post #4171 of 4200 Old 05-29-2019, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfa973 View Post
I guess that you are more sensitive to parallax, there are movies with a lot of L/R separation, and movies that have mild separation.
For example, I do not like to view a movie with exaggerated L/R separation... Lots of 50's movies are like that.
Many would argue the 1950's movies are what 3-D is supposed to look like, and it's today's movies that are "wimpy 2.5D", with a purposefully decreased 3-D effect. I would be in that camp.
danlshane likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4172 of 4200 Old 05-29-2019, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve P. View Post
Many would argue the 1950's movies are what 3-D is supposed to look like, and it's today's movies that are "wimpy 2.5D", with a purposefully decreased 3-D effect. I would be in that camp.
Ohhh, I do like movies with good 3D effects, great depth, and pop-up, BUT there are movies where "very good" is transformed in "wow, my eyes just crossed".
I was talking about those movies - sorry for the misunderstanding.

"OFFICIAL" 2019 LG C9 Consolidated Info, FAQ, Troubleshooting, Firmware & more
LG 3D TV --- Denon AVR --- Wharfedale speakers --- Emotiva subs --- Media players: Intel NUC 8th & 7th gen i3's with Pulse-Eight internal HDMI-CEC adapters, Kodi on Win10, one remote to rule them all - the TV remote!
post #4173 of 4200 Old 05-30-2019, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
What about the DOlby 3D glasses? My brother gave me a pair of IMAX 3D and Real3D glasses to use last year at the theater. But then when I went to my first Dolby 3D showing, I found out that they use something completely different from what IMAX 3D and Real3D use.

The Dolby system is completely different from those other two.

IMAX 3D uses LCD shutter glasses that alternately turn black, and the image in the screen alternates between the left and right views synchronously.

RealD uses circular polarised lenses, and projects both views at the same time with opposite polarization.

The Dolby system has slightly different color filters for the red, green and blue components in each lens. The two projectors, one for each view, are using RGB primaries that match those respective deviations. The lenses then let through the primaries from one projector, and block the ones from the other projector.

So, basically, if a normal TV or projector would have the three components for red, green and blue at specific wavelengths, then the Dolby system would have one view with wavelengths a little bit shorter (higher frequency) than those, and the other view a little longer wavelengths (lower frequency). The eye then percieves the color from those deviated primaries in the same way as from the traditional three primaries. Any off-color effect from that can be compensated when authoring the pictures. Some describe it as "anaglyph on steroids".

The advantage of both RealD and Dolby against IMAX is that both views are visible at the same time (caveat: many RealD theaters use a single projector and toggle the polarity with a "Z-Screen" in front of the lens, but at a very high frequency of 144 Hz), and continuously, while IMAX might introduce flicker. The advantage of IMAX and Dolby against RealD is that they work on white screens, while RealD requires a silver screen to maintain polarization. The advantage of RealD against the other two is that the glasses are really cheap.

RealD is essentially known as "Passive" 3D on LCD and OLEDs at home, while the IMAX one is known as "Active" 3D, used on Plasma TVs, with projectors, and, puzzling, with a lot of LCDs. (LCD lends itself to passive 3D, due to the inherent polarization of the screen technology, and the long switching times that make active 3D difficult) I don't think it would be possible to use the Dolby system in the home, maybe with two single-chip LCD, LCoS or DLP projectors where you can swap out the color wheel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4174 of 4200 Old 05-30-2019, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

IMAX switched to polarized 3-D many years ago in every market I have encountered. Are there still any IMAX venues using those old giant shutter glasses with the built in headphones? Are there really still IMAX venues that use any type of active glasses? News to me if so - I haven't seen that for over a decade.

The current IMAX glasses are polarized differently from Real D. I bought a pair from Amazon that are oriented for IMAX, so it's much nicer than using the filthy, scratched and fingerprint covered ones the ushers try to give me. I also have my own pair of Real D glasses which I use at venues which use that format, which is the vast majority.

One local theater has Real D, IMAX and Dolby 3D capability, and I bet it is a pain for the staff to keep track of it all.
post #4175 of 4200 Old 05-30-2019, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
Given that you are in that camp, would you be so kind as to recommend some of your favorites? I don't have any 50s films in my 3D library, so your input as a 50s 3D enthusiast would be most welcome.

Panasonic VIERA TC-P55ST30 55-Inch 1080p 3D Plasma HDTV TV
Panasonic DMP-BDT360 3D Blu-ray Disc Player
Panasonic DMP-BDT215 3D Blu-ray Disc Player
Yamaha RX-V757 Receiver, Cambridge Soundworks Towers, JBL center, and assorted other speakers for 7.1
post #4176 of 4200 Old 05-30-2019, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEmoto View Post
Given that you are in that camp, would you be so kind as to recommend some of your favorites? I don't have any 50s films in my 3D library, so your input as a 50s 3D enthusiast would be most welcome.
Sure. All of these are available on Blu-ray 3D. The 3-D films of the time ranged quite a variety of genres, so you should find something to your taste. I'd say the first five on the list are a must.

Creature from the Black Lagoon
House of Wax
Inferno
Jivaro
The Maze

It Came from Outer Space
Gog
Gun Fury
Sangaree
Cease Fire
Those Readheads from Seattle
Kiss Me Kate
Dial M For Murder
September Storm
Man in the Dark
Miss Sadie Thompson
The Bubble
Revenge of the Creature
The Mad Magician (includes two 3-D Three Stooges shorts)
Dragonfly Squadron
3-D Rarities

There is more to come from the 3-D Film Archive, from both the 1950's era and the later 1970's and 80's films, which are even more pronounced in their 3-D effect. (Parasite, Revenge of the Shogun Women, 3-D Rarities II, Nudie Cutie Collection, etc. are already announced for release in upcoming months.)

I'd highly recommend a visit to www.3dfilmarchive.com , as it is an excellent site which contains a huge amount of information about the history of 3-D movies, widescreen movies and the coming of stereo sound. There are sections on myths that persist in the public's mind, in depth articles about the production and release of various titles, original advertising, etc. It's quite simply the definitive source of correct information on the subject.

Currently available 1980's era stuff on Blu-ray 3D format:

JAWS 3-D (it's in the extras menu in the disc marketed as Jaws 3)
Amityville 3-D (part of Amityville Horror Collection)
Metalstorm
Comin' at Ya!
post #4177 of 4200 Old 05-31-2019, 01:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
Sure. All of these are available on Blu-ray 3D. The 3-D films of the time ranged quite a variety of genres, so you should find something to your taste. I'd say the first five on the list are a must...

3-D Rarities
YMMV, but IMHO the last from your list (above) should belong to the top five.

I'm eagerly awaiting 3-D Rarities II.

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde
post #4178 of 4200 Old 05-31-2019, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member

I also await the 3-D Rarities II release eagerly. The only reason it wasn't at the top is that is a collection of shorts, rather than containing a feature length film from the 1950s. It's been announced that Rarities II will indeed contain a little seen 3-D feature among its content.
aaronwt likes this.
post #4179 of 4200 Old 06-18-2019, 09:39 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Watched Godzilla 2 recently at a commercial theater in 3D and there were some artifacts in the 3D. Around solid white lights or large bright letters bright "shadows" (of the bright object) appeared on the right and left.
Is this crosstalk?
post #4180 of 4200 Old 06-19-2019, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
Watched Godzilla 2 recently at a commercial theater in 3D and there were some artifacts in the 3D. Around solid white lights or large bright letters bright "shadows" (of the bright object) appeared on the right and left.
Is this crosstalk?
Yes. Projector illumination probably not correctly calibrated.
noob00224 likes this.

--
Dan Shane
LG 65EF9500 & LG 65UH8500

God gave us two eyes for a reason.
post #4181 of 4200 Old 06-19-2019, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlshane View Post
Yes. Projector illumination probably not correctly calibrated.
Is this the kind of crosstalk present on some LCD projectors?
post #4182 of 4200 Old 06-20-2019, 05:48 AM

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
I don't have any experience with 3-D LCD projectors, so I couldn't say.

--
Dan Shane
LG 65EF9500 & LG 65UH8500

God gave us two eyes for a reason.
post #4183 of 4200 Old 06-20-2019, 06:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1056 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Quote:
My experience with LCD projectors, ala Epson, would prove that crosstalk is more apparent when brightness is turned up. The Epson 5040UB had a problem, and I think it was fixed by limiting the brightness and contrast. There are 3 LCDs, one for red, blue and green, and are controlled by white light passing through polarizers and prisms through the three colors. Anyway, I think the crosstalk is a problem when too much light is passed through and the light decay of the panels is not quick enough from one frame to another for the left-right eye images hitting each eye separately causing apparent crosstalk.
noob00224 likes this.

Last edited by 3DBob; 06-20-2019 at 08:14 AM.
post #4184 of 4200 Old 06-20-2019, 06:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob View Post
My experience with LCD projectors, ala Epson, would prove that crosstalk is more apparent when brightness is turned up. The Epson 5040UB had a problem, and I think it was fixed by limiting the brightness and contrast. There are 3 LCDs, one for red, blue and green, and are controlled by white light passing through polarizers and prisms through the three colors. Anyway, I think the crosstalk is a problem when too much light is passed through and the light decay of the panels is not quick enough from one frame to an another for the left-right eye images hitting each eye separately causing apparent crosstalk.
And that's where I think my Panasonic 8000 has an advantage ... "it uses 480Hz driven panels for 3D to increase the amount of time that the eyewear shutters can stay open... about 1.5x regular 240Hz panels and results in brighter 3D and its overdrive technology more accurately detects the separate right/left eye info resulting in less crosstalk".... straight from the brochure, obviously... LOL!

It does obviously work however, as I have always been able to use the "Lighter" or brighter 3D eyewear setting instead of Normal or Darker to combat crosstalk and keep the lamp on ECO mode for 3D viewing...
foxxiu likes this.
post #4185 of 4200 Old 06-20-2019, 06:57 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Fast forward to July, 2019.

Still not dead... I'm looking forward to my Alita Battle Angel 4K/3D combo. The combos are the last 3D movies that I'll pick up in hopes of getting a 3D capable projector one day. My Samsung UA-65HU9000 65" does stunning 3D, but I've just let the discs collect dust as I watch the 4K counterparts.
JediMindTrick likes this.

Samsung 82Q90R / UN65HU9000 / Pioneer Elite Dolby Atmos 5.1.2 / Denon AVRS730H / AppleTV 4K / PS4 / Xbox One S
post #4186 of 4200 Old 06-20-2019, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 997 Post(s)
Liked: 1041
Quote:
My experience with LCD projectors, ala Epson, would prove that crosstalk is more apparent when brightness is turned up. The Epson 5040UB had a problem, and I think it was fixed by limiting the brightness and contrast. There are 3 LCDs, one for red, blue and green, and are controlled by white light passing through polarizers and prisms through the three colors. Anyway, I think the crosstalk is a problem when too much light is passed through and the light decay of the panels is not quick enough from one frame to another for the left-right eye images hitting each eye separately causing apparent crosstalk.
I have a number of Epson 3D projectors including the LS10,000 (laser). I've always been disappointed with Epson's 3D (too much cross-talk, especially in the background).

However, not long ago out of frustration I decided to play with the 3D depth setting. I thought that by decreasing depth it might ameliorate the cross-talk somewhat. It made cross-talk worse so out of desperation I tried increasing depth to plus 2 and was shocked when the "ghosting" disappeared. There was no downside to this change. I also have two 2016 JVC projectors, which have exceptionally good 3D. The Epson now has the least cross-talk of any of my non-DLP projectors and overall it has the best 3D when cross-talk, contrast, black level and brightness are all taken into consideration.

I tried the same changes to the 3D on my Epson 5020 and it helped the cross-talk but it seemed to negatively impact the sharpness of the 3D image.

Anyway, if you have an Epson 3D projector increase the 3D depth setting by a couple of clicks and see if that helps with cross-talk.
noob00224 likes this.
post #4187 of 4200 Old 06-21-2019, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
Anyway, if you have an Epson 3D projector increase the 3D depth setting by a couple of clicks and see if that helps with cross-talk.
Interesting, @Deja Vu . The downside of this is if by increasing depth, you separate the objects at infinity (or the furthest objects on the screen) by more than 2.5", you could suffer eye turn-out (opposite of crosseyed, aka walleyed). Doesn't effect adults as much as children, who could suffer bad eye strain.
post #4188 of 4200 Old 06-21-2019, 03:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Interesting, @Deja Vu . The downside of this is if by increasing depth, you separate the objects at infinity (or the furthest objects on the screen) by more than 2.5", you could suffer eye turn-out (opposite of crosseyed, aka walleyed). Doesn't effect adults as much as children, who could suffer bad eye strain.
Personally (no proof) I think Epson made a slight miscalculation (mistake) with their depth setting for 3D and the +2 setting should have been 0 or neutral. When I moved the setting from neutral to +1 and then to +2 I could see with each click a sift of the image, which to my eye properly aligned the left and right eye view(s) and eliminated pretty much all of the cross-talk (as it should be).
post #4189 of 4200 Old 06-22-2019, 05:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Personally (no proof) I think Epson made a slight miscalculation (mistake) with their depth setting for 3D and the +2 setting should have been 0 or neutral. When I moved the setting from neutral to +1 and then to +2 I could see with each click a sift of the image, which to my eye properly aligned the left and right eye view(s) and eliminated pretty much all of the cross-talk (as it should be).
@Deja Vu : What size screen to you have and could you measure the separation of the furthest objects on your screen at each setting. This would give me a sense of what you are talking about. My Sony X700 and other Sony bluray players have a setting for screen size, and will automatically adjust the image so the furthest objects are around 2.5 inches. This works for most movies, but not all IMAX movies. I sometimes have to set the screen size smaller to get the right separation. What bluray player are you using?
post #4190 of 4200 Old 06-25-2019, 01:30 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post
And that's where I think my Panasonic 8000 has an advantage ... "it uses 480Hz driven panels for 3D to increase the amount of time that the eyewear shutters can stay open... about 1.5x regular 240Hz panels and results in brighter 3D and its overdrive technology more accurately detects the separate right/left eye info resulting in less crosstalk".... straight from the brochure, obviously... LOL!

It does obviously work however, as I have always been able to use the "Lighter" or brighter 3D eyewear setting instead of Normal or Darker to combat crosstalk and keep the lamp on ECO mode for 3D viewing...
Epson claims 480Hz 3D frequency too, perhaps with fi high, I can't see any difference between my 3d glasses: Epson (no frequency specs on their package/manual), xpand x105rf (96-240hz) or samsung (120hz), crosstalk is more visible on the samsung, they are brighter.

Epson TW5350(HC 2045), Darbee DVP-5000S, Himedia Q5 Pro, FinePix REAL 3D W3, LG Otimus 3D Max
post #4191 of 4200 Old 07-02-2019, 05:59 AM
Rabid 3-D Aficionado

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 735 Post(s)
Liked: 619
In a welcome move, Sony's new flagship player, the UBP-X1100ES, supports Blu-ray 3-D (along with other supposedly "dead" formats like DVD-A). Hopefully, it's left the door open for its future panels reintroducing support for the format.

UBP-X1100ES 4K UHD Blu-ray Player With HDR

impetigo likes this.
post #4192 of 4200 Old 07-02-2019, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcuslaw View Post
In a welcome move, Sony's new flagship player, the UBP-X1100ES, supports Blu-ray 3-D (along with other supposedly "dead" formats like DVD-A). Hopefully, it's left the door open for its future panels reintroducing support for the format.

Looks like a nice unit.

Can anyone shed light on what this means:

STREAMING
4K streaming, 3D Streaming (No 3D content)

Panasonic VIERA TC-P55ST30 55-Inch 1080p 3D Plasma HDTV TV
Panasonic DMP-BDT360 3D Blu-ray Disc Player
Panasonic DMP-BDT215 3D Blu-ray Disc Player
Yamaha RX-V757 Receiver, Cambridge Soundworks Towers, JBL center, and assorted other speakers for 7.1
post #4193 of 4200 Old 07-02-2019, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:

Pretty impressive features and audio support. At the moment I'm knee deep in Oppo's
but for certain if they all failed I would consider this one.
post #4194 of 4200 Old 07-02-2019, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked: 486
600? Might as well buy an Xbox, 4K and 3D too, plus a game system and it's cheaper. Not sure about DVD-A support, might need to keep an older player around.

This line intentionally left blank.
post #4195 of 4200 Old 07-02-2019, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:

Thank you, Sony! This looks like a nice Oppo UDP 203 replacement, with support for UHD, 3D, and all the high res/surround audio formats like SACD and especially DVD-A (rival format to Sony's SACD that wasn't supported by earlier Sony players). Guess I should probably get this instead of another used UDP 203, although I do need a region-free hack option like I have on my Oppo players.

VIDEO: Epson 5040UB | Sony 65X900A | Sony 55X900A | Samsung UN40H5500
MEDIA: Oppo UDP 203 | Oppo BDP 103 | Apple TV | Amazon FireTV | Nintendo Switch
RECEIVER: Yamaha Aventage RX-A820
AUDIO: Monitor Audio Silver 100 (front), Monitor Audio Silver C350 (center), Monitor Audio Shadow 25 (rear), Rythmik L22 (sub)
post #4196 of 4200 Old 07-02-2019, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 66
arent all modern uhd players compatible with 3d blurays? I thought if it was made within the last 6 or 8 years any player would play 3d blurays?

Im going to wait on the PS5 to see what specs it releases with before i buy an oppo replacement/backup player. Im thinking the unit will come with a uhd drive this time and hopefully play 3d disc also.

Lg G6
Oppo 203, Ps4Pro
Emotiva, XMC-1 V3, Xpa-2, Xpa-5
PSA V1801
Airmotiv T2(front), C2(Center), T1(surrounds), E1(surround backs)
post #4197 of 4200 Old 07-02-2019, 10:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Samsung UHD players no longer do 3d. Maybe even their regular bd players as well.
post #4198 of 4200 Old 07-03-2019, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I would have never imagined that any player that came out within the last couple of years wouldnt have 3d playback built in but im glad to know this now. i would have hated to buy something just to find out it didnt play 3d discs. well now im aware thanks.

Lg G6
Oppo 203, Ps4Pro
Emotiva, XMC-1 V3, Xpa-2, Xpa-5
PSA V1801
Airmotiv T2(front), C2(Center), T1(surrounds), E1(surround backs)
post #4199 of 4200 Old 07-03-2019, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
Samsung UHD players no longer do 3d. Maybe even their regular bd players as well.
My understanding is that Samsung is no longer making any Blu-ray players, 4K or otherwise. So, Samsung apparently sees the writing on the wall when it comes to physical media.

https://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-to...s-report-says/

Last edited by Deja Vu; 07-03-2019 at 10:18 AM.
post #4200 of 4200 Old 07-03-2019, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
My understanding is that Samsung is no longer making any Blu-ray players, 4K or otherwise. So, Samsung apparently sees the writing on the wall when it comes to physical media.
Yeah, I think they made that announcement a while ago. Too bad, it's certainly not helping the physical media situation, so especially nice to see Sony come out with a nice, all in one, player like this one. If only it had a region free option I think I would definitely buy one.

VIDEO: Epson 5040UB | Sony 65X900A | Sony 55X900A | Samsung UN40H5500
MEDIA: Oppo UDP 203 | Oppo BDP 103 | Apple TV | Amazon FireTV | Nintendo Switch
RECEIVER: Yamaha Aventage RX-A820
AUDIO: Monitor Audio Silver 100 (front), Monitor Audio Silver C350 (center), Monitor Audio Shadow 25 (rear), Rythmik L22 (sub)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Content

Tags
blu-ray 3d , gearvr

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page