• 2 Post By bjones8103

post #1 of 21 Old 01-20-2020, 02:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1296 Post(s)
Liked: 545
2020 3D Release Schedule

2020 Looking very thin for 3D. Hopefully, there's some I missed or some get added later.

2020 Release Schedule: (US Release Dates)

Onward (March 6, 2020) 3D confirmed
Mulan (March 27, 2020) 3D confirmed
Trolls World Tour (April 17, 2020) 3D confirmed
Marvel's Black Widow (May 1, 2020) 3D confirmed
Scoob! (May 16, 2020) 3D unconfirmed
The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge on the Run (May 22, 2020) 3D confirmed Paramount Pictures (no Blu ray 3D??? sad)
Artemis Fowl (May 29, 2020) 3D confirmed
Wonder Woman: 1984 (June 5, 2020) 3D confirmed
Soul (June 19, 2020) Pixar Films Not indicating 3D at this time but usually 3D
Minions: The Rise of Gru (July 3, 2020) 3D confirmed
Marvel's Morbius (July 31, 2020) 3D unconfirmed
Starbright (September 25, 2020) showing 3D on IMDB
Godzilla vs. Kong (November 20, 2020) 3D confirmed
Marvel's The Eternals (November 20, 2020) 3D unconfirmed
Disney's Raya and the Last Dragon (November 25, 2020) 3D unconfirmed
Dune (December 18, 2020) 3D confirmed
The Croods 2 (December 23, 2020) 3D unconfirmed

Unconfirmed and confirmed NOT 3D titles in bold:

Sonic the Hedgehog (February 14, 2020) no 3D should have been 3D
DC's Birds of Prey (February 7, 2020) No 3D release should have been 3D
Disney's Jungle Cruise (July 24, 2020)
Ghostbusters: Afterlife (July 10, 2020) prev. film was 3D
Wish Dragon (3D???) No date set 3D unconfirmed
Top Gun: Maverick no 3D should have been 3D.

—updated list, 3D/NOT 3D confirmed movies now in bold. These are pretty much guaranteed to be 3D or not, other titles I'm leaving in main list until more info is released or trailers. Minions trailer shows 3D, so now confirmed.

Only 10 films so far as guaranteed 3D. Major drop in 3D releases this year.
dew42, noob00224 and bjones8103 like this.

This line intentionally left blank.

Last edited by tomtastic; 02-06-2020 at 05:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 01-20-2020, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Sad list in my opinion. Wonder women, Godzilla, Spongebob (my daughter loves) and possibly Dune are buys. Ghostbuster this time around looks to be good but may or may not be 3d so i would get a 4k version if not 3d and I admit that some titles I know nothing about.

I am just hoping that 3d hangs in there with enough content to make it until the next iteration of 3d pops up and hopefully current stuff will be compatible.

Lg G6
Oppo 203, Ps4Pro
Emotiva, XMC-1 V3, Xpa-2, Xpa-5
PSA V1801
Airmotiv T2(front), C2(Center), T1(surrounds), E1(surround backs)
post #3 of 21 Old 01-20-2020, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

2020 lacks any big tent pole films. No Avengers movie or Star Wars releasing though SW 9 is mostly running into 2020, still it's not making as much as they thought. No Avatar until next year. Marvel movies, seems like they've run out of ideas, having to bring out anything at this point from the backlog of characters. Superhero movies seem all the same to me anyhow. They all follow very similar concepts. (I've got a special ability, but I have to overcome some internal challenge so I can save the world). There's a lack of originality, how many times can we release the same thing and expect people to pay up?

New Mutants, next X-Men film, but it's not 3D, like Dark Phoenix. I think the X-Men franchise is dead at this point. I have zero interest in New Mutants. Birds of Prey, DC film and follow-up to Suicide Squad. I recently rewatched all the DC films. I have to say they're all pretty bad. Suicide Squad, Harley is just a crazy girl with a bat, is that about it? Justice League, I couldn't remember even watching the movie before, it wasn't until about halfway through I realized I had seen it. Wonder Women was decent, but predictable. Aqua Man, just watched that one again last night. I don't know what to say about that one. Watching Shazam! tonight.

Added "Soul" summer Pixar film, hopefully 3D.

Remember when we had 3D movies that weren't superhero or animated films? Really longing for something like "The Martian", or "Gravity". Maybe Dune, but not until end of year. Never got into the original movie.

Last edited by tomtastic; 01-20-2020 at 11:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 01-20-2020, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
2020 lacks any big tent pole films. No Avengers movie or Star Wars releasing though SW 9 is mostly running into 2020, still it's not making as much as they thought. No Avatar until next year. Marvel movies, seems like they've run out of ideas, having to bring out anything at this point from the backlog of characters. Superhero movies seem all the same to me anyhow. They all follow very similar concepts. (I've got a special ability, but I have to overcome some internal challenge so I can save the world). There's a lack of originality, how many times can we release the same thing and expect people to pay up?

New Mutants, next X-Men film, but it's not 3D, like Dark Phoenix. I think the X-Men franchise is dead at this point. I have zero interest in New Mutants. Birds of Prey, DC film and follow-up to Suicide Squad. I recently rewatched all the DC films. I have to say they're all pretty bad. Suicide Squad, Harley is just a crazy girl with a bat, is that about it? Justice League, I couldn't remember even watching the movie before, it wasn't until about halfway through I realized I had seen it. Wonder Women was decent, but predictable. Aqua Man, just watched that one again last night. I don't know what to say about that one. Watching Shazam! tonight.

Added "Soul" summer Pixar film, hopefully 3D.

Remember when we had 3D movies that weren't superhero or animated films? Really longing for something like "The Martian", or "Gravity". Maybe Dune, but not until end of year. Never got into the original movie.
Im sorry but i have to agree with you on just about everything in your post. I liked shazam a lot, i enjoyed wonder women (i find Gal Gadot extremely attractive like a lot of men so maybe im biased ), aquaman was very pretty in 3d, but yeah seems like 3d is suffering but so is originality. But i have seen a lot of movies and have a knack for guessing what comes next in a lot of movies now. I did like Joker but not enough to buy it. I guess the good side of all this is saving money
CopyRon, Matt2026 and bjones8103 like this.

Lg G6
Oppo 203, Ps4Pro
PSA V1801
post #5 of 21 Old 01-21-2020, 07:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 175
This list is sponsored by RealD 3D so possibly there is some authenticity. I think this site removes movies from the list on their release date.

http://cms.pro.boxoffice.com/statist...lease-calendar

The Eternals (November 6, 2020)
Raya and the Last Dragon (November 25, 2020)

The list includes Black Widow and The Croods 2 as 3D.
post #6 of 21 Old 01-21-2020, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1117 Post(s)
Liked: 606
That list doesn't include the Avatar series. By the way, there is an official trailer available new for Avatar 2. Found at the bottom of this webpage: https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a7...-cast-trailer/
Matt2026 likes this.
post #7 of 21 Old 01-21-2020, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dew42 View Post
This list is sponsored by RealD 3D so possibly there is some authenticity. I think this site removes movies from the list on their release date.

http://cms.pro.boxoffice.com/statist...lease-calendar

The Eternals (November 6, 2020)
Raya and the Last Dragon (November 25, 2020)

The list includes Black Widow and The Croods 2 as 3D.
I've seen that list and then it was a dead link later, day I posted. I don't know how official that link is. Going to move Black Widow up for now. Usually, the definitive answer is usually Wiki. If it's posted there, it's always been 3D before. Right now, it doesn't show Black Widow as 3D or Birds of Prey for that matter.

post #8 of 21 Old 01-21-2020, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 27743
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob View Post
That list doesn't include the Avatar series. By the way, there is an official trailer available new for Avatar 2. Found at the bottom of this webpage: https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a7...-cast-trailer/
Thanks for the link.

I disagree with something Cameron said, ""The thing that scared me most about making Avatar 2 and Avatar 3 was that the market might have shifted so much that it simply was no longer possible to get people that excited about going and sitting in a dark room with a bunch of strangers to watch something.""

I won't go to the theater not for his reason, well yes in part for that reason but it's because IMO too many people today are just plain self centered jerks and can't go a couple of hours with their cell phone turned off Second, no kids should be in there if they can't sit and watch the movie without kicking the back of the seat in front of them, which only happens due to the parents sitting with them. Oh yeah, how about saving their conversations for after the movie!

Rant over. I hope to enjoy the movies in 3D at home
post #9 of 21 Old 01-21-2020, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1117 Post(s)
Liked: 606
When I saw Avatar 1 back in 2009, the theater for full, every seat was taken. There were few children, mostly adults and no phones on. It was a real delight. Today is so much different. Theaters now will serve whole dinners in boxes, and it's just god awful watching someone next to you jockeying a big cardboard carton with chicken fingers and dunking them in a pot of slime, shoving them in their mouth and then licking the fingers and wiping their hands on their pants. Seriously. And then about 1/3 will have their phones on lighting up their faces, with some talking, etc. The Marvel movies are successful, because they are so loud and engaging that there isn't a lot of quiet dialogue that gets lost when someone in front or behind you is talking. And recently we went to a 2D movie where a lot of high schoolers attended and many girls had these huge hair buns on their heads blocking the view of people behind them--what's up with that?
Matt2026 likes this.
post #10 of 21 Old 01-21-2020, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2026 View Post
Thanks for the link.

I disagree with something Cameron said, ""The thing that scared me most about making Avatar 2 and Avatar 3 was that the market might have shifted so much that it simply was no longer possible to get people that excited about going and sitting in a dark room with a bunch of strangers to watch something.""

I won't go to the theater not for his reason, well yes in part for that reason but it's because IMO too many people today are just plain self centered jerks and can't go a couple of hours with their cell phone turned off Second, no kids should be in there if they can't sit and watch the movie without kicking the back of the seat in front of them, which only happens due to the parents sitting with them. Oh yeah, how about saving their conversations for after the movie!

Rant over. I hope to enjoy the movies in 3D at home
Quote:
When I saw Avatar 1 back in 2009, the theater for full, every seat was taken. There were few children, mostly adults and no phones on. It was a real delight. Today is so much different. Theaters now will serve whole dinners in boxes, and it's just god awful watching someone next to you jockeying a big cardboard carton with chicken fingers and dunking them in a pot of slime, shoving them in their mouth and then licking the fingers and wiping their hands on their pants. Seriously. And then about 1/3 will have their phones on lighting up their faces, with some talking, etc. The Marvel movies are successful, because they are so loud and engaging that there isn't a lot of quiet dialogue that gets lost when someone in front or behind you is talking. And recently we went to a 2D movie where a lot of high schoolers attended and many girls had these huge hair buns on their heads blocking the view of people behind them--what's up with that?
All these are some of the reasons that ive invested as much as i could afford in my little home theater room. I want that movie experience but not the movie experience of today.
Matt2026 likes this.

Lg G6
Oppo 203, Ps4Pro
PSA V1801
post #11 of 21 Old 01-23-2020, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 2194 Post(s)
Liked: 2408
Quote:
Official Trailer 😀
post #12 of 21 Old 01-25-2020, 01:35 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by krauley View Post
All these are some of the reasons that ive invested as much as i could afford in my little home theater room. I want that movie experience but not the movie experience of today.
These are the reasons I own 2300+ dvd/ bluray movies of which 200 are 3D, along with projectors in 3 rooms in a small 900 sq ft house. One of the few perks of getting old, is I can set down and watch a movie from a few years ago and it's like I've never seen it. I seem to enjoy movies much more now than I did when I started collecting them some 30+ years ago. At this point of my life, it's one of the best investments I've made.
Matt2026 and krauley like this.

Last edited by bjones8103; 01-25-2020 at 01:38 PM.
post #13 of 21 Old 01-25-2020, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones8103 View Post
These are the reasons I own 2300+ dvd/ bluray movies of which 200 are 3D, along with projectors in 3 rooms in a small 900 sq ft house. One of the few perks of getting old, is I can set down and watch a movie from a few years ago and it's like I've never seen it. I seem to enjoy movies much more now than I did when I started collecting them some 30+ years ago. At this point of my life, it's one of the best investments I've made.
I cannot hold a candle to your 2300+ discs but i do have a good bit invested and when i think of the money ive spent it seems excessive. But as long as i have access to my discs i will always have entertainment available. Also i cant stand commercials so i would rather invest my time in a movie than network tv. I have only started collecting around the beginning of the latest 3d tv arrival. In fact i bought nearly a quarter of my 108 3d titles before i ever owned a 3d tv. I knew at some point that for the investment to pay off i would have to actually buy a 3d tv to watch the movies.

Lg G6
Oppo 203, Ps4Pro
PSA V1801
post #14 of 21 Old 01-25-2020, 08:39 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by krauley View Post
I cannot hold a candle to your 2300+ discs but i do have a good bit invested and when i think of the money ive spent it seems excessive. But as long as i have access to my discs i will always have entertainment available. Also i cant stand commercials so i would rather invest my time in a movie than network tv. I have only started collecting around the beginning of the latest 3d tv arrival. In fact i bought nearly a quarter of my 108 3d titles before i ever owned a 3d tv. I knew at some point that for the investment to pay off i would have to actually buy a 3d tv to watch the movies.
I never watch network TV. I have three 3D TVs, the newest of which is about 7 years old. I've gone to watching movies, especially 3d movies, with a projector and a 100" screen and the TVs very seldom get turned on.
post #15 of 21 Old 01-29-2020, 01:39 AM
Advanced Member

Some confirmations:

Onward in 3D March 6
Mulan in 3D March 27
Trolls World Tour in 3D April 17
Black Widow in 3D May 1

https://www.reald.com/reald3d
post #16 of 21 Old 01-29-2020, 04:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Since the list only covers US releases it means that Frozen II will not see a 3D Blu-ray release in the US?

Sorry to hear that, the German 3D Blu-ray release is set for March 26, my daughter can hardly await it.

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde
post #17 of 21 Old 01-29-2020, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank714 View Post
Since the list only covers US releases it means that Frozen II will not see a 3D Blu-ray release in the US?

Sorry to hear that, the German 3D Blu-ray release is set for March 26, my daughter can hardly await it.
Original Frozen didn't get a US release either. That was about the time Disney ended US Blu ray 3D distribution.

post #18 of 21 Old 01-30-2020, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 136
when is Maleficent Mistress of Evil coming out? i saw it in 2D the other night and the picture quality was super good. it was almost like watching 3D in some scenes.
post #19 of 21 Old 01-30-2020, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
Original Frozen didn't get a US release either. That was about the time Disney ended US Blu ray 3D distribution.

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde
post #20 of 21 Old 01-30-2020, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubadub View Post
when is Maleficent Mistress of Evil coming out? i saw it in 2D the other night and the picture quality was super good. it was almost like watching 3D in some scenes.
February 17, 2020 (UK 3D Blu-ray)

See the Maleficent: Mistress of Evil 3D thread.
post #21 of 21 Old 02-06-2020, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Updating list, Minions trailers show 3D. Dropping Sonic the Hedgehog, animated movie but no 3D mentioned, looks to be added to 2020 Wikipedia list by mistake. I have a feeling Scoob! isn't 3D either. Definitely starting to see more and more films that would have been 3D a few years ago but not getting the 3D treatment now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Content

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page