Is 3D being phased out, in favor of 4K?! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
  • 1 Post By AndreHD
  • 2 Post By OlderNDirt
  • 1 Post By inspector
  • 1 Post By obveron
  • 1 Post By brazen1
  • 1 Post By krauley

post #1 of 26 Old 07-05-2017, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Is 3D being phased out, in favor of 4K?!

I love 3D, particularly for sci-fi, fantasy, and superhero flicks. But I began to notice in recent months, that the nearby Walmart doesn't get the 3D blu rays anymore...in their place is 4K.

FYE will get one or two 3D versions of the films, and if you didn't pre order it, and they "sold out, youred out of luck, as far as another shipment

I also notice that the 3D app that was on the Smarthub on my Samsung 55" disappeared. 3D is not an option on my FIOS On Demand (it was there, though her limited, on Comcast). And on and on ?.

I don't want the standard 2D versions of films like Rogue One, Great Wall, and Kong: Skull Island, so I have to travel further to the Best Buy, or order online.

So this shutout on 3D, which appears to be taking place, is causing quite the inconvenience.

Retailers clearly have no interest in selling 3D, and want to shove 4K into your face. I like 3D, but the writing appears to be on the wall...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 07-05-2017, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1315 Post(s)
Liked: 583
I've noticed that this year all my local stores stopped selling new release 3D movies. Best Buy still had some older ones in stock but they removed the 3D section and put them in with the 2D. It's no wonder they still had them because they were trying to sell them for full retail still, like Thor for 38.00. I mean it's ridiculous how much they charge extra for a format that not everyone likes. So I don't even bother to go to the stores for new releases any more, except one used place that does have some Blu ray 3D tittles.

If you want 3D you really have to look to ordering online like Amazon. I think it will depend on what happens in theaters as far as content. Manufacturers have already dropped 3D this year from flat panels, there's still some projectors with 3D being released and a few other viewing devices with 3D. So yes, retailers are pushing 4K now because that's the new thing. 3D can be 4K too, but it's a bit too early for it. Need the dust to settle on 4K first and then bring back 3D. The other improvement is glasses-free 3D which James Cameron wants for the next Avatar movie. Might happen, don't know. Won't be released till 2020 so maybe a few theaters may get it in time.

This line intentionally left blank.
post #3 of 26 Old 07-05-2017, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
I've noticed that this year all my local stores stopped selling new release 3D movies. ....

If you want 3D you really have to look to ordering online like Amazon.
Or BestBuy.com. Most things seem to need to be pre-ordered.
Target.com seems to have stopped offering new 3D movies.

Also, the number of 3D movies being released in the US seems to be falling as well in favor of 4K. I have had to get overseas releases to get 3D. My "Great Wall 3D" was from the UK and my "Beauty and the Beast 3D" was originally from India.

At least, I can still get them.

Nothing in this posting/signature really means anything in the long run.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 07-06-2017, 07:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhvsfan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
I've noticed that this year all my local stores stopped selling new release 3D movies. ....

If you want 3D you really have to look to ordering online like Amazon.
Or BestBuy.com. Most things seem to need to be pre-ordered.
Target.com seems to have stopped offering new 3D movies.

Also, the number of 3D movies being released in the US seems to be falling as well in favor of 4K. I have had to get overseas releases to get 3D. My "Great Wall 3D" was from the UK and my "Beauty and the Beast 3D" was originally from India.

At least, I can still get them.
Target still gets some new 3d titles. For example, they have the new Lego Batman both in-store and on-line.
post #5 of 26 Old 07-07-2017, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Just last night I re-watched the newest Jurassic Park movie. I started with 2d and then about 10 minutes in I switched over to the the 3d version of it. Soooo much better!! Certain movies are perfect for 3d and others are not that great. I am going to miss 3d.
post #6 of 26 Old 10-10-2017, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I get 'em online now...nobody sells them in-store anymore.

It's funny, because the stores want to force 4K on the market, but, with a 3D TV, it's a DOWNGRADE !

No 3D, just a clearer picture? I can't get what I see in the theater at home.

Is rather keep my 3D 55" and skip this generation!
EVERRET likes this.
post #7 of 26 Old 11-03-2017, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Had the same mindset been applied many years ago, color tv would have been abandoned! That transition took years! Not to mention how long it took HD to become prevalent and widely accepted.

Now I find myself in an inescapable quandary. I have a Sammy 55" and 4K 48", both 3D with 3D pass-through A/V receivers and 3D B/R players plus 1 in reserve. Although I am quite satisfied with the 4K up-convert picture and have little/no interest in 4K source video, I recently upgraded one 3D B/R player with a Sammy UBD-K8500 that does 4K and 3D before they are no longer available. Now it has dawned on me that should either or both of my 3D TV's go out, I will be SOL for 3D and all the money I have invested to date will be for naught! I have no idea what the additional cost is to provide a TV with the already tried and true 3D technology, but for an entire industry to abandon a good portion of their customers is inexcusable IMHO. As I see it, the industry itself severely hindered the growth of 3D expansion by greedily pricing its 3D content!
King Vidiot and RxpSGR like this.
post #8 of 26 Old 11-04-2017, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlderNDirt View Post
Had the same mindset been applied many years ago, color tv would have been abandoned! That transition took years! Not to mention how long it took HD to become prevalent and widely accepted.

Now I find myself in an inescapable quandary. I have a Sammy 55" and 4K 48", both 3D with 3D pass-through A/V receivers and 3D B/R players plus 1 in reserve. Although I am quite satisfied with the 4K up-convert picture and have little/no interest in 4K source video, I recently upgraded one 3D B/R player with a Sammy UBD-K8500 that does 4K and 3D before they are no longer available. Now it has dawned on me that should either or both of my 3D TV's go out, I will be SOL for 3D and all the money I have invested to date will be for naught! I have no idea what the additional cost is to provide a TV with the already tried and true 3D technology, but for an entire industry to abandon a good portion of their customers is inexcusable IMHO. As I see it, the industry itself severely hindered the growth of 3D expansion by greedily pricing its 3D content!
Im in a simular situation in that if my 3d tele goes i stuck searching for a used one or buying a more expensive tv to replace it. Or lose out on using my 3d bluray collection. the tvs on the market now are all using active tech and i dont want that option. im hoping lg brings back a few passive sets for 2018. another thing that sucks is that i missed out on the 4k/3d sets and so if i want to upgrade to 4k now i have to abandon my 3d. not happy.
post #9 of 26 Old 11-04-2017, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by krauley View Post
Im in a simular situation in that if my 3d tele goes i stuck searching for a used one or buying a more expensive tv to replace it. Or lose out on using my 3d bluray collection. the tvs on the market now are all using active tech and i dont want that option. im hoping lg brings back a few passive sets for 2018. another thing that sucks is that i missed out on the 4k/3d sets and so if i want to upgrade to 4k now i have to abandon my 3d. not happy.
I have been told that Samsung is not including 3D in any of their home theater products anymore. Not really sure about others, but with everything being 4K, I'm not expecting much at all if anything with 3D.

I debated with myself if I should grab a 4K/3d all in one B/R or just have one of each, the combined won out.
post #10 of 26 Old 11-04-2017, 09:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlderNDirt View Post

I'm sending in my Sammy K8500 on Monday to 220-Electronics to convert it to a Region Free Player. To many 3Ders that you can't buy in the US, say, THE MUMMY, TERMINATOR 2 and the new THOR. They might or might not be Region Free.
OlderNDirt likes this.

...finally retired and spending time in my dedicated HT!!!

SPARKSPLEX HT - Epson 6040 3D/4K UB Projector; 110" 16x9 Dalite HD Progressive Screen; Sammy 3D/4K K8500 (r-free); Panny ub420; 7.2.4. Def Tech speakers, Earthquake P12v2 Subs; Auto Source 100vs Amp; Denon 4300H; MX990 Remote; 5 Bello chairs; Coaire Mini-split.
post #11 of 26 Old 11-06-2017, 06:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1546 Post(s)
Liked: 1546
Yeah - there is no doubt that they want 4K to be the next "thing". Sure, its cool and all and some titles do look great in UHD. But, the 3D on my OLED is amazing and it really sucks that it wont be long before the 3D options are gone. Ive been buying whatever I can in 3D when its worthwhile to do so. I dont feel that every movie available in 3D is worth buying but I get what I can. Documentaries are a different story. They are ALL better in 3D!

Oh well. Nothing we can do. Its the beggining of the end as they say. The fat lady is clearing her throat. 3D is about dead here in the US.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
Panny UBD-420, LG UBK-90
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #12 of 26 Old 11-06-2017, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 89
It's such a shame that the UHD Bluray spec doesn't include 3d.
Actionable Mango likes this.
post #13 of 26 Old 11-06-2017, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1139 Post(s)
Liked: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreHD View Post
I love 3D, particularly for sci-fi, fantasy, and superhero flicks. But I began to notice in recent months, that the nearby Walmart doesn't get the 3D blu rays anymore...in their place is 4K.

FYE will get one or two 3D versions of the films, and if you didn't pre order it, and they "sold out, youred out of luck, as far as another shipment

I also notice that the 3D app that was on the Smarthub on my Samsung 55" disappeared. 3D is not an option on my FIOS On Demand (it was there, though her limited, on Comcast). And on and on ?.

I don't want the standard 2D versions of films like Rogue One, Great Wall, and Kong: Skull Island, so I have to travel further to the Best Buy, or order online.

So this shutout on 3D, which appears to be taking place, is causing quite the inconvenience.

Retailers clearly have no interest in selling 3D, and want to shove 4K into your face. I like 3D, but the writing appears to be on the wall...
Well unfortunately 3d viewing never took off in the home market. Part of the reason I suspect has to do with the need for active glasses, in the beginning. That and frankly the usually small sweet spot for viewing 3d content. It was not something I ever considered for home use although I do watch 3d in the theater. Most of the time, to me at least, the 3d is bland at best, the exception being fully CG movies like Pixar movies and things like Avatar, where doing 3d is very simple as opposed to the mostly post production 3d effects added to movies. Filming in true 3d is expensive since at least in the filming part you need 2 cameras to do true 3d. My mom has a 3d tv and has never once used it.
post #14 of 26 Old 11-06-2017, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by liffie420 View Post
Well unfortunately 3d viewing never took off in the home market. Part of the reason I suspect has to do with the need for active glasses, in the beginning. That and frankly the usually small sweet spot for viewing 3d content. It was not something I ever considered for home use although I do watch 3d in the theater. Most of the time, to me at least, the 3d is bland at best, the exception being fully CG movies like Pixar movies and things like Avatar, where doing 3d is very simple as opposed to the mostly post production 3d effects added to movies. Filming in true 3d is expensive since at least in the filming part you need 2 cameras to do true 3d. My mom has a 3d tv and has never once used it.

3D is still very much alive and well at my home. Same with countless other enthusiasts. Active was and still is highest resolution and I continue to embrace it. No idea what the 'sweet spot' rumor is? My family and guests sit from one side of the room to other with no deformities. I've only read feedback that the sweet spot problem pertains to one technology that simply got it wrong. To include that as a general problem with 3D at home is ridiculous as are the other countless hate it excuses. There have been many, many very good 3D releases that in 2D just don't cut the mustard. I enjoy the extra realism it adds and prefer that extra realism over 2D including HDR when given the choice. We watched 'The Walk' again over the weekend. Amazing how dizzy you get sitting on your couch! Often noticed others putting their hands up and turning their head out of fear. We laughed reminding each other we are just sitting on a couch. My mom informs me often when the next 3D release is available; her way of hinting to me an invite, God bless her. I understand some folks are just different though.
Hellohowareyou likes this.

HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players
W10 1909 / MPC-BE\HC / PotPlayer / PowerDVD 19 / DVDFab Player 3&5 / KODI 19 videoplayer
GTX960 4GB / RGB Full 4:4:4 / 8bit Desktop mode =60Hz / 10/12bit Video mode = Matched Refresh rates IE 23,24,25,60Hz
Samsung 82" Q90R / Denon S720W
post #15 of 26 Old 11-13-2017, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Something that I think has really affected 3D popularity is the fact that BluRay rental services like Netflix and RedBox do not carry 3D BluRay's. Not everyone wants to buy a movie for $30 just to get the 3D version. I've seen no where to rent 3D...

Oh my local library had 1 3D BluRay...

Receiver: Yamaha RX-V361 5.1 | Front: Sony SS-B3000 3-Way | Center: Yamaha NS-AP6500C | Rear: Sony SS-F150 3-Way | Sub: Denon 100W DSW-1312 | View Portal: Samsung 3D 50" UN50ES6500 | 3D BluRay Player: Sony BDP-BX57 | DirecTV H24-700
post #16 of 26 Old 11-13-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTechGuru View Post
Something that I think has really affected 3D popularity is the fact that BluRay rental services like Netflix and RedBox do not carry 3D BluRay's. Not everyone wants to buy a movie for $30 just to get the 3D version. I've seen no where to rent 3D...

Oh my local library had 1 3D BluRay...
or when you walk into a bestbuy and the regular bluray is 19 bucks and the 3d version is 34.95
TheTechGuru likes this.
post #17 of 26 Old 11-13-2017, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Amazon.com just listed ID DAY-RESURGENCE, X-MEN-APOCALYPSE and THE MARTAIN for $9.99. I just bought them and now my collection is up to 105!!!

SPARKSPLEX HT - Epson 6040 3D/4K UB Projector; 110" 16x9 Dalite HD Progressive Screen; Sammy 3D/4K K8500 (r-free); Panny ub420; 7.2.4. Def Tech speakers, Earthquake P12v2 Subs; Auto Source 100vs Amp; Denon 4300H; MX990 Remote; 5 Bello chairs; Coaire Mini-split.
post #18 of 26 Old 11-14-2017, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspector View Post
Amazon.com just listed ID DAY-RESURGENCE, X-MEN-APOCALYPSE and THE MARTAIN for $9.99. I just bought them and now my collection is up to 105!!!
link for the martian 3d bluray? i see nothing but a $37 option
post #19 of 26 Old 11-14-2017, 05:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Crazy, huh? As long as I got mine. Last month they did that to THE FIFTH ELEMENT UHD. Sold it for $9.99, and then changed back a few hours later to its original price of $19.99. Some got it and some didn't. The minute I saw it I posted it.

post #20 of 26 Old 11-14-2017, 07:28 PM

its cool and i wasnt suggesting you were fibbing lol. i couldnt find that one on amazon but i found the others you posted so i went to bestbuy.com and got the martian and 3 others for 9.99 with free shipping except for the martian which is only "instore" for me.

anyway thanks for the heads up. i picked up avatar limited edition 3d, the martian 3d, live dead repeat edge of tomorrow 3d, and god of egypt 3d steelbook.

Lg G6
Oppo 203, Ps4Pro
Emotiva, XMC-1 V3, Xpa-2, Xpa-5
PSA V1801
Airmotiv T2(front), C2(Center), T1(surrounds), E1(surround backs)
post #21 of 26 Old 11-14-2017, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any MetallicA fans? Their Though The Never 3D bluray is awesome but very hard to find...

Receiver: Yamaha RX-V361 5.1 | Front: Sony SS-B3000 3-Way | Center: Yamaha NS-AP6500C | Rear: Sony SS-F150 3-Way | Sub: Denon 100W DSW-1312 | View Portal: Samsung 3D 50" UN50ES6500 | 3D BluRay Player: Sony BDP-BX57 | DirecTV H24-700
post #22 of 26 Old 11-28-2017, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 136
so i just looked at the 3d calendar on bluray.com and there is zip zilch nada. as far as domestic releases go, it looks like we're done
post #23 of 26 Old 11-28-2017, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 69
post #24 of 26 Old 11-28-2017, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by grubadub View Post
so i just looked at the 3d calendar on bluray.com and there is zip zilch nada. as far as domestic releases go, it looks like we're done
Lego Ninjago Movie - December 19, 2017
https://www.amazon.com/Lego-Ninjago-.../dp/B0766BYSNN

Justice League - Preorder
https://www.amazon.ca/Justice-League.../dp/B077H7PX1F

Coco - Exclusive
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...m2226582.aspx?

Last edited by dew42; 11-28-2017 at 05:52 PM.
post #25 of 26 Old 11-29-2017, 07:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 38
The Ghost of 3d Christmas Future!

Does it feel to anyone like the day after Valentines Day and the candy is all on sale because the store is trying to get rid of the candy? There are some mighty cheap 3d blu rays out there right now.

I hope I am wrong but I feel like once these 3d blu rays are gone, that ain't gonna make another run of them. And unlike the store wholesaling the candy, who still have their regular candy after the sale at regular prices, the 3d distributors aren't going to have any more 3d blu rays once they sell current inventory. Has a stake been driven through the heart of 3d tv? Please tell me not.

I think I might just go get another $5.00 copy of It Came From Outer Space just to be on the safe side. And Creature from the Black Lagoon and...... oh hell, you get the idea.

ps I can hear the mental whispering now: "this can't be right; I can alway buy this or that title off ebay right?"
post #26 of 26 Old 11-29-2017, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill722 View Post
Does it feel to anyone like the day after Valentines Day and the candy is all on sale because the store is trying to get rid of the candy? There are some mighty cheap 3d blu rays out there right now.

I hope I am wrong but I feel like once these 3d blu rays are gone, that ain't gonna make another run of them. And unlike the store wholesaling the candy, who still have their regular candy after the sale at regular prices, the 3d distributors aren't going to have any more 3d blu rays once they sell current inventory. Has a stake been driven through the heart of 3d tv? Please tell me not.

I think I might just go get another $5.00 copy of It Came From Outer Space just to be on the safe side. And Creature from the Black Lagoon and...... oh hell, you get the idea.

ps I can hear the mental whispering now: "this can't be right; I can alway buy this or that title off ebay right?"
i hear ya, in the last week ive bought 6 or 8 3d titles. prices are so good now that im buying movies i havent seen just to watch em. a lil more pricey than red box but they are in 3d
and i get to keep em!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Content

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page