Is 3D about dead? - Page 143 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1596Likes

post #4261 of 4274 Old 04-03-2020, 05:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I'll support 3D for as long as it is available!! Theaters will open again eventually, and studios will resume productions. They have to, since they need to survive, and people need to work. No work, no money! I plan on re-watching all of my 3D movies I've got - which is a lot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4262 of 4274 Old 04-03-2020, 06:41 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 49
This thread started in the 2013, and 3d is still alive in new film/documentary releases, hundreds of 3D blurays, and projectors, just no more cameras/camcoders infortunately, for now....
CopyRon likes this.

Epson TW5350(HC 2045), Darbee DVP-5000S, Himedia Q5 Pro, Sony BDP-S6700,
3D RF glasses: Epson, Samsung, Xpand. Fuji FinePix REAL 3D W3, LG Otimus 3D Max, 3D Tablet F892B
post #4263 of 4274 Old 04-03-2020, 07:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 200
I think with VR making a big surge 3D still has life ahead..

Sent from my MI 8 using Tapatalk
ryudoadema and CopyRon like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4264 of 4274 Old 04-04-2020, 06:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhornsk57 View Post
I think with VR making a big surge 3D still has life ahead..
What big surge would that be?
aaronwt likes this.

--
Dan Shane
LG 65EF9500 & LG 65UH8500

God gave us two eyes for a reason.
post #4265 of 4274 Old 04-04-2020, 07:58 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlshane View Post
What big surge would that be?
Oculus Quest and Valve Index have been selling out for months. Half-Life: Alyx (VR only) just came out and is one of the best reviewed games of all time and pretty high on the most players concurrently on steam. Over a million steam headsets recorded during their latest survey, and I know my 2 as well as my brother's and sister's are never counted. So it's likely way more than that. Quest has sold well over a million. We're getting there!

Me and my uncle in CT watch 3d movies (sometimes 2d as well) in bigscreen vr with my mother, sister and brother who all live in FL weekly. I can either stream any of my sbs/ou 3d movies, or we can purchase 3d movie tickets @ $3.99 each to watch together in a little better quality without the upload demands of streaming my own collection. Haven't tried that yet though.
TonyDP likes this.

Spoiler!
post #4266 of 4274 Old 04-04-2020, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'm bummed that its likely 3d blurays won't be released. Since Pixar/Disney's Onward went straight to Disney+, I doubt there will be many bluray sales and I doubt 3d will be getting a special run on the production line.

I was excited for VR, but it really is cost prohibitive for a large percentage of the population and rather isolating even if watching a movie with other people. Are you going to have friends over, have them all strap phones to your faces and zone out to watch a movie together? Its hard enough keeping allthe 3d glasses charged, what are the odds everyone's phone would be charged to last a whole movie... not even going to mention how popcorn and snacks would work. I hope 3d evolves into realistic, interactive virtual experiences, but i was hoping casual 3d would be an option for general use.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
danlshane and dfa973 like this.
post #4267 of 4274 Old 04-04-2020, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_knox View Post
I'm bummed that its likely 3d blurays won't be released. Since Pixar/Disney's Onward went straight to Disney+, I doubt there will be many bluray sales and I doubt 3d will be getting a special run on the production line.

I was excited for VR, but it really is cost prohibitive for a large percentage of the population and rather isolating even if watching a movie with other people. Are you going to have friends over, have them all strap phones to your faces and zone out to watch a movie together? Its hard enough keeping allthe 3d glasses charged, what are the odds everyone's phone would be charged to last a whole movie... not even going to mention how popcorn and snacks would work. I hope 3d evolves into realistic, interactive virtual experiences, but i was hoping casual 3d would be an option for general use.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
If you're just looking for the bigscreen experience Oculus go is like $100 or $150. Nothing else needed except wi-fi. You don't need the people to come over, it seems like you are with them (their avatars anyway) in the VR theater.

I will be upset when physical media is gone too. I still prefer 3d on my pj, but my family lives across country so we wouldn't be able to watch together on that anyway.

Spoiler!
post #4268 of 4274 Old 04-05-2020, 05:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryudoadema View Post
If you're just looking for the bigscreen experience Oculus go is like $100 or $150. Nothing else needed except wi-fi. You don't need the people to come over, it seems like you are with them (their avatars anyway) in the VR theater.

I will be upset when physical media is gone too. I still prefer 3d on my pj, but my family lives across country so we wouldn't be able to watch together on that anyway.
What you describe works for you.

I love 3D and have long enjoyed the solo experience of View-Master reels, but nothing beat the 3D parties I would have, projecting View-Master images taken with my personal stereo camera. Even with polarized glasses it was a group setting that felt natural.

Perhaps to younger people who have grown up with online gaming and electronic devices virtually fused to their bodies VR seems like a normal method of entertainment, but it seems ill-suited for most.

I wish you well with your VR experience; I do enjoy it myself for brief periods using Google Cardboard and other methods. But I believe what you call a "surge" is simply a wave in a very small pond.

--
Dan Shane
LG 65EF9500 & LG 65UH8500

God gave us two eyes for a reason.
post #4269 of 4274 Old 04-05-2020, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlshane View Post
What you describe works for you.

I love 3D and have long enjoyed the solo experience of View-Master reels, but nothing beat the 3D parties I would have, projecting View-Master images taken with my personal stereo camera. Even with polarized glasses it was a group setting that felt natural.

Perhaps to younger people who have grown up with online gaming and electronic devices virtually fused to their bodies VR seems like a normal method of entertainment, but it seems ill-suited for most.

I wish you well with your VR experience; I do enjoy it myself for brief periods using Google Cardboard and other methods. But I believe what you call a "surge" is simply a wave in a very small pond.
Definitely understand your aversion to it, and agree to disagree that it's just a small wave in a small pond. Just would like to point out that my mother is 60 and my uncle is in his 50's and they both join in weekly for our movie get-togethers. As I said, there is no other choice for us anyway since we live across country from each other. Also if google cardboard was my only experience with VR, I would be pretty cold on the idea too. I know you said other methods, but cardboard/gear vr are both far cries from true VR where your motion is tracked 1 to 1 in the virtual space with your hands as the actual inputs.

Being in the VR community for 5 years now I can tell it is growing, and I just really hope it helps 3d in it's other forms like in theaters and on physical media. I would sorely miss any new 3d films on my pj, much more than I would miss them in my vr headset...

Sounds like your 3d parties were awesome and I would have liked to experience one!
CopyRon likes this.

Spoiler!
post #4270 of 4274 Old 04-14-2020, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I find it annoying that 8K is possibly going to become a thing.

If 2D 8K is doable, then 3D 4K is doable. I know which one I'd rather have.
post #4271 of 4274 Old 04-29-2020, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I really enjoy watching 3D movies and YouTube videos on my Oculus Go. I just wish they'd get the resolution up and eliminate the narrow fov....can't stand the feeling like I'm looking through a pair of binoculars. If they could perfect those two things, it would be a perfect environment for watching 3D movies.
post #4272 of 4274 Old 05-05-2020, 08:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 55
3D is dead, long live 3D

I just watched a new video that addresses the question in the title of this forum, Is 3D about dead? The answer is yes, and no.

The humorous, entertaining 17-minute video made by The Royal Ocean Film Society and MUBI, called "The Life and Death of 3D" can be found on Vimeo and YouTube.

I discovered it yesterday during a Google News search, linked to a May 1 Film School Rejects article called The Many Deaths of 3D: A History of Cinema's Problem Child.
Link here:
https://filmschoolrejects.com/the-life-and-death-of-3d/

The subtitle of the article cleverly sums up the video this way: "3D is dead, long live 3D"

The video recounts the near 100-year history of 3D in cinema -- how there have been periodic revivals of the format, each followed by 3D death pronouncements over the years, including the current episode we now are living through.

I am a film critic and 3D fan, but I have no connection to the article and video linked above.
dfa973 likes this.

Last edited by rural scribe; 05-05-2020 at 09:04 AM.
post #4273 of 4274 Old 05-05-2020, 10:03 AM
Rabid 3-D Aficionado

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked: 633
post #4274 of 4274 Old 05-05-2020, 11:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcuslaw View Post
After watching the video, check out the 3-D Archive's post entitled "What Killed 3-D?".

http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/what-killed-3D
Yeah, the 3D Archive site is a great resource, and I appreciate the efforts of the group to restore and make available old 3D movies.

The story about futile attempts to create a bluray 3D disc of "Hondo" (1953) is fascinating (see "HONDO Restoration.doc" on the 3D Archive web site). It illustrates some high hurdles in film restoration. I hope the Hondo project gets done someday soon.
dfa973 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Content

Tags
blu-ray 3d , gearvr

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page