What do you suggest for 'Top 5 3D Movies' ONLY for Best Pop-out effects? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #31 of 63 Old 05-09-2019, 07:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newuser2018 View Post
Dont remember any significant Pop-outs in Avatar and creature from black lagoon unless i miss something...
All the Spy Kids movies supposedly have incredible pop-outs (although I haven't seen all of them). But Game Over - definitely yes. The 3D Archives discs have incredible pop-outs; shockingly good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 63 Old 05-10-2019, 06:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 88
SPY KIDS 3-D is the only entry that was shot in 3-D. It indeed has a lot of gimmicks. (The first and second films were flat only.) The fourth one was converted to 3-D, and they didn't do a good job. I watched them when my young relatives were around, but unless you are under the age of 8, there isn't much of interest.
post #33 of 63 Old 05-10-2019, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

As noted earlier, Kino announced they will be releasing REVENGE OF THE SHOGUN WOMEN (aka 13 NUNS) with the participation of the 3-D Film Archive. Fans of pop-out effects should be sure to pick up it up, as it is a crazy kung-fu epic that thrusts, throws and catapults everything you can think of off the screen. I hope we also get the companion film, DYNASTY, which was shot just before REVENGE and is probably the better of the two. The extreme depth and gimmicks in these movies make them great fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 63 Old 05-10-2019, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve P. View Post
As noted earlier, Kino announced they will be releasing REVENGE OF THE SHOGUN WOMEN (aka 13 NUNS) with the participation of the 3-D Film Archive. Fans of pop-out effects should be sure to pick up it up, as it is a crazy kung-fu epic that thrusts, throws and catapults everything you can think of off the screen. I hope we also get the companion film, DYNASTY, which was shot just before REVENGE and is probably the better of the two. The extreme depth and gimmicks in these movies make them great fun.
Any idea when this will be released on 3D Bluray? Any pre-order available now?
post #35 of 63 Old 05-10-2019, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill722 View Post
Yeah the claw out of the rock is one of my favorites. It's one of the ways I test the 3D on a tv.

Get ready for more pop-outs than you can shake a stick at from Bob Furmanek(3-D Film Archive):

Revenge of the Shogun Women(13 Nuns) one of the all-time kings of pop-out and of course Parasite.

And yes Hotel Transylvania is on 3D on VUDU. Not great pop-out movie, but very good quality by the way. I am just too lazy to post elsewhere.

MI 6: Fallout 3d. Winner. Helicopter scene is wonderful(I heard)
Hi, I was looking for this 'Parasite 3D' movie but did not find this movie at all.
I am almost certain that I am missing something here.
Please give me the link how to buy this movie
post #36 of 63 Old 05-10-2019, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS3771 View Post
This one is so crazy that my wife and I had to switch off the movie! 3D is fantabulous but the horror/violence needs a stomach of steel to digest.
LOL.
Yes yes yes....
This is the reason these 2 movies are my TOP favorites & love to watch anytime
post #37 of 63 Old 05-10-2019, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Hi, I was looking for this 'Parasite 3D' movie but did not find this movie at all.
I am almost certain that I am missing something here.
Please give me the link how to buy this movie
My fault. No release date. It's coming but don't know when yet. But Bob Furmanek has promised; and that's good enough for me. The King of 3D, and a true gentleman as well.

He gave a cryptic answer that we may get Dynasty as well on another 3D forum, so cross your eyes, er, fingers.

LG 77G6P/OPPO 203 REGION FREE
LG 65G6P/OPPO 203 REGION FREE
LG 65C6P/OPPO 203
post #38 of 63 Old 05-10-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Wow - DYNASTY? Been waiting to re-watch this movie in 3D since the late 80s! Watched it in 3D at a theater in the 80s and was incredibly impressed with the pop-out + depth. I remember having to duck, remove my glasses, etc., to avoid stuff going thru my face/eyes, etc.!! Thought the movie was great too! Been searching for this movie in 2D at least since 10 years and it's nowhere to be found!
post #39 of 63 Old 05-10-2019, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Wow - DYNASTY? Been waiting to re-watch this movie in 3D since the late 80s! Watched it in 3D at a theater in the 80s and was incredibly impressed with the pop-out + depth. I remember having to duck, remove my glasses, etc., to avoid stuff going thru my face/eyes, etc.!! Thought the movie was great too! Been searching for this movie in 2D at least since 10 years and it's nowhere to be found!
Please keep us posted here as soon as Dynasty, Parasite & Revenge of the Shogun Women 3D are available as looking for them so desperately.

Thanks a lot
post #40 of 63 Old 05-10-2019, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
All the Spy Kids movies supposedly have incredible pop-outs (although I haven't seen all of them). But Game Over - definitely yes. The 3D Archives discs have incredible pop-outs; shockingly good.
Hi, where is this '3D Archives' you mentioned? Available in amazon?
post #41 of 63 Old 05-10-2019, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

All we know so far is PARASITE is coming in time for Halloween, and that REVENGE OF THE SHOGUN WOMEN has been formally announced. I'm sure release dates and pre-orders will be forth coming in due course. Patience. There is no word on DYNASTY, just putting my hopes out there. I'd love to retire my old field sequential 3-D copy of that one as well.

Jackie Chan also did a similar 3-D film around the same time as the other two Kung Fu epics. It's called MAGNIFICENT BODYGUARDS. I've only seen an anaglyphic conversion of that one, via a rare Japanese laserdisc, which didn't even have subtitles or English dubbing. I'd love to see that one in the original 3-D version sometime. It also has wall the wall gimmicks, which don't really come off in the downconversion to anaglyph.
post #42 of 63 Old 05-10-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Actually meant https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/3-D-R...Blu-ray/98139/ <- couldn't believe the 3D here

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/3-D-Rarities-II-Blu-ray/208965/<- this one should be good too

The Lightmond series 3D discs have the strongest 3D I've ever seen (mostly depth I think with some sporadic very strong pop-outs)
post #43 of 63 Old 05-10-2019, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I suggest you visit their excellent site www.3dfilmarchive.com for a wealth of information about the history of 3-D movies, informative articles about individual films, and information about the restorations they have done and if they are available on 3-D blu-ray. Every disc they have worked on is easily available for purchase from Amazon, other online retailers, some brick and mortar stores.
post #44 of 63 Old 05-10-2019, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks all for clarifying...
post #45 of 63 Old 05-10-2019, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked: 540
With no consideration for anything other than 3D pop-outs: Flying Swords of Dragon Gate
post #46 of 63 Old 05-10-2019, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post
With no consideration for anything other than 3D pop-outs: Flying Swords of Dragon Gate
Yes. Watched/Enjoyed that already and agree.
post #47 of 63 Old 05-11-2019, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters
Journey to the Center of the Earth
Comin' At Ya!
Coraline
Men in Black 3
post #48 of 63 Old 05-12-2019, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Please keep us posted here as soon as Dynasty, Parasite & Revenge of the Shogun Women 3D are available as looking for them so desperately.

Thanks a lot
Will do! Yes Dynasty is a tremendous 3D movie. One of the best ever made. There is a copy on ebay in 3D if you care to check it out. Just don't expect blu ray quality. But it is fun.

ps search 13 nuns 3d; same seller has friday 13th 3 3D new greatly improved version too.

LG 77G6P/OPPO 203 REGION FREE
LG 65G6P/OPPO 203 REGION FREE
LG 65C6P/OPPO 203

Last edited by wildbill722; 05-12-2019 at 05:32 PM.
post #49 of 63 Old 05-12-2019, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill722 View Post
Will do! Yes Dynasty is a tremendous 3D movie. One of the best ever made. There is a copy on ebay in 3D if you care to check it out. Just don't expect blu ray quality. But it is fun.

ps search 13 nuns 3d; same seller has friday 13th 3 3D new greatly improved version too.
Never know that Friday 13th was released in real 3D.
Are you referring to https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Friday-the-1...ZbGP74673Aohjg

Also for '13 nuns 3d', cant find anything in ebay..I am sure I am missing something
post #50 of 63 Old 05-13-2019, 06:36 AM
Advanced Member

Just wait a few months for the legit 3-D blu-ray from Kino....(13 NUNS is the original title for the forthcoming REVENGE OF THE SHOGUN WOMEN.)
wildbill722 likes this.
post #51 of 63 Old 05-14-2019, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Just wait a few months for the legit 3-D blu-ray from Kino....(13 NUNS is the original title for the forthcoming REVENGE OF THE SHOGUN WOMEN.)
Yes looks like I will have to wait now
post #52 of 63 Old 05-25-2019, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 195
I just watched Thunder and the House of Magic again. It has the most pop outs of any 3D movie I have seen. There isn't even a second place.

https://www.amazon.com/Thunder-House...gateway&sr=8-2
jorgebetancourt likes this.

LG OLED55C6P
Sony STRDH770, Sony UBP-X800, Sony PS3 160
2 - Polk TSi300, 1 - Polk CS10, 4 - Polk T15, 1 - Polk PSW125
post #53 of 63 Old 05-26-2019, 04:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seilerbird View Post
I just watched Thunder and the House of Magic again. It has the most pop outs of any 3D movie I have seen. There isn't even a second place.

This movie is crazy good when it comes to 3d.. I bought all of them from them and now I'm waiting for the son of big foot to arrive.. never seen 3d the way this company does it..

The first 3d movie I saw when it made its comeback was a movie called fly me to the moon which is made by the same company. after that I was hooked and I kept going back to the movies to watch the latest 3D movies but everything else sucked after that. The only one that came close was gravity..

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
post #54 of 63 Old 05-28-2019, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdarcy View Post
I’ve never seen anything pop out of my screen and I have close to 100 3d discs. Some 3d is better than others but nothing pops out in my face ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am having the same issue. The other 3d forums seem dead so I will just ask here if that is okay. I have tried several of these recommended movies and I never see a negative parallax effect. I can see it in theaters, but I just don't at home, and I can't figure out what to adjust.

My projector is a JVC 540 and the disc player is Oppo 203. Glasses are Xpand with RF emitter. The video signal does not go through my receiver. I do have a few films that I ripped to remux Atmos, so I can check to see if playing file-based makes a difference, but I don't think so. Something like Drive Angry that has weapons thrown at the viewer, the object flies at the screen and stops at the surface.

In the projector there is a parallax slider that I have tried moving down as far as negative 15. While I can see something changing on screen while I do it, it doesn't seem to result in a pop-out image. I have also moved the slider the other way, and I can't really tell what change that made, either.

I have also adjusted the "screen size" value in the player down from the usual 150 inch setting. (My CIH screen is typically viewed at 125 inch wide 2.4:1 ratio with anamorphic lens, scaled in Oppo) I tried 140, 130, and 120 inches.

I did not see an option to change which eye is first for the 3d glasses, but I have heard that may be an issue. I do, however have reasonable depth in image.

What I really have been disappointed about not seeing is atmospheric things like snow and the pollen puffs in the Avatar jungle scenes.

Suggestions?
post #55 of 63 Old 05-28-2019, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAvery View Post
I am having the same issue. The other 3d forums seem dead so I will just ask here if that is okay. I have tried several of these recommended movies and I never see a negative parallax effect. I can see it in theaters, but I just don't at home, and I can't figure out what to adjust.

My projector is a JVC 540 and the disc player is Oppo 203. Glasses are Xpand with RF emitter. The video signal does not go through my receiver. I do have a few films that I ripped to remux Atmos, so I can check to see if playing file-based makes a difference, but I don't think so. Something like Drive Angry that has weapons thrown at the viewer, the object flies at the screen and stops at the surface.

In the projector there is a parallax slider that I have tried moving down as far as negative 15. While I can see something changing on screen while I do it, it doesn't seem to result in a pop-out image. I have also moved the slider the other way, and I can't really tell what change that made, either.

I have also adjusted the "screen size" value in the player down from the usual 150 inch setting. (My CIH screen is typically viewed at 125 inch wide 2.4:1 ratio with anamorphic lens, scaled in Oppo) I tried 140, 130, and 120 inches.

I did not see an option to change which eye is first for the 3d glasses, but I have heard that may be an issue. I do, however have reasonable depth in image.

What I really have been disappointed about not seeing is atmospheric things like snow and the pollen puffs in the Avatar jungle scenes.

Suggestions?
From my personal experience, i did not do any adjustment but just left default & can see great pop-outs from 3D movies. Sometimes I just tweak 3D depth to 0 or -1 that's it...
May be experts out here can help you if any adjustment is missing for your PJ
post #56 of 63 Old 06-12-2019, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Furthering my confusion, it may just be me who can't see it. I showed my wife the scenes from Thunder and the House of Magic and she could see popouts right in her face, while I see almost nothing nearer than the screen (minimal bit of pop out).

I wear glasses, under my active 3d glasses. Would contact lenses make a difference? Or should I be trying to find a passive 3d TV or building a two projector Passive setup? Or might there still be a system setting to adjust for my eyes?

Do old eyes just miss it? I see a lot of 3d in theaters and can't remember the last pop outs I saw there either.
post #57 of 63 Old 06-12-2019, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Have you had your eyes examined recently? I would tell the doctor to pay special attention to checking your depth perception.

I don't notice any difference at all in the off the screen stuff whether watching in passive or active. As for aging, the only thing that is different for me is that I have a bit more difficulty in free-viewing stereo pairs than I did when I was younger. I can still do it if the images aren't too large, but it takes longer for my eyes to fuse them into one 3-D image.
post #58 of 63 Old 06-14-2019, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seilerbird View Post

Just watched this 3D last night with my kid.
OMG!! Movie with BEST Pop-outs.....Insane.....Gonna watch again....
post #59 of 63 Old 06-14-2019, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Just watched this 3D last night with my kid.
OMG!! Movie with BEST Pop-outs.....Insane.....Gonna watch again....
And it a really good movie to boot.

LG OLED55C6P
Sony STRDH770, Sony UBP-X800, Sony PS3 160
2 - Polk TSi300, 1 - Polk CS10, 4 - Polk T15, 1 - Polk PSW125
post #60 of 63 Old 06-14-2019, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAvery View Post
Furthering my confusion, it may just be me who can't see it. I showed my wife the scenes from Thunder and the House of Magic and she could see popouts right in her face, while I see almost nothing nearer than the screen (minimal bit of pop out).

I wear glasses, under my active 3d glasses. Would contact lenses make a difference? Or should I be trying to find a passive 3d TV or building a two projector Passive setup? Or might there still be a system setting to adjust for my eyes?

Do old eyes just miss it? I see a lot of 3d in theaters and can't remember the last pop outs I saw there either.
House of Thunders has a 2D option a little confusing to click on the right one.. Maybe your clicking on 2D by mistake? It happened to me a few times.

House of Thunders and the 2 turtle movies are incredible in 3D but the second turtle movie has much better graphics and story.. Robinson Crusoe the story is great with good graphics but the movie has black bars.. Son of Bigfoot good grahics fun story but the least 3D of them and also has black bars..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Content

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page