Panasonic PT-AE8000u - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Archaea
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 09-23-2018, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Panasonic PT-AE8000u

Hi guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

My last projector was a Panasonic PT-AE1000u way back when. I'm looking to jump back in to the projector scene. I've been following the soap opera that is the Optoma UHD50 threat with interest, however I wondering if a lower priced 1080p projector might make more sense while I wait for better 4k options.

I recently saw the Panasonic PT-AE8000u for £400. This kinda excited me considering I paid over £2000 for the AE1000 10-odd years ago. My question is: can this panny hold it's own against newer 1080p models? eg. BenQ 1070 etc. Are there better options out there for budget 1080?

Thanks in advance!

G
ZedWings is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 09-23-2018, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Ooops. Sorry! Think this is wrong section. Although £400 for this is a deal right? Anyway, please move if this is wrong.
ZedWings is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 09-26-2018, 05:21 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 11,481
Mentioned: 650 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4101 Post(s)
Liked: 3906
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedWings View Post
Hi guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

My last projector was a Panasonic PT-AE1000u way back when. I'm looking to jump back in to the projector scene. I've been following the soap opera that is the Optoma UHD50 threat with interest, however I wondering if a lower priced 1080p projector might make more sense while I wait for better 4k options.

I recently saw the Panasonic PT-AE8000u for £400. This kinda excited me considering I paid over £2000 for the AE1000 10-odd years ago. My question is: can this panny hold it's own against newer 1080p models? eg. BenQ 1070 etc. Are there better options out there for budget 1080?

Thanks in advance!

G
The Panasonic AE8000U (i own one) gets utterly beaten by something like the new the JVC RS540, but will still beat a current $1000 entry projector like the w1070 fairly easily. The gap between a $1000 projector and a $5000 modern projector is immense. If you have a good dark room contrast ratio is king. If you have a cinema scope screen (2.35:1) the Panasonic has no competitor to this day for its auto zoom and auto focus functionality based on content detection . But it’s contrast ratio is not competitive with the new JVCs and Sonys..

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
208 identical 1" tweeters, 52 identical 5" woofers, and 8 identical 18" subwoofers work in uniform to deliver an un-quantifiably great audio experience!
Archaea is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 8 Old 12-21-2018, 03:37 PM
Member
 
David Sal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
But how would the Panasonic compare to Epson 4010? Especially in the contrast and black departments.

Enviado desde mi Moto G (5) Plus mediante Tapatalk
David Sal is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 12-22-2018, 05:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
descalabro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Working in China, home in Portugal.
Posts: 1,296
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedWings View Post
Ooops. Sorry! Think this is wrong section. Although £400 for this is a deal right? Anyway, please move if this is wrong.
So, did you buy it? That was, in fact, a very good price for the PT-AE8000, if in perfect working order.

4,3 x 2,8m semi-blacked out media room | 2010 MacMini > Pioneer VSX-520-K > JVC RS50 (X7) > 107", 1.1 gain, white screen | JVC X30 (RS45)
descalabro is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 12-22-2018, 05:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
descalabro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Working in China, home in Portugal.
Posts: 1,296
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Sal View Post
But how would the Panasonic compare to Epson 4010? Especially in the contrast and black departments.

Enviado desde mi Moto G (5) Plus mediante Tapatalk
Here's a comparison between the Epson 4010 and the 5040UB

And here's a comparison between the Epson 5030UB and the Panasonic PT-AE8000.


I would go with the Epson 4010 unless I could get a great deal (<$500) for a PT-AE8000 in perfect shape.
descalabro is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 12-22-2018, 06:48 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 11,481
Mentioned: 650 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4101 Post(s)
Liked: 3906
Quote:
Originally Posted by descalabro View Post
Here's a comparison between the Epson 4010 and the 5040UB



And here's a comparison between the Epson 5030UB and the Panasonic PT-AE8000.





I would go with the Epson 4010 unless I could get a great deal (<$500) for a PT-AE8000 in perfect shape.


Why did you read those two articles and come to that conclusion? Especially at the $500 comment?

AE8000U vs 5030UB is said to be more or less a draw based on what features you want.

Better 3D, better motion interpolation, less screen door pixelation, automated CIH with lens memories, quieter vs. deeper blacks, better image quality, and brighter.

The 4010 is noticeably worse than the 5400UB in a dedicated space which most of us have.

The $4010 is $2k

Why then is the AE8000U only worth $500?

One quarter the price? It seems the two projectors would be fairly close together in performance with 1080p content if both were new. Why is the 4010 worth 4x the price in your opinion.
DavidK442 likes this.

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
208 identical 1" tweeters, 52 identical 5" woofers, and 8 identical 18" subwoofers work in uniform to deliver an un-quantifiably great audio experience!
Archaea is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 12-22-2018, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
descalabro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Working in China, home in Portugal.
Posts: 1,296
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Why did you read those two articles and come to that conclusion? Especially at the $500 comment?

AE8000U vs 5030UB is said to be more or less a draw based on what features you want.

Better 3D, better motion interpolation, less screen door pixelation, automated CIH with lens memories, quieter vs. deeper blacks, better image quality, and brighter.

The 4010 is noticeably worse than the 5400UB in a dedicated space which most of us have.

The $4010 is $2k

Why then is the AE8000U only worth $500?

One quarter the price? It seems the two projectors would be fairly close together in performance with 1080p content if both were new. Why is the 4010 worth 4x the price in your opinion.
The PT-AE8000 seems to have a special place in the minds of many people, and fairly so, because when it was released it offered great features that only more expensive projectors offered. When I read Projector Central's comparison between the the PT-AE8000 and the Epson 5030UB, I get this feeling that the reviewer is holding a bit too much to that special place. I may be wrong. To speak more objectively, I don't care for 3D and, for me, the 3 advantages you mentioned about the 5030UB are more relevant - plus its lens shift capabilities are very useful for me. Furthermore, my viewing space, although it has some blacked-out areas, is not fully light controlled, which means I would probably not notice the black level difference between the Epson 4010 and the 5030UB - plus the 5030UB (and other models of the same series) have a history of failing power supplies.

As for the 4010, which we are comparing to the AE8000 using the 5030UB as reference, it has pixel shifting so I wouldn't consider any screen door pixelation issues here.

About the value of the AE8000, my comment may have been misleading: I meant used without any image defect, not new. It may be worth over $500, but that's the price I would consider a great deal for that model VS a newly released model with 2 year warranty and the technology for the next few years. Just a few days ago I really considered going over $600 for a used AE8000, but decided to reconsider. And generally I take Panasonic as a more reliable and capable brand than Epson, but it's not on the HT market anymore.
descalabro is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Front Projectors Great Found Deals!

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off