Refurbished Epson 5040UB - $1,151.00 - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 197Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 1076 Old 04-03-2019, 03:35 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 7
I have a pro cinema 6020ub that needs a new 500$ bulb

Are these a big improvement in comparison??






Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Souvlakipita is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 1076 Old 04-03-2019, 03:59 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 11,742
Mentioned: 659 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4328 Post(s)
Liked: 4169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souvlakipita View Post
I have a pro cinema 6020ub that needs a new 500$ bulb

Are these a big improvement in comparison??






Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


$500 bulb. I thought these epsons were famed for having $100 bulbs?

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
208, 1" tweeters | 52, 5" woofers | 8, 18" subwoofers
Archaea is online now  
post #33 of 1076 Old 04-03-2019, 04:02 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 7
I got quoted original btw cdn$


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Souvlakipita is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 1076 Old 04-03-2019, 04:40 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Mine should be delivered tomorrow. Do these projectors come double boxed or just in the manufacture's box?
calvinwalfred is offline  
post #35 of 1076 Old 04-03-2019, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member
 
billbillw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Atlanta metro
Posts: 790
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvinwalfred View Post
Mine should be delivered tomorrow. Do these projectors come double boxed or just in the manufacture's box?
Usually they are a plain white or brown box. They are packed pretty well, but require signature. If you have the option, I'd hold for pickup. A few years ago, I order an 8500ub that was dirt cheap. I missed the 1st delivery by 30 minutes, the 2nd by 10 minutes and the d-bag driver never showed up for the 3rd day. He lied and said attempted delivery but I was home waiting the whole time. After that, I held it at the FedEx location and got it the next morning. Unfortunately all the delivery attempts had damaged something inside the light engine and I had to send it back. If course they didn't have any more available so I just took the refund.

If it ain't in HD, it ain't worth watching!
billbillw is offline  
post #36 of 1076 Old 04-03-2019, 05:25 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 11,742
Mentioned: 659 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4328 Post(s)
Liked: 4169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al O View Post
Hi, are they giving a full 2 year warranty ? Can you use the Rebate - receive 1 projector lamp if you purchase by 5/31/19 ?


Nope. I asked this question:

————-

Customer By Web Form04/03/2019 02:43 PM
Quick question - the rebate for a free bulb on the 5040UB - does it apply to refurb units sold directly off Epson's webpage? I purchased one of your 5040UB refurbs yesterday (4/2/19) through epson.com and was curious. Here is the rebate form for reference.

https://mediaserver.goepson.com/ImCo...367c3/original

—————————-
Was given this response:

Response Via Email (Curtis G)04/03/2019 04:22 PM
Thank you for contacting Epson.

Sorry, it does not, only for new product.

If you require further assistance with this particular issue, please ensure all of our previous correspondence is contained in your reply, so we can better track the history of this issue.

If you have a different issue, please submit another E-form via our website (http://www.epson.com), and we will respond in a timely manner. Thank you again for contacting Epson.


Curtis G.
Advanced Customer Support Specialist
Epson America, Inc.
Al O likes this.

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
208, 1" tweeters | 52, 5" woofers | 8, 18" subwoofers
Archaea is online now  
post #37 of 1076 Old 04-03-2019, 08:43 PM
Member
 
ezelkow1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
$500 bulb. I thought these epsons were famed for having $100 bulbs?
They aren't 100, but they are 300 from epson, and under 250$ from retailers, at least for the one for the 6020 (I have a 5020 which uses the same one)
ezelkow1 is offline  
post #38 of 1076 Old 04-04-2019, 12:44 PM
Member
 
n84china's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Kirkland, WA
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezelkow1 View Post
They aren't 100, but they are 300 from epson, and under 250$ from retailers, at least for the one for the 6020 (I have a 5020 which uses the same one)
I've purchased a few knockoffs successfully. My current eBay find was under $50 and is close to 4000 hours and going strong. I've never gotten over 1800 hours from the 4-5 Epson bulbs over the years before they died.



I might cheap out on bulbs for newer projectors, but my current setup consists of an 8700ub and a 5020ub. It has helped quell my need to upgrade, even though I closely monitor each new projector that comes out. My mantra is "next year is the year I buy..."
n84china is offline  
post #39 of 1076 Old 04-04-2019, 03:26 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by n84china View Post
I've purchased a few knockoffs successfully. My current eBay find was under $50 and is close to 4000 hours and going strong. I've never gotten over 1800 hours from the 4-5 Epson bulbs over the years before they died.



I might cheap out on bulbs for newer projectors, but my current setup consists of an 8700ub and a 5020ub. It has helped quell my need to upgrade, even though I closely monitor each new projector that comes out. My mantra is "next year is the year I buy..."



Can you please share the source. I find since i changed my bulb to a non Oem- the picture brightness flickers. What could that be!???


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Souvlakipita is offline  
post #40 of 1076 Old 04-04-2019, 03:50 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souvlakipita View Post
Can you please share the source. I find since i changed my bulb to a non Oem- the picture brightness flickers. What could that be!???


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes @n84china if you could share the seller ID for ebay. I’ve had good success on ebay for many things, but it depends a lot on the seller. PM us if you don’t want to post here.

TIA!
Xavier3 is offline  
post #41 of 1076 Old 04-05-2019, 09:37 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by n84china View Post
I've purchased a few knockoffs successfully. My current eBay find was under $50 and is close to 4000 hours and going strong. I've never gotten over 1800 hours from the 4-5 Epson bulbs over the years before they died.



I might cheap out on bulbs for newer projectors, but my current setup consists of an 8700ub and a 5020ub. It has helped quell my need to upgrade, even though I closely monitor each new projector that comes out. My mantra is "next year is the year I buy..."


Can you please share ?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Souvlakipita is offline  
post #42 of 1076 Old 04-05-2019, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 11,742
Mentioned: 659 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4328 Post(s)
Liked: 4169
Refurbished Epson 5040UB - $1,151.00

Not double boxed, but packed in quality custom precision formed foam with a strong cardboard box. (Better than JVC’s crappy styrofoam packaging that always arrives broken and is no good for reshipping)

tomd51, Jets69 and n84china like this.

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
208, 1" tweeters | 52, 5" woofers | 8, 18" subwoofers
Archaea is online now  
post #43 of 1076 Old 04-05-2019, 05:23 PM
Member
 
Willy212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 46
BACK IN STOCK GO GO GO just got one fml
XD LOL back to out of stock .
Willy212 is offline  
post #44 of 1076 Old 04-05-2019, 05:28 PM
Senior Member
 
xbladr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 297
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Dammit I missed it... You snag one

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
xbladr is offline  
post #45 of 1076 Old 04-05-2019, 05:34 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is the remote included?

Folks who have bought it, did you get a remote with the refurb or it was missing? I called and they said only thing guaranteed is projector new lamp and a power cord.
Nitin Deshmukh is offline  
post #46 of 1076 Old 04-05-2019, 05:57 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 11,742
Mentioned: 659 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4328 Post(s)
Liked: 4169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin Deshmukh View Post
Folks who have bought it, did you get a remote with the refurb or it was missing? I called and they said only thing guaranteed is projector new lamp and a power cord.


I got everything expected, but mine was missing the back cord cosmetic cover. No big deal.

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
208, 1" tweeters | 52, 5" woofers | 8, 18" subwoofers
Archaea is online now  
post #47 of 1076 Old 04-05-2019, 06:00 PM
Senior Member
 
xbladr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 297
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I'm going to snag a refurb I swear lol. Playing refresh roulette now. I was trying to use distill but that didn't even see a change or update me

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
xbladr is offline  
post #48 of 1076 Old 04-05-2019, 06:12 PM
LVS
Advanced Member
 
LVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Texas
Posts: 696
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 46
i added to cart, then hit checkout, said your shopping cart is empty.
LVS is offline  
post #49 of 1076 Old 04-05-2019, 06:15 PM
Senior Member
 
xbladr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 297
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVS View Post
i added to cart, then hit checkout, said your shopping cart is empty.
Yea same I even called them right after they said sorry nothing they can do. Cant raincheck or anything which I figured but, wanted to give it a try
xbladr is offline  
post #50 of 1076 Old 04-05-2019, 07:48 PM
Newbie
 
TAorama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Mine came in yesterday. Looks new. Came with remote, power cable, manuals. Best I can tell nothing's missing. Installed it last night and it works perfectly so far!
TAorama is offline  
post #51 of 1076 Old 04-05-2019, 07:50 PM
Member
 
Willy212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Yeah i got one didn't really wanted to use the payment method i used but since it was in a rush it was w/e XD.

So i'm guessing its 2 year warranty correct?
Willy212 is offline  
post #52 of 1076 Old 04-05-2019, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
yadfgp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Meridian, Idaho
Posts: 2,251
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy212 View Post
Yeah i got one didn't really wanted to use the payment method i used but since it was in a rush it was w/e XD.

So i'm guessing its 2 year warranty correct?
Didn't you just get an HT3550?
yadfgp is offline  
post #53 of 1076 Old 04-05-2019, 08:16 PM
Member
 
Willy212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post
Didn't you just get an HT3550?
Yep , I couldn't handle the noise level . So it went back .
Willy212 is offline  
post #54 of 1076 Old 04-05-2019, 08:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
yadfgp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Meridian, Idaho
Posts: 2,251
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy212 View Post
Yep , I couldn't handle the noise level . So it went back .
That sucks, sorry to hear that. I just got mine from projectorpeople which is where I think you got yours also?

And my fan volume is fine, but I sit a good 7 feet or so away from it and to the rear of it so I don't hear it really unless it's really quiet. I'm thinking of sending mine back though because it seems kinda buggy. Mainly the dynamic iris. It's rather useless because it just goes all over the place in brightness for no apparent reason. A scene can be bright but then the iris goes kinda nuts and goes from bright to dark within a matter of seconds.

Did yours do that?

Also I'm really annoyed at the return policy. I have about 13 hours on mine but I'm not allowed to do a straight up exchange or get credit for it? I have to have it repaired?! And then pay a restock fee? LUDICROUS! And they have the nerve to say they garauntee great customer service.
yadfgp is offline  
post #55 of 1076 Old 04-05-2019, 08:36 PM
Member
 
Willy212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post
That sucks, sorry to hear that. I just got mine from projectorpeople which is where I think you got yours also?

And my fan volume is fine, but I sit a good 7 feet or so away from it and to the rear of it so I don't hear it really unless it's really quiet. I'm thinking of sending mine back though because it seems kinda buggy. Mainly the dynamic iris. It's rather useless because it just goes all over the place in brightness for no apparent reason. A scene can be bright but then the iris goes kinda nuts and goes from bright to dark within a matter of seconds.

Did yours do that?

Also I'm really annoyed at the return policy. I have about 13 hours on mine but I'm not allowed to do a straight up exchange or get credit for it? I have to have it repaired?! And then pay a restock fee? LUDICROUS! And they have the nerve to say they guarantee great customer service.

And yes i was watching Hanna in 4k hdr on amazon prime , the first 2 episode have really dark scene & it was really glitchy but i was more annoyed at the fan noise XD.

since i do sit about 3ft from it it was annoying but only when it started to get hot so the fan started to ramp up , but it was cold in my room so i don't understand .

Projectorpeople told you that ?
That's weird i talked to " Miguel ext 2661".
I told him that i couldn't bare the fan noise & he was returning it to benq but benq took to long to send him a label . So he sent me a label to send it to him so he can send it to benq but hes going to refund me on monday .

Talk to Miguel & tell him what's up with your projector .

I think i used the projector for about 10-15hrs but he's sending it to benq hes not keeping it for resale i guess . Plus i kept using the projector more & more since they made me wait about 2 days to get a label .

Also look at it this way hes going to refund me even before the item gets back to them . He just needs that the tracking number is in route .


One thing i'll not like about the epson 5040ub XD that 300$ bulb for only 2-3k hrs. but i'm down.
yadfgp likes this.

Last edited by Willy212; 04-05-2019 at 08:40 PM.
Willy212 is offline  
post #56 of 1076 Old 04-05-2019, 08:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
yadfgp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Meridian, Idaho
Posts: 2,251
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy212 View Post
And yes i was watching Hanna in 4k hdr on amazon prime , the first 2 episode have really dark scene & it was really glitchy but i was more annoyed at the fan noise XD.

since i do sit about 3ft from it it was annoying but only when it started to get hot so the fan started to ramp up , but it was cold in my room so i don't understand .

Projectorpeople told you that ?
That's weird i talked to " Miguel ext 2661".
I told him that i couldn't bare the fan noise & he was returning it to benq but benq took to long to send him a label . So he sent me a label to send it to him so he can send it to benq but hes going to refund me on monday .

Talk to Miguel & tell him what's up with your projector .

I think i used the projector for about 10-15hrs but he's sending it to benq hes not keeping it for resale i guess . Plus i kept using the projector more & more since they made me wait about 2 days to get a label .

Also look at it this way hes going to refund me even before the item gets back to them . He just needs that the tracking number is in route .
That's good to know! Thanks!

I was just reading on projector people's site about their return policy. I guess I should call em up if I want to return this. I just can't see myself keeping this thing if the dynamic iris is this bad. It's unusable.

So that leaves me with the option of sending it back and then waiting who knows how long for a new 1. And then when I do get it, it might have the same problem. So I'm not sure what to do. I originally had my eye on the Epson 5050 coming out so I might just go that route even though the thought of spending that much makes me wanna puke.
yadfgp is offline  
post #57 of 1076 Old 04-05-2019, 09:05 PM
Member
 
Willy212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post
That's good to know! Thanks!

I was just reading on projector people's site about their return policy. I guess I should call em up if I want to return this. I just can't see myself keeping this thing if the dynamic iris is this bad. It's unusable.

So that leaves me with the option of sending it back and then waiting who knows how long for a new 1. And then when I do get it, it might have the same problem. So I'm not sure what to do. I originally had my eye on the Epson 5050 coming out so I might just go that route even though the thought of spending that much makes me wanna puke.

I was thinking the same the epson 5050/5040/4010/benq ht5550 h3k i was about to get the acer v7850 or h7850 just because it was cheap sure it doesn't have the best contrast, but it was silent for its size .Since i don't really need the 18gb hdmi input from the new 5050 + i'm not down on spending 2k+ on a projector XD.

and in the end if i do have any problems i'll say fug it trying the acer if not i'll stick with the optoma uhd50, it was not perfect but it was stable for my needs . Only reason why i didn't stick with the uhd50 was because new projector with no light border where coming out & i still had a few weeks to return it to amazon.

Last edited by Willy212; 04-05-2019 at 09:12 PM.
Willy212 is offline  
post #58 of 1076 Old 04-06-2019, 06:13 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 11,742
Mentioned: 659 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4328 Post(s)
Liked: 4169
Refurbished Epson 5040UB - $1,151.00

If you guys have 3 or 4 grand to spend, and a dedicated, light controller home theater room with black paint, you should really be looking at the JVC RS-540 over the Epson 5050UB. (If my refurb RS-5040 is a valid meterstick.)

I had a JVC RS-600 in my room as a demo unit in 2017. It would make my jaw drop to the floor with the quality of the image regularly. It had inky blacks, looked like it actually threw black on the screen. It was amazing, but I couldn’t personally justify dropping $6k on a projector(especially that had a few nuances (like long signal lock times and poor input lag for gaming) —- but it showed me clearly what a fantastic image a projector could throw. It looked like a giant OLED! This Epson 5040UB I bought is good, but not making the same awestruck impression on me - by any means. It isn’t like a giant OLED at all. The blacks are more grey and you can definitely tell if the projector is on or off (in my light controlled home theater room) on a black image because there is no true black.
I’ve heard the RS-540 (which if you shop around can be found for mid/high $3000 range) should look slightly better than the RS-600 I demoed. So unless the 5050UB does something mind blowingly different with its contrast level, it’s still not going to rival a modern JVC.

The beauty of this Epson 5040UB is the tremendous value/features you are getting for the price and it does throw a really nice sharp picture, but it’s not competitive with the newer JVC projectors in image quality IMO. (Again if my current refurb sample is a fair reference). @MississippiMan has a lot of experience with various projectors. Is that a fair assessment? I’ve only spent a lot of time around a couple equitable newer JVCs and likewise a couple equitable newer Epsons, so I’d admit I don’t have a huge sample size. A couple of my friends have similar. One a RS-520, another a 5040UB, another a 5030UB.

My refurb 5040UB is quite sharp, quite bright, and has perfect focus uniformity on a XLS spreadsheet test on PC, so I can’t complain about the particular unit I got. but it’s black levels just can’t compare to what I recall on that JVC RS-600. I was hoping they’d be closer. I’ve not seen anything yet on the Epson in my demoing time that floors me, like I regularly experienced with the JVC, which leaves me vetting if I should resell or return this Epson and just bite the bullet to buy a JVC RS-540.

Alternately, I use this Epson for a couple years until the HDR dust settles and HDMI 2.1 comes into play. (Which is probably the path I’ll take, because it’s hard for me to financially justify a $3-$4k e-shift projector that I’ll want to upgrade to true 4k again in 3-4 years. This Epson 5040UB is a tick better than my current Panasonic AE8000U, but feels a couple ticks under the JVC true blacks experience.

It still represent a stellar value. Don’t let my post dissuade you from buying this refurb at this price. I’m all in on that — just pointing out that if you have $4k to spend, and a dedicated light controlled room you should be buying a JVC and likely not an Epson.
yadfgp and markmon1 like this.

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
208, 1" tweeters | 52, 5" woofers | 8, 18" subwoofers

Last edited by Archaea; 04-06-2019 at 07:11 AM.
Archaea is online now  
post #59 of 1076 Old 04-06-2019, 06:37 AM
Senior Member
 
xbladr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 297
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
If you guys have 3 or 4 grand to spend, and a dedicated, light controller home theater room with black paint, you should really be looking at the JVC RS-540 over the Epson 5050UB. (If my refurb RS-5040 is a reference stock.)

I had a JVC RS-600 in my room as a demo unit in 2017. It would make my jaw drop to the floor with the quality of the image regularly. It had inky blacks, looked like it actually threw black on the screen. It was amazing, but I couldn’t justify dropping $6k on a projector. This Epson 5040UB I bought is good, but not making the same awestruck impression on me - by any means. I’ve heard the RS-540 (which if you shop around can be found for mid/high $3000 range) should look slightly better than the RS-600 I demoed.

The beauty of this Epson 5040UB is the tremendous value/features you are getting for the price, but it’s not competitive with the newer JVC projectors in image quality IMO. (Again if my sample is a fair reference). @MississippiMan has a lot of experience with various projectors. Is that a fair assessment? Since I’ve only spent a lot of time around a couple equitable newer JVCs and likewise a couple equitable newer Epsons. I’d admit i don’t have a huge same size. A couple of my friends have similar. One a RS-520, another a 5040UB, another a 5030UB.

My refurb 5040UB is quite sharp, quite bright, and has perfect focus uniformity on a XLS spreadsheet test on PC, so I can’t complain about the particular unit I got. but it’s black levels just can’t compare to what I recall on that JVC RS-600. I was hoping they’d be closer. I’ve not seen anything yet on the Epson in my demoing time that floors me, like I regularly experienced with the JVC, which leaves me vetting if I should resell or return this Epson and just bite the bullet to buy a JVC RS-540. Alternately I use this Epson for a couple years until the HDR dust settles more and HDMI 2.1 comes into play. (Which is probably the path I’ll take, because it’s hard for me to financially justify a $3-$4k projector that I’ll want to upgrade again in 3-4 years. This Epson 5040UB is a tick better than my current Panasonic AE8000U, but feels a couple ticks under the JVC true blacks experience.
Yea a lot of that is similar to what I have heard yet haven't been able to experience first hand. If I can get one of these refurbs it goes into my living room. I'm using an alr 1.4 pulsar DES screen as this is more of a TV replacement than a media room TV. This is my only gripe with the jvc is that it's light output for a ton not light controlled is far too weak.

I think that's a good plan for 1k its going to be tough to come close to this for the money. In giving up hdr gaming as I think the value here makes up for that 1 thing I'll lose. Coming from a px747 anything will be a huge upgrade as the 747 is an ebtry level 4k dlp and is mediocre.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
xbladr is offline  
post #60 of 1076 Old 04-06-2019, 07:21 AM
Member
 
mcpfrid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San Diego/ Univ City
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Refurb score

I've been checking the Epson website with religious fervor, looking for about 5 days and scored a 5040UB refurb last night (4:30 PST):
tomd51 and Xavier3 like this.
mcpfrid is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Front Projectors Great Found Deals!

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off