• 1 Post By dgk

post #1 of 13 Old 05-15-2020, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter
dgk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Worst 3D movie

After setting up for 3D at a theater I sort of run, and then setting one up in my home, I embarked on buying lots of 3D Blu Rays. I've watched a lot of good and not so good movies and have loads more to watch. But the other day I watched Metalstorm, The Destruction of Jared-Syn. Some of the 3D was fine, but all through the film were strange and painful 3D scenes where you simply couldn't focus and had to close one eye.

It wasn't just the 3D that was bad though. It takes place on some alien world, where the main character is trying to destroy another lame character. I'm a guy who lives by the motto "the secret to happiness is to have low standards". Still, they weren't low enough. The acting. Hmm. Keeping your eyes wide open to indicate surprise or awe only works if you don't do it through the whole movie. And he was the best actor. The acting example that came closest was those 1960s marionette shows, like Supercar if you remember that. I kept looking for the strings.

Special effects, well, it was a 1983 movie so I didn't expect much, but enough with the laser blasts. He drove what appeared to be the result of a Volkswagen Bug matting with a small Hummer. I guess they couldn't afford a door so the way in and out was via the window. We watched him drive through a camera that must have been duct taped to the dashboard since he and whatever passenger was traveling with him would bounce around like the road was made of rocks. All while his eyes were wide open. Too much coffee maybe. Every time they got back into the car to drive somewhere, back to the dashboard view. Bounce around some more.

He must have been a good driver though since he kept forcing pursuing cars off the road and down a cliff where they burst into flame. Over and over. Well, maybe it was just one car smashing down the cliff over and over. The son of the man he was after would ride shotgun on a car pursuing him. Never doing anything like shooting at him, just standing on the jumpseat. He had an expression on his face but I couldn't tell what it was supposed to convey.

Closed captions. I tend toward deafness so I generally have them on. They usually work ok on 3D movies but sometimes a scene or two will be difficult - particularly in ocean nature specials. That actually wasn't a problem on this movie unless the 3D was just being awful in general, but I could do without "melodramatic orchestral music" or "eerie orchestral music".

I should have turned it off but I just kept watching in horror.

On the other hand, I watched Gods of Egypt tonight. I liked that one and it worked well in 3D. Another unexpectedly good flick was Hansel and Gretel Witch Hunters. It got crappy reviews but I like Marvel type movies and this came pretty close. Hansel is actually Hawkeye from the Avengers. I thought it was funny and the almost non-stop action worked well in 3D. Spoiler alert - I'm not really giving anything away, but you know when they string wire through the trees in the forest that something is going to hit them, and watching the witches on broomsticks explode into gobs of flesh that fly by on both sides of you is using 3D well.

Ok, I read through the "best 3d movie threads", bought many of them, and figured I'd started a worst thread. Have at it.
Postmoderndesign likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-15-2020, 10:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1334 Post(s)
Liked: 588
I have it, but I haven't viewed yet. Had it for I think a few years.

I have quite a few 3D movies I think the worst I have ever seen and this is just judging by the 3D quality is "History of the World in 2 Hours", which was apparently a cheap 2D to 3D conversion from what I could tell. It was awful in 3D. Also, Flight 3D, which wasn't filmed in 3D but merely a 3D push-back of 2D, which looks flat but set-back in screen. Now the film itself was great and music, but it should not have been 3D because it simply wasn't 3D. Those 2 are the worst that I've seen. Again, just by 3D specs not content. I will need to see Metalstorm first but I'd say both of these are worse.

This line intentionally left blank.
post #3 of 13 Old 05-16-2020, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 49
The Last Airbender not only won worst movie of the year, (the year it came out) it also won worst 3D movie. It was almost painful to watch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 05-16-2020, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
dgk

I bought the 3 volume History Channel set of History of the World. I watched the other two, WWII and Titanic. Titanic was a visit on the ocean floor shot in 3D. It is more interesting in 3D, giving more of the layout of the ship, but pretty much a waste of time. I am looking forward to watching the movie since everyone liked that in 3D.

I liked WWII. Apparently the Nazis were fans of 3D and shot a lot of photos and a few short clips in 3D. The Nazi rallies really are intense in 3D, and it's interesting watching them for the first time in 80 years or so.

I guess I'm not looking forward to History of The World in 2 hours. Oddly, are a lot of historical clips in 3D but apparently they didn't have them. I have the two 3D Rarities releases that are supposed to be loving restorations but haven't watched them yet. I did order Lichtmond 1 which broke the bank but if it's as good as they say I'll probably end up with the other three.
post #5 of 13 Old 05-16-2020, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah, that's a good set actually, sans History of the World. My advice, don't bother watching it. I was reading the reviews on Blu ray.com and I remember it was pretty accurate:

Quote:
First and foremost, the 3D experience is inconsistent and riddled with anomalies. CG sequences exhibit welcome depth but interviews, archive footage, and historical reenactments are flat and uninvolving. Aliasing is a frequent offender as well, anomalies present in the 2D encode are only exacerbated in 3D, and viewers with crosstalk-prone 3D displays will notice quite a bit of obvious ghosting.
I think everything was shot in 2D and they did some cheap conversion which is where some of the major issues are visible. I remember the weird aliasing throughout. I don't say this often, but it would be better to watch in 2D. I think it would be hard to find a worse 3D presentation than History of the World in 2 hours.

I, Robot, which used a proprietary JVC conversion software was also not great. But it's not an eyesore, it's mainly just 3D-lite. It has some depth but usually, it just falls flat, again, nothing in the realm of History of the World. There are also a number of films that use the 3D pushback of 2D like Flight, and those i would avoid too because they're just not 3D to begin with. But they don't pose any visual artifacts like History. Nitro Circus, it's got some great 3D in it in parts but not all was shot in 3D and they stick out badly because they use the 3D push back method. it's unfortunate.

post #6 of 13 Old 05-16-2020, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
dgk

Yup, I, Robot was ok. I'm in a 55+ community in Florida and we have a fair number of snowbirds (seasonal residents) so things slow down in the summer and I had figured to put on a 3D film festival over a few weeks. So I have around 12 pairs of glasses of various makes and figured I'd pick a few good movies to watch and have residents buy their own glasses if they wanted to come. I was even going to show a nature special (maybe one of the Attenboro ones) on Earth Day. Of course, Corona put an end to all of those plans. The last thing we need is a bunch of seniors in a theater. The theater and clubhouse were the first things we closed and there's no sign of those opening up any time soon.

So, I have more time to maybe set up a fall 3D film festival.

I haven't even started watching my growing collection of Marvel 3D movies. Oh, not quite true, I did watch the first Guardians of the Galaxy and Wolverine.
post #7 of 13 Old 05-18-2020, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter
dgk

Adding Clash of Titans for dishonorable mention. The plot, action, acting, all ok. Reviews say the original was far better in all those aspects, but it's the 3D that really bothered me. Any bowlers know the term "doublewood", which is when one pin hides another but you can just see it back there. That's how the movie was in parts. Instead of the character being in 3D, it looked like there was someone hiding behind him. It was disconcerting and there were other parts that looked like the background was folded into another dimension.

Anyway, not a very enjoyable experience. I'll wait a few days before watching Wrath of the Titans. Hoping for better, preparing for worse.
post #8 of 13 Old 05-18-2020, 09:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Some of the older conversions don't hold up as well. I've seen it multiple times on my PJ and I think Clash of the Titans is not too bad. On large screen the 3D effect is more noticeable but it doesn't have a lot of depth. I like it more than I, Robot. And I like those two movies. I watch Clash and Wrath back to back usually and in 3D.

post #9 of 13 Old 05-19-2020, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1141 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Gamer 3D with Gerard Butler - Ugh, action, action, action with the worst conversion ever released in 2013.
post #10 of 13 Old 05-19-2020, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
dgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob View Post
Gamer 3D with Gerard Butler - Ugh, action, action, action with the worst conversion ever released in 2013.
Yes, I did watch that one and it wasn't great. Didn't hurt my eyes though.

In fact, by mistake, I ordered two. I tried to be careful but have quite a few duplicates and several from ebay that were supposed to be 3D and didn't include the disk so they just gave me a refund and told me to keep the movie.

I plan on putting all my mistakes together in a lot and selling them on ebay.
post #11 of 13 Old 05-19-2020, 09:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DBob View Post
Really? I just watched that again, other day. I thought it had decent popout and depth. And decent movie.

post #12 of 13 Old 05-26-2020, 07:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 55
American Mummy

Worst I've seen is "American Mummy" (2014). Just aggressively bad. I don't care much for horror films anyway, but this one lacked any redeeming qualities.
post #13 of 13 Old 05-26-2020, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter
dgk

Good, I don't have American Mummy and won't get it.

I did enjoy Wrath Of The Titans. I'll go back and rewatch Clash at some time to see if I like it better.

I found Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and The SpongeBob Movie in 3d at Job Lot the other day - $3 each. I'll have to wait for some kids to come by for those I guess. I have watched some of the animated videos - pets, monster house, and such. They're fun and the 3D is usually great on those.

Job Lot also had World War Z for $5 but I already have that one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Content

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page