IMAX 3D to Dwindle in North America - Page 11 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 492Likes

post #301 of 313 Old 10-10-2017, 10:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 112
I have tickets for THREE screenings of Star Wars The Last Jedi ALL IMAX ALL 3D
In the Boston area AMC Boston and Danvers are 2D only AMC Methuen and Somerville are 3D
Jordans will have 2D for the early matinee with 3D late afternoon and evening
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 313 Old 10-11-2017, 01:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1519 Post(s)
Liked: 800
Blade Runner wasn't 3D in IMAX so I went to another theater and saw it in 3D Atmos.

I'm debating seeing it again in 2D IMAX for the 1.90:1 presentation. I'll probably pass as I wasn't really into it (I like, not love, Blade Runner Final Cut and 2049 just seemed way empty to me.)

Way to go IMAX, you lost at least my ticket sale for not presenting it in 3D. Sounds like your pushing that turd Geostorm in 3D. I'm sure you'll use those miserable sales to further justify killing 3D.

Good job!

EVERRET likes this.
post #303 of 313 Old 10-11-2017, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Odds are BR2049 wouldn't have been a stellar movie ticket seller in 3D either therefore not been a good reason to save IMAX 3D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #304 of 313 Old 11-01-2017, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 112
No 3D at all for Justice League in IMAX
post #305 of 313 Old 11-01-2017, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Personally I prefer IMAX 2D which I find more immersive. 3D glasses are too dark, uncomfortable, and the 3D effects are sporadically memorable for maybe <10% of the entire film, just not worth it.
GordonTV likes this.

Source: Thinkpad running iTunes/Oppo driver upsampled to 24/192
DAC/SACD: Oppo 105D
Amp: Pathos Aurium (home), LG V30 running Onkyo HF Player (portable)
Headphone: AKG K812, AKG N5005 IEM's, Bowers & Wilkins PX7 Wireless
post #306 of 313 Old 11-02-2017, 04:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1519 Post(s)
Liked: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy701 View Post
Personally I prefer IMAX 2D which I find more immersive. 3D glasses are too dark, uncomfortable, and the 3D effects are sporadically memorable for maybe <10% of the entire film, just not worth it.
False.
post #307 of 313 Old 11-02-2017, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
False.
Partly false. Depends on the movie.

--
Dan Shane
LG 65EF9500 & LG 65UH8500

God gave us two eyes for a reason.
post #308 of 313 Old 11-02-2017, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 26
If the picture is dark, that means the theater should FIX IT, not drop it and go back to 2D!
post #309 of 313 Old 11-02-2017, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 69
It wasn't the fault of the theater and it's screens that killed 3D at IMAX. It was the SALES they saw dwindling. PERIOD.

Why are some folks so confused about this??

http://www.slashfilm.com/imax-3d-phasing-out/

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/imax-to...ng-lower-sales

IMAX has decided it's time to cut back on its 3D IMAX viewings in favor of 2D showings. According to IMAX Entertainment CEO Greg Foster, the 2017 second-quarter earnings show a drop in business, and he believes customers' 3D preferences, or lack thereof, may be responsible for that drop.
post #310 of 313 Old 11-02-2017, 04:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1312 Post(s)
Liked: 574
And what effects sales for 3D in theaters? Quality, brightness, heavy, bulky glasses. Basically, it's the same as the decline of 3D in the 50's. The theaters weren't setup properly for 3D and 3D wasn't shown the way it was supposed to be then. Now, they fixed most of those issues but the technology has stalled and no one is updating their theaters for better 3D.

Not speaking directly about IMAX, but the only 3D near me in theater uses Xpand system and I will not see another movie in 3D with this setup. The glasses are too heavy and always dirty, so if that's not the theater's fault then I don't know what is. They could switch to RealD for one. The 3D showings around here are in one theater room clear at the end of the theater and they appear empty. Honestly, I can't blame anyone for not liking 3D around here when they use the Xpand glasses. If someone around here asked me if the 3D was worth it, I'd say because of the theater setup, just see it in 2D, your nose will appreciate it.

With IMAX, most of the 3D movies weren't filmed in IMAX anyway so really there's no point in blowing up the print. Transformers was the only one shot in IMAX 3D, other than that, just present them in regular screens. It's time for glasses-free 3D.

This line intentionally left blank.
post #311 of 313 Old 11-02-2017, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 357
I have an opinion:
IMAX goal is to reduce cost structure in order to add shareholder value. You see, they are in the hole about -25% year to date while the rest of the indexes are up about 20% during this Trump bump due in part of anticipated restructure of our tax system which is predicted to mainly benefit very large corporations and the very wealthy. In the mean time, middle class America is finding it difficult to afford such luxuries as theatre tickets for the common family of four, the gas to get there, parking expenses, and a round of lobby food, especially on a regular basis given budget restraints due to rising costs. Cuts must be made to satisfy balance sheets especially when you see the rest of the world whizzing by you. 3D and it's extra cost is the sacrificial lamb to bolster BOD and shareholder stakes at this point short term asap. (as if) More cuts and/or more perks may become necessary as middle class dollar value diminishes. Value incentives in a vying marketplace may be the next swoop for market share. I see some appearing now.

Attendance itself is nearing a 25 year low, not just 3D. Kids just don't date at the theatre with their sweetheart anymore. Most video consumption is done on a smart phone. Yes, many enjoy movie night(s) at home now just like staycations are also 'a thing'. These niches are numbered in the millions. Movie goers don't hate 3D. They are lucky they made it out at all given Moms budget they have to work with and a few extra bucks for each ticket for glasses and/or an IMAX showing might be just a bit over the top. They aren't haters like those running around the internet site to site, thread to thread, twisting knives and distorting facts for jollies or financial gain based on sites pushing this or that and shoving 3D out the way to make more room while inciting crowd mentality with raised fists . They are hard working exhausted folks looking for a distraction from reality they can enjoy. Many of us have been at it so long, it takes a bit more enhancement to blow our dresses up and 3D fills that want for many. I can't tell you the size of that little niche as you called it in other threads you envade, but judging from the even smaller niche of those that want to be involved in some small way by signing petitions and the likes just wish their voices to be heard. I'd bet there are 10 times that or more that do nothing, some lurking and others silently hoping it returns never reaching to the power of the internet to be heard at all. Streaming, HDR, Atmos, etc. are nice tech advancements but personally I don't consider them 'better' replacements for the 3D format therefor condoning it to the recycle bin to clear a wider path for the new push. When given the choice of formats for the same title I always go 3D. I've seen many titles offer up the UHD HDR version that is supposed to lure me into replacing the 3D or double dip it. I'm not going to double dip it because it isn't better, it's different and if I had both, I'd always reach for the 3D at viewing time anyway. I have the equipment to play 3D still. For UHD HDR titles only, my equipment covers that base well also. Thankfully, one major manufacturer is bringing 3D, 4k, and HDR back to the market in a couple months and I'd like to upgrade to a bigger display. I will probably buy (it) without ever considering the competition that chose to exclude 3D from their lineup at a reasonable cost ($2k). Their loss, not mine.
MLXXX likes this.

HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players
W10 1909 / MPC-BE\HC / PotPlayer / PowerDVD 19 / DVDFab Player 3&5 / KODI 19 videoplayer
GTX960 4GB / RGB Full 4:4:4 / 8bit Desktop mode =60Hz / 10/12bit Video mode = Matched Refresh rates IE 23,24,25,60Hz
Samsung 82" Q90R / Denon S720W
post #312 of 313 Old 11-03-2017, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
I have an opinion:
An opinion I happen to share. Based on my personal experience, I don't go to the movies anymore except for something super-special (BLADERUNNER 2049 made that list, and mostly because my son wanted me to take him). I can buy a 3-D title on disc for less than it costs to visit the theater only 1 mile from my house. If I throw the disc away I still come out ahead. BR 2049 was not a spectacular 3-D showcase, but I'm willing to bet that I will enjoy it more on my home setup than I did in the tunnel-shaped theater I sat in at the multiplex. (Oh, for the days when movies were presented as a special event that could last for weeks or months instead of being shoved to the cracker-box screen after 3 days of initial receipts.)

Disc producers are following the same short-shrift path that IMAX is. If they release 3-D titles at all they put lesser audio tracks and fewer extras in those packages compared to the UHD or 2-D counterpart. Why are we forced to choose whether we want a better aural or visual experience? Why can we not have both?

Brazen1 says the American family is being forced to cut corners in their budget, and IMAX and the studios are following suit. But if we are given poor choices (or NO choice), it's not our fault that the numbers aren't there on the balance sheet.

--
Dan Shane
LG 65EF9500 & LG 65UH8500

God gave us two eyes for a reason.
post #313 of 313 Old 11-03-2017, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCharlie View Post
My #1 son bought a high dollar 4k TV, and candidly, I just don't (can't!) see $4000.00 worth of difference from my $1800.00 3D HD TV.

That said, I love 3D. If the movie I want to see is available in 3D, I buy it. (I don't go to theaters for movies, the seats are uncomfortable, and I can't pause the movie when I want to get a snack, or when I go make room for more liquid refreshments! .

I told my wife that I need to buy a 65 to 84" 3D tv now before they become extinct.

So, needless to say, I am very sad to see 3D to go the way of Sony's BetaMax tape!

MC
Just because your son spent $4,000 on a TV doesn't especially mean it was a high end model, if he bought a relatively large screen even a couple of years ago it could be a low end model without HDR, like a 75" Samsung 7000 series before the inflated prices went down. If he got a $4,000 TV in the last couple of years, however, I would argue that you haven't watched the right content on it. If you want to drop money on last years model that has 3D I would suggest going with the LG E6, if you can find it.

Samsung 75Q9FN
Samsung HW-N950
Samsung UBD-M9500

Samsung 55Q80R - Bedroom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Content

Tags
imax , imax 3d

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page