Refurbished Epson 5040UB - $1,151.00 - Page 23 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 150Likes

post #661 of 794 Old 08-14-2019, 07:57 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What do you think the odds are that if you bought the refurb unit and kept getting defective ones and sending back that eventually the stock will run out and it will be replaced with a new or even a 5050UB?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 794 Old 08-14-2019, 08:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89fast5oh View Post
What do you think the odds are that if you bought the refurb unit and kept getting defective ones and sending back that eventually the stock will run out and it will be replaced with a new or even a 5050UB?

They're not going to give you a 5050. They'll refund your money long before doing something like that.

From what I understand, a lot of the refurb units will be new... They had to pull from their new stock to make the power supply adjustments or whatever they did to fix the power off issues. The question is just how many are actually new and if they have any of those left. Mine was clearly used before, but we'll see about the next one. I got a text from Fedex saying it should be here today by 4:30... That's pretty damn good, considering I just called Epson customer service yesterday morning.
post #663 of 794 Old 08-14-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTRacerX9 View Post
They're not going to give you a 5050. They'll refund your money long before doing something like that.

From what I understand, a lot of the refurb units will be new... They had to pull from their new stock to make the power supply adjustments or whatever they did to fix the power off issues. The question is just how many are actually new and if they have any of those left. Mine was clearly used before, but we'll see about the next one. I got a text from Fedex saying it should be here today by 4:30... That's pretty damn good, considering I just called Epson customer service yesterday morning.
You are probably right with all that. I was just speculating on what might happen eventually. The Epson site says,

Note: Epson does not accept returns on refurbished items except if product arrives defective, in which case, we will provide a replacement with the same model or equivalent.

I was just thinking if they didn't have suitable 5040s they might swap for the current equivalent model. Which I'm sure wouldn't happen unless you were the last one to get the last refurb that was defective.

A new 5040ub with the $1150 price would be fantastic! I have been debating getting one for a couple weeks now. Usually once a day I put it in my shopping cart on the Epson site, but end up chickening out. lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #664 of 794 Old 08-14-2019, 08:13 AM

Also for those of you who have gotten a good 5040ub refurb. Has there been any other issues to report about longevity of the unit? Anyone who has had a refurb since the start of the sale have any issues that arose after the fact?
post #665 of 794 Old 08-14-2019, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
If you had issues a year plus from now, they might not have any 5040's left to replace yours with and I could see them sending out a refurb 5050 then...

--------------------------------------------------
Source: HTPC w/madVR, Video: Epson 5040, 150" 16:9, Audio: Onkyo RZ 830 avr, 5.1.4 Atmos setup. 5 speaker Energy C Series: L/R C300's, C C-C100, SR/SL C50's, 4 in-ceiling Micca R-8c. Subwoofer: MiniMarty um18 w/NX3000D.
post #666 of 794 Old 08-14-2019, 09:54 AM

...Wow.

Those of you on the fence, act now.

First, hats off to Epson. I called them yesterday morning around 10am my time, and my replacement projector showed up just before 11am today. So in little more than 24 hours I'm here with my new projector. Took half an hour to get it up and running enough to test.

NOW we're talking.

My previous unit was obviously used, scratches on the plastic housing, the lamp clearly wasn't new even though it said 0 hours, dust on the bulb/lens, etc. I also know now that whoever had it first had taken the various stickers off of it... My new unit has several Epson stickers on it that the previous one did not. No visible blemishes of any kind, anywhere. I don't think this was ever purchased by a consumer. I could find no fault with it at all physically, it looks brand new.

Popped in the 4k disc of Captain Marvel again. Immediately I see an absence of dust motes and the menu screens are not showing jagged lines anywhere. After playing a few scenes I'm impressed with the sharpness and brightness in Bright Cinema mode. It will still need some calibrating to be sure, but from what I've read, Bright Cinema gives very accurate color right out of the box and I would say I would agree, though I am no expert.

Then I like to go back to one of my old mainstays, Avatar. This is the 1080P version, but putting it in was more to compare against the 1080p PQ of the Epson 8350 that this 5040 is replacing. Extremely vivid color, no artifacts, and I haven't had time to play with 4k enhancement at all yet.

I got a good one. I do believe this unit is new, though it of course came in a refurb box. Those of you who are on the fence, if you get a good one, you'll be very pleased. I suggest you place your order quickly... before Epson receives this first unit back and ships it out to one of you LOL.
Xavier3 likes this.
post #667 of 794 Old 08-15-2019, 06:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Been stalking the forums for awhile doing projector research for a sub $2500 unit, based on the feedback here sounds like solid deal for really impressive unit (if you get one on the first try). In for one (as of this writing there are 90 units available), let the projector roulette begin ! Scheduled to be delivered tomorrow evening.
post #668 of 794 Old 08-15-2019, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
I got a good one. I do believe this unit is new, though it of course came in a refurb box. Those of you who are on the fence, if you get a good one, you'll be very pleased. I suggest you place your order quickly... before Epson receives this first unit back and ships it out to one of you LOL.
I was just going to mention that I hope I don't get your first one.

However, mine was already shipped and will arrive tomorrow (8/15/2019). I hope I get a good one! Any idea what I should look for? I guess the first thing will be to make sure there are stickers on the unit.

BTW - I also ordered a new receiver to pair with it...the Denon AVR-X2400H. Can't wait to set it all up!
post #669 of 794 Old 08-15-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmecologist View Post
I was just going to mention that I hope I don't get your first one.

However, mine was already shipped and will arrive tomorrow (8/15/2019). I hope I get a good one! Any idea what I should look for? I guess the first thing will be to make sure there are stickers on the unit.

BTW - I also ordered a new receiver to pair with it...the Denon AVR-X2400H. Can't wait to set it all up!

I took the first one into FedEx to return last night, so no one would be getting that one yet, probably not for another week or so assuming they open it up and try to fix the issues with it.

It comes in just a clear plastic bag, I set mine down on the counter under some bright lights where I could really give it a good look-over. These things aren't the easiest in the world for one person to ceiling mount, so flip it over and look at the mounting points and see if you can tell if a projector mount had been previously attached. I could tell on the first one... small marks on the plastic around the screw holes where a mount had been tightened down, and some scratches probably from trying to position the hdmi and power cable. Obviously, you could also look in the menu to see if the bulb had been replaced... this latest one had not, and the first one had. The instructions for doing so are a page or two back.

Good luck!
post #670 of 794 Old 08-15-2019, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I need to find an easier way to take this off a ceiling mount for movies outside. It's just so heavy. My mount has an easy release, but it's just big and bulky

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
post #671 of 794 Old 08-15-2019, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Also for those of you who have gotten a good 5040ub refurb. Has there been any other issues to report about longevity of the unit? Anyone who has had a refurb since the start of the sale have any issues that arose after the fact?
I've had mine for a few months and so far so good. No issues I also got lucky on the first one. *knocking on wood *

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
post #672 of 794 Old 08-16-2019, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1616 Post(s)
Liked: 1184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphx2 View Post
Anyone find a good white colored ceiling mount?
Get the Chief RPMAU-W, it is absolutely one of the best mounts on the market and is available in black, white, or silver. You can use steel drop pipe from Home Depot with a 1.5" plumbing flange, and you can paint both those white yourself quite easily. Chief also sells tubes/ceiling plates in white if you want to spend a fair bit more.

Check eBay for white Chief mounts which are used or a more reasonable price. I sometimes see mounts for well under $100 on eBay, and they will last you for your next 20 projectors.

When I say check eBay... I mean, this is the type of stuff that's there:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chief-Miles...0AAOSwC71cloOZ

That's a $150+ mount for less than half that price. They don't come up at that price all the time, and the link above will likely be gone inside a day or so, but $70 for a RPMAUW is a steal.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.

Last edited by AV_Integrated; 08-16-2019 at 08:58 AM.
post #673 of 794 Old 08-16-2019, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
4th refurb came in.
Serial number X334680597L

For what it's worth Epson DID actually call me and tell me they had one in stock. So at least they came through there.

This one looked good in first turn on with no source hooked up. At least there are no major dustblobs at the first black screen at power on, or on the service menu.

EDIT:

Focus uniformity is fine, but color uniformity/panel uniformity isn’t good. It’s got some color uniformity issues on the right side. It’s a little darker or slightly pinkish on the right side noticeable when you start using it.

PC

BluRay Player pressing play menu from home screen

On the built in test patterns it’s even more noticeable.

I’m trying to determine how much I care...this won’t be very visible in movies but any calibrator would say throw it out I'm guessing.

It gets better (the problem is less visible) as the brightness turns up on the built in test patterns to the point that the 8 of 8 image isn't really noticeable at all, but the 2/8 through say 6/8 is noticeably different hues from left to right of screen. My phone isn’t making it look worse. This is how the color gradient looks in person.

I just got my 1st 5040 refurb and it looks like yours. Mostly the top right section is overly pink on a white screen. Getting ready to send it back.

How do you get to those test image screens on the 5040?

--------------------------------------------------
Source: HTPC w/madVR, Video: Epson 5040, 150" 16:9, Audio: Onkyo RZ 830 avr, 5.1.4 Atmos setup. 5 speaker Energy C Series: L/R C300's, C C-C100, SR/SL C50's, 4 in-ceiling Micca R-8c. Subwoofer: MiniMarty um18 w/NX3000D.
post #674 of 794 Old 08-17-2019, 09:26 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
I took the first one into FedEx to return last night, so no one would be getting that one yet, probably not for another week or so assuming they open it up and try to fix the issues with it.

It comes in just a clear plastic bag, I set mine down on the counter under some bright lights where I could really give it a good look-over. These things aren't the easiest in the world for one person to ceiling mount, so flip it over and look at the mounting points and see if you can tell if a projector mount had been previously attached. I could tell on the first one... small marks on the plastic around the screw holes where a mount had been tightened down, and some scratches probably from trying to position the hdmi and power cable. Obviously, you could also look in the menu to see if the bulb had been replaced... this latest one had not, and the first one had. The instructions for doing so are a page or two back.

Good luck!
It was delivered today. Took a quick look and no evidence of it being ceiling mounted previously. Also, it indeed has the original stickers on it. Not that these are any indication of getting a good unit though...but at least the unit seems to be in 'like new' physical condition.

I suppose I should at least do a preliminary power on test before ceiling mounting it. Seems like the built in test pattern is the best way to do this? It looks like people have been observing color gradient issues in the test pattern ( see posts above ). That will probably be my first test.
post #675 of 794 Old 08-18-2019, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I just checked The Secret menu in mine which arrived about 2 weeks ago it has 0 lamp hours and 0 times of lamp was changed

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
post #676 of 794 Old 08-19-2019, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've been feeling the itch to jump up to 4k (ish) like everyone else and this seems like a good deal knowing you may have to play the refurb roulette game. Just wondering how much of an improvement this would be over my Sony HW55ES.
post #677 of 794 Old 08-19-2019, 01:51 PM

An update... PQ is fantastic, a real step up from the previous Epson 8350, and even a noticeable difference with my 5020 (though admittedly it's not really a fair comparison as the bulb on the 5020 has about 2500 hours on it.) But contrast and brightness are superior with the 5040, dark scenes look much better.

I am having one issue though that so far I have been unable to figure out. I have a Pioneer UDP-LX500 for movies, and a Sony PS4, going to the inputs on my receiver. Using the 4k passthrough functionality of the receiver and the receiver's hdmi out to the projector. Here's the problem... I originally fired up the Pioneer with a movie to adjust the projector screen size, zoom, and lens shift. Got it perfect, have played a few movies, all is well.

Today however, I turned on the PS4. When the projector displays the image, it's no longer projecting a 16x9 image... I do not know why. It's impossible to fill the screen properly (when it works fine with the Pioneer playing movies in the correct aspect ratio.) With the PS4, I suddenly have about 2 inches of black bar on the top of the screen and 1-2 inches of black bar on the bottom, and the image now bleeds onto the screen frame about 3 inches on the right hand side. I've toyed with the settings, and I cannot get it to properly fill the screen with the PS4. I had no problems like this with the 8350. It's either too short of an image height or too wide depending on which part of the screen I size the image for.

Any ideas? I didn't change any settings on anything except swap projectors. As long as movies play as they are supposed to I'm ok, and I'll live with the PS4 not having the correct ratio, but I have no idea why/what is causing this.
post #678 of 794 Old 08-20-2019, 04:04 AM

Just got my projector, man they ship fast. This "specimen" seems to be in great condition, I saw no evidence of it being mounted before and all the stickers are on it. The bulb has been replaced once according to the menu, I not sure how to interpret the "ON/Lamp Off" setting. I feel like there is an ever so slightly pink hue to the right but its very hard to tell, no green globs or anything of that sort. There is dust behind the lens though, but I'm pretty sure that is normal correct me if I am wrong. It was late last night so I only did a few test shots on the wall and man the colors out of this unit and the blacks are amazing coming from an old Acer 5380BD (which is still kicking). I will run a more through gamut of tests later tonight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	2605038   Click image for larger version

Name:	lamp.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	2605040  
post #679 of 794 Old 08-20-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technomage5 View Post
Just got my projector, man they ship fast. This "specimen" seems to be in great condition, I saw no evidence of it being mounted before and all the stickers are on it. The bulb has been replaced once according to the menu, I not sure how to interpret the "ON/Lamp Off" setting. I feel like there is an ever so slightly pink hue to the right but its very hard to tell, no green globs or anything of that sort. There is dust behind the lens though, but I'm pretty sure that is normal correct me if I am wrong. It was late last night so I only did a few test shots on the wall and man the colors out of this unit and the blacks are amazing coming from an old Acer 5380BD (which is still kicking). I will run a more through gamut of tests later tonight.

If you have dust on the lens that isn't usually an issue, it's dust on the bulb that causes you to see "snowballs." You can see it on dark screens pretty clearly, it'll look like lighter circles. Some circles can be quite bright and some are dim, with the last 5040 I got, I had about 20-30 discernible snowballs.

The On/Off lamp setting is just what it says... it is the number of times the bulb has been turned on, and the number of times it has been turned off. Under normal usage, the on setting would be 1 higher than the off setting. Power failures and other things might affect how these numbers are calculated but I'm not sure.
post #680 of 794 Old 08-22-2019, 03:26 AM

Quote:
If you have dust on the lens that isn't usually an issue, it's dust on the bulb that causes you to see "snowballs." You can see it on dark screens pretty clearly, it'll look like lighter circles. Some circles can be quite bright and some are dim, with the last 5040 I got, I had about 20-30 discernible snowballs.

The On/Off lamp setting is just what it says... it is the number of times the bulb has been turned on, and the number of times it has been turned off. Under normal usage, the on setting would be 1 higher than the off setting. Power failures and other things might affect how these numbers are calculated but I'm not sure.

I checked it out again last night, and good news no snowballs in a very dark screen. I didn't see anything serious but I really want to use it for a few hours as I heard others having issues after and hour.
post #681 of 794 Old 08-25-2019, 07:38 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Anyone in this thread got their rebate bulb yet? What was your timeline?

Originally my rebate showed as "Submit Date" Jul 11 - later it changed to "Date Processed" - July 25th and Current Status" shows as In Process. Thats where its been stuck for the last few weeks.

Oddly, I noticed that the Offer shows as EA987 HC5040B/UBE LAMP DEC-JAN where as I had submitted using July rebate form

Last edited by starlights; 08-25-2019 at 07:44 PM.
post #682 of 794 Old 08-25-2019, 08:07 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 625 Post(s)
Quoted: 3896 Post(s)
Liked: 3691
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlights View Post

Originally my rebate showed as "Submit Date" Jul 11 - later it changed to "Date Processed" - July 25th and Current Status" shows as In Process. Thats where its been stuck for the last few weeks.

Oddly, I noticed that the Offer shows as EA987 HC5040B/UBE LAMP DEC-JAN where as I had submitted using July rebate form
where do you check rebate status?

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
post #683 of 794 Old 08-25-2019, 08:13 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 625 Post(s)
Quoted: 3896 Post(s)
Liked: 3691
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinGA View Post
How do you get to those test image screens on the 5040?
https://files.support.epson.com/doci...pz9750unl.html

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
post #684 of 794 Old 08-26-2019, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlights View Post

In Canada, I received my free lamp a couple of weeks ago. Submitted early June and got my confirmation of receipt email June 24. Received the lamp 2nd week of August.

You definitely get it.
post #685 of 794 Old 08-27-2019, 05:20 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lajeunesse View Post
In Canada, I received my free lamp a couple of weeks ago. Submitted early June and got my confirmation of receipt email June 24. Received the lamp 2nd week of August.

You definitely get it.
i submitted my rebate late June they got it on July 10 still haven't received lamp but im not worried.
post #686 of 794 Old 08-27-2019, 06:36 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Btw, this projector kicks ass. Being my first projector, I didn't know what to expect. I haven't really used it yet as I am in process of finishing the basement, but I tested on my living room wall and it blew me away.

Can't wait for hockey season!!
post #687 of 794 Old 08-27-2019, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Btw, this projector kicks ass. Being my first projector, I didn't know what to expect. I haven't really used it yet as I am in process of finishing the basement, but I tested on my living room wall and it blew me away.

Hope you're right, Rick...I just bought a 5040UB refurb on the Epson clearance site for $1,497.00 CDN.

I've had an Epson HC3020 for 7 years now, and the other night we had a lightning storm that knocked out the power, blew out one of the HDMI ports and I suddenly started seeing a growing Blue "stain" growing from the top right hand corner. Epson Tech Support informed me they couldn't do anything, and the local Epson repair guy told me the old projector needed a main board and a new light engine...a $ 1,200.00 touch, so a refurb for a couple of hundred more and I have a "newer" projector. Epson tells me it'll be here in a few days.

Last edited by BillyBarcode`; 08-27-2019 at 01:22 PM.
post #688 of 794 Old 08-27-2019, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBarcode` View Post
Quote:

Hope you're right, Rich...I just bought a 5040UB refurb on the Epson clearance site for $1,497.00 CDN.

I've had an Epson HC3020 for 7 years now, and the other night we had a lightning storm that knocked out the power, blew out one of the HDMI ports and I suddenly started seeing a growing Blue "stain" growing from the top right hand corner. Epson Tech Support informed me they couldn't do anything, and the local Epson repair guy told me the old projector needed a main board and a new light engine...a $ 1,200.00 touch, so a refurb for a couple of hundred more and I have a "newer" projector. Epson tells me it'll be here in a few days.

Just got mine last week. If you live in Ontario it'll be there next day. I got a perfect one I think here and it looks phenomenal. I used to have an ht1070A benq and this one blows it out of the water.
post #689 of 794 Old 08-27-2019, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBarcode` View Post
Hope you're right, Rich...I just bought a 5040UB refurb on the Epson clearance site for $1,497.00 CDN.

Well as they say "all goods things come to those that wait" ... hope you get a good one.
My Cinema Pro 4030 is still looking great but I lost count of how many times I've had one of the 5040s in my Epson basket...lol....
post #690 of 794 Old 08-27-2019, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob80b View Post
Well as they say "all goods things come to those that wait" ... hope you get a good one.
My Cinema Pro 4030 is still looking great but I lost count of how many times I've had one of the 5040s in my Epson basket...lol....
Ouch...Is the 5040 that bad? By the way, Rob...Never did get the good deal on a 4030 like we talked about earlier...However, I thought this might be a good alternative. I have seen lots of complaints about power supplies on UK 5040's, and I have seen complaints about refurbs being delivered scratched, or without remotes or similar, but again, people tend to complain more than they praise...however, since we've had positive interactions before, I value yiour opinion. Doesn't sound like you're happy about 5040's...

Last edited by BillyBarcode`; 08-27-2019 at 01:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Front Projectors Great Found Deals!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page