Captain EO (Disney) 3D... will it ever be released on home video? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By MirTech
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 10-28-2019, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
impetigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,270
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Captain EO (Disney) 3D... will it ever be released on home video?

Will it ever be released? It's the #1 movie I want to own on 3D, even if it's under 20 minutes long. Luckily I saw it at Disneyland in 2013 when they brought it back for a couple years but would love to show it to my kids and see it again myself. Who owns the rights to this, just Disney or does Jackson's estate have some rights to it also?

VIDEO: Epson 5040UB | Sony 65X900A | Sony 55X900A | Samsung UN40H5500
MEDIA: Oppo UDP 203 | Oppo BDP 103 | Apple TV | Nintendo Switch
RECEIVER: Yamaha Aventage RX-A820
AUDIO: Monitor Audio Silver 100 (front), Monitor Audio Silver C350 (center), Monitor Audio Shadow 25 (rear), Rythmik L22 (sub)
impetigo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 10-30-2019, 01:01 AM
Preditor
 
Jet-X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,509
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by impetigo View Post
Will it ever be released? It's the #1 movie I want to own on 3D, even if it's under 20 minutes long. Luckily I saw it at Disneyland in 2013 when they brought it back for a couple years but would love to show it to my kids and see it again myself. Who owns the rights to this, just Disney or does Jackson's estate have some rights to it also?
Both Disney and Jackson for the music. You will never see this released. Ever.

2013 was nice, but was missing a number of the theatrical effects from the original presentation (e.g. spotlight and some laser effects). It was only in last 10 or so years that “We are here to change the world” got a release on Jackson’s Anthology box set.

Bummer, I’m a fan too.
Jet-X is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 10-31-2019, 02:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
impetigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,270
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet-X View Post
Both Disney and Jackson for the music. You will never see this released. Ever.

2013 was nice, but was missing a number of the theatrical effects from the original presentation (e.g. spotlight and some laser effects). It was only in last 10 or so years that “We are here to change the world” got a release on Jackson’s Anthology box set.

Bummer, I’m a fan too.
Such a bummer! Cool that the song was released officially at some point. Oh well, at least they have the full "movie" on YouTube in reasonable, albeit 2D, quality.

Would be so awesome to get a 3D HD release someday but I guess I'll stop waiting for that one.

VIDEO: Epson 5040UB | Sony 65X900A | Sony 55X900A | Samsung UN40H5500
MEDIA: Oppo UDP 203 | Oppo BDP 103 | Apple TV | Nintendo Switch
RECEIVER: Yamaha Aventage RX-A820
AUDIO: Monitor Audio Silver 100 (front), Monitor Audio Silver C350 (center), Monitor Audio Shadow 25 (rear), Rythmik L22 (sub)
impetigo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 7 Old 11-01-2019, 01:21 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I was fortunate to see this in 2013 at Walt Disney World as well. Didnt know much about it but randomly walked by and decided to check it out. It was a great 3d short.

Muppet Vision 3d was always the 3d Park Disney Short i would like to Own. It was the first 3d experience i ever had and it blew my mind in 1993.

I always thought it would be cool if Disney released a 3d Bluray of all of their park attraction 3d shorts.

It would have Captain EO, Muppet Vision, Tough to be a Bug, Honey we Shrunk the Audience. Maybe others that i am forgetting.
MarkyM likes this.
MirTech is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 11-04-2019, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
impetigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,270
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by MirTech View Post
I was fortunate to see this in 2013 at Walt Disney World as well. Didnt know much about it but randomly walked by and decided to check it out. It was a great 3d short.

Muppet Vision 3d was always the 3d Park Disney Short i would like to Own. It was the first 3d experience i ever had and it blew my mind in 1993.

I always thought it would be cool if Disney released a 3d Bluray of all of their park attraction 3d shorts.

It would have Captain EO, Muppet Vision, Tough to be a Bug, Honey we Shrunk the Audience. Maybe others that i am forgetting.
Glad you got to see what the "hype" was about in 2013! I saw it when it came out in the mid-late 80s when I was a kid and loved it but didn't see it again until 2013 when I took my wife and kid to Disneyland and was amazed to see it had returned. Saw it twice then I think and good thing since that was the last time.

Would love to see a 3D blu-ray of Disney 3D shorts or other videos, such as their "Circle Vision" movie about America that was awesome (although shot on 360 degree cameras so would be difficult to put on home video).

VIDEO: Epson 5040UB | Sony 65X900A | Sony 55X900A | Samsung UN40H5500
MEDIA: Oppo UDP 203 | Oppo BDP 103 | Apple TV | Nintendo Switch
RECEIVER: Yamaha Aventage RX-A820
AUDIO: Monitor Audio Silver 100 (front), Monitor Audio Silver C350 (center), Monitor Audio Shadow 25 (rear), Rythmik L22 (sub)
impetigo is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 11-05-2019, 12:53 AM
Advanced Member
 
The_Nephilim1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: New Jersey USA
Posts: 961
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I seen it at Disney world in 1991-92? I don't remember it but I do remember thinking the 3D was amazing as it was the first I had ever seen.. I would like to see it released why is it they may never release it?

My Humble HT: Integra 40.3 Audyssey Calibrated / Denon 1930Ci SACD/DVD-A Player / Sony 3600 3D blu Ray / Behringer iNuke 3000DSP / Mach 5 IXL 18.4 Subwoofer / Optoma HD142x 3D REady 1080P DLP Projector / 92" 16:9 Manual screen / miniDSP HD2x4
The_Nephilim1 is online now  
post #7 of 7 Old 11-05-2019, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
impetigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,270
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Nephilim1 View Post
I seen it at Disney world in 1991-92? I don't remember it but I do remember thinking the 3D was amazing as it was the first I had ever seen.. I would like to see it released why is it they may never release it?
Yep, it was and is pretty awesome. When I saw it in 2013 it was just as fun as when I saw it as a kid at Disneyland. It's the complicated rights as mentioned by someone above I would guess is the main reason, but also things like the Michael Jackson pedophilia concern, likely lack of profitability of releasing it (I would guess), etc. Hope they will at least bring it back once in a while at the Disney parks, and at least there are versions you can watch online so you can at least remember what it was like.

VIDEO: Epson 5040UB | Sony 65X900A | Sony 55X900A | Samsung UN40H5500
MEDIA: Oppo UDP 203 | Oppo BDP 103 | Apple TV | Nintendo Switch
RECEIVER: Yamaha Aventage RX-A820
AUDIO: Monitor Audio Silver 100 (front), Monitor Audio Silver C350 (center), Monitor Audio Shadow 25 (rear), Rythmik L22 (sub)
impetigo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply 3D Content

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off