AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Plasma Flat Panel Great Found Deals! (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/198-plasma-flat-panel-great-found-deals/)
-   -   Keeping Pioneer PDP-6020FD on through regulator issue (8 blinking lights) (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/198-plasma-flat-panel-great-found-deals/2986936-keeping-pioneer-pdp-6020fd-through-regulator-issue-8-blinking-lights.html)

Vees 06-28-2018 09:20 AM

Keeping Pioneer PDP-6020FD on through regulator issue (8 blinking lights)

Hello, I got a great deal the other day on a 2009 Pioneer PDP-6020FD off of Craigslist—free! It was definitely cared for and looks as if it’s in almost new condition. The previous owner let me know about a common regulator issue with Pioneer’s plasma TVs (8 blinking lights) and a Google search brought me to a few older threads on this site. After reviewing some of my options and watching a repair video on YouTube, I decided to purchase a repair kit from eBay and that should be arriving in the next few days.

In the meantime, I’ve gotten it to turn on a few times but it definitely takes several hours to charge back up in between. So last night I wanted to try a temporary workaround to keep it on. The only thing I have hooked up to it is my Apple TV at the moment. Here are the steps and settings I used:
  • Apple TV
  • Settings > General > Screen Saver > Start After > 2 minutes
  • Settings > General > Sleep After > Never
    Pioneer Setup
  • Setup > Picture > AV Selection to Standard
  • Setup > Picture > Contrast, Brightness, and Color to their lowest settings
  • Setup > Power Control > Energy Save > Mode 2
  • Setup > Power Control > No Signal Off > Disable
  • Setup > Power Control > No Operation Off > Disable
  • Setup > Sleep Timer > Off
  • Setup > Option > Orbiter > Mode 2
    YouTube App
  • Play a black screen (”10 hours and 1 second of pure black screen!”)

My goals are to temporarily keep the TV on, avoid burn in, and keep the TV from blinding us at night (we have it in our bedroom). By using the Standard AV Selection I’m able to customize it and then switch back and forth between any of the other preset modes (Optimum, Movie, Game, etc.) I don’t know if just the Energy Save mode or a combination of that with the contrast, brightness, and color all turned down, but there is hardly any heat being generated and the TV feels cool to the touch. I believe the Orbiter setting is supposed to help prevent burn in by constantly shifting the pixels on screen. Lastly, the blank screen on YouTube plays for a very long time. I’m guessing it’s not pure black because of any pixelation that occurs during compression. Perhaps that’s a good thing? At first when I turn out the bedroom lights I can see a faint glow from the whole screen but then the Energy Saver kicks in and it’s virtually imperceptible. All I see is the glow of the blue light indicator.

Does anyone have thoughts on this solution being detrimental to the TV, especially in regards to burn in? During the daytime I’m going to use the Apple TV’s aerial screensaver which I’m thinking is fine, but I’m wondering if the black screen would cause burn in issues in this case. I’m excited about this find. Thank you in advance!

Dave-T 06-28-2018 04:03 PM

I had the dreaded regulator 8 blink failure with my 151FD 2 years ago, I still have my 110FD. It was not worth it to me too deal with the headache. I gave it away to the guy who sold me my OLED E6.

Vees 06-29-2018 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave-T (Post 56413082)
I had the dreaded regulator 8 blink failure with my 151FD 2 years ago, I still have my 110FD. It was not worth it to me too deal with the headache. I gave it away to the guy who sold me my OLED E6.

Hey maybe you can try this with the 110FD if it's also experiencing this problem. It's been 2 days and this seems to be working very well. It hasn't shut off and there isn't much heat being generated at all.

Vees 07-03-2018 03:44 AM

Well, it seems like there aren’t many plasma owners on AVS, huh? I was hoping someone else would understand the great joy of finding such a bargain. Oh well!

BTW, for future reference here’s an even simpler workaround for the Pioneer regulator issue. If you’re able to get the TV back on then you can turn the picture off without turning the TV off. On my remote you press the Tools button and then select the Picture Off option.

I received the repair kit but at this point I’m inclined not to bother since this seems to be working out.