• 1 Post By Paul H

post #1 of 19 Old 03-28-2019, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Prototype on 3d Blu-Ray

Prototype on 3d Blu-Ray

If you search for that you should be able to find a crowdfunding deal to publish a 3D blu-ray of something described as very experimental. I am not affiliated in any way with it. I have not seen it. Just thought I would share in case someone is interested in supporting it and getting a copy.

EDIT: I did not include a link because I am not sure if the forum rules are OK with that or not. If they are - someone can post it or let me know and I can edit this with the link.
dew42 likes this.

Last edited by fingersdlp; 03-28-2019 at 03:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 03-29-2019, 05:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked: 573
If I search I come up with your post...lol. I post links all the time, here. We are all interested in the latest news. Or PM me the link, and I will take it from there.

I see what you mean. I did find it when searching Indiegogo.com. I've had a couple of bad experiences with crowd funding. That said, I can't see what 3D has to do with filming old TV footage on an original Philco TV. I will let others search for it on Indiegogo.com as well.

Last edited by 3DBob; 03-29-2019 at 07:42 AM. Reason: More info:
post #3 of 19 Old 03-29-2019, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

Maybe contributing to this is penance for anyone who has ever bought an auto-convert from Germany! Does sound very artsy - but if it is bizarre enough it might be redeemed. Who knows. I will keep an eye as I am curious if they will be able to get to the funding goal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 03-29-2019, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 171
post #5 of 19 Old 03-30-2019, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I still can't get onboard as to what this about. The Rotten-Tomatoes reviews seem way too good, and that is easy to do when you have good friends supporting you
post #6 of 19 Old 04-11-2019, 02:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Prototype 3d

Heads up that there's an Indiegogo campaign up to raise the funds for a 3D Blu-ray of a natively-shot 3D film called PROTOTYPE (I'd attach a trailer, but since I'm a new user I'm not allowed to yet). The film was released in the US last summer courtesy of the New York-based indie distributor Grasshopper Film, and got pretty strong reviews from the likes of the A.V. Club, New York Times, and The Film Stage. Also, there are some fun perks/rewards in there that may be of interest to some of you.

Here's the campaign page: igg[dot]me/at/prototype-3d-blu/x/18811032 (again, sorry, I'm not allowed to post proper urls yet, but wanted to let you all know about this)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PROTOTYPE-onesheet_small.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	808.9 KB
ID:	2551614  
post #7 of 19 Old 04-11-2019, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter

FYI,

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/196-3...d-blu-ray.html

Maybe with two threads it will reach its funding goal.
post #8 of 19 Old 04-11-2019, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob View Post
If I search I come up with your post...lol. I post links all the time, here. We are all interested in the latest news. Or PM me the link, and I will take it from there.

I see what you mean. I did find it when searching Indiegogo.com. I've had a couple of bad experiences with crowd funding. That said, I can't see what 3D has to do with filming old TV footage on an original Philco TV. I will let others search for it on Indiegogo.com as well.
Hi 3DBob,

Just to give a bit more info on the concerns you and others have raised (as, full disclosure, I'm the one who made the movie):

The filming of the Philco screens was done in such a way that the footage on the screen is itself three-dimensional. To explain, I captured footage with 3d cameras, which as we know produces two videos, one for the left eye and one for the right. This footage was then rephotographed off the Philco screen - first the left eye, then the right - and then composited in the studio to produce 3D black & white CRT images. As you can see in some of the film stills, there are certain shots include multiples screens situated in space. These screens are also composed for three dimensions. So what you end up with, then, are 3D shots of screens, which are each showing 3D footage. The way these compositions play with depth was very fascinating to me, and the results, if I may say so, can be quite captivating.

As to what the movie is "about," things are kept loose, but there is an intimated narrative framework that holds it all together; namely, the movie proposes the invention of this 3D televisual device at the beginning of the 20th century (essentially, as the beginning of cinema), and considers this non-invention within the context of the rest of that moment's goings-on: the developments of the auto industry, telegraphy, meteorology, as well as the birth of particular kinds of visual abstraction (seen in Cubist, Dada, and Futurist art). It's not a conventional movie by any means, but it's one that has played well for adventurous viewers - even those not well-versed in avant-garde cinema.

Lastly, of the reviews currently posted on Rotten Tomatoes, I have met the writers of precisely zero of them.
post #9 of 19 Old 04-12-2019, 06:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@Astrostic : As a writer of 4 books, I can appreciate all of the work and creative effort that went into your project. Any projects that promote 3D and the use of 3D are always welcome here. I will keep my eyes open for further developments of your project...
post #10 of 19 Old 04-12-2019, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrostic View Post
Just to give a bit more info on the concerns you and others have raised (as, full disclosure, I'm the one who made the movie):
Good luck to you sir. You had me at hello. 3D? check. Original? check. Actually I should say you had me at 3D.

I contributed and I hope the funding goes well as I want to see it. When I said artsy I meant that in a good way

Thanks for the original content.
post #11 of 19 Old 04-12-2019, 07:38 PM

Thanks guys! Amazing to have your support. This seems like an awesome community. Glad I've finally found it
post #12 of 19 Old 04-26-2019, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 63
The IndieGoGo campaign for the 3-D Blu-Ray of Prototype is 95% complete with only 40+ hours to go.
The campaign only needs 10 more backers to reach its goal!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-04-26 at 7.36.34 AM copy.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	2558430

PROTOTYPE on 3D Blu-Ray
wildbill722 likes this.

BD 3D, BD, HD DVD, DVD collection

Last edited by Paul H; 04-26-2019 at 07:46 AM.
post #13 of 19 Old 04-26-2019, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Show your love for 3D!!!

Only need $210.00. That's just 6 more people(costs $35.00 to buy the movie).

You get a cool 3D movie! And show your support for 3D.

Got 32 hours left.

LG 77G6P/OPPO 203 REGION FREE
LG 65G6P/OPPO 203 REGION FREE
LG 65C6P/OPPO 203
post #14 of 19 Old 04-27-2019, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Done and done.

Made it with time to spare. 3D is alive and well! A big thank you to all who contributed. You made the difference.

LG 77G6P/OPPO 203 REGION FREE
LG 65G6P/OPPO 203 REGION FREE
LG 65C6P/OPPO 203
post #15 of 19 Old 04-27-2019, 08:33 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 162 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5311 Post(s)
Liked: 5608
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill722 View Post
Done and done.

Made it with time to spare. 3D is alive and well! A big thank you to all who contributed. You made the difference.
I bought a copy as well, looking forward to seeing this.
post #16 of 19 Old 08-16-2019, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1260 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Bump. Anyone have their pre-order yet? I know they went out. Seen it? Thoughts?

This line intentionally left blank.
post #17 of 19 Old 08-24-2019, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

I have my copy and since there are no other takers I will try to describe...

A unique oddity. There is no traditional narrative. No dialog. Background noise perhaps akin to a machine or metropolis factory. Almost entirely black and white with a a short color sequence at the beginning and a longer one at the end. Often times the images invoked a feeling of "is the eye order wrong here?". There is certainly an ample amount of noise in the older footage. I thought it worked best when the display was used as view master with still images circa the time of the hurricane.

I suspect there was intent to trick the eye or brain as sometimes the images of the left eye and right eye were inverted. Black parts in the left eye were white in the right - and visa versa. All this is to say I would best describe it as experimental with purpose to provide sensory images unique to a 3D format and with intent to push beyond the traditional. There is an overriding strobe effect that I wonder how epileptics might take. At times it was uncomfortable and I found myself closing one eye or the other to take respite. There were ample full black screens / fades throughout that provided a palate cleanser.

If you are looking for clean clear 3D or a traditional narrative this is not your cup of tea. It is more art house cinema with the 3D used as a unique canvas to provide visuals not available otherwise. Sometimes the images could be discerned and often water was the backdrop. Other times it was just a jumble of contrasting images. There was a sequence of modern automobiles that I found out of place. More often it was like fireflies or a Rorschach test of ink blots. I could not recommend this it any other member of my family outside of my brother perhaps but that is not to say I did not find appreciation in the work. I am glad I have a copy. Looking for unconventional? This is that and more.

I would say watch with a relaxed frame of mind. If you are waiting or apprehensive for something traditional you will not find enjoyment here. It is a unique property for a unique audience.

A few drams of Scotch might help.

Last edited by fingersdlp; 08-24-2019 at 10:03 PM.
post #18 of 19 Old 08-25-2019, 01:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingersdlp View Post
I have my copy and since there are no other takers I will try to describe...

A unique oddity. There is no traditional narrative. No dialog. Background noise perhaps akin to a machine or metropolis factory. Almost entirely black and white with a a short color sequence at the beginning and a longer one at the end. Often times the images invoked a feeling of "is the eye order wrong here?". There is certainly an ample amount of noise in the older footage. I thought it worked best when the display was used as view master with still images circa the time of the hurricane.

I suspect there was intent to trick the eye or brain as sometimes the images of the left eye and right eye were inverted. Black parts in the left eye were white in the right - and visa versa. All this is to say I would best describe it as experimental with purpose to provide sensory images unique to a 3D format and with intent to push beyond the traditional. There is an overriding strobe effect that I wonder how epileptics might take. At times it was uncomfortable and I found myself closing one eye or the other to take respite. There were ample full black screens / fades throughout that provided a palate cleanser.

If you are looking for clean clear 3D or a traditional narrative this is not your cup of tea. It is more art house cinema with the 3D used as a unique canvas to provide visuals not available otherwise. Sometimes the images could be discerned and often water was the backdrop. Other times it was just a jumble of contrasting images. There was a sequence of modern automobiles that I found out of place. More often it was like fireflies or a Rorschach test of ink blots. I could not recommend this it any other member of my family outside of my brother perhaps but that is not to say I did not find appreciation in the work. I am glad I have a copy. Looking for unconventional? This is that and more.

I would say watch with a relaxed frame of mind. If you are waiting or apprehensive for something traditional you will not find enjoyment here. It is a unique property for a unique audience.

A few drams of Scotch might help.
Thanks for the in-depth review. I tried to watch the short "Something Horizontal" but yeah I don't enjoy fast, strobing scenes. I don't think it works for 3D either. 3D you need time to resolve the images and yes I found it very uncomfortable. Not sure if I'll pick this one up.

post #19 of 19 Old 08-30-2019, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

So is there a general release date yet for the Blu ray for those that missed the early crowd funding? I'd of course buy a copy to lend support for other 3D content creators.

The fast scene effects, I'm wondering how much is used? In Something Horizontal, the fast parts, hard to watch, maybe it doesn't bother other people as much. The slower parts I think are much better, easier to focus.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Content

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page