3D Movies With the Most/ Best "Pop Out" Effects - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 59Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 212 Old 11-26-2014, 01:28 PM
 
NorthSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Star of the Northern Hemisphere
Posts: 16,643
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3562
I generally (mostly) found that the 3D films that suck the most (bad flicks) have the most "pop out" 3D effects.
{There are few exceptions of course but they are extremely rare.}

All the better films are not falling for this type of "childish" effects.

Kids stuff.
NorthSky is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 212 Old 11-26-2014, 06:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Rambler358's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 1,190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Have those few exceptions been listed yet?
Rambler358 is offline  
post #33 of 212 Old 11-26-2014, 07:24 PM
Senior Member
 
EVERRET's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California
Posts: 215
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 74
PoP Out

Monsters vs Aliens 3D ,

In the extras..... there is a 10 minute short called Bob's big Break , It has quiet a few PoP Out's in Full Screen 3D.
EVERRET is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 212 Old 11-26-2014, 07:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
old corps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mid-Michigan
Posts: 1,787
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post
Newly released THE BUBBLE might have the best pop-outs since SAMMY'S

Absolutely! Gimmicky, cheesy and a lot of fun just like I expected. The most real POP outs I've seen yet. Think the cod fish in Under the Sea but many of them. It certainly ain't Oscar material but the wife & I enjoyed it!

Ed
old corps is offline  
post #35 of 212 Old 11-26-2014, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Chere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,311
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
I generally (mostly) found that the 3D films that suck the most (bad flicks) have the most "pop out" 3D effects.
{There are few exceptions of course but they are extremely rare.}

All the better films are not falling for this type of "childish" effects.

Kids stuff.

And that's the issue. They don't have to be. They can be part of the movie experience without being too much of a distraction if done correctly. Imagine Sandra Bullock subtly floating out in front of you in Gravity at the beginning when she and Clooney were working on the station or a slasher flick having more drastic pop outs during the gruesome scenes........ It adds to the visual experience. I'm not saying a movie has to be choke full of it. Far from it. There might even be movies where it might not make sense to include them at all which is fine. I just don't think depth by itself is enough but apparently every director thinks so today.

In the mean time, I'll keep looking for those rare finds and hope they don't suck too bad

Last edited by Chere; 11-26-2014 at 10:55 PM.
Chere is offline  
post #36 of 212 Old 11-26-2014, 11:22 PM
 
NorthSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Star of the Northern Hemisphere
Posts: 16,643
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler358 View Post
Have those few exceptions been listed yet?
...A new thread, or you know the smart 3D Blu-ray titles with smart 3D pop out effects? ...Not many, I tell you that right from the bat.
NorthSky is offline  
post #37 of 212 Old 11-26-2014, 11:28 PM
 
NorthSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Star of the Northern Hemisphere
Posts: 16,643
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post
And that's the issue. They don't have to be. They can be part of the movie experience without being too much of a distraction if done correctly. Imagine Sandra Bullock subtly floating out in front of you in Gravity at the beginning when she and Clooney were working on the station or a slasher flick having more drastic pop outs during the gruesome scenes........ It adds to the visual experience. I'm not saying a movie has to be choke full of it. Far from it. There might even be movies where it might not make sense to include them at all which is fine. I just don't think depth by itself is enough but apparently every director thinks so today.

In the mean time, I'll keep looking for those rare finds and hope they don't suck too bad
It's a fact; all good movie directors doing 3D are not into gimmicks, but realistic 3D depth (artistic creativity done in realistic way).

But your thread is still fun though; for people in search of that kind of stuff. ...Me included, @ times. ...Only @ times though.
Chere likes this.
NorthSky is offline  
post #38 of 212 Old 11-27-2014, 06:42 AM
Advanced Member
 
johnny905's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 511
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
It's a fact; all good movie directors doing 3D are not into gimmicks, but realistic 3D depth (artistic creativity done in realistic way).

But your thread is still fun though; for people in search of that kind of stuff. ...Me included, @ times. ...Only @ times though.
Don't foget Yogi the Bear (yes I own it). One of the best pop out scenes when Yogi is flying through the air in slow motion with his food flying all around him in my living room.

That and Under the Sea (Potato Cod scene) have the 2 best pop out scenes in my collection.
Chere likes this.
johnny905 is offline  
post #39 of 212 Old 11-27-2014, 11:22 AM
Member
 
sleekgreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
...A new thread, or you know the smart 3D Blu-ray titles with smart 3D pop out effects? ...Not many, I tell you that right from the bat.
Your comments have lent nothing to this thread. Your smug I know some but wont say is annoying, plain and simple. Hopefully some more titles will be listed here as I'm new to 3d sets and am looking for the same. depth is great, smart is great but sometimes you just wanna eat some popcorn and get wowed for a couple hours.
Toe likes this.
sleekgreek is offline  
post #40 of 212 Old 11-27-2014, 01:28 PM
 
NorthSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Star of the Northern Hemisphere
Posts: 16,643
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3562
Very sorry you feel that way. ...I just share my experience as it truly is. ...I'm very big on 3D.

* When I watch a 3D flick I watch it for the overall experience (film value), and not necessarily for the pop out effects.
But like any other human being, I too enjoy the occasional good pop out 3D effect. ...But it is NOT the reason why I would re-watch that flick.
I would revisit a 3D film for it's true value content (the story, the captivation, the invigoration, the intensity, the acting, the joy, the overall immersion).

Like if I watch the 3D flick 'Nurse' for example; well I can tell you that I will never revisit it again, even for the 3D pop out effects.
So many films so little time.

- To say that my comments bring nothing to this thread is like killing my right to an opinion.
You don't have to agree with my opinion, but you have to respect my right to express and share (opinion/comments).
And furthermore, my comments are always totally respectful, and it is the post content that I am addressing, and not the poster.
In your above post you directly address my person (I'm good with that), but negatively (less good).

Anyway; do you have some great 3D blu-ray titles that you would like to share and that have great 3D pop out effects, besides the ones we already mentioned?

Most 3D "horror" flicks are constructed specially with that in mind (eg.; 'My Bloody Valentine', 'Piranha', ...) and other type of extreme superthriller ('Final Destination 4', and '5'). ...And Christmas stuff too: 'A Christmas Carol'. ...For them cool/occasional 3D pop out effects (outside the screen).

And! Most IMAX 3D wildlife and 3D space documentaries; 'Under the Sea', etc. have them too. ...IMAX is cool in that way.

And perhaps you misinterpreted my comments as if they were obsolete? ...This is unfortunate because I simply share my ideas and vision in the most friendly/honest way that I am capable of.
Yodabutt and old corps like this.

Last edited by NorthSky; 11-27-2014 at 01:59 PM.
NorthSky is offline  
post #41 of 212 Old 11-27-2014, 02:31 PM
 
NorthSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Star of the Northern Hemisphere
Posts: 16,643
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3562
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny905 View Post
Don't foget Yogi the Bear (yes I own it). One of the best pop out scenes when Yogi is flying through the air in slow motion with his food flying all around him in my living room.

That and Under the Sea (Potato Cod scene) have the 2 best pop out scenes in my collection.
I don't think I have Yogi; is that a cool flick?
NorthSky is offline  
post #42 of 212 Old 11-27-2014, 07:23 PM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 16,764
Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2744 Post(s)
Liked: 3629
Yogi had great 3d, but one viewing was plenty for me. Nothing I would personally want to own, but movies are subjective of course.

Last edited by Toe; 11-27-2014 at 10:01 PM.
Toe is online now  
post #43 of 212 Old 11-27-2014, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Chere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,311
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 193
I know people keep mentioning Final Destination 5 but I can't for the life of me remember it having any pop out scenes


FD-4 had lots though
Chere is offline  
post #44 of 212 Old 11-28-2014, 03:14 AM
Senior Member
 
fxrh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I have 111 3D Blu rays, but my popout demo now consists of Youtube downloads of those promotional clips created by TV manufacturers (especially LG) originally devised to sell 3D sets. In the good old days, you could go to Best Buy and see a cool "in your face" 3D clip, come back a few weeks later, and see a different one. Now I have dozens of them available for home viewing. I was amazed by the quality of many of these videos, especially the ones that use "full" side-by-side 1080P. (What the heck is "full" side-by-side format anyway? I'm familiar with "half" SBS but "full" SBS is new to me.) A word of warning: I have an OPPO BDP-103D player that had no problem with a playlist of these downloaded clips, but other 3D Blu ray players might not be able to make sense of "full" SBS. Another word of warning: Watching these clips on your home theater system may well ruin you for the few-and-far-between popout scenes in most 3D movies.
SoCalMacDude likes this.

Last edited by fxrh; 11-28-2014 at 03:35 AM.
fxrh is offline  
post #45 of 212 Old 11-28-2014, 10:09 AM
Member
 
sleekgreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Very sorry you feel that way. ...I just share my experience as it truly is. ...I'm very big on 3D.

* When I watch a 3D flick I watch it for the overall experience (film value), and not necessarily for the pop out effects.
But like any other human being, I too enjoy the occasional good pop out 3D effect. ...But it is NOT the reason why I would re-watch that flick.
I would revisit a 3D film for it's true value content (the story, the captivation, the invigoration, the intensity, the acting, the joy, the overall immersion).

Like if I watch the 3D flick 'Nurse' for example; well I can tell you that I will never revisit it again, even for the 3D pop out effects.
So many films so little time.

- To say that my comments bring nothing to this thread is like killing my right to an opinion.
You don't have to agree with my opinion, but you have to respect my right to express and share (opinion/comments).
And furthermore, my comments are always totally respectful, and it is the post content that I am addressing, and not the poster.
In your above post you directly address my person (I'm good with that), but negatively (less good).

Anyway; do you have some great 3D blu-ray titles that you would like to share and that have great 3D pop out effects, besides the ones we already mentioned?

Most 3D "horror" flicks are constructed specially with that in mind (eg.; 'My Bloody Valentine', 'Piranha', ...) and other type of extreme superthriller ('Final Destination 4', and '5'). ...And Christmas stuff too: 'A Christmas Carol'. ...For them cool/occasional 3D pop out effects (outside the screen).

And! Most IMAX 3D wildlife and 3D space documentaries; 'Under the Sea', etc. have them too. ...IMAX is cool in that way.

And perhaps you misinterpreted my comments as if they were obsolete? ...This is unfortunate because I simply share my ideas and vision in the most friendly/honest way that I am capable of.
Actually I apologize for that. I somehow missed that was you that posted an extensive list on the first page, and actually replied to your comments from the second page. I actually amazoned some titles from your list. Again my apologies, don't know how I missed that as it changes the rest of the conversation. Maybe to much food and a slow brain for me yesterday, so I'm sorry about that.
old corps likes this.
sleekgreek is offline  
post #46 of 212 Old 11-28-2014, 05:10 PM
 
NorthSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Star of the Northern Hemisphere
Posts: 16,643
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3562
Thank you. I am very happy to hear your acknowledgement. And I understand too. And all is very cool now.
NorthSky is offline  
post #47 of 212 Old 11-28-2014, 05:19 PM
 
NorthSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Star of the Northern Hemisphere
Posts: 16,643
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3562
One thing that no one mentioned yet: We can change the "depth" of the 3D movies we watch.
On most 3D HDTVs (3D front projectors, and 3D Blu-ray players) we can expand the 3D "Depth" (from 1 to 10; 5 being the default setting).

And yes, it would also expands the 3D "pop out" effects depth.
Yodabutt likes this.
NorthSky is offline  
post #48 of 212 Old 11-28-2014, 07:27 PM
Senior Member
 
WheelHoss1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Between the constant rain outside and the HUD displays inside, Pacific Rim deserves a mention.

Samsung UN60HU8550
Samsung LN46A650
WheelHoss1 is offline  
post #49 of 212 Old 11-28-2014, 07:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
NODES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,904
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Grand Canyon 3D
NODES is offline  
post #50 of 212 Old 11-28-2014, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Chere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,311
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxrh View Post
I have 111 3D Blu rays, but my popout demo now consists of Youtube downloads of those promotional clips created by TV manufacturers (especially LG) originally devised to sell 3D sets. In the good old days, you could go to Best Buy and see a cool "in your face" 3D clip, come back a few weeks later, and see a different one. Now I have dozens of them available for home viewing. I was amazed by the quality of many of these videos, especially the ones that use "full" side-by-side 1080P. (What the heck is "full" side-by-side format anyway? I'm familiar with "half" SBS but "full" SBS is new to me.) A word of warning: I have an OPPO BDP-103D player that had no problem with a playlist of these downloaded clips, but other 3D Blu ray players might not be able to make sense of "full" SBS. Another word of warning: Watching these clips on your home theater system may well ruin you for the few-and-far-between popout scenes in most 3D movies.



Interesting. Can you share those youtube links? The ones with pop outs of course. I have the Oppo 103D as well and can just stream them through the youtube app to check them out.
Chere is offline  
post #51 of 212 Old 11-28-2014, 11:12 PM
Senior Member
 
fxrh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post
Interesting. Can you share those youtube links? The ones with pop outs of course. I have the Oppo 103D as well and can just stream them through the youtube app to check them out.
The file names of the files I downloaded may differ, sometimes significantly, from the video titles as shown on Youtube. For that reason, I suggest that you do as I did, namely, enter a search argument of "3d 1080p full sbs demo" on the Youtube web site and then have fun picking and choosing from a smorgasbord of videos.

After the initial list appears, you can use Filters to shorten it (somewhat) by selecting HD and 3D. I also recommend sorting by view count.

There are also some Youtube posters (3d 'n' Play for one) who have assembled playlists of the best popout material.

The one that gets the biggest reaction from viewers is the Sony Snake Demo. The Samsung Time Magician video is another great one. Pretty much everything that LG came up with to promote their sets is worth viewing. In truth, there are so many spectacular ones that you'll have no problem coming up with cool demo material. The hard part will be to decide what to leave out!

I downloaded about 100 minutes' worth of 3D video and could easily have tripled that amount. I tried selecting clips no longer than about 4-5 minutes so that if my audience got bored by one clip there would soon be a different one. (The exception: a handful of the LG videos run around 10-15 minutes, but they contain many clips pulled from different individual demos.)

The one catch is that I didn't like constantly having to turn on side-by-side mode from one clip to the next, so I chose to limit myself to clips that had the "display in 3D" tag associated with them when they were originally uploaded. That tag is "yt3d enable=true"; you can save yourself trial and error by adding this tag to your initial Youtube search argument. However, there are many videos that were uploaded with the 3D tag but do not mention the tag in their title. And at some point (don't know when) this 3D tag was no longer required -- Youtube could figure out automatically that an uploaded video was 3D.

When you begin 3D playback of your videos, you must identify your first video as side-by-side format (on the OPPO, not the display device). The subsequent videos will "remember" to continue displaying in 3D, but only if they were uploaded with the 3D tag. There are many clips that don't have the tag. You can play them in 3D, but you'll have to tell the OPPO to display each one in 3D at the beginning. In other words, if a clip lacks a tag, it knocks you out of 3D mode. I got tired of telling the OPPO again and again to display in 3D those clips that lacked the 3D tag, and I soon limited myself only to clips that had the tag. (I'd say 75% of Youtube 3D videos have the tag.)

The above sounds worse than it really is (remember, you can always force 3D display of a side-by-side video that lacks a tag), and there's a goldmine of pop-out awaiting you if you build up your 3D clip collection gradually. I enjoyed taking the time to pick and choose the most effective clips. (To be honest, for about two weeks I was addicted to finding the best ones.) I play them on a flash drive and will occasionally rearrange them (depending upon audience reactions). Doing so simply requires changing a numeric prefix in the file name(s) to get the order I want.

A good friend whose reaction to 3D movies had always been "meh" was utterly blown away by these clips -- very gratifying!

PS:

I never had any success playing these 3D clips via the Youtube streaming app on the OPPO because you have to set the 3D display to "SBS" and "full" using the Options menus within Settings (gear icon), and that icon doesn't show up on the app. The default setting, unfortunately, is anaglyph (ugh!). However, I might have overlooked something in the app.

Also, my download manager only tells me if a clip has the 3D tag when it completes a download, so I wound up downloading and then discarding a lot of videos that were missing the tag. Again, this sounds like work, and it was a bit time-consuming, but the way to go is to build up your clip collection gradually, making sure that each clip displays in 3D as you go from one clip to the next. Playback via USB flash drive is ideal for this adding and testing of clips.

To test a "new" clip for 3D display carryover, start with the immediately previous clip (even if it has a 3D tag, you tell the OPPO to display it SBS because you are starting with it). When that clip completes and the "new" clip starts, it will display in 3D if it has the tag; if not, it will display the side-by-side images in 2D.

My point is that if you add a file to your list you don't have to play the list from the beginning in order to find out if the OPPO recognizes the 3D tag of the new video (continuing to provide input to the display device in 3D without reverting back to 2D). If you build the chain of 3D clips in this way, eventually you'll have a demo that you can set to display in 3D once (at the beginning of your first clip) that will continue to play each additional clip in 3D. So you can put down that remote and enjoy the show with everybody else!

I only have one clip that lacks a 3D tag, so guess what? It is, and will remain, the first clip of my demo! It's called "Sony 3D SBS Demo 2013" and consists of a short scene from the film FLY ME TO THE MOON. It's so effective that I just had to have it on the demo, but if it were anywhere other than the very beginning, it would knock the display out of 3D mode. Since whatever I start off with has to be identified as a 3D SBS video, having this clip at the beginning is no more problematic than if it did have a 3D tag.
Chere likes this.

Last edited by fxrh; 11-29-2014 at 02:22 AM.
fxrh is offline  
post #52 of 212 Old 11-29-2014, 01:01 AM
 
NorthSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Star of the Northern Hemisphere
Posts: 16,643
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post
I know people keep mentioning Final Destination 5 but I can't for the life of me remember it having any pop out scenes
Just re-watch it. ...But FD4 has more; I agree. ...Those flicks are over the edge.
NorthSky is offline  
post #53 of 212 Old 11-29-2014, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Chere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,311
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxrh View Post

PS:

I never had any success playing these 3D clips via the Youtube streaming app on the OPPO because you have to set the 3D display to "SBS" and "full" using the Options menus within Settings (gear icon), and that icon doesn't show up on the app. The default setting, unfortunately, is anaglyph (ugh!). However, I might have overlooked something in the app..



So it sounds like I'll probably have to download them instead of just streaming them through the 103D's app. I'll also have to tweak with my Panasonic VT60's display to see if I have the "SBS"and "Full" options in there as well.
Chere is offline  
post #54 of 212 Old 11-29-2014, 10:41 AM
Senior Member
 
fxrh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post
So it sounds like I'll probably have to download them instead of just streaming them through the 103D's app. I'll also have to tweak with my Panasonic VT60's display to see if I have the "SBS"and "Full" options in there as well.
I don't think you'll need to do anything to your VT60 because it's the OPPO that will be handling the SBS Full option and sending the 3D result to your display in the standard frame sequential format. That's why I said to use the OPPO "side by side" 3D option rather than the one on your display.

Since my main PC doesn't handle 3D, I just downloaded a bunch of videos sight unseen (3D-wise), transferred them to a flash drive, and then watched them using the OPPO. In a few cases, such as the longer videos, I would watch the anaglyph version on my PC to get a feel for how the video would look in terms of popouts. After a certain point, I didn't even bother to check out the LG promo videos (and there are a lot of them). I knew they'd all be good.

I realize that the process is a bit tricky, especially at first, but you'll soon develop a rhythm and it will be fun. And I assure you that the results are worth it!
Chere likes this.
fxrh is offline  
post #55 of 212 Old 11-29-2014, 03:22 PM
 
NorthSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Star of the Northern Hemisphere
Posts: 16,643
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3562
Your avatar ^ ... is it possible to have a bigger picture?
NorthSky is offline  
post #56 of 212 Old 11-29-2014, 03:48 PM
Senior Member
 
fxrh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Your avatar ^ ... is it possible to have a bigger picture?
Here you go. The ray is photoshopped (of course) but my friend Gort is not. I got him from master robot builder Fred Barton more than a decade ago. (The mirror is the real thing too!)


Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gort-5.JPG
Views:	1046
Size:	203.7 KB
ID:	392322  
fxrh is offline  
post #57 of 212 Old 11-30-2014, 06:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
oleus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 3,644
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Just re-watch it. ...But FD4 has more; I agree. ...Those flicks are over the edge.
recently re-watched both and was surprised how much better FD4 looked in almost every regard. FD5 looks like a bad conversion, while FD4 is one of the better overall 3d discs i've seen, especially for a 2.35:1 aspect ratio 3d film (i usually prefer 1.85:1 for 3d)
oleus is offline  
post #58 of 212 Old 11-30-2014, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Chere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,311
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleus View Post
recently re-watched both and was surprised how much better FD4 looked in almost every regard. FD5 looks like a bad conversion, while FD4 is one of the better overall 3d discs i've seen, especially for a 2.35:1 aspect ratio 3d film (i usually prefer 1.85:1 for 3d)

Did you see any pop outs in FD-5 though? I didn't think it had any
Chere is offline  
post #59 of 212 Old 11-30-2014, 10:03 AM
Senior Member
 
fxrh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I did some experimenting and found a simple way to download Youtube 3D videos without the need for download manager software. I wish I had discovered this process earlier since it is easier than the one I originally used to create my playlist of 3D popout videos.

If you have Firefox, you can use its download feature:

1) Open two tabs. Enter youtube.com as the URL in one tab and keepvid.com as the URL in the other tab.

2) In the youtube.com tab, enter "3d sbs full 1080p demo" in the search window to get a list of 3d videos (as I described in my AVS Forum post).

3) Right click on the title of any video you think you might like and on the resulting popup menu select "Copy Link Location" -- or, if you prefer, just click on the video, watch it if you care to, and do a copy of the URL (via right-click on the URL and then a left click on Copy, or via highlighting the URL and doing Cntl+C to copy it).

4) Now go to the keepvid.com tab and paste the link to the video in the topmost field via Cntl+V or right-click-Paste. The URL of the Youtube video should now appear in the field.

5) Click on the Download button on the right. This will create a list of all the different versions of the Youtube video in an easy-to-read format.

6) Look at "Download MP4" entries in the list that have [3D] in the description.

7) If none of the entries in the list has [3D] in the description, then the Youtube video was incorrectly uploaded and does not have a 3D tag (as described in my AVS Forum post).

8) If there are multiple 3d entries (which is likely), you want to download the entry with the highest resolution listed (1080P or, possibly, 720P).

9) Click on the video you want to download and select "Save File" from the resulting popup.

10) Click on the downloads icon in the upper right (it probably shows the time remaining to complete) to see the download progress. When complete, look at the file (or the folder it was downloaded to) and you are now ready to copy it to a flash drive or DVD-R/RW for playback via your 3D Blu ray player. Of course, the file will show two images side-by-side until you play it back using your 3D Blu ray player or your 3D display (if you connect the flash drive directly to the display device).

I can't guarantee that the files will play back successfully on anything other than OPPO 3D players -- but it's worth a try!
termite and Chere like this.

Last edited by fxrh; 11-30-2014 at 10:08 AM.
fxrh is offline  
post #60 of 212 Old 11-30-2014, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
oleus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 3,644
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post
Did you see any pop outs in FD-5 though? I didn't think it had any
I saw Parts that looked like it was supposed to have popout but it never looked like they pulled it off like they did with fd4.
oleus is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply 3D Content

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off