What Have You "Watched" Lately? - Page 30 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 146Likes

post #871 of 891 Old 11-01-2019, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 280
I recently watched Angry Birds, The BFG, and X-Men Apocalypse (all in 3D). Enjoyed them all, but thought the X-men 3D was especially high quality.

Panasonic VIERA TC-P55ST30 55-Inch 1080p 3D Plasma HDTV TV
Panasonic DMP-BDT360 3D Blu-ray Disc Player
Panasonic DMP-BDT215 3D Blu-ray Disc Player
Yamaha RX-V757 Receiver, Cambridge Soundworks Towers, JBL center, and assorted other speakers for 7.1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #872 of 891 Old 11-08-2019, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Liked: 585
Parasite - bluray rental - restored 3D version by 3D Film Archive - Released by Kino Lorber

Well, Demi Moore is in it as her first major role, and plays an 18-year-old. The other actors were somewhat known at the time, but forgotten now. Released originally in 1983 as a new regeneration of 3D quality in film. The restoration is tough to watch in the beginning as the 3D alignment is not quite right because of the smoke in the scenes. Color and contrast are hazy, then suddenly, it snaps into a better quality image.I have a 160" screen and found it hard to watch sometimes as the separation of infinity objects was sometimes too wide, up to 6+"--should be 2.5" max. . It has a lot of pop-outs, which back then made people scream. I don't think you will have that reaction now. Some of it is very hokey by today's standards.

The story was confusing at first, until you realize it's about a dystopian future. I was surprised by the nudity and language for a 1983 film, but nothing to worry about. Probably not a film for under 13 crowd. I won't give away the story, but the name of the movie is pretty much what it is about. Man-made parasite developed for all the wrong reasons gets released and a man must find and kill it. The acting is old school, but not overly stupid. Stan Winston (Terminator, Aliens, Jurassic Park, etc.) created the parasite--definitely low budget, and some other effects for the movie. The filming of the effects, though, was not of his standards in later films as you will see.

Leave your expectations at the door, bring lots of popcorn and reminisce about the past, while watching with friends, and laugh a lot. Be prepared for a lot of "oooh that scene hurt my eyes". I see this as a good rental, but not an own, unless you are keen on owning all of the restorations from 3D Film Archive: http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/
post #873 of 891 Old 11-08-2019, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob View Post
Parasite - bluray rental - restored 3D version by 3D Film Archive - Released by Kino Lorber

Well, Demi Moore is in it as her first major role, and plays an 18-year-old. The other actors were somewhat known at the time, but forgotten now. Released originally in 1983 as a new regeneration of 3D quality in film. The restoration is tough to watch in the beginning as the 3D alignment is not quite right because of the smoke in the scenes. Color and contrast are hazy, then suddenly, it snaps into a better quality image.I have a 160" screen and found it hard to watch sometimes as the separation of infinity objects was sometimes too wide, up to 6+"--should be 2.5" max. . It has a lot of pop-outs, which back then made people scream. I don't think you will have that reaction now. Some of it is very hokey by today's standards.

The story was confusing at first, until you realize it's about a dystopian future. I was surprised by the nudity and language for a 1983 film, but nothing to worry about. Probably not a film for under 13 crowd. I won't give away the story, but the name of the movie is pretty much what it is about. Man-made parasite developed for all the wrong reasons gets released and a man must find and kill it. The acting is old school, but not overly stupid. Stan Winston (Terminator, Aliens, Jurassic Park, etc.) created the parasite--definitely low budget, and some other effects for the movie. The filming of the effects, though, was not of his standards in later films as you will see.

Leave your expectations at the door, bring lots of popcorn and reminisce about the past, while watching with friends, and laugh a lot. Be prepared for a lot of "oooh that scene hurt my eyes". I see this as a good rental, but not an own, unless you are keen on owning all of the restorations from 3D Film Archive: http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/
If http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/ had a link to buy their movies, I sure couldn't find it.

I know I can search Amazon, etc. , but direct links from the site would be so easy, it would probably lead to more sales. Just my opinion.

Yamaha RX-V757 Receiver, Cambridge Soundworks Towers, JBL center, and assorted other speakers for 7.1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #874 of 891 Old 11-08-2019, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEmoto View Post
If http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/ had a link to buy their movies, I sure couldn't find it.

I know I can search Amazon, etc. , but direct links from the site would be so easy, it would probably lead to more sales. Just my opinion.
Good point, I should have posted the publisher/releaser link: Kino Lorber. The 3dfilmarchive is mainly several guys that restore 3D that gets released by others. Kino Lorber has a lot of old restored 2D as well. https://www.klstudioclassics.com/shop/new-releases

The site has a poor search ability. Search for "3-D" and "3D" or by name of movie you see on 3Dfilmarchive site.
MrEmoto likes this.
post #875 of 891 Old 11-08-2019, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob View Post

There are a crap load of us that own 3Ders. That's the joy of collecting...NOT renting!...hence, me with 348 physical 3Ders!!! ...love them all!
CopyRon likes this.

...finally retired and spending time in my dedicated HT!!!

SPARKSPLEX HT - Epson 6040 3D/4K UB Projector; 110" 16x9 Dalite HD Progressive Screen; Sammy 3D/4K K8500 region free; 7.2.4. w/Def Tech speakers, Earthquake P12v2 Subs; Auto Source 100vs Amp; Denon 4300H; MX990 Remote; 5 Bello chairs; Coaire Mini-split.
post #876 of 891 Old 11-08-2019, 07:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspector View Post
There are a crap load of us that own 3Ders. That's the joy of collecting...NOT renting!...hence, me with 348 physical 3Ders!!! ...love them all!
According to my wife, I have the biggest crap load of anyone. At some point, I have to make a decision whether I would watch it more than once before I buy.
MrEmoto and CopyRon like this.
post #877 of 891 Old 11-10-2019, 08:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Very good all around and a great addition to your collection.

SPARKSPLEX HT - Epson 6040 3D/4K UB Projector; 110" 16x9 Dalite HD Progressive Screen; Sammy 3D/4K K8500 region free; 7.2.4. w/Def Tech speakers, Earthquake P12v2 Subs; Auto Source 100vs Amp; Denon 4300H; MX990 Remote; 5 Bello chairs; Coaire Mini-split.
post #878 of 891 Old 11-10-2019, 10:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Dial M for murder, fun movie, went beyond my expectations, great story that holds up well all these years later
vince48 and Postmoderndesign like this.
post #879 of 891 Old 11-11-2019, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Incredibles 2 (3D). Good fun. I thought the 3D was excellent although there were not many pop-outs that I can think of now.
m0j0 likes this.

post #880 of 891 Old 11-11-2019, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Been watching the tv show Lucifer lately. So good!
m0j0 likes this.
post #881 of 891 Old 11-12-2019, 12:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogoroh View Post
Been watching the tv show Lucifer lately. So good!

Wrong thread.

post #882 of 891 Old 11-12-2019, 12:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

What a POS! The last 10 minutes was the best. Great 3D and very good audio.

post #883 of 891 Old 11-16-2019, 04:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 5225
The Stewardesses

3D Blu-ray

OK....This was something different.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stewardesses 3D.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	2641964  

Spoiler!
post #884 of 891 Old 11-16-2019, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagtopFE View Post
The Stewardesses

3D Blu-ray

OK....This was something different.
I need to watch my copy. I've had it for some time, just can't get around to it.
RagtopFE likes this.

This line intentionally left blank.
post #885 of 891 Old 11-18-2019, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
I need to watch my copy. I've had it for some time, just can't get around to it.
Same here, LOL.

I did watch Seventh Son over the weekend.

I thought the 3D was pretty good throughout. The movie itself was fun. Jeff Bridges' character was a lot of fun. Sort of a Yoda type of character, if Yoda drank a lot. LOL.

post #886 of 891 Old 11-18-2019, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 119
You'll never be the same after watching the short subject "Experiments in Love" included on the "Stewardesses" disc.
post #887 of 891 Old 11-18-2019, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve P. View Post
You'll never be the same after watching the short subject "Experiments in Love" included on the "Stewardesses" disc.
Ok, now I have to watch it, LOL.

post #888 of 891 Old 11-18-2019, 02:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 5225
Quote:
Agreed.

Spoiler!
post #889 of 891 Old 11-26-2019, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Spiderman: Far From Home - UK release All regions

Tom Holland is definitely the best Spiderman. The movie takes off where the Endgame ends. About all I will say about that. Looks like the franchise has a lot more planned for Spiderman in the future according to end credits and the additional material. The typical, Marvel hero gets called up while on vacation to save the world. The scenery in Europe is worth watching regardless of whether you like Spiderman. Another family movie, and you have to leave your mind at the door as usual and bring lots of popcorn. Although, references in the beginning to Endgame might make you think this is an extension of that plotline, and they talk about how half of the world's population was destroyed, the movie does stands on it's own.

I would give the 3D a 5 of 5. Well done, great depth and one of the sharpest (re: good depth of field) I've seen in a Marvel movie. They did a better job on the CGI for the Spiderman jumps than previous versions, plus Tom Holland did a lot of his own stunts like Tom Cruise does. I had a couple of moments where I felt that some of Spiderman's abilities in this movie were beyond what he's been capable of in previous releases. It might be they are gearing him up to be a more powerful, resilient hero. They still tried to keep his personality at the high school level, but that's getting a little dated, and I think that will change in upcoming releases.

Audio is adequate, but didn't stand out. It's not ATMOS on the 3D, but is on the 2D version as I understand. I'd give it a 3.5 of 5. Not many popouts, though, there could have been. 3D layering was well done, though.

General quality of the image, I'd give 4.5 of 5. There are a couple of dark scenes that will give less bright projectors an issue, but otherwise the scenes are bright and adequate with good color and contrast.
MrEmoto likes this.
post #890 of 891 Old 12-03-2019, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked: 508
Fright Night.

I'd seen before years ago. In 3D it's a totally different movie. They nailed the 3D effects in this one. I love the out of screen effects when a vampire is killed. At the end it's really awesome and on my 125" screen, the effects are right out in the room, nearly all of my vision is filled at 10 feet. Wow!

This line intentionally left blank.
post #891 of 891 Old 12-03-2019, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I watched it over the weekend. I think the pop-outs were the most extreme that I have seen to date. What a weird little short film.

Also watched:

It took me a little while to become accustomed to the visual style. Once I adjusted, I think it was a fair approximation of a comic book, in a way. I enjoyed the film, although there were times when characters or other items on the screen would get things like repeated purple outlines around them for a moment that made me wonder if I got a bad copy of the movie. I assume that stuff was intentional? I liked it overall. Quite different. The 3D was quite good for much of the time.

Also watched:

About what one would expect of a blockbuster monster film. Well done, overall, and enjoyable with decent 3D.
RagtopFE likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Content

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page