Forum Jump: 
 1567Likes

post #1651 of 4253 Old 08-18-2015, 06:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 239
As long as hollywood keeps doing movies in 3D I think we will be fine. Though I think we are doing for an amazing native shot 3d hollywood blockbuster not a converted one.

As far as good deals, I have a best buy within 5 minutes of me, I go there weekly to see what movies are on sale. But sadly its not almost to the point I have almost every 3d movie they sell, but they have a small section. The Best Buys with a Magnolia have a much larger section but even then I have over half the movies they sell. As ive said in some other thread I think, check to see if you have a used cd/record store that sells movies as well in your area. I stop by in every paycheck and check my local one out and usually get lucky. Past few times ive paid $9-$10 for "used" movies. But when I pulled the slipcase off, they will still factory wrapped. I picked up Rio 2, Ice Age:CD, The Croods, and Wreckit Ralph tha way. Though sadly, yet again, Ive bough almost everything they have.

tv: Samsung 55HU8550
avr: Pioneer VSX 824
subs: Polk PSW108, Definitive Technology Pro-sub 800
l/r: Klipsch R28Fs, c: Infinity Beta C360 rear: cheapo Sharps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1652 of 4253 Old 08-18-2015, 09:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mars5l View Post
I picked up Rio 2, Ice Age:CD, The Croods, and Wreckit Ralph tha way. Though sadly, yet again, Ive bough almost everything they have.

Question - not necessarily specific to the quoted post.

Do most of you collect 3D titles simply because they are in 3D? Or are they movies you really want to own?

I enjoy 3D. When a movie is available in 3D, I will make sure to get the 3D version. However, if it is a movie I am not that interested in, I will not get it at all.

I look at the above titles... Rio, Ice Age, etc. I'm not knocking these - if you like them, enjoy! I just wonder if any/many people grab them simply for the 3D factor. It is a little frustrating to me that so many 3D titles are movies I have absolutely no interest in watching.
markmathers likes this.

Last edited by jrm21; 08-18-2015 at 09:24 PM.
post #1653 of 4253 Old 08-18-2015, 09:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I wouldnt mind watching them, I have not seen either honestly. For $9 second hand but still unused its worth it to get it for me. There is very few movies that I dont like and none of them are 3d movies. But part me will build up my 3d collection to just to build it up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1654 of 4253 Old 08-18-2015, 09:39 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3562
All for the love...of 3D. ...Rio, Rio 2, Ice Age, Continental Drift, Up, Ratatouille, Dredd, ...you name it.
post #1655 of 4253 Old 08-18-2015, 09:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I wouldnt mind watching them, I have not seen either honestly. For $9 second hand but still unused its worth it to get it for me. There is very few movies that I dont like and none of them are 3d movies. But part me will build up my 3d collection to just to build it up.

post #1656 of 4253 Old 08-18-2015, 11:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by film113 View Post
And not even all models of those!
I can't speak for Vizio or Panasonic or Samsung, but I'm pretty sure all LG 3DTVs since at least 2013 support 3DGO.

I only know that since my most recent TV is a LG 3DTV. I wanted a passive 3DTV and did a lot of research on what LG 3DTV to buy (I eventually got the 65UB9500). 3DGO has been getting a lot of use at my house over the last few months.
post #1657 of 4253 Old 08-18-2015, 11:51 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I only opt to purchase 3D films when it's a film I really enjoy. I therefore have a very, very small collection but they are all great films, and most notably:

Gravity
Predator
World War Z
DREDD (Best 3D film ever !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I'll get Terminator: Genesis when it comes out, not because it's a good film (it's lousy) but I want to see if the 3D actually makes it ay more bearable.. and I'm a Terminator completist.

markmathers likes this.
post #1658 of 4253 Old 08-19-2015, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I used to grab everything I could when 3D was new about 5 years ago just because there was so little content available. I look at my collection now and think "what the hell was I thinking buying that?" Since then I've gotten quite a bit more selective with the stuff I buy. Somehow I've accumulated close to 80 3D movies over the years, and I'd say close to half are ones that I regret buying.
ferl likes this.
post #1659 of 4253 Old 08-19-2015, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
I won't buy a non-3D tv. No way no how.
Same here.

Panasonic VIERA TC-P55ST30 55-Inch 1080p 3D Plasma HDTV TV
Panasonic DMP-BDT360 3D Blu-ray Disc Player
Panasonic DMP-BDT215 3D Blu-ray Disc Player
Yamaha RX-V757 Receiver, Cambridge Soundworks Towers, JBL center, and assorted other speakers for 7.1
post #1660 of 4253 Old 08-19-2015, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1193
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm21 View Post

Do most of you collect 3D titles simply because they are in 3D? Or are they movies you really want to own?

I enjoy 3D. When a movie is available in 3D, I will make sure to get the 3D version. However, if it is a movie I am not that interested in, I will not get it at all.

I look at the above titles... Rio, Ice Age, etc. I'm not knocking these - if you like them, enjoy! I just wonder if any/many people grab them simply for the 3D factor. It is a little frustrating to me that so many 3D titles are movies I have absolutely no interest in watching.
Love Rio. Great Jessie Eisenberg comedy. Didn't buy ice age since I'm not a big fan. I wish there were more serious 3D titles as well.
post #1661 of 4253 Old 08-19-2015, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000 View Post
I only opt to purchase 3D films when it's a film I really enjoy. I therefore have a very, very small collection but they are all great films, and most notably:

Gravity
Predator
World War Z

I'll get Terminator: Genesis when it comes out, not because it's a good film (it's lousy) but I want to see if the 3D actually makes it ay more bearable.. and I'm a Terminator completist.

You should definitely buy Pacific Rim 3D (Best 3D film I've seen!!! 😀
Highly recommended.
grubadub likes this.
post #1662 of 4253 Old 08-19-2015, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmathers View Post
I used to grab everything I could when 3D was new about 5 years ago just because there was so little content available. I look at my collection now and think "what the hell was I thinking buying that?" Since then I've gotten quite a bit more selective with the stuff I buy. Somehow I've accumulated close to 80 3D movies over the years, and I'd say close to half are ones that I regret buying.
Same thing here. I've had so many Blurays that I regretted later buying. I sold a lot of them on eBay, and now I just buy the movies that I really want for my "exclusive" collection. At least I have all excellent 3D Bluray movies.
markmathers likes this.
post #1663 of 4253 Old 08-19-2015, 08:51 AM
Rabid 3-D Aficionado

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Quote:

It's no secret that I am a huge fan and advocate for the format. I own over 215 3-D BD. To be candid, there are some I bought simply because they're in 3-D (Clash of the Titans and Deathly Hallows Pt 1 come to mind), but the real reason is that I simply wanted options. I am not a fan of streaming movies and so naturally that means having an abundance of movies to chose from makes sense. I didn't go out there and buy them all at once either. I've always been a BD collector and average about 500 titles at a time. Yet, years ago, long before I even owned a 3-D compatible TV, I started opting for the 3-D version or package containing the 3-D version with 2D knowing that would someday change. Fast forward to 2015, we now routinely watch 3-D BD and are loving all the options pretty much for whichever genre strikes our mood.
post #1664 of 4253 Old 08-19-2015, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post
Love Rio. Great Jessie Eisenberg comedy. Didn't buy ice age since I'm not a big fan. I wish there were more serious 3D titles as well.
While my preferences are different, that's the guide I use. I only buy a movie if it is something I really like and plan to watch. I don't see the point of owning a movie (no matter how inexpensive) if I find it a chore to watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliusCaesar View Post
Same thing here. I've had so many Blurays that I regretted later buying. I sold a lot of them on eBay, and now I just buy the movies that I really want for my "exclusive" collection. At least I have all excellent 3D Bluray movies.
Exactly the situation I was thinking of. I have one or two discs that are "what was I thinking" titles. With the dearth of 3D titles, it is sometimes easy to fall into the the trap of buying things because the price is right. Heck - I feel that way about "Frozen." Bought it because it was supposed to be great and I found a 3D version. Had I seen it before I bought the disc I would have saved my money. Visually nice, but the story is boring. (No offense to those who like it. I happen to love "Tangled" and many disagree with me on that one).
post #1665 of 4253 Old 08-19-2015, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
I also accumulated a lot of 3D movies, just for the 3D.

I traded many of them to 3D-blurayrental for credit.
markmathers likes this.
post #1666 of 4253 Old 08-19-2015, 09:04 AM
Rabid 3-D Aficionado

Quote:
With the dearth of 3D titles, it is sometimes easy to fall into the the trap of buying things because the price is right. Heck - I feel that way about "Frozen." Bought it because it was supposed to be great and I found a 3D version. Had I seen it before I bought the disc I would have saved my money. Visually nice, but the story is boring. (No offense to those who like it. I happen to love "Tangled" and many disagree with me on that one).
I realize 3-D is the focus of this thread, but isn't the act of buying just for the sake of buying something many do with Blu-rays in general? I for one own Steve McQueen's Bullitt and have yet to watch it.

Incidentally, I like Tangled better than Frozen too though haven't gotten around to seeing the former in 3-D yet.
markmathers likes this.
post #1667 of 4253 Old 08-19-2015, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1193
Quote:
While my preferences are different, that's the guide I use. I only buy a movie if it is something I really like and plan to watch. I don't see the point of owning a movie (no matter how inexpensive) if I find it a chore to watch.

Exactly the situation I was thinking of. I have one or two discs that are "what was I thinking" titles. With the dearth of 3D titles, it is sometimes easy to fall into the the trap of buying things because the price is right. Heck - I feel that way about "Frozen." Bought it because it was supposed to be great and I found a 3D version. Had I seen it before I bought the disc I would have saved my money. Visually nice, but the story is boring. (No offense to those who like it. I happen to love "Tangled" and many disagree with me on that one).
Think we are all on the same page when it comes to having had some awful 3D movie purchases. Almost all of my 3D purchases are blind buys since renting them is a PITA. Basically when I know a movie is coming out in theaters as 3D and I have any interest at all in seeing it at the theater, I instead just pre-order the 3D version since its much cheaper and I enjoy 3D at home more than in theater. Of course some bargains pop up for titles that I didn't know if I'd be interested in (Stalingrad comes to mind here) and then 9$ for a 'matinee' movie for my family is also a bargain. But yea, some are pretty much disposable after I'm done

btw we just rewatched Tangled this past weekend. We really like it and feel the 3D adds a good bit of immersion to the experience.
post #1668 of 4253 Old 08-19-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcuslaw View Post
I realize 3-D is the focus of this thread, but isn't the act of buying just for the sake of buying something many do with Blu-rays in general? I for one own Steve McQueen's Bullitt and have yet to watch it.

Incidentally, I like Tangled better than Frozen too though haven't gotten around to seeing the former in 3-D yet.
I'm sure it happens with 2D BR titles as well. It just seems more noticeable to me with 3D titles. I just see people buying and recommending titles based on the "3D" aspect rather than the "this is a great movie" aspect. At least that's my impression, which is why I asked the question.

Ironic you mentor Bullitt. I have that as part of the "Steve McQueen Collection" box set. Got a real good deal on it a while back. I also haven't watched Bullitt or Cincinnati Kid yet... I love McQueen and love those movies - just haven't found the time. So many movies, so little time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post
Think we are all on the same page when it comes to having had some awful 3D movie purchases. Almost all of my 3D purchases are blind buys since renting them is a PITA. Basically when I know a movie is coming out in theaters as 3D and I have any interest at all in seeing it at the theater, I instead just pre-order the 3D version since its much cheaper and I enjoy 3D at home more than in theater. Of course some bargains pop up for titles that I didn't know if I'd be interested in (Stalingrad comes to mind here) and then 9$ for a 'matinee' movie for my family is also a bargain. But yea, some are pretty much disposable after I'm done

btw we just rewatched Tangled this past weekend. We really like it and feel the 3D adds a good bit of immersion to the experience.

I do it the same way. Buying the 3D version is cheaper than my wife and I going to the movie theater. Plus, my seats are more comfortable, my room is quieter and the food is better. Because of that, I am more likely to end up buying a movie that may not be a "keeper." Of course, I tend to wait until the price comes down a bit, so get to preview some titles on cable before buying. If it a movie I am not sure of, I will always wait until cable before buying the disc.
post #1669 of 4253 Old 08-19-2015, 10:14 AM

BTW guys, I have a question for you since this thread is about 3D.
I currently have a Samsung with active 3D from 2011 and right now I'm debating buying the LG ec9300 which uses passive 3D and is OLED, now, I tried a passive 3D Tv at a friend's house a couple of times and I really liked. Here is my impression, we tested Exodus Gods & Kings ( BTW, great 3D) and on his passive set I could see the black lines but only sitting closer that 6 feet approximately, on the other side, the 3D felt more immersive, and It was definitely easier on my eyes. Do you guys think that this could be better, I ask all this because 3D is important in my buying decision. Thanks.
post #1670 of 4253 Old 08-19-2015, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1265 Post(s)
Liked: 505
I spent a lot of time dwelling on it, I was ready to buy a new 3D TV. Had decided to go with a 4k passive so that it was somewhat future ready too. What I really wanted was OLED and 4k, but they're just too expensive right now. Finally decided to go with a $700 projector that was 3D, the BenQ W1070 and finally finish up basement for theater room. I have to say, I'm loving it more than any other TV purchase so far. It's finally the closest I've been able to get to theater experience without buying tickets. Still have a little ways to go, lighting, flooring and some sound dampening but nearly there.

I'll probably upgrade to a 4k projector at some point, but I'm really not concerned about it now. I also have a passive LG from 2011 which works fine, but of course each eye only gets 960x540, that's really the main difference between active and passive. If you're going to sit close, I wouldn't go passive. Beyond that, I can't tell the difference. The picture looks great. However, my LG is above fireplace so you have to sit back farther and overall, it's just not great for 3D with it's location.

If it were me, I would just wait. There isn't much reason to upgrade to 4k yet. But if you do, active or passive you'll get 1080p per eye. But OLED is so nice...

I would take this over to the display section, you'd probably get more responses.

This line intentionally left blank.
post #1671 of 4253 Old 08-19-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
I spent a lot of time dwelling on it, I was ready to buy a new 3D TV. Had decided to go with a 4k passive so that it was somewhat future ready too. What I really wanted was OLED and 4k, but they're just too expensive right now. Finally decided to go with a $700 projector that was 3D, the BenQ W1070 and finally finish up basement for theater room. I have to say, I'm loving it more than any other TV purchase so far. It's finally the closest I've been able to get to theater experience without buying tickets. Still have a little ways to go, lighting, flooring and some sound dampening but nearly there.

I'll probably upgrade to a 4k projector at some point, but I'm really not concerned about it now. I also have a passive LG from 2011 which works fine, but of course each eye only gets 960x540, that's really the main difference between active and passive. If you're going to sit close, I wouldn't go passive. Beyond that, I can't tell the difference. The picture looks great. However, my LG is above fireplace so you have to sit back farther and overall, it's just not great for 3D with it's location.

If it were me, I would just wait. There isn't much reason to upgrade to 4k yet. But if you do, active or passive you'll get 1080p per eye. But OLED is so nice...

I would take this over to the display section, you'd probably get more responses.
Thanks for the response, I'll try the display section.

Last edited by JuliusCaesar; 08-19-2015 at 10:41 AM.
post #1672 of 4253 Old 08-19-2015, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 4952
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcuslaw View Post

When you watch Bullitt count during the famous car chase scene how many times they pass the same VW.
post #1673 of 4253 Old 08-19-2015, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
So sell 'em. Its still a pretty robust secondary market.
markmathers likes this.
post #1674 of 4253 Old 08-19-2015, 06:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 793 Post(s)
Liked: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000 View Post

Gravity
Predator
World War Z
World War Z is only a good movie if you HAVE NOT read the book. Worst adaptation ever-only thing in common was the title. Perhaps the 3D effects make it worth owning, but not for the story.
post #1675 of 4253 Old 08-19-2015, 07:11 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3562
'World War Z' in 3D? ...Nope, nothing special there...the audio fares much better.
post #1676 of 4253 Old 08-20-2015, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfster View Post
World War Z is only a good movie if you HAVE NOT read the book. Worst adaptation ever-only thing in common was the title. Perhaps the 3D effects make it worth owning, but not for the story.
I liked WWZ 3D. Fun! I did also read the book, which I thoroughly enjoyed. It was so episodic that I didn't really expect any film of it to follow much.

Panasonic VIERA TC-P55ST30 55-Inch 1080p 3D Plasma HDTV TV
Panasonic DMP-BDT360 3D Blu-ray Disc Player
Panasonic DMP-BDT215 3D Blu-ray Disc Player
Yamaha RX-V757 Receiver, Cambridge Soundworks Towers, JBL center, and assorted other speakers for 7.1
post #1677 of 4253 Old 08-22-2015, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliusCaesar View Post
Think that's the same experience many of us shared with the advent of DVD and 5.1 Dolby. Bought so many titles based on picture and audio quality, especially when high definition came into the game.

Must have several hundreds I don't even remember the plot is about anymore.

Almost five months ago got my first 3D the Sony 50w800b and do love it but to purchase a 3D blu ray player just for the few 3D discs I would be bound to purchase, well, I'm not going to spend that much again for one time viewings.

We have free on demand from HBO and Showtime which includes 3d so we are keeping it to that and simulation.
post #1678 of 4253 Old 08-23-2015, 05:53 AM
Rabid 3-D Aficionado

AVS Forum's review of Mad Max: Fury Road 3D (Blu-ray) is up. Not surprisingly, it received a nearly perfect score.

post #1679 of 4253 Old 08-23-2015, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So

Im trying to play 3d via netflix though the smart part of my tv and youtube...

Turn the glasses on...and they dont stay on...

I have a Sony KDL60W850B

They are synced I popped in a bluray 3d they work fine for that.

Is there something Im missing?

I also have tried this with my directv receiver. I searched for a 3d movie. put the glasses on and nothing they dont stay on.

The light keeps flashing. then glasses are off.

Thanks
post #1680 of 4253 Old 08-23-2015, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 891 Post(s)
Liked: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrovermiami View Post
So

Im trying to play 3d via netflix though the smart part of my tv and youtube...

Turn the glasses on...and they dont stay on...

I have a Sony KDL60W850B

They are synced I popped in a bluray 3d they work fine for that.

Is there something Im missing?

I also have tried this with my directv receiver. I searched for a 3d movie. put the glasses on and nothing they dont stay on.

The light keeps flashing. then glasses are off.

Thanks
Just a quick thought, battery going or if rechargeable needs recharge. Just quick thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Content

Tags
blu-ray 3d , gearvr

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page