What Have You "Watched" Lately? - Page 28 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 126Likes

post #811 of 834 Old 04-28-2019, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1267 Post(s)
Liked: 1375
Thor: The Dark World 3D. Decent 3D but it is a generally dark film so much of the action is hard to make out...at least on my front projection system.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 834 Old 04-28-2019, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 142

THE DINO KING/SPECKLES, THE TARBOSAURUS/ DINO KING AN AMAZING ADVENTURE FOR ALL AGES. My copy, the one shown is region B locked.

Live action backgrounds with CG creatures. Excellent 3D, audio was great. It could have done without the child's narration at the beginning, but, all in all I'm glad I purchased it. I think you'll enjoy it.
Frank714 likes this.

...finally retired and spending time in my dedicated HT!!!

SPARKSPLEX HT - Epson 6040 3D/4K UB Projector; 110" 16x9 Dalite HD Progressive Screen; Sammy 3D/4K K8500 region free; 7.2.4. w/Def Tech speakers, Earthquake P12v2 Subs; Auto Source 100vs Amp; Denon 4300H; MX990 Remote; 5 Bello chairs; Coaire Mini-split.
post #813 of 834 Old 05-04-2019, 09:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Filmed for 3D and everything is constantly flying at your face...AWESOME!!! A must for your collection.

The bridge sequence is one of the best comin' at ya I've ever seen!!!

RobKnapp likes this.

...finally retired and spending time in my dedicated HT!!!

SPARKSPLEX HT - Epson 6040 3D/4K UB Projector; 110" 16x9 Dalite HD Progressive Screen; Sammy 3D/4K K8500 region free; 7.2.4. w/Def Tech speakers, Earthquake P12v2 Subs; Auto Source 100vs Amp; Denon 4300H; MX990 Remote; 5 Bello chairs; Coaire Mini-split.

Last edited by inspector; 05-16-2019 at 09:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #814 of 834 Old 05-05-2019, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 84
AQUAMAN 3/5
3D: 5/5
AQ: 5/5*

A little long for the movie, but an ok popcorn flick overall. Mamoa was his usual awesome self but kind of wish he wasn’t played to look so oafish in ways. I overall loved the brutality given to Black Manta and loved the costume too. I also gotta say the *DTS-HDMA track with the 3D presentation was amazing with the added Neural X applied on top. Although I wonder how much better the Atmos track would of been with the presentation which the blu-ray and UHD discs get. Speaking of presentation, this is one stunning looking 3D disc. You get a few little pop outs here and there, but the overall depth/separation of objects was amazing. Now another thing I wish they did was follow Disney’s lead and include the expanded IMAX ratio for the 3D disc. The blu-ray and UHD disc got it, but 3D gets the shaft. This also seems to be a non-censored release, as blood is seen several times on my Amazon France steelbook release. Even went back to check screen grabs where the blood was dialled back or non existent on the UK release (from screen shots i have seen posted of the Italy battle) So I wish the movie were a little shorter, but you can’t go wrong with this strong 3D presentation

My DVD Collection
HOME THEATER:
JVC X950RB Projector, 106", Oppo-203 (Region Free) Sony 55X900F 4K/Dolby Vision , Marantz sr7010 in 5.2.4 Atmos/DTS:X
post #815 of 834 Old 05-16-2019, 05:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1057 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Hercules - Dwayne Johnson version 2014 - Amazon

I had ignored this title for years, but the price was right, so I finally bought it. I was actually impressed with the 3D depth for a conversion, and the director put in a lot of popouts (spears, knives, etc.). The sets were well done for a period piece. It also had a sense of humor, however, Dwayne Johnson sometimes fell into playing himself, but I let that go. The movie explores how the fantasy legend of Hercules came to be, though, he was just a human, not a god--a different view from all the past movies. All in all, it was a good popcorn flick with lots of action, and the body count was one of the highest I've seen in a long time. The features on the 2D version disk were also good, and I was amazed at how much effort was put into making this movie, as the sets were huge...
post #816 of 834 Old 05-16-2019, 06:39 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by invadergir View Post
AQUAMAN 3/5
3D: 5/5
AQ: 5/5*

A little long for the movie, but an ok popcorn flick overall. Mamoa was his usual awesome self but kind of wish he wasn’t played to look so oafish in ways. I overall loved the brutality given to Black Manta and loved the costume too. I also gotta say the *DTS-HDMA track with the 3D presentation was amazing with the added Neural X applied on top. Although I wonder how much better the Atmos track would of been with the presentation which the blu-ray and UHD discs get. Speaking of presentation, this is one stunning looking 3D disc. You get a few little pop outs here and there, but the overall depth/separation of objects was amazing. Now another thing I wish they did was follow Disney’s lead and include the expanded IMAX ratio for the 3D disc. The blu-ray and UHD disc got it, but 3D gets the shaft. This also seems to be a non-censored release, as blood is seen several times on my Amazon France steelbook release. Even went back to check screen grabs where the blood was dialled back or non existent on the UK release (from screen shots i have seen posted of the Italy battle) So I wish the movie were a little shorter, but you can’t go wrong with this strong 3D presentation
I completely agree with your review, great picture, great sound and weak movie but entertaining. I also got the amazonFr steel so I waited a long time to see the movie and have to admit it wasnt really worth the wait. Although i now have the 4k version im in no hurry to watch it again.

Lg G6
Oppo 203, Ps4Pro
Emotiva, XMC-1 V3, Xpa-2, Xpa-5
PSA V1801
Airmotiv T2(front), C2(Center), T1(surrounds), E1(surround backs)
post #817 of 834 Old 05-16-2019, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob View Post
Hercules - Dwayne Johnson version 2014 - Amazon

I had ignored this title for years, but the price was right, so I finally bought it. I was actually impressed with the 3D depth for a conversion, and the director put in a lot of popouts (spears, knives, etc.). The sets were well done for a period piece. It also had a sense of humor, however, Dwayne Johnson sometimes fell into playing himself, but I let that go. The movie explores how the fantasy legend of Hercules came to be, though, he was just a human, not a god--a different view from all the past movies. All in all, it was a good popcorn flick with lots of action, and the body count was one of the highest I've seen in a long time. The features on the 2D version disk were also good, and I was amazed at how much effort was put into making this movie, as the sets were huge...
Watched this sometimes back & really got a WOW feeling as I watched with low expectations. amazed with overall movie & Pop-outs
Definitely to have in our collection. Especially the first 3 mnts beginning of the movie is awesome
post #818 of 834 Old 05-17-2019, 05:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspector View Post

THE DINO KING/SPECKLES, THE TARBOSAURUS/ DINO KING AN AMAZING ADVENTURE FOR ALL AGES. My copy, the one shown is region B locked.

Live action backgrounds with CG creatures. Excellent 3D, audio was great. It could have done without the child's narration at the beginning, but, all in all I'm glad I purchased it. I think you'll enjoy it.

Quite a different cover than the German one I still have to watch. Which reminds me of something: Just realized there was a sequel in 2017: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dino_K..._Fire_Mountain

Unfortunately it looks as if it hasn't been released on either Blu-ray or 3D Blu-ray, yet. (even checked Amazon Japan, alas, no luck!)

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde
post #819 of 834 Old 05-17-2019, 05:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
Thor: The Dark World 3D. Decent 3D but it is a generally dark film ...

Curious, a movie title that tells the viewer what kind of image brightness to expect....

Isn't that an issue for many MARVEL films? (i.e. images too dark)
old corps likes this.

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde
post #820 of 834 Old 05-17-2019, 05:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank714 View Post
Curious, a movie title that tells the viewer what kind of image brightness to expect....

Isn't that an issue for many MARVEL films? (i.e. images too dark)
No, not really....
post #821 of 834 Old 05-18-2019, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Wrath of the Titans - 3D (2012) - Jonathan Liebesman directed. Sam Worthington, Rosamund Pike, Bill Nighy, Édgar Ramírez, Toby Kebbell, Danny Huston, Sinead Cusack, John Bell, Ralph Fiennes and Liam Neeson.

Decent 3D even though it was done in post-conversion. 7/10.

post #822 of 834 Old 05-29-2019, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Our "first" 3D movie at home as we just got a projector that plays them. I have seen this in 2D. The 3D version is awesome!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	prometheus.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	2573216  
dew42 and RobKnapp like this.
post #823 of 834 Old 06-03-2019, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1057 Post(s)
Liked: 566
47 Ronin - Amazon 2013 Release filmed in 3D

First, if you want to view some great scenery and realistic looking sets, this is one of those films. Surprisingly, the 3D has a layered look, though filmed in 3D. That can happen when 3D filming is mixed with 3D cgi. I'm beginning to think that conversions have better depth, now..what? Did I really say that? A period piece about Medieval Japan and the honor of the Samurai. When dishonored, Samurai are called Ronin and their were 47 of them...enough said. Keanu Reeves--a half-breed (that's what they called him in the movie) English/Japanese does a credible job, but he's so submissive at times, he seems way out of character. The movie gets a little boring during the plot setup, but I really liked the sets--they were so well done for this period. I will probably watch it again just for the sets, it was 150+ million production that lost big time for Universal and put them in the red after that--mainly due to a low Rotten Tomatoes rating. Would I buy this again?--I think so, just for the production values alone.
post #824 of 834 Old 06-03-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob View Post
47 Ronin - Amazon 2013 Release filmed in 3D

First, if you want to view some great scenery and realistic looking sets, this is one of those films. Surprisingly, the 3D has a layered look, though filmed in 3D. That can happen when 3D filming is mixed with 3D cgi. I'm beginning to think that conversions have better depth, now..what? Did I really say that? A period piece about Medieval Japan and the honor of the Samurai. When dishonored, Samurai are called Ronin and their were 47 of them...enough said. Keanu Reeves--a half-breed (that's what they called him in the movie) English/Japanese does a credible job, but he's so submissive at times, he seems way out of character. The movie gets a little boring during the plot setup, but I really liked the sets--they were so well done for this period. I will probably watch it again just for the sets, it was 150+ million production that lost big time for Universal and put them in the red after that--mainly due to a low Rotten Tomatoes rating. Would I buy this again?--I think so, just for the production values alone.
Yes, I watched this 3D a few weeks ago & liked it...Looks like one of the under-rated 3D movies
post #825 of 834 Old 06-05-2019, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 47
American Mummy

I watched "American Mummy" (2014) last night. I picked up this used low-budget horror-sexploitation flick at a pawn shop. They should have paid me to take it off their hands.

Don't bother with this unless you are an uncritical hard core horror fan.

This is not to be confused with the Tom Cruise movie, the Brendan Fraser movies or the classic Universal mummy movies.

It is simply awful, in terms of plot, acting, dialog, low-budget special effects, direction, editing, etc., but the 3D is O.K. and it does have some pop-outs.

I skimmed it and threw it into my discard box.
post #826 of 834 Old 06-05-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rural scribe View Post
I watched "American Mummy" (2014) last night. I picked up this used low-budget horror-sexploitation flick at a pawn shop. They should have paid me to take it off their hands.

Don't bother with this unless you are an uncritical hard core horror fan.

This is not to be confused with the Tom Cruise movie, the Brendan Fraser movies or the classic Universal mummy movies.

It is simply awful, in terms of plot, acting, dialog, low-budget special effects, direction, editing, etc., but the 3D is O.K. and it does have some pop-outs.

I skimmed it and threw it into my discard box.
Perfect timing Was about to buy this & you have saved my money. Thanks
post #827 of 834 Old 06-10-2019, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mortal Engines 3D (Region free) - From Amazon UK for ~$17.

Watched last night. A darkish movie if watching on a projector with active shutter glasses. Movie has decent 3D depth which I would rate somewhere in the middle of the pack.

post #828 of 834 Old 06-18-2019, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Monster House 3D (2006) - Part of the Blu-ray 3D package I received for Father's Day. Another movie that taxed my 3D projector and active shutter glasses...and for me darkish from beginning to end. A purely digital film with good depth but no pop-outs that I can remember seeing.

post #829 of 834 Old 06-18-2019, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Just saw the Lego Ninjago movie with the fam and it was a surprisingly good movie (the kids have been blowing through the TV series... blown through almost 9 seasons in the past few weeks) and the 3D was very good with depth but not a lot of pop outs, but excellent overall. Watched it on the 65" Sony with passive 3D instead of the projector since we haven't been able to find any active 3D glasses that fit the kids.

VIDEO: Epson 5040UB | Sony 65X900A | Sony 55X900A | Samsung UN40H5500
MEDIA: Oppo UDP 203 | Oppo BDP 103 | Apple TV | Amazon FireTV | Nintendo Switch
RECEIVER: Yamaha Aventage RX-A820
AUDIO: Monitor Audio Silver 100 (front), Monitor Audio Silver C350 (center), Monitor Audio Shadow 25 (rear), Rythmik L22 (sub)
post #830 of 834 Old 06-18-2019, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
Monster House 3D (2006) - Part of the Blu-ray 3D package I received for Father's Day. Another movie that taxed my 3D projector and active shutter glasses...and for me darkish from beginning to end. A purely digital film with good depth but no pop-outs that I can remember seeing.

A common thread in your reviews is that you feel the 3D movie is "darkish" and a problem for your active shutter glasses... Curious, what projector are you using? Luckily, I guess, I do not notice such glaring issues on those same titles on my Panasonic 8000 with the 3rd generation active shutter glasses...
post #831 of 834 Old 06-19-2019, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post
A common thread in your reviews is that you feel the 3D movie is "darkish" and a problem for your active shutter glasses... Curious, what projector are you using? Luckily, I guess, I do not notice such glaring issues on those same titles on my Panasonic 8000 with the 3rd generation active shutter glasses...
I mention 'darkish' because it's likely part of my setup...so it's a qualifier. People with brighter displays may not see the same issue.

I use the Epson HC4000 4K projector with a fairly new lamp. ValueView active shutter 3D glasses. Panasonic UB820 player. Sit about 10 feet from 120" screen. Screen gain is 1.1.

I use 'Bright Cinema' for everything. I'm thinking of experimenting with the display setting. Brightness-wise our projectors are fairly similar.
RobKnapp likes this.

post #832 of 834 Old 06-30-2019, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Watched R.I.P.D. and Immortals in 3D last night. Region free bundle available on Amazon.

Decent 3D depth and a few pop-outs on R.I.P.D. Not that impressed with the 3D on Immortals.

post #833 of 834 Old 07-04-2019, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Piranha 3DD (2012) - John Gulager (son of Clu Gulager) directs. Danielle Panabaker, Matt Bush, David Koechner, Chris Zylka, Katrina Bowden, Gary Busey, Christopher Lloyd and David Hasselhoff.

A low budget, self parody film. Not as enjoyable as the original but it was a few good moments. Surprisingly for a movie shot in 3D it's not that remarkable although there are some good pop-outs.

post #834 of 834 Old 07-05-2019, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Planes 3D (2013) - Klay Hill directs. Voiced by Dane Cook, Stacy Keach, Teri Hatcher, Priyanka Chopra, Brad Garrett, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Roger Craig Smith, John Cleese, Carlos Alazraqui, Sinbad, Val Kilmer and Anthony Edwards.

Enjoyable story although sometimes it seems more geared toward adults than kids. Good 3D depth but little in the way of pop-outs. Not a disc I would demo for anyone.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Content

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page