Forum Jump: 
 1561Likes

post #4231 of 4238 Old 09-23-2019, 06:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Many thanks for this information, didn't know that name previously, I still have a couple of Nuoptix glasses that showed me the way how to recreate this kind of 3D. Here is another (old) video demonstrating Nuoptix techniques:
dfa973 likes this.

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4232 of 4238 Old 09-25-2019, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 434
"3rd Rock from the Sun" did a double episode with a few scenes shot for the NuOptix system, it was of course announced as a "3D" mega-event.
https://www.avforums.com/threads/thi...isodes.732877/
post #4233 of 4238 Old 09-25-2019, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 111
That 3rd Rock episode was a total failure - there was no Pulfrich Effect noticeable. Even worse was the Super Bowl halftime show that tried to do this - they clearly didn't understand how the illusion worked, and only some brief animation showed any hint of depth. FOX did the same thing with a Rolling Stones concert, and "Revenge of the Nerds IV" but they didn't succeed either.

Probably the only examples of Pulfrich Illusion being successfully exploited was a music video by "The Judds" and a Yogi Bear cartoon series which had some short segments animated with this in mind. They both worked quite well,as the camera and backgrounds were correctly manipulated to get this accidental 3-D effect with 2-D video.

You can test this effect with your cell phone. Have someone drive down the street at about 20 MPH. Shoot video of landscape from passenger window. Then watch the video with a sun glass lens over your right eye (or even squint and look through your lashes) and you will see the 2-D video appears to be 3-D. Stop the car however, and the effect is lost. It's a fleeting effect which is best harnessed in 30 second segments. There is no "Nuoptix sustem". They shot ordinary 2-D video with 2-D cameras - the Pulfrich effect occurs naturally as long as the camera and background movement are correct.
dfa973 likes this.

Last edited by Steve P.; 09-25-2019 at 12:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4234 of 4238 Old 10-09-2019, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve P. View Post
That 3rd Rock episode was a total failure - there was no Pulfrich Effect noticeable. Even worse was the Super Bowl halftime show that tried to do this - they clearly didn't understand how the illusion worked, and only some brief animation showed any hint of depth. FOX did the same thing with a Rolling Stones concert, and "Revenge of the Nerds IV" but they didn't succeed either.

Probably the only examples of Pulfrich Illusion being successfully exploited was a music video by "The Judds" and a Yogi Bear cartoon series which had some short segments animated with this in mind. They both worked quite well,as the camera and backgrounds were correctly manipulated to get this accidental 3-D effect with 2-D video.

You can test this effect with your cell phone. Have someone drive down the street at about 20 MPH. Shoot video of landscape from passenger window. Then watch the video with a sun glass lens over your right eye (or even squint and look through your lashes) and you will see the 2-D video appears to be 3-D. Stop the car however, and the effect is lost. It's a fleeting effect which is best harnessed in 30 second segments. There is no "Nuoptix sustem". They shot ordinary 2-D video with 2-D cameras - the Pulfrich effect occurs naturally as long as the camera and background movement are correct.
I thought I had read that the Super Bowl failure was less what the Network was broadcasting but instead an issue with the local affiliates... least I thought I read that someplace. I live in the Detroit Suburbs and recorded it in S-VHS so I had repeated opportunities to view it even as recently as 3 years ago and aside from the obvious lower resolution I thought it still looked pretty good. I've been meaning to put it up on YouTube but I'm not sure how many people hung on to their glasses.
post #4235 of 4238 Old 10-09-2019, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 111
The affiliates would have had nothing to do with it - the 1989 half time show was all simply 2-D material shot with 2-D cameras in an attempt to harness the Pulfrich Illusion. Nothing was actually shot in or broadcast in 3-D.

You don't need the glasses that were distributed. Any pair of cheap sunglasses will do (just punch the left lens out) I've found that by simply squinting my right eye I can get the Pulfrich effect to work with material properly shot to harness it. I confess I've found myself doing that from time to time in "flat" movies, and seeing a few fleeting seconds of accidental 3-D in some scenes.

If you ever get a chance to see the 1970's Jekyll and Hyde movie "I, Monster" with Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing, it's an interesting experiment with this idea. They had started production with the intent of advertising it as a "3-D" movie, and many sequences were shot with a moving camera in an attempt to harness the Pulfich Illusion, but they soon realized that it wasn't going to work as conceived and the idea was abandoned. The film was released without any such fanfare. Still, there is a good amount of footage where it works fleetingly in the finished film. A DVD was released with a pair of compatible glasses within the package a few years ago - just don't expect anything like real 3-D! To be clear - not a frame was shot with 3-D cameras.
post #4236 of 4238 Old 10-09-2019, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1264 Post(s)
Liked: 500
I just use a pair of polarized glasses or active ones would work too, just hold over one eye.

This one is cool:

This line intentionally left blank.
post #4237 of 4238 Old 10-09-2019, 03:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
I just use a pair of polarized glasses or active ones would work too, just hold over one eye.

This one is cool:
https://youtu.be/1mnWI_u_zBg
I couldn't make it seem to work with my pair of glasses.
post #4238 of 4238 Old 10-13-2019, 06:07 AM
Rabid 3-D Aficionado

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked: 630
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Content

Tags
blu-ray 3d , gearvr

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version