Hisense 55R7F? Anybody know about it? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By audio.hobby
  • 1 Post By audio.hobby

post #1 of 8 Old 03-25-2020, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hisense 55R7F? Anybody know about it?

TV by the pool died the other day. Looking to get a replacement unit that won't break the bank. Found a great deal on a Hisense 55" R7F that can be had for less than 350 otd with a 5 year extended warranty.

Website claims 4k, HDR-10, full array, and Roku to boot!! Just wondering if anybody out there has one or has any experience with one. Hisense cs claims that it is only a step below the 8F series and very similar just minus some goodies. I suspect that would be DV, Local dimming and probably peak brightness. But for the screened in area I was willing to roll the dice especially since the 5 years extended is thrown in for only 50...at Brandsmart...so it is more like Geek squad and not square trade.

What do you all think?

I was also looking at the LG 7300 with its IPS panel but it is a bit more right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-27-2020, 07:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Pretty sure this should go in the main LCD forum and not the deals portion. Anyway...

R7F...tough to say how this measures up against the H8F but it does seem like a simplified version with fewer HDMI, Roku instead of Android, and no LD or DV... However that might be too much an assumption as well as this doesn't carry the "ULED" tradename either, while the H8F does.

$350 with the tax and warranty doesn't sound bad. Looks like these routinely sell for $279 US at Best Buy (and is that price right now). TBH the H8F is a great TV and the 55" has sold in the States as low as $350 at Best Buy and slightly less at BJ's, so if you can get wait for a similar deal to pop up I'd recommend going with it.

I recently compared a different Hisense set (one you guys don't get in US) with quantum dot and a higher model name/series than the H8F/H8809 and on-paper the mentioned set is supposed to be better except the LD on it (which is not nearly as good as the H8F), but in reality the H8F was better in practically every way. The price was good on the other set ($500 CAD) but I'm returning it as the H8F is definitely the better TV. It actually ended up costing me slightly less money for the H8F but if I had bought it here (H8809) it would have cost $50 or so more, and I'd say it's well worth the extra money.

Anyway my thought on this is you're probably not going to beat the price on the R7F easily at the moment. If it's for a primary TV, you might want to consider stepping up to the H8F (or even waiting for the H8G which should be along in a month or two, but will be a good bit more pricey to start I'm sure). But if it's for a secondary TV in a second room, bedroom, etc., then might as well go with the deal you have now. You also didn't state your main viewing/use--is it TV, movies, sports, gaming...?

As a final note, I'd stay away from IPS for televisions unless you really need to be able to see it well at an angle. That's really the only TV-use advantage of IPS--the viewing angle. It's also more durable/rugged but that's really not a concern for indoor TV use. It's good for stuff like PC monitors, phone screens, tablets, but TVs it is not a good idea due to the really poor contrast they have.
post #3 of 8 Old 03-28-2020, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_Revenge View Post
Pretty sure this should go in the main LCD forum and not the deals portion. Anyway...

R7F...tough to say how this measures up against the H8F but it does seem like a simplified version with fewer HDMI, Roku instead of Android, and no LD or DV... However that might be too much an assumption as well as this doesn't carry the "ULED" tradename either, while the H8F does.

$350 with the tax and warranty doesn't sound bad. Looks like these routinely sell for $279 US at Best Buy (and is that price right now). TBH the H8F is a great TV and the 55" has sold in the States as low as $350 at Best Buy and slightly less at BJ's, so if you can get wait for a similar deal to pop up I'd recommend going with it.

I recently compared a different Hisense set (one you guys don't get in US) with quantum dot and a higher model name/series than the H8F/H8809 and on-paper the mentioned set is supposed to be better except the LD on it (which is not nearly as good as the H8F), but in reality the H8F was better in practically every way. The price was good on the other set ($500 CAD) but I'm returning it as the H8F is definitely the better TV. It actually ended up costing me slightly less money for the H8F but if I had bought it here (H8809) it would have cost $50 or so more, and I'd say it's well worth the extra money.

Anyway my thought on this is you're probably not going to beat the price on the R7F easily at the moment. If it's for a primary TV, you might want to consider stepping up to the H8F (or even waiting for the H8G which should be along in a month or two, but will be a good bit more pricey to start I'm sure). But if it's for a secondary TV in a second room, bedroom, etc., then might as well go with the deal you have now. You also didn't state your main viewing/use--is it TV, movies, sports, gaming...?

As a final note, I'd stay away from IPS for televisions unless you really need to be able to see it well at an angle. That's really the only TV-use advantage of IPS--the viewing angle. It's also more durable/rugged but that's really not a concern for indoor TV use. It's good for stuff like PC monitors, phone screens, tablets, but TVs it is not a good idea due to the really poor contrast they have.
Thanks for all of those details. The 7 series at Best Buy is a 7E not a 7F. Since you seem to be so well informed and a moderator moved my original post to this area I would like to get your opinion for a 55/65 set for the master bedroom.

The headboard is about 11 feet away from a wall mounted spot where I have a Vizio M658-G1. This set replaces a TCL 65" 613 that had some DSE along with other problems, which replaced a Samsung 50" that now resides out by the pool.
Both the Vizio and TCL were purchased at Costco for $499 that comes with 7 years of warranty for $34.99 (2yrs. front and back end by Costco and 3 in between by Square Trade).

While the TCL was plenty bright the Vizio is lacking in that area. The Vizio, being a quantum, has better colors and does HDR 10+ along with Dolby Vision. The problem is that in the Fall I purchased a 75" Sony 950G for the family room that in a word is Incredible. And now when watching similar programming on both I see a huge difference between them. Funny thing is that I did not notice this before when I had the old 50" Samsung. Is it that I am now being more critical, I do not know. But I am new to the 4k scene and do really enjoy it.

The real problems with the Vizio and TCL for me is dark scenes (like a cave as in Outsider or The 33, or The Walking Dead). You can see the person and then you can see some ghosting around on that scene that is really annoying. Actually if it wasn't for that I would have probably kept the TCL and its DSE. The Vizio has it as well but not to the same degree. It is mostly on 720/1080 that I see that so it may be that their processors are inferior to that Sony. I have attempted self calibration but it does not remove this issue without leaving a haze over the screen.

It can be that I am expecting too much out of a sub $500 tv. Perhaps it would be better to step up to a better TV at a smaller size to keep it in the same ball park.

I mostly watch movies, tv shows, Prime, Netflix, and sports whenever they come back. I did like the Roku interface over Smartcast. I love the android experience on the Sony. Budget would be $499 to about 1k.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 03-28-2020, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio.hobby View Post
Thanks for all of those details. The 7 series at Best Buy is a 7E not a 7F.
Ah yes you are correct. I googled for 55R7F and google brought up the Best Buy link as a hit, but I didn't notice the model# there is actually R7E as you say. R7F sounds quite new then, probably just released recently, similar to the R8F.

Quote:
Since you seem to be so well informed and a moderator moved my original post to this area I would like to get your opinion for a 55/65 set for the master bedroom. The headboard is about 11 feet away from a wall mounted spot where I have a Vizio M658-G1. This set replaces a TCL 65" 613 that had some DSE along with other problems, which replaced a Samsung 50" that now resides out by the pool.
Both the Vizio and TCL were purchased at Costco for $499 that comes with 7 years of warranty for $34.99 (2yrs. front and back end by Costco and 3 in between by Square Trade).

While the TCL was plenty bright the Vizio is lacking in that area. The Vizio, being a quantum, has better colors and does HDR 10+ along with Dolby Vision. The problem is that in the Fall I purchased a 75" Sony 950G for the family room that in a word is Incredible. And now when watching similar programming on both I see a huge difference between them. Funny thing is that I did not notice this before when I had the old 50" Samsung. Is it that I am now being more critical, I do not know. But I am new to the 4k scene and do really enjoy it.
Ha yes things like this are often relative. If one buys the Vizio and it's their only TV (or best TV) they will probably rave about it, but when you put it "beside" something even better, then a different story is told. This is why it's tough to trust reviews on retailer sites that are overly positive or enthusiastic about a product and say what amounts to "OMG I got it home and it is bestest ever" Especially when they have compared it to nothing else--this tends to be the case with a lot of Amazon and Best Buy reviews, for example.

Anyway I'm still quite surprised that you're seeing that much difference between the Vizio and the Sony, because the Vizio you have is the M8--the top M series. It's no slouch of a TV. Still, even if you were comparing the same size, the Vizio might have sold for as low as $500, the Sony 65X950G typically sells for 3x that much. Now cost is not the only factor because Samsung and Sony their lower end offerings are way overpriced, but their higher-end offerings is where they really shine, but yes they are expensive. So comparing a upper-midrange Vizio to a high-end Sony, the difference is still gonna show. The other odd thing though is the Sony has the "X-Wide Angle" filter on it in the 75" size, which means the contrast should be heavily degraded. Still if it looks better, it looks better and it's still a much more expensive TV not just due to size. You can start seeing if you can do anything with the settings on the Vizio to make it better but not much else you can really do there except remember that the Vizio is a [relatively speaking] cheaper TV.

Quote:
The real problems with the Vizio and TCL for me is dark scenes (like a cave as in Outsider or The 33, or The Walking Dead). You can see the person and then you can see some ghosting around on that scene that is really annoying. Actually if it wasn't for that I would have probably kept the TCL and its DSE. The Vizio has it as well but not to the same degree. It is mostly on 720/1080 that I see that so it may be that their processors are inferior to that Sony.
I think you hit the nail on the head there. On these 2nd-tier TVs (some people consider Vizio 1st tier but I think that's a status they've lost now), especially the mid-range offereings, they do an excellent job of doing what they do at the price they sell for, provided you send them native resolution content. At 4K they are really great for the money, but at lower resolutions they don't do so well... For example I have several Sony 1080p sets in the house along with a 4K set; then I have two other 4Ks a 43" TCL 5-series, and a Hisense 55H8F. The last two are fantastic TVs for their price points but yeah if they get anything less than 4K it becomes pretty obvious that even my old-skool Sonys are better at upscaling and processing a lower-than-native-res input. That's kind of a caveat you have to grin about knowing the TV was so much cheaper than an equivalent-market-level Sony or Samsung. Even if you take an X800 series IPS TV from Sony, it's gonna handle the lower resolutions better.

The funny part about upscaling though is lower res gets worse as time goes on it seems. Even my older Sony TVs seem like they do better with "low-res" content like 480i and 720p than do the newer ones. I think it's largely a matter of the companies not bothering to focus on lower res anymore because "no one really watches that stuff anymore anyway"

Only other thing I can think of that may be decreasing the Vizio's apparent quality might be regarding how high you have it mounted and if you're viewing directly or if you have it too high or too far off-centre to get a good view of it (VA panels as mentioned above have poor viewing angles).

Quote:
It can be that I am expecting too much out of a sub $500 tv. Perhaps it would be better to step up to a better TV at a smaller size to keep it in the same ball park.

I mostly watch movies, tv shows, Prime, Netflix, and sports whenever they come back. I did like the Roku interface over Smartcast. I love the android experience on the Sony. Budget would be $499 to about 1k.
Unless it really annoys you, I would probably just keep the Vizio TV in place and learn to live with the "issues" it has with lower-res content. I'm not sure it's worth it to replace a TV that still has some 6 or so years left of warranty because of a few minor picture quality gripes. You're not going to match the Sony unless you buy another X950G or X9xxY series set or similar high-end Samsung, LG, which would be a lot of money for a 65" though you could go with a smaller set.

However I noticed your other thread about using a TV outdoors, so I'm guessing that is what you were talking about with the R7F purchase? I doubt the R7F is going to get as bright as you'd like for outdoor use, plus an IPS is actually better for outdoor use as they are more rugged/durable panels and viewing angle might be more of a concern outside as well, which is where IPS shines. In that case the LG mentioned or a Sony X8xxxY might be a better idea, though these will likely be significantly more expensive than the Hisense.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-28-2020, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Ah yes you are correct. I googled for 55R7F and google brought up the Best Buy link as a hit, but I didn't notice the model# there is actually R7E as you say. R7F sounds quite new then, probably just released recently, similar to the R8F.

Ha yes things like this are often relative. If one buys the Vizio and it's their only TV (or best TV) they will probably rave about it, but when you put it "beside" something even better, then a different story is told. This is why it's tough to trust reviews on retailer sites that are overly positive or enthusiastic about a product and say what amounts to "OMG I got it home and it is bestest ever" Especially when they have compared it to nothing else--this tends to be the case with a lot of Amazon and Best Buy reviews, for example.

Anyway I'm still quite surprised that you're seeing that much difference between the Vizio and the Sony, because the Vizio you have is the M8--the top M series. It's no slouch of a TV. Still, even if you were comparing the same size, the Vizio might have sold for as low as $500, the Sony 65X950G typically sells for 3x that much. Now cost is not the only factor because Samsung and Sony their lower end offerings are way overpriced, but their higher-end offerings is where they really shine, but yes they are expensive. So comparing a upper-midrange Vizio to a high-end Sony, the difference is still gonna show. The other odd thing though is the Sony has the "X-Wide Angle" filter on it in the 75" size, which means the contrast should be heavily degraded. Still if it looks better, it looks better and it's still a much more expensive TV not just due to size. You can start seeing if you can do anything with the settings on the Vizio to make it better but not much else you can really do there except remember that the Vizio is a [relatively speaking] cheaper TV.

I think you hit the nail on the head there. On these 2nd-tier TVs (some people consider Vizio 1st tier but I think that's a status they've lost now), especially the mid-range offereings, they do an excellent job of doing what they do at the price they sell for, provided you send them native resolution content. At 4K they are really great for the money, but at lower resolutions they don't do so well... For example I have several Sony 1080p sets in the house along with a 4K set; then I have two other 4Ks a 43" TCL 5-series, and a Hisense 55H8F. The last two are fantastic TVs for their price points but yeah if they get anything less than 4K it becomes pretty obvious that even my old-skool Sonys are better at upscaling and processing a lower-than-native-res input. That's kind of a caveat you have to grin about knowing the TV was so much cheaper than an equivalent-market-level Sony or Samsung. Even if you take an X800 series IPS TV from Sony, it's gonna handle the lower resolutions better.

The funny part about upscaling though is lower res gets worse as time goes on it seems. Even my older Sony TVs seem like they do better with "low-res" content like 480i and 720p than do the newer ones. I think it's largely a matter of the companies not bothering to focus on lower res anymore because "no one really watches that stuff anymore anyway"

Only other thing I can think of that may be decreasing the Vizio's apparent quality might be regarding how high you have it mounted and if you're viewing directly or if you have it too high or too far off-centre to get a good view of it (VA panels as mentioned above have poor viewing angles).

Unless it really annoys you, I would probably just keep the Vizio TV in place and learn to live with the "issues" it has with lower-res content. I'm not sure it's worth it to replace a TV that still has some 6 or so years left of warranty because of a few minor picture quality gripes. You're not going to match the Sony unless you buy another X950G or X9xxY series set or similar high-end Samsung, LG, which would be a lot of money for a 65" though you could go with a smaller set.

However I noticed your other thread about using a TV outdoors, so I'm guessing that is what you were talking about with the R7F purchase? I doubt the R7F is going to get as bright as you'd like for outdoor use, plus an IPS is actually better for outdoor use as they are more rugged/durable panels and viewing angle might be more of a concern outside as well, which is where IPS shines. In that case the LG mentioned or a Sony X8xxxY might be a better idea, though these will likely be significantly more expensive than the Hisense.
Thank you for your in-depth analysis. Truly.......much appreciated!

I was thinking along those same lines with regards to the Vizio. I will probably keep it. It is definitely better than that TCL. I didn't even know what screen uniformity was before I purchased the Sony. Once knowing what the DSE was and seeing it on the TCL, I couldn't unsee it! The vignetting was also another issue with the TCL. Honestly it does not even compare to the Vizio......other than Roku that is. The Vizio also has unlimited user picture presets that you can create and save. The only reasonable step up from this would be the Vizio Quantum PX65-G1 that is on sale right now at Costco for $899. It sports the quantum dots plus a super bright 120hz native screen. I may have to go grab one just to compare as their return policy is outstanding. But I here that there is some issues with them breaking down.......but again Costco covers you for 4 and it does have those 384 deep contrast local dimming zones.
ES_Revenge likes this.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-28-2020, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you for your in-depth analysis. Truly.......much appreciated!

I was thinking along those same lines with regards to the Vizio. I will probably keep it.
Glad to hear it, and I believe you fixed your outdoor TV issue too so all is good and not a dime spent--that's a good feeling, right?

Quote:
It is definitely better than that TCL. I didn't even know what screen uniformity was before I purchased the Sony. Once knowing what the DSE was and seeing it on the TCL, I couldn't unsee it! The vignetting was also another issue with the TCL.
The TCL is well known for poor grey uniformity (DSE), and it comes down to a combination of two things:
1. A "panel lottery" in terms of how good or bad the particular set you receive is.
2. How bearable the level of DSE (however good or bad) is for the owner, particularly regarding the content they watch.

The thing about DSE is that it really only shows up once you get to 55" and larger sets. Full-array lighting also worsens it. So if you have a FALD set which is 55" and up there's a good chance there is at least some DSE, whether it's a TCL, a Samsung, or a Sony. Below that, you'd never know DSE was a thing. But, some sets like the 6-series are pretty notorious for high DSE/poor grey uniformity; though you can get a very good set it's also likely you get one with poorer-than-average uniformity.

For me, my old Sony 55" HX750 (midrange 1080p set from like 2012) has some degree of noticeable DSE; my 65Z9D (a much higher-end 4K Sony set) has the worst DSE of all the TVs I own. However it's not horrible and I live with it as the set is otherwise fantastic in every other regard. Note though that I don't watch sports and that's another area where DSE can become bothersome--especially hockey! The one TCL I own is a 43" so it has no noticeable DSE at all, which is expected on anything 50" and under IMO.

Quote:
Honestly it does not even compare to the Vizio......other than Roku that is. The Vizio also has unlimited user picture presets that you can create and save. The only reasonable step up from this would be the Vizio Quantum PX65-G1 that is on sale right now at Costco for $899.
Yeah that's a pretty good price--we have the regular Quantum (non-X) on sale at Costco right now for $1299 CAD which is basically the same as you have the X for, and people think this is a great deal here lol.

Quote:
It sports the quantum dots plus a super bright 120hz native screen. I may have to go grab one just to compare as their return policy is outstanding. But I here that there is some issues with them breaking down.......but again Costco covers you for 4 and it does have those 384 deep contrast local dimming zones.
Yeah it's a lot more zones compared to the M--M is 90 in 65" I think? Sad part is, while the TV is better in several ways than the M, I don't think it improves the non-native scaling at all, meaning you might just have the same problem. Since it's Costco you could give it a whirl, esp. if you're still in the return period for the M TV you have--as you could just return that one. OTOH it's $400 more than the M, you'd have to try it out and see if it's worth that add'l money to you. I say go ahead if you don't mind the time/hassle.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-28-2020, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Glad to hear it, and I believe you fixed your outdoor TV issue too so all is good and not a dime spent--that's a good feeling, right?

The TCL is well known for poor grey uniformity (DSE), and it comes down to a combination of two things:
1. A "panel lottery" in terms of how good or bad the particular set you receive is.
2. How bearable the level of DSE (however good or bad) is for the owner, particularly regarding the content they watch.

The thing about DSE is that it really only shows up once you get to 55" and larger sets. Full-array lighting also worsens it. So if you have a FALD set which is 55" and up there's a good chance there is at least some DSE, whether it's a TCL, a Samsung, or a Sony. Below that, you'd never know DSE was a thing. But, some sets like the 6-series are pretty notorious for high DSE/poor grey uniformity; though you can get a very good set it's also likely you get one with poorer-than-average uniformity.

For me, my old Sony 55" HX750 (midrange 1080p set from like 2012) has some degree of noticeable DSE; my 65Z9D (a much higher-end 4K Sony set) has the worst DSE of all the TVs I own. However it's not horrible and I live with it as the set is otherwise fantastic in every other regard. Note though that I don't watch sports and that's another area where DSE can become bothersome--especially hockey! The one TCL I own is a 43" so it has no noticeable DSE at all, which is expected on anything 50" and under IMO.

Yeah that's a pretty good price--we have the regular Quantum (non-X) on sale at Costco right now for $1299 CAD which is basically the same as you have the X for, and people think this is a great deal here lol.

Yeah it's a lot more zones compared to the M--M is 90 in 65" I think? Sad part is, while the TV is better in several ways than the M, I don't think it improves the non-native scaling at all, meaning you might just have the same problem. Since it's Costco you could give it a whirl, esp. if you're still in the return period for the M TV you have--as you could just return that one. OTOH it's $400 more than the M, you'd have to try it out and see if it's worth that add'l money to you. I say go ahead if you don't mind the time/hassle.
Well I just went out and got the Vizio Quantum PX65-G1. It is still downloading updates. But I have 90 days with this one and another 83 with the M series. Do you suggest any side by side comps. Maybe get a splitter and try both with regular DirecTV and with 4k as well.
ES_Revenge likes this.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-28-2020, 09:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well I just went out and got the Vizio Quantum PX65-G1. It is still downloading updates. But I have 90 days with this one and another 83 with the M series. Do you suggest any side by side comps. Maybe get a splitter and try both with regular DirecTV and with 4k as well.
Hmm I'd just say you "do you" and watch all the regular type of programming/content you usually would. That will give you the best idea of both how they do against the other and how they do with actual content that you watch. A lot of times the lab tests say one thing but the in-person real-world result can be different and one thing mentioned as a minor annoyance or disadvantage in a review may be a big time annoyance for an individual. Kind of like the 6-series you had--very well reviewed but they don't really emphasise DSE in many reviews nor realise that it was a fairly common issue/complaint with many purchased sets. So best bet is just to see how it works for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Great Found Deals!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page