Refurbished Epson 5040UB - $1,151.00 - Page 11 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 150Likes

post #301 of 785 Old 05-22-2019, 08:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 625 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3884 Post(s)
Liked: 3688
Refurbished Epson 5040UB - $1,151.00

4th refurb came in.
Serial number X334680597L

For what it's worth Epson DID actually call me and tell me they had one in stock. So at least they came through there.

This one looked good in first turn on with no source hooked up. At least there are no major dustblobs at the first black screen at power on, or on the service menu.

EDIT:

Focus uniformity is fine, but color uniformity/panel uniformity isn’t good. It’s got some color uniformity issues on the right side. It’s a little darker or slightly pinkish on the right side noticeable when you start using it.

PC

BluRay Player pressing play menu from home screen

On the built in test patterns it’s even more noticeable.

I’m trying to determine how much I care...this won’t be very visible in movies but any calibrator would say throw it out I'm guessing.

It gets better (the problem is less visible) as the brightness turns up on the built in test patterns to the point that the 8 of 8 image isn't really noticeable at all, but the 2/8 through say 6/8 is noticeably different hues from left to right of screen. My phone isn’t making it look worse. This is how the color gradient looks in person.

SOWK and xbladr like this.

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric

Last edited by Archaea; 05-23-2019 at 08:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 785 Old 05-22-2019, 11:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
4th refurb came in.

For what it's worth Epson DID actualy call me and tell me they had one in stock. So at least they came through there.

This one looks good in first inspection with no source hooked up. At least there are no major dustblobs or pink hues at power on.

I’ll check focus uniformity with a PC desktop.

EDIT:

Focus uniformity is fine, but color uniformity/panel uniformity isn’t perfect. It’s got some color uniformity issues on the right side. It’s a little darker or slightly pinkish on the right side.

On the built in test patterns it’s even more noticeable.

I’m trying to determine how much I care...this won’t be visible in movies but any calibrator would say throw it out I'm guessing.

It gets better (the problem is less visible) as the brightness turns up on the built in test patterns to the point that the 8 of 8 image isn't really noticeable at all, but the 2/8 through say 6/8 is noticeably different hues from left to right of screen.

Honestly I haven't hooked it up to a pc to check these things. I don't plan on using it with a pc but I can for research purposes. If you don't notice any color uniformity issues while watching movies/TV or playing games I wouldn't be too worried about it but that's just me.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
post #303 of 785 Old 05-23-2019, 10:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbladr View Post
Honestly I haven't hooked it up to a pc to check these things. I don't plan on using it with a pc but I can for research purposes. If you don't notice any color uniformity issues while watching movies/TV or playing games I wouldn't be too worried about it but that's just me.

If you like B/W movies, this thing will drive you nuts! I had a Sony that looked great playing color videos and movies, but had a pinkish hue and kind of different color temps on either side of a blank white screen, and the black and white movies were absolutely unwatchable because of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #304 of 785 Old 05-23-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk2000 View Post
If you like B/W movies, this thing will drive you nuts! I had a Sony that looked great playing color videos and movies, but had a pinkish hue and kind of different color temps on either side of a blank white screen, and the black and white movies were absolutely unwatchable because of it.
I haven't watched a black and white movie since my dad would force me when I was a child. Maybe I'm too young but I have 0 interest in black and white. Although this is a very valid point for those who do.

post #305 of 785 Old 05-23-2019, 05:15 PM

Location: Wherever the Army sends me. Currently: Fort Bragg, NC
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I personally wouldn't care too much about defects such as those above. If I paid full price I certainly would be, but for what amounts to a $750 projector, I wouldn't care about any defects unless they were obvious during normal use. When buying refurb, I usually expect there to be something minor and with a two year warranty, I could just wait until the end to swap it out. Maybe by then they would just upgrade to a 5050.
post #306 of 785 Old 05-23-2019, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjlane View Post
I personally wouldn't care too much about defects such as those above. If I paid full price I certainly would be, but for what amounts to a $750 projector, I wouldn't care about any defects unless they were obvious during normal use. When buying refurb, I usually expect there to be something minor and with a two year warranty, I could just wait until the end to swap it out. Maybe by then they would just upgrade to a 5050.
Thanks for the feedback fellows.

I understand what you suggest.
Though I paid $1200 taxed and shipped for mine and didn’t get a free bulb or 15% off coupon. But regardless of cost there is some degree of pursuit on principle here.

I know this will just annoy me as long as I keep it, and will make me want to replace it sooner rather than later...
It’s noticeable when I’m on any flat background color and that’s not really acceptable. I was thinking about it today — why should the unit have this fault which is clearly visible on the own internal test patterns or any casual viewing of a single color background. It supposedly went through a quality control inspection...

If I bought a TV that was pink on the right I’d take the piece of crap right back. I’m getting tired of messing with this for the last 1.5 months is the only reason I’d cave on this. If I hadn’t already sold my Panasonic AE8000U, I’d just gladly go back to it and just get a refund. 5 years old and it didn’t have the problems these Epson refurbs have.

Either Epson is sending out junk, or they aren’t — so either I’m continuously unlucky and it should be made right, or I’ll just keep getting 2nd tier units because that’s what they are sending out??? Those are really the only two possibilities. So far I’m four for four in the junk category. They routinely tell me refurb should be as solid as new as they are all internal tested before shipping out. I’m going to hold you to that Epson. And publicly — right here.

I’ve decided I need to press to make them stand up to what they advertise and affirm with each call...

“Epson - Exceeds Expectations”
wjlane and xbladr like this.

(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric

Last edited by Archaea; 05-23-2019 at 07:28 PM.
post #307 of 785 Old 05-23-2019, 07:35 PM

Location: Wherever the Army sends me. Currently: Fort Bragg, NC
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback fellows.

I understand what you suggest.
Though I paid $1200 taxed and shipped for mine and didn’t get a free bulb or 15% off coupon. But regardless of cost there is some degree of pursuit on principle here.

I know this will just annoy me as long as I keep it, and will make me want to replace it sooner rather than later...
It’s noticeable when I’m on any flat background color and that’s not really acceptable. I was thinking about it today — why should the unit have this fault which is clearly visible on the own internal test patterns or any casual viewing of a single color background. It supposedly went through a quality control inspection...

If I bought a TV that was pink on the right I’d take the piece of crap right back. I’m getting tired of messing with this for the last 1.5 months is the only reason I’d cave on this. If I hadn’t already sold my Panasonic AE8000U, I’d just gladly go back to it and just get a refund. 5 years old and it didn’t have the problems these Epson refurbs have.

Either Epson is sending out junk, or they aren’t — so either I’m continuously unlucky and it should be made right, or I’ll just keep getting 2nd tier units because that’s what they are sending out??? Those are really the only two possibilities. So far I’m four for four in the junk category. They routinely tell me refurb should be as solid as new as they are all internal tested before shipping out. I’m going to hold you to that Epson. And publicly — right here.

I’ve decided I need to press to make them stand up to what they advertise and affirm with each call...

“Epson - Exceeds Expectations”

Well now that you put it that way, I would keep going until you get a perfect unit. I know it's frustrating, but until Epson exceeds your expectations, I'd keep going with it. You've already invested a lot of time into this. See how far it goes!
post #308 of 785 Old 05-23-2019, 07:39 PM

Quote:
I haven't watched a black and white movie since my dad would force me when I was a child. Maybe I'm too young but I have 0 interest in black and white. Although this is a very valid point for those who do.

I’m not much for black and white movies either, but at random — it just so happens, I clicked on the special features of a movie I just watched and the commentary is in black and white. Well black and white and a dash of pink...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #309 of 785 Old 05-23-2019, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
i have tested mine thoroughly over the past 2 days and can report it is perfect. No dust blobs, unifomity, aberration or focus issues whatsoever so they definitely have some good ones. I would definitely send it back. By the way I just wanted to say the picture on this thing is amazing! I am using HarperVision Digital Cinema for HDR and nielvm for SDR, UHD discs plus Apple TV look absolutely gorgeous. I have the luxury of being able to keep the lamp in ECO so I have to struggle to even hear the fan. My 92” Da-Lite HP 2.8 throws a stunning picture. I am coming from a BenQ TK800 and the difference is way beyond what I could have imagined. Good luck to all who have received stinkers but I would not settle for anything less than perfect since they do exist.

-Dano
post #310 of 785 Old 05-23-2019, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano2 View Post
i have tested mine thoroughly over the past 2 days and can report it is perfect. No dust blobs, unifomity, aberration or focus issues whatsoever so they definitely have some good ones. I would definitely send it back. By the way I just wanted to say the picture on this thing is amazing! I am using HarperVision Digital Cinema for HDR and nielvm for SDR, UHD discs plus Apple TV look absolutely gorgeous. I have the luxury of being able to keep the lamp in ECO so I have to struggle to even hear the fan. My 92” Da-Lite HP 2.8 throws a stunning picture. I am coming from a BenQ TK800 and the difference is way beyond what I could have imagined. Good luck to all who have received stinkers but I would not settle for anything less than perfect since they do exist.
Can you link the nielvm sdr calibration. I found his hdr calibration but can't find the sdr one.

post #311 of 785 Old 05-23-2019, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Can you link the nielvm sdr calibration. I found his hdr calibration but can't find the sdr one.

SDR (nielvm settings)

Mode natural
Brightness 50
Contrast 50
Saturation 50
Tint 50
Power consumption low
Iris medium
Image enhancement mode 3
Color temp 6500k
Skin tone 4
Green gain 49
Blue gain 41
All rest: 50
Gamma -1
Epson super white on
CMS:
R 50 49 53
G58 62 41
B 50 48 54
C 50 56 48
M 56 52 46
Y 47 50 51

-Dano
post #312 of 785 Old 05-23-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
SDR (nielvm settings)

Mode natural

Brightness 50

Contrast 50

Saturation 50

Tint 50

Power consumption low

Iris medium

Image enhancement mode 3

Color temp 6500k

Skin tone 4

Green gain 49

Blue gain 41

Gamma -1

Epson super white on

CMS:

R 50 49 53

G58 62 41

B 50 48 54

C 50 56 48

M 56 52 46

Y 47 50 51
Thanks sir I appreciate it. What is the advanced menu set to for dynamic range. Sdr or auto?

post #313 of 785 Old 05-23-2019, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
I’m not much for black and white movies either, but at random — it just so happens, I clicked on the special features of a movie I just watched and the commentary is in black and white. Well black and white and a dash of pink...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
looks bad. I would send it back. For people that watch hockey, the ice would look pink
xbladr likes this.
post #314 of 785 Old 05-24-2019, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Quote:
SDR (nielvm settings)

Mode natural

Brightness 50

Contrast 50

Saturation 50

Tint 50

Power consumption low

Iris medium

Image enhancement mode 3

Color temp 6500k

Skin tone 4

Green gain 49

Blue gain 41

Gamma -1

Epson super white on

CMS:

R 50 49 53

G58 62 41

B 50 48 54

C 50 56 48

M 56 52 46

Y 47 50 51
Thanks sir I appreciate it. What is the advanced menu set to for dynamic range. Sdr or auto?

Either but it defaults to Auto

-Dano
post #315 of 785 Old 05-24-2019, 07:04 AM
Home Theater Enthusiast

Mentioned: 138 Post(s)
Quoted: 1510 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Quote:
4th refurb came in.
Serial number X334680597L

As you increase the color uniformity control to 8/8 do you lose brightness?

I would also check an external pattern generator with lower IRE full field gray images and see if it negatively affects darker IRE levels.

LCD's tend to have more of these issues than a comparative LCOS or DLP, but it seems Epson's refurbish department needs to step their game up.

I'm hoping if you find no negative attributes to using color uniformity to 8/8 that you can be happy with the purchase. But I agree 0/8 look horrible, and that much of a uniformity issue would be noticeable in movies.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Wisconsin Home Theater Enthusiasts Meet
SOWK Home Theater

Last edited by SOWK; 05-24-2019 at 03:12 PM.
post #316 of 785 Old 05-24-2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post
As you increase the color uniformity control to 8/8 do you lose brightness?
I would also check and external pattern generator with lower IRE full field gray images and see if it negatively affects darker IRE levels.
LCD's tend to have more of these issues than a comparative LCOS or DLP, but it seems Epson's refurbish department needs to step their game up.
I'm hoping if you find no negative attributes to using color uniformity to 8/8 that you can be happy with the purchase. But I agree 0/8 look horrible, and that much of a uniformity issue would be noticeable in movies.
AFAIK, that shown color uniformity option in the projector GUI is nothing more than test patterns for you to verify panel uniformity. That doesn't save anything. I tried using the panel uniformity control in an adjacent GUI menu option to decrease red on the right hand side of the screen but it's not a precision based control. It's just right half of the screen, and it ends up making everything worse IMO. Cause it applies strongest to the far edge and works back so what you end up with is a smaller pool of pink discoloration that's more obvious in most use cases, and by the time you get rid of the pink in the middle, the far right side looks way off.

I don't have any video calibration gear - just my eyes - but the discoloration is visible on any light solid color. It's not visible on mixed scenes in movie that aren't white or gray. The brighter the image the less the problem shows up in real world, the lighter the image, the worse the problem shows up. So any dark scene -it's a nuisance. I contacted Epson - it's going back.

post #317 of 785 Old 05-25-2019, 05:11 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 105
So, I got excited to see it was "available" again only to click on "add to cart" and get the following message. "Unfortunately the quantity you chose exceeded the maximum order quantity for this product. The quantity in your cart has been reduced to the maximum order quantity." Maximum order quantity is apparently ZERO at this point..
post #318 of 785 Old 05-25-2019, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipca204 View Post
So, I got excited to see it was "available" again only to ..........

Picked up a NOS Pro Cinema 4030, not a refurb, just back in February direct from Epson... but that "Add to Cart" button" is temping ...the "Unfortunately the quantity you chose exceeded the maximum order quantity for this product. The quantity in your cart has been reduced to the maximum order quantity." ...... disappointing I can see for those who really want one.....but keeps me sane....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-05-25 at 8.56.13 AM.png
Views:	37
Size:	254.5 KB
ID:	2571476  

Last edited by rob80b; 05-25-2019 at 06:49 AM.
post #319 of 785 Old 05-25-2019, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipca204 View Post
So, I got excited to see it was "available" again only to click on "add to cart" and get the following message. "Unfortunately the quantity you chose exceeded the maximum order quantity for this product. The quantity in your cart has been reduced to the maximum order quantity." Maximum order quantity is apparently ZERO at this point..
Unfortunately, that's what everyone gets until they get REALLY lucky lol
post #320 of 785 Old 05-25-2019, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xixarchangelxix View Post
Unfortunately, that's what everyone gets until they get REALLY lucky lol

But only while the item is actually available and then the " Add to Cart" remains an hour or so after the stock is gone leaving buyers hopeful but misled and then disappears from the clearance list all together. Probably allows just enough time until the lucky buyer's credit is confirmed.

2 screen shots: first image is from a few minutes ago and the second was from this morning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-05-25 at 12.52.21 PM.png
Views:	40
Size:	232.1 KB
ID:	2571624   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-05-25 at 8.56.13 AM.png
Views:	34
Size:	254.5 KB
ID:	2571626  
post #321 of 785 Old 05-25-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob80b View Post
But only while the item is actually available and then the " Add to Cart" remains an hour or so after the stock is gone leaving buyers hopeful but misled and then disappears from the clearance list all together. Probably allows just enough time until the lucky buyer's credit is confirmed.

2 screen shots: first image is from a few minutes ago and the second was from this morning.
I'm confused at the issue you are showing. What's the problem? If they only have 1 in stock it could pop up and someone could have just been faster than you checking out that's all. I had never seen it in Stock for more than 20 minutes

post #322 of 785 Old 05-25-2019, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm confused at the issue you are showing. What's the problem? If they only have 1 in stock it could pop up and someone could have just been faster than you checking out that's all. I had never seen it in Stock for more than 20 minutes

The button "Add to Cart" will still be available for a few hours after the item has been spoken for and when activated will immediately display... "Unfortunately the quantity you chose exceeded the maximum order quantity for this product. The quantity in your cart has been reduced to the maximum order quantity." but the "Add to Cart" (2nd image) will still be displaying so one can try and add the item as many times as they like but to no avail...eventually it will be removed from the active clearance list (1st image) until one is available again and the sequence then repeats its self.

...Just to add that this does not always happen....more often than not the item is removed immediately from the active clearance list but one can still access the direct URL which will say "Out of Stock" .

Last edited by rob80b; 05-26-2019 at 06:05 AM.
post #323 of 785 Old 05-25-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob80b View Post
The button "Add to Cart" will still be available for a few hours after the item has been spoken for and when activated will immediately display... "Unfortunately the quantity you chose exceeded the maximum order quantity for this product. The quantity in your cart has been reduced to the maximum order quantity." but the "Add to Cart" (2nd image) will still be displaying so one can try and add the item as many times as they like but to no avail...eventually it will be removed from the active clearance list (1st image) until one is available again and the sequence then repeats its self.
Oh ok that's odd I never experienced that in my search but that sucks if true. There should be an if statement that easily disables the button assuming the closeout icon is no longer avail. In my experience Each time it would say closeout for 20min at most and then it would go oos.

post #324 of 785 Old 05-27-2019, 05:36 PM

I have an app that tells me when it says Out of Stock and Clearance and it's FAR from an hour. It's usually only a window of 30 seconds to 5 minutes, tops. The inventory page showing ALL the projectors does take a bit longer to refresh, but the actual 5040UB page changes very fast.
xbladr likes this.
post #325 of 785 Old 05-29-2019, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Received my first unit today. Serial number X334820512L and unfortunately there's a fairly noticeable dust blob dead center. So I'll be trying to exchange it. Just figured I would log the serial number here in case someone else ends up with it.
Archaea and xbladr like this.
post #326 of 785 Old 05-29-2019, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I got a couple of questions, are the refurbished fixed from the power supply issue? And how often do they have it available in stock? I've been watching it for over a week and it still says out of stock.
post #327 of 785 Old 05-30-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwing-DG View Post
I got a couple of questions, are the refurbished fixed from the power supply issue? And how often do they have it available in stock? I've been watching it for over a week and it still says out of stock.
Yes, the power supply issue should be fixed. They're sometimes in stock up to twice daily, but it's usually only for 30 seconds to 5 minutes, tops. I haven't had an alert for a few days now though.
post #328 of 785 Old 06-01-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Yes, the power supply issue should be fixed. They're sometimes in stock up to twice daily, but it's usually only for 30 seconds to 5 minutes, tops. I haven't had an alert for a few days now though.
How do you get an alert when they have one available? 30 to 5 mins is not enough time.
post #329 of 785 Old 06-02-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwing-DG View Post
How do you get an alert when they have one available? 30 to 5 mins is not enough time.
Browser/Phone scripts. As soon as the page changes, it sends an alert.
ng4ever likes this.
post #330 of 785 Old 06-02-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Browser/Phone scripts. As soon as the page changes, it sends an alert.
Oh, I see. Good to know. Thanks man!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Front Projectors Great Found Deals!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page