Seventh Son 3D Blu-ray - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #31 of 48 Old 06-09-2015, 07:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 47
It's a post-conversion 3D, do you really care? I personally don't buy post-converted movies, they never look right to me even the best of them like Alice in Wonderland or Pacific Rim. Once they learn how to avoid alien-eggshaped heads with haircuts floating in the air, I'll give them another try... but until then, I'm picking 2D over 3D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 48 Old 06-10-2015, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuieve View Post
It's a post-conversion 3D, do you really care? I personally don't buy post-converted movies, they never look right to me even the best of them like Alice in Wonderland or Pacific Rim. Once they learn how to avoid alien-eggshaped heads with haircuts floating in the air, I'll give them another try... but until then, I'm picking 2D over 3D.
In answering your question: Yes, I really care. Checking if you experienced Seventh Son 3D on Blu-ray 3D? Or read the heads-up I posted in the note to Universal Pictures?
Quote:
The Seventh Son 3D" conversion, by Prime Focus, is the most impressive and intense 3D-conversion from a region-A Blu-ray 3D media disc I've experienced to date.
Rudy1, marcuslaw and EVERRET like this.

BD 3D, BD, HD DVD, DVD collection
post #33 of 48 Old 09-23-2015, 12:09 PM
Rabid 3-D Aficionado

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Liked: 633
I just bought Seventh Son (3D) from amazon.de for EUR 16,66 ($19.38 USD with shipping). FYI. It might be Region B locked and PAL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 48 Old 09-23-2015, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
Used the Contact Support link listed under "Support" at the bottom of the Universal Pictures Home Entertainment site.
When I used that, I got a message stating that I should forward to this e-mail addy:

https://mail.ddsnsbu.com/owa/Univers...nmediamgmt.com

But seeing Vision Media Mgmt makes me think it's for any digital copies and not BD.
post #35 of 48 Old 09-23-2015, 09:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcuslaw View Post
I just bought Seventh Son (3D) from amazon.de for EUR 16,66 ($19.38 USD with shipping). FYI. It might be Region B locked and PAL.
Been meaning to order this for awhile also so I ordered off Amazon.de as well, even though I couldn't find the deal you got. Cheapest I saw it new was around 22 EUR. Used copies for less. Did you find it at that price new? I probably should have asked for a link before ordering. Ah well, still got it for less than I saw elsewhere and Region B isn't an issue for me so it's all good.

Looking forward to seeing it for the visuals/3D - poor reviews don't scare me off like they might have at one time. It's not that my standards are low. I dig the occassional high-brow artsy-fartsy avante-garde film now and then, foreign language included. I also enjoy the occasional B-Flick (C-Flick?) lol. Long live Bubba Ho-Tep hehe.
post #36 of 48 Old 09-24-2015, 03:23 AM
Rabid 3-D Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagenstein View Post
Been meaning to order this for awhile also so I ordered off Amazon.de as well, even though I couldn't find the deal you got. Cheapest I saw it new was around 22 EUR. Used copies for less. Did you find it at that price new? I probably should have asked for a link before ordering.
What's odd is that I don't think it was listed for 13.42 Euros at the time I first viewed it on amazon.de. It was more like 19 which I was okay with paying. I also didn't go into the marketplace (I think most do not ship abroad). It was only when I checked out that the price showed "13.42" Euros. See attached. I do see that the seller is listed as "Amazon EU S.a.r.L" which I'm not sure about. I got to the amazon.de listing after clicking the Buy Now link from the blu-ray.com product page which took me to amazon. but
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	959474  

Last edited by marcuslaw; 09-24-2015 at 03:40 AM.
post #37 of 48 Old 09-24-2015, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 175
The price often includes tax which is removed when you click the estimate shipping and tax from your cart or you proceed to checkout. Tax is removed for out of country orders.
marcuslaw and EVERRET like this.
post #38 of 48 Old 09-24-2015, 07:53 PM
Rabid 3-D Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by dew42 View Post
The price often includes tax which is removed when you click the estimate shipping and tax from your cart or you proceed to checkout. Tax is removed for out of country orders.
Fingers gesturing in the form of a gun pointed at my temple. Thank you. I should have known.
post #39 of 48 Old 09-30-2015, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Can either of you report back as to the specific region on 3D version ordered from Amazon.de? Oh, and here's a link that provides access to the site but in English: http://www.amazon.de/gp/switch-langu...language=en_GB
post #40 of 48 Old 09-30-2015, 02:04 PM
Rabid 3-D Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJW in Hawaii View Post
Can either of you report back as to the specific region on 3D version ordered from Amazon.de? Oh, and here's a link that provides access to the site but in English: http://www.amazon.de/gp/switch-langu...language=en_GB
Yes, as soon as I receive it. The confirmation e-mail indicates "Expected Delivery: Tuesday, October 20, 2015" but based on prior experiences, I expect it within the next 7-10 days or so.
post #41 of 48 Old 09-30-2015, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Amazon.fr is currently cheaper and is region free although I'm not seeing Marcuslaw's deal at either site.
post #42 of 48 Old 10-07-2015, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJW in Hawaii View Post
My copy arrived today from Amazon.de.

To my surprise both the 2D and 3D copies are region-free. I have both an all-regions Blu Ray player and a standard one; they play in both.

They're also 24hz (as opposed to 25hz/PAL), in case there was any concern regarding that (a disc can be region free but still PAL).

I've previewed by skimming the chapters and I am *really* impressed with this 3D conversion! Tremendous depth and already can tell there will be some negative-parallax scenes. A couple of impressive things I noticed... There are scenes with lots of detailed foliage, not unlike what was in Jurassic Park, but less tropical and more... woodsy/Black Foresty. The 3D conversion of the dense foilage is extremely well done. Also, scenes with rain and smoke/fog/mist, which tend to challenge the conversion process, seem to have been converted quite well, particularly the rain. I'm thinking the conversion team must have had access to the raw composite plates to be able to separate everything out as well as they did.

It's not completely flawless though. I noticed some "weirdness" here and there, such as in an opening shot looking up from the bottom of a well or pit-like structure. There seems to be some hyper-stereo stuff going on in some of the wider shots, but not so much as to bother me, and it didn't seem to miniaturize things to my eyes.

Not so much 3D related but black levels and sharpness seem a little inconsistent in my brief preview, with some scenes seeming to be lacking ever so slightly in one of those areas or the other, but again, nothing real egregious. I suspect this is in part due to the hazy/foggy nature of some of the scenes in question.

Overall this seems like a well-above-average conversion and 3D experience, and I'm glad to have it in my collection. The movie seemed to have a gotten a really bad rap, and I haven't watched enough of it to comment on the story/acting yet, but so far it looks right up my alley.

Universal Really dropped the ball by not releasing the 3D Blu Ray of this in North America. Even if the movie winds up being less than stellar, a lot of folks (like me) might have purchased the 3D copy based on that and audio-visuals alone, allowing them to recoup more of their investment. I'll give it a full view this weekend if possible and post my impressions of the film itself afterwards.
marcuslaw and EVERRET like this.

Last edited by Hagenstein; 10-07-2015 at 06:21 PM.
post #43 of 48 Old 10-07-2015, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
My copy arrived today from Amazon.de.

To my surprise both the 2D and 3D copies are region-free. I have both an all-regions Blu Ray player and a standard one; they play in both.

They're also 24hz (as opposed to 25hz/PAL), in case there was any concern regarding that (a disc can be region free but still PAL).

I've previewed by skimming the chapters and I am *really* impressed with this 3D conversion! Tremendous depth and already can tell there will be some negative-parallax scenes. A couple of impressive things I noticed... There are scenes with lots of detailed foliage, not unlike what was in Jurassic Park, but less tropical and more... woodsy/Black Foresty. The 3D conversion of the dense foilage is extremely well done. Also, scenes with rain and smoke/fog/mist, which tend to challenge the conversion process, seem to have been converted quite well, particularly the rain. I'm thinking the conversion team must have had access to the raw composite plates to be able to separate everything out as well as they did.

It's not completely flawless though. I noticed some "weirdness" here and there, such as in an opening shot looking up from the bottom of a well or pit-like structure. There seems to be some hyper-stereo stuff going on in some of the wider shots, but not so much as to bother me, and it didn't seem to miniaturize things to my eyes.

Not so much 3D related but black levels and sharpness seem a little inconsistent in my brief preview, with some scenes seeming to be lacking ever so slightly in one of those areas or the other, but again, nothing real egregious. I suspect this is in part due to the hazy/foggy nature of some of the scenes in question.

Overall this seems like a well-above-average conversion and 3D experience, and I'm glad to have it in my collection. The movie seemed to have a gotten a really bad rap, and I haven't watched enough of it to comment on the story/acting yet, but so far it looks right up my alley.

Universal Really dropped the ball by not releasing the 3D Blu Ray of this in North America. Even if the movie winds up being less than stellar, a lot of folks (like me) might have purchased the 3D copy based on that and audio-visuals alone, allowing them to recoup more of their investment. I'll give it a full view this weekend if possible and post my impressions of the film itself afterwards.
Very cool, thanks. The studios that are deciding NOT to release 3D titles in North America are likely do so for financial reasons. Like you, I prefer 3D when it's available. I just find the experience enjoyable. However, it appears that the vast majority of North Americans are not like us, so the market is too small. This plus complicated licensing deals prevent domestic distributors from selling versions owned by foreign distributors.

All we can do is vote with our wallets, I guess.
post #44 of 48 Old 10-23-2015, 06:58 PM

Quote:
I'll give it a full view this weekend if possible and post my impressions of the film itself afterwards.
So I finally found time to watch this. I agree that there have been better and more creative films in this genre but at no point did I find it so terrible that I wanted to stop watching or see how the story would end. Even with Jeff Bridges' "odd" accent, which I just accepted as the accent of some strange fictional land. It probably would have came across as more acceptable if he'd been depicted frequently swigging from a flagon of mead.

All in all though, I found it a more than passable entry in the fantasy action genre, even if it's not a most memorable one, and it was worth it (to me) to import. Your tastes and mileage may vary. My prior comments regarding the quality of the 3D and other AV characteristics remain unchanged.
post #45 of 48 Old 09-23-2019, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Ordered this & any feedback?

Seventh son 3D - need to wait for few weeks
Any one, any feedback please? How is the 3D here?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	seventhson.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	2619258  
post #46 of 48 Old 09-23-2019, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Typical post conversion. Nothing special.
post #47 of 48 Old 09-23-2019, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Liked: 585
As I remember, it was okay.
post #48 of 48 Old 09-23-2019, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I thought the 3d was decent. but the movie was cookie cutter and pretty corny. My girlfriend liked it a lot though so ymmv

BenQ HT3050 (Previously BenQ W1070, Epson 8350, Mits HD1000u)
Elite 100" Spectrum Electric 16:9 Screen
Pioneer VSX-1131
SVS SBS-01/PB12-NSD 5.1.2 system
HTPC/Pimax5k+/XboxOneX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Content

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page