of 3D some being partially converted, but I've always enjoyed them anyway. I would say this is the end of 3D on the IMAX titles for the home market. Someone at IMAX needs to look into getting these on 3D. IMAX was a big pursuer of large format 3D in the early days. The first IMAX 3D title was We Are Born of Stars in 1985, the first underwater 3D film was Under the Sea in 1994, it would be a shame to not continue distributing them in 3D for the home market.

The total list of current IMAX features without a Blu ray 3D include: (there are older titles as well but not included here)

Hidden Universe, Tornado Alley, Antartica on the Edge, Titans of the Ice Age, Great White Shark, A Beautiful Planet and Journey to the South Pacific.

This line intentionally left blank.
post #3836 of 4200 Old 10-15-2018, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'd much rather spend an evening having great sex than learn anyday! Big Brother, Survivor, and a tasty ribeye steak isn't bad either.
Watch Hellraiser I & II sometime.

post #3837 of 4200 Old 10-15-2018, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 993 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:
Ahh, no.
Movies on bluray are in frame packed 3d with two HD 1080 frames, thus full resolution. There is also Side-by-side and top/bottom 3D, that do halve the resolution. These are sometimes found on 3D cable channels and youtube.

Actually, there is a phenomenon with 3D that is rarely discussed. When watching 2D each eye fuses the same image pixel per pixel maintaining the exact resolution of the image. When watching 3D, though, the left eye and right eye see two different images and two pixels are combined into more apparent resolution. This results in an apparent boost in reality and resolution. It's another reason I like to watch 3D movies rather than their 3D counterpart.
Well like I said I was probably wrong lol. I just remember hearing, I think, one of the benefits of 4k was being able to do 3d at full 1080p resolution or something like that, I don't know. Truthfully I was never that into he whole 3d thing at home anyway, I don't mind it in theater. I just wish it was actually filmed in 3d which most movies are not. That was one of the reasons I REALLY liked the Hobbit in 3d HFR, best 3d I had ever seen, never saw Avatar in theaters, and without question the most detailed movie I have ever seen. UHD disc doesn't even do it justice, but I know many people hated the HFR, its kind of like the whole SOE doesn't bother me either.
post #3838 of 4200 Old 10-15-2018, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This is the first I've ever heard of that. Where did you hear/read of this supposed phenomenon?

post #3839 of 4200 Old 10-15-2018, 02:57 PM

Quote:
I scratched my head over the "shallow depth of field" comment. I have both my 60" LG TV and my projector setup so that it has lots of depth. My Sony bluray players also have a screen size feature in setup. This forces the depth to max of what the 3D is intended by the conversion. If you are seeing shallow depth, then adjust the 3D separation in your 3D setup. I think you will be amazed at the depth you can get out of most movies these days. The rest of your comments, I agree with. I'm the only one in my family that watches 3D these days.
My oppo 205 is set to max on the 3d effect. It's capable of a lot of depth. 3D movies don't always utilize it.
post #3840 of 4200 Old 10-15-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
My oppo 205 is set to max on the 3d effect. It's capable of a lot of depth. 3D movies don't always utilize it.
I mean shallow depth compared to what the technology allows, not shallow depth of field as in a photographer with a very low F-stop life f/1.4 used in low light or to intentionally blur the background. I misspoke.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Content

Tags
blu-ray 3d , gearvr

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page