Anything pretty close to Hubble 3d - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By Newuser2018
  • 1 Post By rural scribe
  • 1 Post By Postmoderndesign
  • 1 Post By Frank714
  • 1 Post By 3DBob
  • 1 Post By surroundsound99

post #1 of 19 Old 04-25-2019, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 692 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Please recommend something thats pretty close to Hubble 3d

Hi guys can you recommend anything that's pretty close to hobble in 3d.. This blew my mind I then went out and bought IMAX: Journey to Space but it was pretty bad compared to Hubble, I watched it and threw it away.. Then I bought Mysteries of the Unseen World 3D it was pretty good I watched it twice but still nothing like Hubble.. Anyways I love cosmology it drives nuts but i dont think there is anything well done out there? I dont mind importing it..

The few stuff ive found the reviews are poor and I'm tired of throwing money away...

Last edited by jorgebetancourt; 04-25-2019 at 08:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-25-2019, 02:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgebetancourt View Post
Hi guys can you recommend anything that's pretty close to hobble in 3d.. This blew my mind I then went out and bought IMAX: Journey to Space but it was pretty bad compared to Hubble, I watched it and threw it away.. Then I bought Mysteries of the Unseen World 3D it was pretty good I watched it twice but still nothing like Hubble.. Anyways I love cosmology it drives nuts but i dont think there is anything well done out there? I dont mind importing it..

The few stuff ive found the reviews are poor and I'm tired of throwing money away...
Thanks anyway. I take it as a feedback & will watch my 'ever waiting' Hubble 3D this weekend
jorgebetancourt likes this.
post #3 of 19 Old 04-25-2019, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newuser2018 View Post
Thanks anyway. I take it as a feedback & will watch my 'ever waiting' Hubble 3D this weekend
This is absolutely amazing.. Let me know what you think after you watch it..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 04-26-2019, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1269 Post(s)
Liked: 508
Quote:

Wow, I actually liked it. I thought Hubble was more disappointing because it was more about setting up the Hubble than 3D space images from the Hubble which is what I expected still I would never throw it away.

Aside from the ones you have, IMAX Space Junk and The Universe series, a number of those with decent 3D images in space. Also Space Intelligence which is Unraveling the Cosmos series here in US. There isn't a lot of content in 3D on Space documentaries, I have all of them.

This line intentionally left blank.
post #5 of 19 Old 04-26-2019, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
Wow, I actually liked it. I thought Hubble was more disappointing because it was more about setting up the Hubble than 3D space images from the Hubble which is what I expected still I would never throw it away.

Aside from the ones you have, IMAX Space Junk and The Universe series, a number of those with decent 3D images in space. Also Space Intelligence which is Unraveling the Cosmos series here in US. There isn't a lot of content in 3D on Space documentaries, I have all of them.
Yes on Hubble they spend a little bit too much time fixing it but the space scenes with the planets and the stars were amazing

Of the few that you recommended which one will you say is the best one

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
post #6 of 19 Old 04-26-2019, 05:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1269 Post(s)
Liked: 508
Forgot about IMAX Space Station, that one was filmed early 2000's and it's pretty good. I'd recommend that one first.

This line intentionally left blank.
post #7 of 19 Old 04-30-2019, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
Forgot about IMAX Space Station, that one was filmed early 2000's and it's pretty good. I'd recommend that one first.
I saw IMAX Space Station at at the London IMAX, and that is, hands down, the best 3D I have ever seen. The 3D bluray doesn't really compare to the theater experience, at least in my home system, but it is good.

The best 3D blurays I have seen, as far as producing great 3D images at home, are two IMAX undersea documentaries, "Deep Sea" and "Under the Sea." Some great popouts in those.
RobKnapp likes this.
post #8 of 19 Old 05-02-2019, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:

I cannot answer the question, "can you recommend anything that's pretty close to hobble in 3d?" But I appreciated your post and bought Hubble 3D. I thought the science and technology is interesting and the 3D is excellent.

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
Display: LG OLED 65e6p, Player: OPPO UDP-203, AVR:Yamaha TSR 7810, Streaming: Comcast 60Mbps RG6 to Cat6a, Speakers: Mains Vandersteen IIC, Center, Surrounds, Rears Klipsch

Last edited by Postmoderndesign; 05-23-2019 at 06:26 AM.
post #9 of 19 Old 05-23-2019, 03:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked: 429
In case you want more 3D footage from the ISS, here is a German 3D Blu-ray to consider about Germany's most prominent Astronaut and the ISS: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00...KR8XB7XF&psc=1

The aforementioned IMAX 3D Blu-rays are among my favorites, but other than that I give space programs in 3D a wide berth because they mostly focus on objects that are out of our stereoscopic viewing range (and therefore technically can only show up in 2D), i.e. too far away.

Regarding the fabulous Hubble images in 3D I had to pretend I was looking with "God's eyes" and that the 3D depth was a concession in order to convey an idea of distances...

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde
post #10 of 19 Old 05-23-2019, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Liked: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank714 View Post
In case you want more 3D footage from the ISS, here is a German 3D Blu-ray to consider about Germany's most prominent Astronaut and the ISS: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00...KR8XB7XF&psc=1

The aforementioned IMAX 3D Blu-rays are among my favorites, but other than that I give space programs in 3D a wide berth because they mostly focus on objects that are out of our stereoscopic viewing range (and therefore technically can only show up in 2D), i.e. too far away.

Regarding the fabulous Hubble images in 3D I had to pretend I was looking with "God's eyes" and that the 3D depth was a concession in order to convey an idea of distances...
I translated the page. Looks like it is in German and English. I think I'm going to get it, looks promising.
post #11 of 19 Old 05-23-2019, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank714 View Post

I will order this in a week or so.. Great find....
I wish there was more flying through the universe .

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
post #12 of 19 Old 05-24-2019, 01:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked: 429
The NASA program is coming to Blu-ray - https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/NASA-...lu-ray/241642/ - but only in 2D.

I'm confident they have a lot of footage recorded in 3D, but it's uncertain whether we'll be able to see all of that.

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde
post #13 of 19 Old 08-09-2019, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob View Post
I translated the page. Looks like it is in German and English. I think I'm going to get it, looks promising.
Did you get it? How is it?
post #14 of 19 Old 08-09-2019, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural scribe View Post
I saw IMAX Space Station at at the London IMAX, and that is, hands down, the best 3D I have ever seen. The 3D bluray doesn't really compare to the theater experience, at least in my home system, but it is good.

The best 3D blurays I have seen, as far as producing great 3D images at home, are two IMAX undersea documentaries, "Deep Sea" and "Under the Sea." Some great popouts in those.
While I've seen "Under the Sea," numerous times (use it as a demo disc) never seen "Deep Sea" although I've had the disc for several years! Will check it out this weekend. This one has some truly incredible 3D --> https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-U...Blu-ray/18661/
post #15 of 19 Old 09-05-2019, 07:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Space Junk 3D is another good space-bound Imax feature. The CGI isn't the most realistic but the disc's good depth and some nice popout effects help to make up for it.
post #16 of 19 Old 09-06-2019, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post
Space Junk 3D is another good space-bound Imax feature. The CGI isn't the most realistic but the disc's good depth and some nice popout effects help to make up for it.
Thanks. Missed this in my collection.
Will order it now
post #17 of 19 Old Yesterday, 11:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Quote:

Did you play Journey to Space in 4K or 3D? With all due respect, grab that disc out of the trash or buy another one...play the launch of the Space Shuttle Columbia again (at around 7:00 or so) ... THIS TIME PLAY THE 4K DISC SO YOU GET DOLBY ATMOS... AND CRANK IT UP... WOW!! Yes, the script writing and storytelling on this disc are not great but who cares!! The launch sequence alone is worth every penny of the $15 this disc is currently going for, all day long. Plus there are two other launch sequences on this disc almost as good as the first one! These are my new demo clips. Amazing! If you don't have an Atmos system with a good sub, get one, just for this disc.

As far as other movies go, I also thought the launch sequence in First Man was pretty good. But the launch sequences in Journey to Space are still better because First Man has dramatic music accompanying the launch but the launches in Journey to Space do not.
post #18 of 19 Old Yesterday, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by surroundsound99 View Post
Did you play Journey to Space in 4K or 3D? With all due respect, grab that disc out of the trash or buy another one...play the launch of the Space Shuttle Columbia again (at around 7:00 or so) ... THIS TIME PLAY THE 4K DISC SO YOU GET DOLBY ATMOS... AND CRANK IT UP... WOW!! Yes, the script writing and storytelling on this disc are not great but who cares!! The launch sequence alone is worth every penny of the $15 this disc is currently going for, all day long. Plus there are two other launch sequences on this disc almost as good as the first one! These are my new demo clips. Amazing! If you don't have an Atmos system with a good sub, get one, just for this disc.

As far as other movies go, I also thought the launch sequence in First Man was pretty good. But the launch sequences in Journey to Space are still better because First Man has dramatic music accompanying the launch but the launches in Journey to Space do not.
Dont quote me on this its been a while but i think what upset me was the space shuttle scenes where basically the same from hubble 3d? And then everything was cropped into a letter box in the middle of the screen like if i was in 5th grade watching a documentary... lol

Anyhow i saw Apollo 11 like 10 times that was absolutely insane.. I do have atmos so im will to go and buy journey to space in 4k its pretty cheap now..
post #19 of 19 Old Today, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Dont quote me on this its been a while but i think what upset me was the space shuttle scenes where basically the same from hubble 3d? And then everything was cropped into a letter box in the middle of the screen like if i was in 5th grade watching a documentary... lol

Anyhow i saw Apollo 11 like 10 times that was absolutely insane.. I do have atmos so im will to go and buy journey to space in 4k its pretty cheap now..
Yes they used footage from several previous IMAX movies. During the credits they list them. From memory, Hubble 3D was one of them as you said. Some of them were out of print, like Mission to Mir. So yes that was disappointing that they recycled alot of material.

I don't know if you remember but in the very beginning of the movie they show the Space Shuttle Endeavor being transported to it's new home at the California Science Center (CSC.) Well we visited there last year so I saw the Shuttle and the Shuttle's fuel tank in person, so when I watched Journey to Space and that was the first scene, it was pretty cool, it was a total surprise to see that footage. Also at the CSC, they have the Toyota truck which was towing the Shuttle there too, and since I work for Toyota, that was pretty cool to see it on display. If you ever have a chance to see one of the Shuttles you should if you haven't already.

That's great that you plan on buying Journey to Space again! Enjoy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Content

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page