Refurbished Epson 5040UB - $1,151.00 - Page 24 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 153Likes

Old 08-27-2019, 02:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearcebud View Post
Just got mine last week. If you live in Ontario it'll be there next day. I got a perfect one I think here and it looks phenomenal. I used to have an ht1070A benq and this one blows it out of the water.
Thanks Pearcebud...
I'm in rural central Alberta, and I understand I'll see the unit in 4 or 5 days, according to my purchase confirmation.

Last edited by BillyBarcode`; 08-27-2019 at 02:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2019, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBarcode` View Post
Ouch...Is the 5040 that bad? ....

Not at all...IMHO it's a great deal and with a 2 year exchange warranty a no brainer...
As my 4030 is new it's hard to justify another projector so soon...even though it would be a nice upgrade ....so I give myself all kinds of "lame" excuses for not pushing that "buy" bottom. ... lol
Old 08-27-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob80b View Post
Not at all...IMHO it's a great deal and with a 2 year exchange warranty a no brainer...
As my 4030 is new it's hard to justify another projector so soon...even though it would be a nice upgrade ....so I give myself all kinds of "lame" excuses for not pushing that "buy" bottom. ... lol
OK, thanks, Rob...You had me scared for a minute, since I went ahead with the purchase. We'll see in about a week, according to my purchase confirmation. I didn't order on line, but from a human being at Epson. I'm looking forward to increased resolution, increased brightness and the lens shift on the Fujinon, which would help, as my current setup has some "environmental" issues (Can't hang the projector high enough due to a beam on my ceiling right where the projector needs to be). We'll see. Thanks again for the response. I can sleep now (until the unit arrives).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2019, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Hope you're right, Rick...I just bought a 5040UB refurb on the Epson clearance site for $1,497.00 CDN.

I've had an Epson HC3020 for 7 years now, and the other night we had a lightning storm that knocked out the power, blew out one of the HDMI ports and I suddenly started seeing a growing Blue "stain" growing from the top right hand corner. Epson Tech Support informed me they couldn't do anything, and the local Epson repair guy told me the old projector needed a main board and a new light engine...a $ 1,200.00 touch, so a refurb for a couple of hundred more and I have a "newer" projector. Epson tells me it'll be here in a few days.
That sucks about the old unit. I wonder if a surge protector would have kept it safe? I was thinking about getting one for all my components. Hopefully you get a good 5040 on the first try. I did. Looks brand new and no issues with the picture. With the quantity they have now on Epson.ca, it seems like a lot of good units are going out, maybe even new ones marked as refurbs. 🤞. Let us know how it goes....
Old 08-27-2019, 08:54 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So I just received mine and it has that pink shade in the corners. Honestly it's not that bad unless the screen is mostly white. Anyone know what causes it? Would a new lamp fix it? If not I guess I'll try rolling the dice again.
Old 08-28-2019, 03:38 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth MacLaren View Post
So I just received mine and it has that pink shade in the corners. Honestly it's not that bad unless the screen is mostly white. Anyone know what causes it? Would a new lamp fix it? If not I guess I'll try rolling the dice again.
Post a photo here so we can see how it looks.
Old 08-28-2019, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lajeunesse View Post
Quote:
Hope you're right, Rick...I just bought a 5040UB refurb on the Epson clearance site for $1,497.00 CDN.

I've had an Epson HC3020 for 7 years now, and the other night we had a lightning storm that knocked out the power, blew out one of the HDMI ports and I suddenly started seeing a growing Blue "stain" growing from the top right hand corner. Epson Tech Support informed me they couldn't do anything, and the local Epson repair guy told me the old projector needed a main board and a new light engine...a $ 1,200.00 touch, so a refurb for a couple of hundred more and I have a "newer" projector. Epson tells me it'll be here in a few days.
That sucks about the old unit. I wonder if a surge protector would have kept it safe? I was thinking about getting one for all my components. Hopefully you get a good 5040 on the first try. I did. Looks brand new and no issues with the picture. With the quantity they have now on Epson.ca, it seems like a lot of good units are going out, maybe even new ones marked as refurbs. 🤞. Let us know how it goes....
Im hoping by end of 2021 they wont have any 5040 refurb units left. Ethier we get new ones or 5050 recurbs.
Old 08-28-2019, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Im hoping by end of 2021 they wont have any 5040 refurb units left. Ethier we get new ones or 5050 recurbs.
Make it 1st quarter of 2021! Then I would still be under warranty!! 😉
Old 08-28-2019, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Haha.. yeah once someone sees in this thread that someone got a 5050 as refurb replacement I can see all of us calling in for replacements :-)
Old 08-28-2019, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmecologist View Post
It was delivered today. Took a quick look and no evidence of it being ceiling mounted previously. Also, it indeed has the original stickers on it. Not that these are any indication of getting a good unit though...but at least the unit seems to be in 'like new' physical condition.

I suppose I should at least do a preliminary power on test before ceiling mounting it. Seems like the built in test pattern is the best way to do this? It looks like people have been observing color gradient issues in the test pattern ( see posts above ). That will probably be my first test.
UPDATE :

I have my refurb 5040UB all set up now. It did have a slight LCD alignment issue. When using the PC, I could see a green horizontal line on the bottom of an all white window in WIN10. I did the 'panel alignment' process via the projector settings and after messing with it a couple hours, the green line no longer appears and I am now happy with it.

I tried a few of the calibration setting posted on the main 5040UB thread and then tried out a few 4K NON-HDR videos on YouTube. The picture is absolutely amazing! Coming from a midrange 1080p DLP projector, I now understand what I was missing out on till now.

I then tried switching HDR on in the WIN10 settings...and started having problems. The same 4K videos that worked fine in non-HDR mode now stutter when viewed in HDR mode. It looks to me like this is a common problem. Frankly, HDR in general seems like a mess on the PC side. I did find the following discussion on HDR, etc...that was quite educational for me :

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php...949#pid2238949

There are lots of options as far as HDR is concerned...I would encourage other newbies like me to go to the discussion above and read up.

I may try to set things up in the discussion above to see if I can solve my 4K HDR stutter on PC issue. If anyone has any other ideas, please let me know!

EDIT :

Well crud...I figured it out. According to the chart below, my Nvidia GTX 1070 won't handle 10bit VP9...which YouTube apparently uses for HDR content. Interestingly enough, the Nvidia GTX 1050 *does* support it...probably because the 1050 was released after the 1070 and has an improved decode chipset (?) Gee, confusing enough?

https://developer.nvidia.com/video-e...matrix#Decoder

I guess a new graphics card is in my future at some point....

Last edited by farmecologist; 08-28-2019 at 11:52 AM.
Old 08-28-2019, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
There yah go. Now that I'm testing it, it's especially noticeable when the screen is grey.... Can't really tell in movies but I'd rather get a perfect model If i can
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03243.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	464.6 KB
ID:	2608462   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03242.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	324.2 KB
ID:	2608464  
Old 08-28-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Quote:
There yah go. Now that I'm testing it, it's especially noticeable when the screen is grey.... Can't really tell in movies but I'd rather get a perfect model If i can
I personally cant even see it. Id say youre good to go. Not worth sending it back.and getting a worse one.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I dont see 5040ub listed anymore for their refurbished items

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 08-29-2019, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphx2 View Post

Looks like it's out of stock. Anyone know if these go in and out of stock, or is this a permanent thing?

https://epson.com/Clearance-Center/H...p/V11H713020-N
uga96gal likes this.
Old 08-29-2019, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Yeah, I think you're good. I was worried when I got mine too. You can check my post #507 . Go to Color Uniformity setting to see if it gets any worse.
Old 08-29-2019, 12:34 PM

This is mine. Bit of green on the right side. Cant tell unless u pull up a full grey screen. Cant see it in any videos or.images ever so i might just send it back in 6 months to get a new one for fun😂
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190829_005303_1567103634169.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	266.9 KB
ID:	2608720  
Old 08-29-2019, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphx2 View Post

My refurbished 5040ub just arrived this week but was DOA - customer service can't provide a date when they can send a replacement as they're out of stock. The replacement warranty for defective units isn't quite as good as it sounded.
Old 08-29-2019, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davvos View Post
My refurbished 5040ub just arrived this week but was DOA - customer service can't provide a date when they can send a replacement as they're out of stock. The replacement warranty for defective units isn't quite as good as it sounded.
You may be able to get thru to the warranty department if you ask. Apparently you can get a replacement if you talk to them....the only thing is that they put a hold on your cc.
Old 08-29-2019, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks, I'll follow up.
Old 08-30-2019, 04:15 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by uga96gal; 08-30-2019 at 08:38 AM.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davvos View Post
I just bought a 5040UB refurb (I'm in Canada), and mine shipped from Indianapolis, so maybe they have stock again...I'm told it'll be here on Spetmber 4th.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lajeunesse View Post
It'll be here on Sept. 4th. I checked the CDN Clearance Centre, and it's not listed there now...Hope I don't have issues with the refurb, as it seems they are out of stock on both sides of the border. My tracking shows mine was shipped from Indianapolis, and the US site shows them as being out of stock. I'll let you guys know how this one works when it arrives.
Old 09-01-2019, 08:44 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 629 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3916 Post(s)
Liked: 3724
If the bulb rebate says in process from July 24...(takes 6-8 weeks to process the page says) does that usually mean you are good? Or did yours change out of In Process to something else?

Submission Type: Original Submission
Current Status: In Process
Date Processed: Jul 24 2019
Check Print Date: Not available
Check Ship Date: Not available

Your rebate request for the offer shown above is currently being processed. Please allow 6 - 8 weeks from the Date Received shown above for processing.

Archaea's 9.12.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
Old 09-02-2019, 06:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
If the bulb rebate says in process from July 24...(takes 6-8 weeks to process the page says) does that usually mean you are good? Or did yours change out of In Process to something else?

Your rebate request for the offer shown above is currently being processed. Please allow 6 - 8 weeks from the Date Received shown above for processing.
I have the same message on mine and its from july 10, still waiting.
Old 09-02-2019, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Mine actually was “in process” for like 10 weeks, and then magically the lamp showed up at my door. I never got my status changed, and i never called or emailed. So I think if its In Process, it means you’re good and will get it for sure in due time.
Archaea likes this.
Old 09-03-2019, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Still shows out of stock. I'm in US. Is there a Canadian site I can check as well

BR

I love my TiVo and "That that shall not be named" box
Old 09-04-2019, 06:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnie_raitt View Post
Still shows out of stock. I'm in US. Is there a Canadian site I can check as well

Just search for 5040 on https://epson.ca/.....It will not show up in the clearance center (bottom right of home screen) when out of stock....

here's the direct link....bookmark it.

https://epson.ca/Clearance-Centre/Ho...p/V11H713020-N
Old 09-04-2019, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Is there any similar offer available in the EU, an TW 9300?
Old 09-05-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
It'll be here on Sept. 4th. I checked the CDN Clearance Centre, and it's not listed there now...Hope I don't have issues with the refurb, as it seems they are out of stock on both sides of the border. My tracking shows mine was shipped from Indianapolis, and the US site shows them as being out of stock. I'll let you guys know how this one works when it arrives.
Hi, Rick...My 5040UB refurb showed up yesterday. This thing is a Monster! Unbelievable blacks, brightness and sharpness...so much more than my old HC3020. Some examples are attached. I couldn't be happier. Looks like I got a good one!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PJ1.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	2611362   Click image for larger version

Name:	PJ2.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	2611364   Click image for larger version

Name:	PJ3.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	2611368  
Xavier3 likes this.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Hi, Rick...My 5040UB refurb showed up yesterday. This thing is a Monster! Unbelievable blacks, brightness and sharpness...so much more than my old HC3020. Some examples are attached. I couldn't be happier. Looks like I got a good one!
That's great to hear Billy! Glad it worked out for you and you got a keeper.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement