46Likes

post #91 of 109 Old 07-25-2019, 05:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by impetigo View Post
Yeah, I hope my kids like 3D also because I definitely won't be sellling my collection, even if all my 3D displays die and there are no new ones to buy (because you never know if it will make a return to hardware someday).

I may have to stop collecting Marvel 3D movies at some point as there are just way too many of them, with no signs of slowing down. And I'm really not that into them. As a kid I mostly collected Uncanny X-Men and Amazing Spider-Man so I would be interested in an X-Men reboot (but not into the endless crossovers that are inevitable) or a Spider-Man movie where he's an adult and not an annoying kid. Will definitely keep collecting all Star Wars films as I'm more interested in those and have watched all the 3D blu-rays more than once (even Last Jedi!).

Yup. We've had so few 3D releases in the U.S. it's quite sad. I'm amazed that Alita actually came out here, it's the first time in a long time.
im done after the new spiderman: far from home.....i swear i am. was never into comics as a kid that i remember but that was before the revolutionary war so i may be wrong
i think this last star wars movie will also be my last and im not really a star war fan but i really love 3d movies to the point i buy ones i dont really have any interest in.

Lg G6
Oppo 203, Ps4Pro
Emotiva, XMC-1 V3, Xpa-2, Xpa-5
PSA V1801
Airmotiv T2(front), C2(Center), T1(surrounds), E1(surround backs)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 109 Old 07-25-2019, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dew42 View Post
Check out the AVS Forum 3D Review by Ralph Potts!

Alita: Battle Angel 3D Blu-ray Review
https://www.avsforum.com/alita-battl...lu-ray-review/
thanks been looking forward to this. i mostly disagree with half of his reviews and i see a lot of people that eat them up but i do check em out. im my opinion there is no way he could give this movie anything less than perfect

Lg G6
Oppo 203, Ps4Pro
PSA V1801
post #93 of 109 Old 07-25-2019, 08:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by krauley View Post
im done after the new spiderman: far from home.....i swear i am. was never into comics as a kid that i remember but that was before the revolutionary war so i may be wrong
i think this last star wars movie will also be my last and im not really a star war fan but i really love 3d movies to the point i buy ones i dont really have any interest in.
Lol! At some point I also have to stop buying movies I don't really have much interest in and probably won't watch... if 3D were alive and healthy I would probably not buy most of the titles I've gotten, like the Jumanji reboot...
krauley likes this.

VIDEO: Epson 5040UB | Sony 65X900A | Sony 55X900A | Samsung UN40H5500
MEDIA: Oppo UDP 203 | Oppo BDP 103 | Apple TV | Nintendo Switch
RECEIVER: Yamaha Aventage RX-A820
AUDIO: Monitor Audio Silver 100 (front), Monitor Audio Silver C350 (center), Monitor Audio Shadow 25 (rear), Rythmik L22 (sub)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 109 Old 07-25-2019, 09:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Lol! At some point I also have to stop buying movies I don't really have much interest in and probably won't watch... if 3D were alive and healthy I would probably not buy most of the titles I've gotten, like the Jumanji reboot...
I've held off buying a few until they are pretty cheap or on sale. Though, anything animated generally is worth buying (since it usually has more pronounced 3D, eg The Lion King apparently has excellent 3D, though other titles were excellent as well like How to Train Your Dragon 3). Some titles are questionable quality wise so really comes down to whether you're keen on the movie or wanted it as an example of the format. Though, I'm definitely getting Spider-Man: Far From Home, that looked good in 3D when I saw it in the theatres (and I generally have liked most of Marvel's releases). I am hoping to finish the Star Wars series in 3D, just a shame there was a large down step in package quality of the collector's edition 3D release of The Force Awakens to The Last Jedi (no collector's edition effectively).
post #95 of 109 Old 07-25-2019, 09:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCummins View Post
I've held off buying a few until they are pretty cheap or on sale. Though, anything animated generally is worth buying (since it usually has more pronounced 3D, eg The Lion King apparently has excellent 3D, though other titles were excellent as well like How to Train Your Dragon 3). Some titles are questionable quality wise so really comes down to whether you're keen on the movie or wanted it as an example of the format. Though, I'm definitely getting Spider-Man: Far From Home, that looked good in 3D when I saw it in the theatres (and I generally have liked most of Marvel's releases). I am hoping to finish the Star Wars series in 3D, just a shame there was a large down step in package quality of the collector's edition 3D release of The Force Awakens to The Last Jedi (no collector's edition effectively).
Totally agree with you about animation. I just love 3D animation and all the titles that I've gotten (and I have pretty much every release from a major studio) have looked awesome. With animation, the 3D looks super natural and is better at adding seemless depth that can look gimmicky in live action (although I think it's fine for live action as well), and especially since most animation is bright and colorful. With young kids it's a no brainer for me to scoop them all up. Only problem is that the kids are starting to prefer to watch movies in 2D because --- wait for it --- they don't like wearing the 3D (passive, kid sized) glasses!

I'm pretty sure now that The Rise of Skywalker will come out on 3D since all the other recent big Disney movies have been put out in 3D in many markets. I don't know when they'll stop completely, but hoping to get a few more at least (Frozen 2 please!).

AUDIO: Monitor Audio Silver 100 (front), Monitor Audio Silver C350 (center), Monitor Audio Shadow 25 (rear), Rythmik L22 (sub)

Last edited by impetigo; 07-25-2019 at 09:21 PM.
post #96 of 109 Old 07-25-2019, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Yup. We've had so few 3D releases in the U.S. it's quite sad. I'm amazed that Alita actually came out here, it's the first time in a long time.
That's probably James Cameron + Robert Rodriguez pushing for it as a means of experiencing the film as they envisaged it (3D & all) and they have enough sway to make that happen. It is pretty sad that US went off 3D, I don't think filmmakers pushed the limits of 3D visuals + 3D surround sound enough (ie making use of 3D audio for obvious audience positional cues), I guess more people will appreciate it in hindsight with the push to VR but that's really a different medium/format. I expect there'll still be some enterprising filmmakers continuing to make 3D films but be limited release or streaming only I think moving forward.
post #97 of 109 Old 07-25-2019, 09:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's probably James Cameron + Robert Rodriguez pushing for it as a means of experiencing the film as they envisaged it (3D & all) and they have enough sway to make that happen. It is pretty sad that US went off 3D, I don't think filmmakers pushed the limits of 3D visuals + 3D surround sound enough (ie making use of 3D audio for obvious audience positional cues), I guess more people will appreciate it in hindsight with the push to VR but that's really a different medium/format. I expect there'll still be some enterprising filmmakers continuing to make 3D films but be limited release or streaming only I think moving forward.
If anyone can bring 3D back, it's James Cameron! I wouldn't be surprised at all if the new Avatar trilogy brings back 3D to the U.S. just because of his clout in the industry, although now that 21st Century Fox is owned by Disney all bets are off.

post #98 of 109 Old 07-25-2019, 09:42 PM

Quote:
i think one of the problems and why i do buy some early now is because as 3d is fading i fear some of these movies wont be cheap because they wont be around later. so i buy em but lots have been in the 10 to 15 dollar range for me on amazon uk so the pocket doesnt hurt as much as the 30 bucks ive paid for in the past from bestbuy and walmart before i discovered the oversea deals.

Lg G6
Oppo 203, Ps4Pro
PSA V1801

Last edited by krauley; 07-25-2019 at 09:52 PM.
post #99 of 109 Old 07-25-2019, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Quote:
If anyone can bring 3D back, it's James Cameron! I wouldn't be surprised at all if the new Avatar trilogy brings back 3D to the U.S. just because of his clout in the industry, although now that 21st Century Fox is owned by Disney all bets are off.
in all honesty, if anyone says that the 4k version of alita is better or on par with the 3d version then i know they either havent seen it in 3d or they havent seen it on a decent 3d setup. just doesnt compare. aside from some of the hdr colors the 3d version just creates the world in a way that 4k doesnt. i wonder if the guys didnt get together and say "lets release a 4k/3d combo just to prove how much better 3d brings a world alive than 4k and bring back some of the 3d love thats gone missing. lol yeah i know, i know but really im not drinking tonight

oh an btw ralph said the 4k was better than the 3d so thats why i dont agree with him most of the time.
Mr.G likes this.

Lg G6
Oppo 203, Ps4Pro
PSA V1801
post #100 of 109 Old 07-26-2019, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Totally agree with you about animation. I just love 3D animation and all the titles that I've gotten (and I have pretty much every release from a major studio) have looked awesome. I'm pretty sure now that The Rise of Skywalker will come out on 3D since all the other recent big Disney movies have been put out in 3D in many markets.
Generally they've all been pretty good all things considered, film makers get a lot of freedom to adjust the depth or plan for 3D when they're developing the film if that's what they want to do, plus they can get away with things that would look unrealistic in real life. It definitely looks like Rise of Skywalker is getting a theatre release in 3D, but given Disney's limited 3D releases before (Ralph Breaks the Internet) it's hard to know what'll happen with future 3D Blu-Ray releases (yes, I'm hanging out for Frozen 2 as well).

Quote:
We'll have to see, hopefully whatever he does can get the naysayers from killing it off, glasses free home TV experiences could swing it around I think, but you really need a certain level of user content creation engagement to really get it happening. This may be possible since more advanced 3D cameras/gear for VR have been developed now.

Quote:
i think one of the problems and why i do buy some early now is because as 3d is fading i fear some of these movies wont be cheap because they wont be around later.
That's true, some of the limited editions sell out pretty quickly and stock is drying up here in Australia in the local JB Hifi shops, they used to have a decent section devoted to 3D however now it's maybe half the size or subsumed into the rest of the stock.

Quote:
in all honesty, if anyone says that the 4k version of alita is better or on par with the 3d version then i know they either havent seen it in 3d or they havent seen it on a decent 3d setup.
I just watched a reasonable amount of Alita it in 4K/HDR but didn't find it all that dramatically improved over a standard 2K/SDR version, still to rewatch it in 3D properly however I did enjoy seeing it in the cinema in 3D when it was released.
post #101 of 109 Old 07-26-2019, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Liked: 585
Beware of Amazon orders. Received my copy of Alita yesterday. I clearly ordered the 4K/3D version--says so on my order list. I received the bluray version today, which is cheaper. I didn't realize it until I had unwrapped it and opened it. So I quickly set up a return with money back. Have order in to Best Buy now.
post #102 of 109 Old 07-27-2019, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1353 Post(s)
Liked: 1862
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob View Post
Beware of Amazon orders. Received my copy of Alita yesterday. I clearly ordered the 4K/3D version--says so on my order list. I received the bluray version today, which is cheaper. I didn't realize it until I had unwrapped it and opened it. So I quickly set up a return with money back. Have order in to Best Buy now.
Bob, sorry to hear they screwed up your order. Good advice. My pre-order arrived Wednesday in the correct 4K/3D version.
RobKnapp likes this.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
post #103 of 109 Old 11-29-2019, 06:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 296
I recently updated my Oppo UDP 203 firmware and my LG Oled e6p firmware to take advantage OF HDR 10+. I had watched the movie last week. I was surprised that after adjusting the HDR setting on the Oppo I was amazed at the improvement...BUT I CANNOT ATTEST THAT WHAT I GOT WAS HDR10+. I changed the HDR setting from auto to forced. Nor can I attest that updating the firmware helped. And in further research most recommend leaving HDR on auto.

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
Display: LG OLED 65e6p, Player: OPPO UDP-203, AVR:Yamaha TSR 7810, Streaming: Comcast 60Mbps RG6 to Cat6a, Speakers: Mains Vandersteen IIC, Center, Surrounds, Rears Klipsch

Last edited by Postmoderndesign; 11-30-2019 at 01:06 PM.
post #104 of 109 Old 12-02-2019, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I cannot wait to see this movie. Best Buy had Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D on sale for $12.00.
m0j0 likes this.
post #105 of 109 Old 12-02-2019, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post
I recently updated my Oppo UDP 203 firmware and my LG Oled e6p firmware to take advantage OF HDR 10+. I had watched the movie last week. I was surprised that after adjusting the HDR setting on the Oppo I was amazed at the improvement...BUT I CANNOT ATTEST THAT WHAT I GOT WAS HDR10+. I changed the HDR setting from auto to forced. Nor can I attest that updating the firmware helped. And in further research most recommend leaving HDR on auto.
Are you sure the LG supports HDR 10+, last I checked the LGs supported HDR10, HLG and DV?

See

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #106 of 109 Old 12-02-2019, 04:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
Are you sure the LG supports HDR 10+, last I checked the LGs supported HDR10, HLG and DV?

See
I believe you are correct ... LG does not support HDR10+ so far as I know. I am definitely getting better 3D video quality. I am struggling to understand what your Venn diagram is showing as LG seems to be within all the sets. However, Alita and Spider Man Far from Home both looked better. Perhaps it was a result of upgrading the OPPO UDP-203 firmware.

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
Display: LG OLED 65e6p, Player: OPPO UDP-203, AVR:Yamaha TSR 7810, Streaming: Comcast 60Mbps RG6 to Cat6a, Speakers: Mains Vandersteen IIC, Center, Surrounds, Rears Klipsch
post #107 of 109 Old 12-02-2019, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post
I believe you are correct ... LG does not support HDR10+ so far as I know. I am definitely getting better 3D video quality. I am struggling to understand what your Venn diagram is showing as LG seems to be within all the sets. However, Alita and Spider Man Far from Home both looked better. Perhaps it was a result of upgrading the OPPO UDP-203 firmware.
If you look closely LG is NOT within the HDR10+ oval but is within all the other ovals meaning LG supports all the HDR protocols used worldwide except HDR10+.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #108 of 109 Old 12-02-2019, 05:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Quote:
in all honesty, if anyone says that the 4k version of alita is better or on par with the 3d version then i know they either havent seen it in 3d or they havent seen it on a decent 3d setup. just doesnt compare. aside from some of the hdr colors the 3d version just creates the world in a way that 4k doesnt. i wonder if the guys didnt get together and say "lets release a 4k/3d combo just to prove how much better 3d brings a world alive than 4k and bring back some of the 3d love thats gone missing. lol yeah i know, i know but really im not drinking tonight

oh an btw ralph said the 4k was better than the 3d so thats why i dont agree with him most of the time.
I agree that the 3d version is better from a visual perspective, but the 4K version is better from an audio perspective (if we are talking straight from the disc with no muxing), at least in my HT. So, I alternate between the two formats and enjoy them both.
post #109 of 109 Old 12-02-2019, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by AReelCinemaAtHome View Post
I cannot wait to see this movie. Best Buy had Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D on sale for $12.00.
This is an excellent movie! You will probably want to watch many times... I know I have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Content

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page