Sway me! UST Laser PJ & Screen or LG 86" TV for under $2,700? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-20-2018, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Sway me! UST Laser PJ & Screen or LG 86" TV for under $2,700?

Really on the fence on this one!!!

Living room = 20'Wx20'Lx12'H

The LG 86UK6570PUB is on sale for $2,500. Regularly $3,000. Seems like a very nice 86" TV. 2018 model and Alexa capable.

Also very tempted to get a Lune 4K UST projector. Goes for $1,700 on ebay. I can pick up a nice Snowhite UST ALR 120" screen from Alibaba for about a grand shipped.

LG 86":
Pro - Simple initial setup, easier to use with Alexa, in English
Con - Smaller screen

Lune 4K:
Pro - BIG screen for living room!
Con - Will take some messing around to build stand for PJ, natively in Chinese, might be a slight hassle to use

I'm going to post one in the TV forums too but help me make a decision. Give me your thoughts and considerations that I may not have thought of yet. Seem to be having a major brain fart and can't make up my mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-20-2018, 08:09 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Greetings Deuve,
The Lune on ebay may not be 4K.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-20-2018, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by qoopy View Post
Greetings Deuve,
The Lune on ebay may not be 4K.
Concur, it's not natively 4K. It uses that pixel manipulation method that other PJ's uses to give you a enhanced presentation. I'm told it's def very nice and it looks darn close to 4K with the right input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 11-20-2018, 10:37 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 86
remember that there are two Lune model's , one is Lune 1080P 4K compatible & the other is Lune 4K XPR, do they specify what DMD they use? the ones posted on ebay.

XGimi CC, XGimi Z6, UKCSIS, Vmai M200 Pico
Xbox One S, LG SH4
post #5 of 9 Old 11-20-2018, 11:02 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 9
The 4K version on Ebay costs $3500 before customs, under a strict $2800 budget I'd go with the TV
post #6 of 9 Old 11-21-2018, 02:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked: 528
It really depends on how much ambient light you have in the room, if its a lot go with the TV. If you can control it in the area where the screen is the bigger picture of the projector may win out but will never match the PQ of a TV.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #7 of 9 Old 11-21-2018, 05:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelee View Post
remember that there are two Lune model's , one is Lune 1080P 4K compatible & the other is Lune 4K XPR, do they specify what DMD they use? the ones posted on ebay.
I can't find the XPR one at all. Do you have a link? I don't think they specify the DMD...it's this one --> https://www.ebay.com/itm/253965871703 (Model XJ01V)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofir Kris View Post
The 4K version on Ebay costs $3500 before customs, under a strict $2800 budget I'd go with the TV
Link please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
It really depends on how much ambient light you have in the room, if its a lot go with the TV. If you can control it in the area where the screen is the bigger picture of the projector may win out but will never match the PQ of a TV.
Good point. There is going to be a decent amount of ambient light since this is the main living room with windows. I was thinking of using curtains but I can see that getting old. Good point on the PQ of the TV. I'm leaning towards the TV now then...

Other thoughts? thx!
post #8 of 9 Old 11-21-2018, 07:11 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1269 Post(s)
Liked: 2075
Moved to deal's area. Retail links and price talk are not permitted outside of these areas.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #9 of 9 Old 11-21-2018, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked: 1168
If you aren't building your room out like a home theater, then you need to figure out if you intend to give the room all the attention it needs to get a decent front projection image. You NEED the space dark, or you need a good UST ALR screen, which is pricey, and will have a negative impact on your image quality. As well, you will need to have some sort of audio system with about any projector on the market. So, that'll be an additional cost.

Of course, you go that way if you can't go with standard throw projection, which is a much better way to do things in almost any setup if you can.

But, if none of that works or it's just a hassle, then get the TV. The TV is easier to setup and install and will look better.

I would probably be looking at the Sony 850 85" display over any LG on the market, but I would read reviews between the two carefully.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Front Projectors Great Found Deals!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page