Found a KURO; Dumped my Panasonic - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-16-2020, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Found a KURO; Dumped my Panasonic

Found a Kuro 6020 at a second-hand shop for $120. Paid $130 and change, tax included. Really great PQ, no issues so far. If it holds up, I'll be really happy. The risk is I don't know the TV's history. Tried to get into the service menu to figure out the mileage, but no luck. At that price, figured it was alright to take a chance so I just grabbed it. The people in the store were ogling it, the store owner saying "I didn't know it had a picture like that!" so I figured I'd better make the deal before he raised the price (I'd bargained him down $20 before turning it on, and he had it marked down from the $350 it was at before Christmas) or someone started bidding against me. People don't know what these plasmas can do but seeing is believing. I figured some guy with a $2,500 QLED at home would say, "Wait!, what?, how much are you wanting for that?"

So far so good with the Kuro. No red shift or blinking blue lights. Took a chance and sold my Panasonic P60ST60 for as much as I could manage to get in a week on Craigslist. The sum was all of $150 -- so $20 more than I paid for the Kuro but the downside is I know the Panasonic was low mileage since I bought it new and haven't used it much. The PQ of the Kuro is better but the P60ST60 wasn't far behind. I could have held it longer and maybe gotten $200 but it wasn't worth the time or effort. The market for old plasmas is what it is -- in other words, amazing if you're buying and horrendous if you're selling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-19-2020, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Nice find! I think the 9G Kuros were really pretty equivalent to the last Panasonic plasmas. I feel like my Kuro doesn't get as bad of image retention though? Are you getting red-tinted blacks?

You're right about the market for old plasmas. A few delusional people still list theirs high but the deep sales on OLEDs, under $1k at points, has wrecked the resale value of plasmas. Plus the age and uncertainty of spending a bunch on a display that could die at any time. I still have a couple of plasmas left and, since the value has tanked, I'll just keep them until they die. Hopefully by then there will be a display technology with acceptable motion resolution.

LG OLED65B7 | Yamaha v661 | Aperion 5.1 w/ SVS sub | PS4 Pro | Xbox One X | HTPC (i7-7700K, 1080 Ti, Define Nano S)
Pioneer 5020FD | Panasonic 46S30 | Hitachi P50V701
post #3 of 3 Old 02-19-2020, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandis View Post
Nice find! I think the 9G Kuros were really pretty equivalent to the last Panasonic plasmas. I feel like my Kuro doesn't get as bad of image retention though? Are you getting red-tinted blacks?

You're right about the market for old plasmas. A few delusional people still list theirs high but the deep sales on OLEDs, under $1k at points, has wrecked the resale value of plasmas. Plus the age and uncertainty of spending a bunch on a display that could die at any time. I still have a couple of plasmas left and, since the value has tanked, I'll just keep them until they die. Hopefully by then there will be a display technology with acceptable motion resolution.
No red tinted blacks but there may be some black crush. Need to compare the same image on another set. Will do that soon. Overall, the picture is great. Certain scenes are astoundingly good.

The advances in technology are amazing. Are the latest OLEDs still struggling with image resolution? The LG C9 has gotten really good reviews and the CX promises to be even better. I've seen posts by gamers who have been happy with the C9.

Was in Costco over the weekend and saw a 55 inch C9 at $1,350 with a 7 year warranty if one uses a Costco credit card (5 years without). I came out of there thinking it might be short sighted to pay more than a nominal sum for any plasma, no matter how good it was once considered. Don't get me wrong; I'm glad I paid $130 for my 6020. But whereas before I would have paid $200 to upgrade to a 141, now I'm thinking it might make more sense to just wait for OLEDs to keep dropping. I hear that in 2021 they're supposed to drop a lot, to the point where mid-level sets could be OLEDs.

If a 5020, 111 or 101 comes along for a really good price, I'll grab it for our master bedroom. Don't have enough room for another 60 incher. Though when we make the move to OLED, a 65 inch screen will take no more real estate than the 60 inch Kuro. Same for the 55 inch OLED over the 50 inch Kuro. The benefits of not having bezel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Great Found Deals!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page