Forum Jump: 
 1568Likes

post #4231 of 4253 Old 09-23-2019, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Many thanks for this information, didn't know that name previously, I still have a couple of Nuoptix glasses that showed me the way how to recreate this kind of 3D. Here is another (old) video demonstrating Nuoptix techniques:
dfa973 likes this.

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4232 of 4253 Old 09-25-2019, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 436
"3rd Rock from the Sun" did a double episode with a few scenes shot for the NuOptix system, it was of course announced as a "3D" mega-event.
https://www.avforums.com/threads/thi...isodes.732877/
post #4233 of 4253 Old 09-25-2019, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 119
That 3rd Rock episode was a total failure - there was no Pulfrich Effect noticeable. Even worse was the Super Bowl halftime show that tried to do this - they clearly didn't understand how the illusion worked, and only some brief animation showed any hint of depth. FOX did the same thing with a Rolling Stones concert, and "Revenge of the Nerds IV" but they didn't succeed either.

Probably the only examples of Pulfrich Illusion being successfully exploited was a music video by "The Judds" and a Yogi Bear cartoon series which had some short segments animated with this in mind. They both worked quite well,as the camera and backgrounds were correctly manipulated to get this accidental 3-D effect with 2-D video.

You can test this effect with your cell phone. Have someone drive down the street at about 20 MPH. Shoot video of landscape from passenger window. Then watch the video with a sun glass lens over your right eye (or even squint and look through your lashes) and you will see the 2-D video appears to be 3-D. Stop the car however, and the effect is lost. It's a fleeting effect which is best harnessed in 30 second segments. There is no "Nuoptix sustem". They shot ordinary 2-D video with 2-D cameras - the Pulfrich effect occurs naturally as long as the camera and background movement are correct.
dfa973 likes this.

Last edited by Steve P.; 09-25-2019 at 01:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4234 of 4253 Old 10-09-2019, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve P. View Post
That 3rd Rock episode was a total failure - there was no Pulfrich Effect noticeable. Even worse was the Super Bowl halftime show that tried to do this - they clearly didn't understand how the illusion worked, and only some brief animation showed any hint of depth. FOX did the same thing with a Rolling Stones concert, and "Revenge of the Nerds IV" but they didn't succeed either.

Probably the only examples of Pulfrich Illusion being successfully exploited was a music video by "The Judds" and a Yogi Bear cartoon series which had some short segments animated with this in mind. They both worked quite well,as the camera and backgrounds were correctly manipulated to get this accidental 3-D effect with 2-D video.

You can test this effect with your cell phone. Have someone drive down the street at about 20 MPH. Shoot video of landscape from passenger window. Then watch the video with a sun glass lens over your right eye (or even squint and look through your lashes) and you will see the 2-D video appears to be 3-D. Stop the car however, and the effect is lost. It's a fleeting effect which is best harnessed in 30 second segments. There is no "Nuoptix sustem". They shot ordinary 2-D video with 2-D cameras - the Pulfrich effect occurs naturally as long as the camera and background movement are correct.
I thought I had read that the Super Bowl failure was less what the Network was broadcasting but instead an issue with the local affiliates... least I thought I read that someplace. I live in the Detroit Suburbs and recorded it in S-VHS so I had repeated opportunities to view it even as recently as 3 years ago and aside from the obvious lower resolution I thought it still looked pretty good. I've been meaning to put it up on YouTube but I'm not sure how many people hung on to their glasses.
post #4235 of 4253 Old 10-09-2019, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 119
The affiliates would have had nothing to do with it - the 1989 half time show was all simply 2-D material shot with 2-D cameras in an attempt to harness the Pulfrich Illusion. Nothing was actually shot in or broadcast in 3-D.

You don't need the glasses that were distributed. Any pair of cheap sunglasses will do (just punch the left lens out) I've found that by simply squinting my right eye I can get the Pulfrich effect to work with material properly shot to harness it. I confess I've found myself doing that from time to time in "flat" movies, and seeing a few fleeting seconds of accidental 3-D in some scenes.

If you ever get a chance to see the 1970's Jekyll and Hyde movie "I, Monster" with Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing, it's an interesting experiment with this idea. They had started production with the intent of advertising it as a "3-D" movie, and many sequences were shot with a moving camera in an attempt to harness the Pulfich Illusion, but they soon realized that it wasn't going to work as conceived and the idea was abandoned. The film was released without any such fanfare. Still, there is a good amount of footage where it works fleetingly in the finished film. A DVD was released with a pair of compatible glasses within the package a few years ago - just don't expect anything like real 3-D! To be clear - not a frame was shot with 3-D cameras.
post #4236 of 4253 Old 10-09-2019, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked: 508
I just use a pair of polarized glasses or active ones would work too, just hold over one eye.

This one is cool:

This line intentionally left blank.
post #4237 of 4253 Old 10-09-2019, 04:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
I just use a pair of polarized glasses or active ones would work too, just hold over one eye.

This one is cool:
https://youtu.be/1mnWI_u_zBg
I couldn't make it seem to work with my pair of glasses.
post #4238 of 4253 Old 10-13-2019, 07:07 AM
Rabid 3-D Aficionado

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Liked: 633
post #4239 of 4253 Old 10-24-2019, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Liked: 585
James Cameron produced Terminator: Dark Fate coming to theaters next week, and even rewrote some of the script, but apparently decided not to film or convert to 3D. Oh well, another nail in the 3D coffin. There is no explanation for this that I could find on the Internet. Avatar sequels not coming out until Dec. 2021--yawn...
post #4240 of 4253 Old 10-24-2019, 08:52 AM
Rabid 3-D Aficionado

Relax Bob. There's at least one highly anticipated film expected to have a 3D theatrical release - Denis Villeneuve's remake of 'Dune' around November 2020. Otherwise, there's a, likely dumb, Spongebob film and a live action Mulan that will also be shown in 3D next year.
aaronwt, MrEmoto and Matt2026 like this.
post #4241 of 4253 Old 10-27-2019, 10:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcuslaw View Post
Relax Bob. There's at least one highly anticipated film expected to have a 3D theatrical release - Denis Villeneuve's remake of 'Dune' around November 2020. Otherwise, there's a, likely dumb, Spongebob film and a live action Mulan that will also be shown in 3D next year.
I am hyped for a 3D Dune and Mulan -- sure, why not! It could be good if it is heavier on the action and minus all the songs... hard to imagine that though.

VIDEO: Epson 5040UB | Sony 65X900A | Sony 55X900A | Samsung UN40H5500
MEDIA: Oppo UDP 203 | Oppo BDP 103 | Apple TV | Nintendo Switch
RECEIVER: Yamaha Aventage RX-A820
AUDIO: Monitor Audio Silver 100 (front), Monitor Audio Silver C350 (center), Monitor Audio Shadow 25 (rear), Rythmik L22 (sub)
post #4242 of 4253 Old 10-28-2019, 03:18 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 9510 Post(s)
Liked: 6207
I see the next star Wars will have some 3D showings. But at the AMC 22 screen and the AMC 18 screen theaters near me, they only have one 3D showing a day in the IMAX theater. And the rest of the 3D showings are in the smaller theaters(which I have no desire to sit in).

I was hoping that they would have a Dolby theater 3D showing. Since Alita: Battle Angel, in Dolby 3D, was the best theatrical 3D presentation I had ever seen. I would go to every 3D showing if they were presented in 3D at the Dolby theater.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #4243 of 4253 Old 10-29-2019, 06:26 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Looking forward to that one. I'm gutted that they've stopped making 3D Blurays - have stocked up on almost all of them that I can lay my hands on. When the resurgence of 3D begins again, I'll figure out how to adapt into my 3D setup - there WILL be a way...
post #4244 of 4253 Old 10-30-2019, 05:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam View Post
When the resurgence of 3D begins again, I'll figure out how to adapt into my 3D setup - there WILL be a way...
WHEN the 3D will come back I'm sure that at that time 3D will come along with higher resolution (4K/8K/whatever), HDR, WCG, maybe even some HFR, so our current 3D Bluray discs will have the same status as of today's DVDs..., old tech...
old corps and Car67 like this.
post #4245 of 4253 Old 11-01-2019, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Looking forward to that one. I'm gutted that they've stopped making 3D Blurays - have stocked up on almost all of them that I can lay my hands on. When the resurgence of 3D begins again, I'll figure out how to adapt into my 3D setup - there WILL be a way...

What do you mean they stopped making 3D blu-rays? Only Paramount completely stopped so far. Importing is a must these days.
post #4246 of 4253 Old 11-09-2019, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Yeah, I've been importing them myself. Prices are comparable to what they would have been in the states too! In some cases, actually lower. It just takes longer yo get them, as they tend to be released a month later due to the fact that some of the movies play lateer in Europe than in the states.
CopyRon likes this.
post #4247 of 4253 Old 11-11-2019, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon Atkinson View Post
What do you mean they stopped making 3D blu-rays? Only Paramount completely stopped so far. Importing is a must these days.
I will definitely look out for new releases on imports. Anyone tracking these in a thread here? This would be very useful!
post #4248 of 4253 Old 11-11-2019, 11:17 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Is VR also dead like 3D? There was lot of talk of the OR and playstation VR couple of years back, but now hardly any talk of VR.
post #4249 of 4253 Old 11-11-2019, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
I will definitely look out for new releases on imports. Anyone tracking these in a thread here? This would be very useful!
The 2019 3D Movie Schedule thread may be a bit out of date but it has links to the source list we use.

Pick or search for a movie from the thread titles in this 3D Content forum. The first post (or near to) has direct links the to all the major sources (e.g.: amazon.co.uk) for importing that title on 3D Blu-ray.
post #4250 of 4253 Old 11-12-2019, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 50

I've seen the trailer for 1917 (release date Dec. 25, 2019) a couple of times. This trailer is all about a particular technical aspect of how the film was made. It was made with some of the same technical gimmicks used by Hitchcock in "Rope" or Alejandro González Iñárritu's "Birdman".

I got my hopes up the first time I saw this because Director Sam Mendes opens it by saying he wants to make 1917 in such a way as to be as "immersive an experience as possible", so I think he's talking about 3D, right? No, he's just talking about shooting and editing the film to make it look like it is all one continuous shot.

Well, Birdman got some Oscars, so maybe this will too. Birdman was interesting from a standpoint of trying to spot where the edits are. But immersive? Nah, 3D can be a lot more immersive than that.

This is perhaps another sign of the decline of 3D. It is not worthy of awards or even mentions of awards, like editing gimmicks are, I guess.
post #4251 of 4253 Old 11-12-2019, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhornsk57 View Post
I've just ordered Aladdin in 3D. Anyone seen it? I didn't in theaters
A lot of people liked it. It just won a People's Choice Award for best family movie of the year. I liked it too. I saw it in 3D at a local theater.

It also won some Saturn Awards and Teen Choice awards, so far. It is early in awards season.
post #4252 of 4253 Old 11-16-2019, 07:32 AM
Rabid 3-D Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfa973 View Post
WHEN the 3D will come back I'm sure that at that time 3D will come along with higher resolution (4K/8K/whatever), HDR, WCG, maybe even some HFR, so our current 3D Bluray discs will have the same status as of today's DVDs..., old tech...
Although Victor Matsuda left open the possibility of incorporating 3D into the UHD BD spec as an add-on (and thus at a higher resolution than 1080p), the only way that will happen is if a filmmaker like James Cameron creates 4K theatrical 3D content. IMO, no one will. I think Blu-ray 3-D will always be 1080p and I'm okay with upscaling panels displaying that. All it takes is for manufacturers to reincorporate it . . . and I say, why not?

Quote:
Q: Are there any plans to incorporate 3D into the UHD BD spec as an add-on?

A (Victor Matsuda): No. Not at this time. Currently there is no 4K theatrical 3D content.

Q: From the technical side, what are the limitations with frame rate for HFR presentations, 3D, 4K and HDR? For example, will HFR 3D HDR 4K be possible? Or would there need to be limits on one or more of these options?

A (Victor Matsuda): There are no plans to for 4K 3D. The format supports frame rates up to 60fps.

Q: UHD BD means passive 2K 3D, correct? Can/will both 2D and 3D versions of a film that was 3D in theater be included on a single UHD BD release, or will there be separate 2D and 3D editions? Or will there be full 4K 3D releases? Can 3D be streamed – in other words, will UHD BD be the only source for passive 3D content?

A (Victor Matsuda): The specification does not support 4K 3D. With respect to current 3D titles, playback of 3D content on Ultra HD Blu-ray players is not mandatory, but a manufacturer could choose to include this capability in its player.
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/column...ts/072315_1800
post #4253 of 4253 Old 11-16-2019, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked: 508
Quote:
Although Victor Matsuda left open the possibility of incorporating 3D into the UHD BD spec as an add-on (and thus at a higher resolution than 1080p), the only way that will happen is if a filmmaker like James Cameron creates 4K theatrical 3D content. IMO, no one will. I think Blu-ray 3-D will always be 1080p and I'm okay with upscaling panels displaying that. All it takes is for manufacturers to reincorporate it . . . and I say, why not?

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/column...ts/072315_1800

Right, I'd also add that since the majority of movies that are 3D are the variety that are VFX heavy, the digital intermediate is only 2K which is similar in resolution to 1080p. So given they upscale that portion of elements it wouldn't even truly be 4K if they did offer it. IMAX and 3D documentaries would be spectacular in 4K3D but of course IMAX has discontinued releasing on the Blu ray 3D format.

It's hard to say where tech is going. Physical media is slowly being replaced with digital. Will there be 8K discs? I doubt it. So would there be 4K3D Blu rays? Probably not given the few number of films offering home release Blu ray 3D's and now having to source them from other regions. All we can see is what's out there right now and that is a few brands still offer 3D on projectors and that's basically it if you want 3D.

This line intentionally left blank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Content

Tags
blu-ray 3d , gearvr

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page