• 1 Post By p3trol_h3ad

post #1 of 6 Old 09-20-2019, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 94
85" X900F $2799 @greentoe

Word on the street. If only Dolby Vision wasn't still a disaster on these.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-20-2019, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 151
How is it a disaster? All you need is a Sony Blu-ray player for films... and I'm pretty sure Apple TV 4K DV works just fine...

Sony MASTER Series | harman/kardon AVR | Klipsch Reference Premiere | KEF UniQ | PlayStation | Mohu Leaf | Hue Play | MediaLight | logitech Harmony | CyberPower PFC UPS
post #3 of 6 Old 09-20-2019, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3trol_h3ad View Post
How is it a disaster? All you need is a Sony Blu-ray player for films... and I'm pretty sure Apple TV 4K DV works just fine...
The only DV content I watch is Netflix and Amazon. From what I hear DV is still not working correctly using the built in apps, and I have no interest in working around it with an external solution. (Not even sure how that works...so DV is good through HDMI but not if the source is internal?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 09-20-2019, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Ah, gotcha. Honestly, I don't use built-in apps and and never plan to. My TV is there to display, only, and I find distinct components to typically work better than "all in one" devices. I enjoy not connecting my TV to the internet, heh. To each his own.

I wonder what the issue is. It could simply have to do with the TV's "smart-computer's" limited processing power. The old SoC, which is found in the X900F, wasn't super powerful, which is why the menu's lag, etc. It might have a hard time processing the DV content? Or maybe it something else...?
Nicktx27 likes this.

Sony MASTER Series | harman/kardon AVR | Klipsch Reference Premiere | KEF UniQ | PlayStation | Mohu Leaf | Hue Play | MediaLight | logitech Harmony | CyberPower PFC UPS
post #5 of 6 Old 09-20-2019, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I can't figure out if Dolby Vision on an external device can work on a TV that doesn't support it (Samsung), or supports it poorly?
post #6 of 6 Old 09-23-2019, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

I think it just doesn't work at all. But there are different forms of HDR, so while you can't view the DV version, you can still view the HDR10 or HDR10+ version. To me, this doesn't really matter, but some care. HDR is HDR to most of us. The most discerning might be able to see a difference, though. For now, I don't think it's an issue because they're all still around, and, more or less, coexisting. That said, if, say, HDR10+ goes the way of the HD-DVD, and DV "wins" like blu-ray did, then it could matter. BUT, because we are talking about digital data and not physical media like we were with the discs, I think there is a better chance that different formats can live side-by-side this time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Great Found Deals!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page