Refurbished Epson 5040UB - $1,151.00 - Page 20 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 139Likes

post #571 of 673 Old 07-05-2019, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post
I called the Epson rebate line at 800-277-6187 to ask about my situation bought 5040 refurb in June, it was defective, a replacement was shipped in July so should I use the June or July lamp rebate form. The person told me the lamp rebate cannot be used for refurb purchases. Of course I'll submit it anyway and hope for the best. So I asked her if the projector had been new for this situation which form to submit and she said July so that's what I'll do.

But those buying the refurb 5040s and submitting the free lamp form are you actually getting the free lamps?
It's been a week since I sent my rebate in and it's not even in the record yet for processing. I believe it takes 2 months to process.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 673 Old 07-05-2019, 07:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwing-DG View Post
It's been a week since I sent my rebate in and it's not even in the record yet for processing. I believe it takes 2 months to process.
Anyone else with a 5040 refurb actually receive a free lamp via rebate coupon?
post #573 of 673 Old 07-05-2019, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
I called the Epson rebate line at 800-277-6187 to ask about my situation bought 5040 refurb in June, it was defective, a replacement was shipped in July so should I use the June or July lamp rebate form. The person told me the lamp rebate cannot be used for refurb purchases. Of course I'll submit it anyway and hope for the best. So I asked her if the projector had been new for this situation which form to submit and she said July so that's what I'll do.

But those buying the refurb 5040s and submitting the free lamp form are you actually getting the free lamps?
Yes we are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #574 of 673 Old 07-05-2019, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 42
What do we all think about this projector compared to the newer Lines? Still hold their own vs the newest competition? Came across this thread and I’m super tempted!
post #575 of 673 Old 07-06-2019, 03:57 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I received confirmation of the free lamp rebate exactly 1 week after mailing it in
WynsWrld98 likes this.
post #576 of 673 Old 07-06-2019, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphy_5 View Post
What do we all think about this projector compared to the newer Lines? Still hold their own vs the newest competition? Came across this thread and I’m super tempted!
For sure there are better newer players but probably not worth the price difference for most people. Even a good 1080p unit is very comparable to this epson but the minor difference and lens memory for 2.35 and 16.9 is really worth it for me. Thera are a handful of scenarios where it's worth the price or not worth it, all depends on your situation.

Denon AVR-X6500h Klipsch RP-8000f RP-440C (4) RP-150MS sides in parallel RB-51 rears, 4 JBL C67P pendants for atmos, 2 monolith 12" subs
Epson 5040UB, Sony Ubp-X700, AC infintiy T9, Nvidia Shield, 142" 2.35 silver ticket screen
post #577 of 673 Old 07-06-2019, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblade44 View Post
It is very strange that after waiting months and months for them to show up .. they now have hundreds of them in the past few weeks... not sure what the reason is.... I suspect they cannot not all be refurb's and some have to be new that they had sitting in stock and cannot sell after the release of the 5050.. but if that were true why would they just not sell them as new at reduced price? The only answer would be ... they do not allow refund's on refurb.. but do allow on new.. so maybe there are a mixture of new and returned units being sold... who knows... we can only guess as they will never tell us...
So on my latest refurb I went into the service menu via holding down Menu key 8 seconds then hitting ESC key twice. It said 1 lamp change. I wonder if that is always set to 1 for new projectors? or 0 for new projectors? The previous refurb I had which was defective that value was set to 2.
post #578 of 673 Old 07-07-2019, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwing-DG View Post
Mines been processing for 5 weeks. It took like 2.5 weeks for it to even show up from when I mailed in the forms.

And people, just a bit of advice, stop calling and asking the rebate line if we are eligible for rebate. Just submit your forms, and if it comes it comes, still a great deal at the end of the day. Too much attention called to this is a good way to get this nixed in a hurry for all of us.
post #579 of 673 Old 07-08-2019, 05:55 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I had tested my projector the other week and it was good to go. Now I mounted it from the ceiling and was running it and ran into two problems. At this focal length, maybe 6" in front of the test range, there is a very slight greenish dust blob. I hadn't even noticed it, but my kid did. I'll have to watch some dark/space scenes to see if it's noticeable in the real world. The other - larger - issue is that a few times I've gotten a blue screen in the middle of watching HDTV that says "Auto Iris Error - Shut down projector and call Epson service." This happened over the weekend, so I didn't call them yet, planning on doing it today. Is this a known/common issue? Any experience/advice you all can share with me? May have to send it back if it's a problem, I guess.
post #580 of 673 Old 07-08-2019, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello,

At one corner i see a pinkish Hue. How do i fix this. I got a refurbished unit. So is this a bad unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-2100.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	830.0 KB
ID:	2588762  
post #581 of 673 Old 07-08-2019, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I had a problem similar to that and called technical support who recommended a replacement. Unless someone else knows how to fix in calibration settings, that's what I would do.
post #582 of 673 Old 07-09-2019, 06:09 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Thank you. Will do that.
post #583 of 673 Old 07-09-2019, 06:44 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Ordered a refurb - now lets see how it turns out to be....

They have qty of 212 available at the time of writing this - wonder where all these refurbs are coming from..
post #584 of 673 Old 07-10-2019, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblade44 View Post
It is very strange that after waiting months and months for them to show up .. they now have hundreds of them in the past few weeks... not sure what the reason is.... I suspect they cannot not all be refurb's and some have to be new that they had sitting in stock and cannot sell after the release of the 5050.. but if that were true why would they just not sell them as new at reduced price? The only answer would be ... they do not allow refund's on refurb.. but do allow on new.. so maybe there are a mixture of new and returned units being sold... who knows... we can only guess as they will never tell us...
Probably because most customers would prefer to spend the extra money on the new hotness instead of less money on the old (new) stuff.
post #585 of 673 Old 07-10-2019, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 1342 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlights View Post
Ordered a refurb - now lets see how it turns out to be....

They have qty of 212 available at the time of writing this - wonder where all these refurbs are coming from..
They are still available. I would like to take advantaged of this, but I just got a new receiver a few months ago and I don't think my wife would say yes to this even at this savings. If it was a good one I would be good until real 4K got cheaper and more things were broadcast in 4K.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
post #586 of 673 Old 07-11-2019, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Received my unit today in the brown box. Set it up on the table and did a quick test. So far no issues to report and everything looks fine.
A service menu check indicated Total Operation Time 0H / Lamp Op Time 0H / Lamp Replacement 2Times. Firmware 113.

Will run it through some more tests to determine if all is good. Surprisingly, the lens didnt appear to be centered to the opening when I pulled out the projector from its box and the lens cover was half open. During initial setup the projector was completely out of focus and lens shift was to set to full right. However upon quick testing the screen appears uniform and no color shifts or fringes or dead pixels. Anything else that I should be looking at?
post #587 of 673 Old 07-11-2019, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Red face

[QUOTE=MississippiMan;57865140]Based upon the title of this Thread and what it pertains to, I'd say that grabbing up a sub-$1200 5040 Refurb would be a stupendous catch. Yep....you certainly can get an huge improvement going with a JVC that sports at least 130K:1 Native (x790r - RS-40)....but the Epson can deliver superb Blacks if mated with the correct screen (Silver Fire / Black Flame / DES ) that give accurate colors while also preserving Gain. Of course those are budget solutions (...even the DES, comparative to higher performing Mfg ALR screens...)

Hello MississippiMan; can you please help me with choosing the right screen. I plan to buy refurb 5040UB from Epson clearance center for about $1250. Right now I have 120" (16:9) white screen. I do have a dedicated light controlled media room. When you said use silver fire screen, does that mean a screen with "silver material color " ? I bought this screen from Amazon by STR for about $250 in white. They have same screen available in "silver material" as well. What do you recommend, or do you recommend a different screen ?

This screen I bought from Amazon.

STR-169120 Silver Ticket 120" Diagonal 16:9 4K Ultra HD Ready HDTV (6 Piece Fixed Frame) Projector Screen White Material

Thank you again for your help. I initially bought Optoma HD27HDR from Amazon. It's a nice projector but not as good as 5040UB. In fact, HD27HDR is bettery image quality than the latest BenQ 4K projector (that I returned after a few days). I have not seen 5040UB in action, but from what I read in this forum (your comments) and other online reviews, it seems like a nice projector.

Thank you sir,

R
post #588 of 673 Old 07-11-2019, 03:09 PM

[QUOTE=MississippiMan;57865140]Based upon the title of this Thread and what it pertains to, I'd say that grabbing up a sub-$1200 5040 Refurb would be a stupendous catch. Yep....you certainly can get an huge improvement going with a JVC that sports at least 130K:1 Native (x790r - RS-40)....but the Epson can deliver superb Blacks if mated with the correct screen (Silver Fire / Black Flame / DES ) that give accurate colors while also preserving Gain. Of course those are budget solutions (...even the DES, comparative to higher performing Mfg ALR screens...)

Hello MississippiMan; can you please help me with choosing the right screen. I plan to buy refurb 5040UB from Epson clearance center for about $1250. Right now I have 120" (16:9) white screen. I do have a dedicated light controlled media room. When you said use silver fire screen, does that mean a screen with "silver material color " ? I bought this screen from Amazon by STR for about $250 in white. They have same screen available in "silver material" as well. What do you recommend, or do you recommend a different screen ?

This screen I bought from Amazon.

STR-169120 Silver Ticket 120" Diagonal 16:9 4K Ultra HD Ready HDTV (6 Piece Fixed Frame) Projector Screen White Material

Thank you again for your help. I initially bought Optoma HD27HDR from Amazon. It's a nice projector but not as good as 5040UB. In fact, HD27HDR is bettery image quality than the latest BenQ 4K projector (that I returned after a few days). I have not seen 5040UB in action, but from what I read in this forum (your comments) and other online reviews, it seems like a nice projector.

Thank you sir,

R
post #589 of 673 Old 07-11-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:

can you please post the link for July rebate form please
post #590 of 673 Old 07-11-2019, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zain R View Post
can you please post the link for July rebate form please
https://epson.com/estore-rebate
post #591 of 673 Old 07-11-2019, 04:02 PM

Quote:
https://epson.com/estore-rebate
Thank you. good man. ordering 5040ub now. Did you get yours ? does it also come with 3D glasses ? some people mentioned they got 2 pairs of 3D glasses, back in April.

Thanks again.
post #592 of 673 Old 07-11-2019, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you. good man. ordering 5040ub now. Did you get yours ? does it also come with 3D glasses ? some people mentioned they got 2 pairs of 3D glasses, back in April.

Thanks again.
I have taken receipt of two 5040 refurb since first one was defective and no 3D glasses in either box.

So far so good on the latest 5040 refurb great convergence razor sharp especially noticeable on text in menus and Windows desktop from my HTPC.

I am curious if brand new A stock 5040s/5050s show zero for # lamp reolacements in the service menu via hold down Menu key 8 seconds then hit Esc twice.
post #593 of 673 Old 07-11-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
I have taken receipt of two 5040 refurb since first one was defective and no 3D glasses in either box.

So far so good on the latest 5040 refurb great convergence razor sharp especially noticeable on text in menus and Windows desktop from my HTPC.

I am curious if brand new A stock 5040s/5050s show zero for # lamp reolacements in the service menu via hold down Menu key 8 seconds then hit Esc twice.
I am sure a brand new would be zero lamp replacements. I shall let you know when i receive mine. in either case, i won't mine as long as i get 2 years warranty. i personally think that these refurbs are hit or miss. but as long as they replacing it with no questions asked ; i would still go for it. thanks again for quick replies. have you tried 4K. right now i have optoma HD27HDR. It's a 1080P projector with 4K enhancement. It's way better than BenQ 4K projector, low fan noise, and half the price. It's 4K enhancement image is better. But I am sure 5040UB would be much much better than Optoma. fingers crossed
post #594 of 673 Old 07-11-2019, 04:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I am sure a brand new would be zero lamp replacements. I shall let you know when i receive mine. in either case, i won't mine as long as i get 2 years warranty. i personally think that these refurbs are hit or miss. but as long as they replacing it with no questions asked ; i would still go for it. thanks again for quick replies. have you tried 4K. right now i have optoma HD27HDR. It's a 1080P projector with 4K enhancement. It's way better than BenQ 4K projector, low fan noise, and half the price. It's 4K enhancement image is better. But I am sure 5040UB would be much much better than Optoma. fingers crossed
I'm blown away by what Netflix 4K looks like from my Intel NUC HTPC resolution set to 4K and get Atmos on select titles. I previously had FireStick 4K and Nvidia Shield but the image and sound I get out of the NUC blows me away. For 4K UHD Blurays I use a Sony x800 also great image on the 5040 incl HDR with a special 5040 preset I setup. With tweaking the blacks on the 5040 are really excellent. Great bang for the buck.
post #595 of 673 Old 07-11-2019, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:

Thanks again.
No glasses here. An April post that mentioned getting glasses was for a different model (5020UB). A new 5020 came with glasses, whereas a new 5040 did not.
post #596 of 673 Old 07-17-2019, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier3 View Post
Mines been processing for 5 weeks. It took like 2.5 weeks for it to even show up from when I mailed in the forms.

And people, just a bit of advice, stop calling and asking the rebate line if we are eligible for rebate. Just submit your forms, and if it comes it comes, still a great deal at the end of the day. Too much attention called to this is a good way to get this nixed in a hurry for all of us.
Indeed! Keep this under the radar!
post #597 of 673 Old 07-17-2019, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I checked my rebate today and it's showing up now, 4 to 6 weeks out. If you are submitting your rebate, just give it time.
post #598 of 673 Old 07-18-2019, 04:58 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 6
i just checked my bulb rebate and it says processing as of 7/10 to wait 6 to eight weeks.
ps i have two pair of epson ELPGS03 glasses that i got with my hc3500
one pair is brand new in the box the other i used to test the 3d but never used other than that if anyone is interested. I don't care for 3d and have no use for the.
PM me if interested.
post #599 of 673 Old 07-18-2019, 06:17 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 74
ARGH! The curse of the refurb has struck me. With a little of 30 hours on mine, it decides at times to simply turn itself off! Happened once in my first 10 hours, then I added a pure sine wave battery back up power conditioner to it, and now it did it last night four times in an hour! No warnings, no messages, it just says "I'm done" and powers it self off!
Anyone else come across this issue? And this SUCKS because I have a nice aligned one with no dust blobs and will be back to playing the refurb lottery..
post #600 of 673 Old 07-19-2019, 05:20 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipca204 View Post
ARGH! The curse of the refurb has struck me. With a little of 30 hours on mine, it decides at times to simply turn itself off! Happened once in my first 10 hours, then I added a pure sine wave battery back up power conditioner to it, and now it did it last night four times in an hour! No warnings, no messages, it just says "I'm done" and powers it self off!
Anyone else come across this issue? And this SUCKS because I have a nice aligned one with no dust blobs and will be back to playing the refurb lottery..
are the orange and blue lights on the side flashing ?
if so that is an indication of an overheating issue.

it just thinks its overheating. I had the same problem with my first refurb after about 40 hours.
I am now on my second projector now so far so good

Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Front Projectors Great Found Deals!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page