1Likes
  • 1 Post By Coercion Shaman

post #1 of 14 Old 11-19-2018, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Sony 65" Z9D or X900F?

Sony 65" Z9D or X900F? I am debating btw the Sony Z9D or X900F both 65". Current pricing is $2,000 for the Z9D and $1,600 for the X900F. I'll be using the tv to watch sports, movies (Blu-ray, Vudu), and streaming content (Youtube and Netflix) and I am not a gamer. Since I watch sports, I was curious if the threads discussing the Z9D's motion handling/blur could pose an issue when watching football, basketball, or soccer games? The tv will be located in my living room which has three windows so it can get bright. I also have Nest security cams and I am curious if the Nest app can be downloaded on either tv to have a live stream on the Tv of the cameras (since they both use Android Tv)? Share any recommendations or concerns! Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-19-2018, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
post #3 of 14 Old 11-20-2018, 04:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Motion was an issue for me, but most say it isn't. Buy one of the Z9D televisions and try it out. Current return for BB is into January, so plenty of time to try it out. The supply will diminish on those now whereas the 900F will still be available. If it is a problem, take it back and get a 900F. Or, if your budget allows, get both and return the one less favorable to you.

I have no idea on the Nest app.

The 900F is no slouch. It is what I went with.

OLED77C9PUB // 5.1 Infinity Reference (RC263 / R263 & R162 / SVS PB-1000) & Denon x1600 // Xbox One X & PS4 Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 11-20-2018, 05:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Have you considered an OLED? Holiday pricing is putting the 65" sets right into your range.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
post #5 of 14 Old 11-20-2018, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coercion Shaman View Post
Motion was an issue for me, but most say it isn't. Buy one of the Z9D televisions and try it out. Current return for BB is into January, so plenty of time to try it out. The supply will diminish on those now whereas the 900F will still be available. If it is a problem, take it back and get a 900F. Or, if your budget allows, get both and return the one less favorable to you.

I have no idea on the Nest app.

The 900F is no slouch. It is what I went with.
I’m in the same boat want the 65z9d but worried about the pixel response, motion smearing. I saw the smearing on a 2016 demo...many others dont see it but to my eyes it is significant...had hoped sony improved the 2018 65z9d builds? The 900F is the second choice. Ive compared on rtings and as they said the 900F is a top choice for features/price. Can you comment more specifically on your z9d observed motion issues and your comparisons between the z9d and 900f?
post #6 of 14 Old 11-20-2018, 11:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 24
The 900f has very bad blooming some people are ok with this but if you dislike blooming you will have some issues.
post #7 of 14 Old 11-20-2018, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by techvader View Post
The 900f has very bad blooming some people are ok with this but if you dislike blooming you will have some issues.
Blooming is only an issue for HDR content, and that is dependent on the sceen. For SDR and OTA or Cable tv, there is no more blooming on the X900F than any other 4K TV out there.

@ 65" for the same price I would get the Z9D, see if you like it and if not return it for the X900F. @ 75" I would take the X900F at hafe the price of the Z9D and spend the leftover $$$ on a quality receiver.

IMO of course

Sony 75X900F / MediaLight Quad 6500K
Sony X800
Denon X4400H / Outlaw 5000 (5.2.4 Atmos) AIRCOM T9
Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, Klipsch RS-52 II, Klipsch RP-500SA
SVS PB-3000 x2
post #8 of 14 Old 11-20-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptinCrunch View Post
Blooming is only an issue for HDR content, and that is dependent on the sceen. For SDR and OTA or Cable tv, there is no more blooming on the X900F than any other 4K TV out there.

@ 65" for the same price I would get the Z9D, see if you like it and if not return it for the X900F. @ 75" I would take the X900F at hafe the price of the Z9D and spend the leftover $$$ on a quality receiver.

IMO of course
That is simply not true the q8 and q9fn has almost no blooming compared to other tvs out there, if you dont believe the youtube vidoes and reviews that states this fact then go to a store with some video content and check it out yourself.
post #9 of 14 Old 11-20-2018, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
That is simply not true the q8 and q9fn has almost no blooming compared to other tvs out there, if you dont believe the youtube vidoes and reviews that states this fact then go to a store with some video content and check it out yourself.
My brother has the 65" Q9, and yes the blooming very minimal, but the over aggerssive ABL crushes the hell out of fine detail in dark sceens, and the ETOF makes dialing the color in a royal PITA. Some sceens look natural and spot on, while others are over saturated, and red pushes to hard.

I would still take the X900F over the Q's

Sony 75X900F / MediaLight Quad 6500K
Sony X800
Denon X4400H / Outlaw 5000 (5.2.4 Atmos) AIRCOM T9
Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, Klipsch RS-52 II, Klipsch RP-500SA
SVS PB-3000 x2
post #10 of 14 Old 11-20-2018, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 176
A friend of mine actually chose the X900F because Rtings scored it slightly higher for its Grey uniformity/DSE. For him this was a deal breaker since he and his wife watch a lot of hockey. He couldn't see the value in everything else it does better than the X900F like it's amazing 646 zone local dimming. My 65" had some dark spots and a little DSE but I was able to clear most of it using the technique I describe in the 65" Z9D thread. It's now nearly perfect.

Edit: I see no issues with pixel response/smearing in my picture. It could be that I'm not sensitive to it but to me it looks great.

Last edited by dlbsyst; 11-20-2018 at 03:00 PM.
post #11 of 14 Old 11-26-2018, 03:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC333 View Post
I’m in the same boat want the 65z9d but worried about the pixel response, motion smearing. I saw the smearing on a 2016 demo...many others dont see it but to my eyes it is significant...had hoped sony improved the 2018 65z9d builds? The 900F is the second choice. Ive compared on rtings and as they said the 900F is a top choice for features/price. Can you comment more specifically on your z9d observed motion issues and your comparisons between the z9d and 900f?

Apologies as I was out of town for the holiday.

I could see faint trails, especially in gaming. In normal content, I could see it in sports and in movies/shows that had a very light object against another I could see smearing with movement (sort of a fuzzy effect where it should have been clear). But I game regularly so that was a no go for me. I watched a fair bit at the store and couldn't quite decide. Then I found someone I know has one and was able to better play around with it. He doesn't really see it at all. As others have stated, some just aren't sensitive to it, I guess. I was careful to not highlight it to him. I told him if he didn't see what I did and was happy to leave it at that.

The 900F does have blooming as others have noted. I am never in total darkness, though, as it bothers my wife's eyes. That minimizes the blooming tremendously. Off axis, however, is somewhat pronounced. It is only she and I, though, and that isn't a problem for us.
BC333 likes this.
post #12 of 14 Old 11-26-2018, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coercion Shaman View Post
Apologies as I was out of town for the holiday.

I could see faint trails, especially in gaming. In normal content, I could see it in sports and in movies/shows that had a very light object against another I could see smearing with movement (sort of a fuzzy effect where it should have been clear). But I game regularly so that was a no go for me. I watched a fair bit at the store and couldn't quite decide. Then I found someone I know has one and was able to better play around with it. He doesn't really see it at all. As others have stated, some just aren't sensitive to it, I guess. I was careful to not highlight it to him. I told him if he didn't see what I did and was happy to leave it at that.

The 900F does have blooming as others have noted. I am never in total darkness, though, as it bothers my wife's eyes. That minimizes the blooming tremendously. Off axis, however, is somewhat pronounced. It is only she and I, though, and that isn't a problem for us.
Thanks, great reply...nice to know some else had the same observations...guess ill just let the z9d go and look at the 900F or Z9F (after more reviews are in) wish I did not see the smearing but I do and for me it would also distract from the viewing experience.
post #13 of 14 Old 11-26-2018, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
YMMV.

I mostly watch HDR/DV content on Netflix and I haven't experienced any noticeable blooming at all.

The biggest gripe is that off-angle, the contrast degrades significantly. But, I knew that going into it. Unless you can afford an OLED, off-angle viewing is going to be a problem. The only time this is an issue is when we have to entertain guests, so *shrug*

Last edited by knightofdight; 11-26-2018 at 12:50 PM.
post #14 of 14 Old 11-26-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightofdight View Post
YMMV.

I mostly watch HDR/DV content on Netflix and I haven't experienced any noticeable blooming at all.

The biggest gripe is that off-angle, the contrast degrades significantly. But, I knew that going into it. Unless you can afford an OLED, off-angle viewing is going to be a problem. The only time this is an issue is when we have to entertain guests, so *shrug*
Very strange you must be the exception because everybody I know who has the tv complained about blooming in hdr and I have seen reviews talk about it also, according to what I read the 900f has more blooming than last year model the 900e.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Great Found Deals!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page