Refurbished Epson 5040UB - $1,151.00 - Page 27 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 157Likes

post #781 of 823 Old 10-17-2019, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 638 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3967 Post(s)
Liked: 3759
My experience with lamp flicker has always been resolved with a cheap voltage regulating UPS. NOT just a passive battery backup UPS; but an online, active, smart UPS with voltage regulation.

All my projectors since about 2004 have flickered without it in Kansas City power.

You can find an old APC “smart” UPS on Craigslist for next to nothing. Put $50 of batteries in it and be safeguarded and flicker free for about five years before you have to buy new batteries again. Usually the model number starts with SU. A 1000VA is good for about 600 watts.

If used isn’t your thing you can get a CyberPower active UPS for about $100-$150 on slick deals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archaea's 9.12.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 823 Old 10-17-2019, 05:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Just received my refurbished 5040UB today. When the screen is pitch black, I noticed what looks like a small dead pixel near the bottom of the screen. You have to get close to screen to notice the greenish looking spot. When I have an image on the screen like the blue lens focusing screen, I don't see the small greenish spot. Is this a dust blob? I hate to play the refurbished roulette with Epson. Please advise on what this could be.
post #783 of 823 Old 10-17-2019, 09:32 PM

A stuck pixel would be INCREDIBLY small and defined. A dust blob is less defined and much larger than a single pixel.

A stuck pixel also would always be one color by definition of being stuck. You would see it on any image, and you’d not ever notice that from your seat I don’t think.

Web search dust blob vs stuck pixel images. They are very different visually.

(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #784 of 823 Old 10-18-2019, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
A stuck pixel would be INCREDIBLY small and defined. A dust blob is less defined and much larger than a single pixel.

A stuck pixel also would always be one color by definition of being stuck. You would see it on any image, and you’d not ever notice that from your seat I don’t think.

Web search dust blob vs stuck pixel images. They are very different visually.
Based on you comments, it is definitely a stuck pixel. The spot is very small. From a distance, I do not notice it. You have to get really close to the screen to notice the spot.

So the next question is how to get rid of the stuck pixel? In addition, is it worth sending the unit back to Espon for another unit? Currently the unit is out of stock right now.
post #785 of 823 Old 10-18-2019, 06:55 AM

Refurbished Epson 5040UB - $1,151.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by pglover19 View Post
Based on you comments, it is definitely a stuck pixel. The spot is very small. From a distance, I do not notice it. You have to get really close to the screen to notice the spot.

So the next question is how to get rid of the stuck pixel? In addition, is it worth sending the unit back to Espon for another unit? Currently the unit is out of stock right now.

If that’s the only thing wrong with it and you can’t see it from the seats then I wouldn’t worry about it personally. I had four units that were much worse with dust artifacts and pink color distortions you could EASILY see from the seats. Consider you could probably get it replaced at any point over the next two years of warranty if something worse happens and you may even luck out that the outgoing 5040UB model is unavailable and they upgrade you to the 5050UB model towards your 2 year warranty end if you decide it bothers you at later point. A dead or stuck pixel is not a sign of impending failure. It’s a very minor manufacturing defect in an LCD screen panel and you may use it for a typical lifetime with no expectation of further than beyond normal degeneration as compared to a perfect LCD screen. Some manufacturers won’t won’t even cover a dead or stuck pixel. Or they may have a minimum quantity that has to be present before replacement (ie three or six or whatever). I do not know Epson’s policy on stuck pixels — but you have to determine if you are willing to fire off a game of refurb roulette over something you can’t see from your theater seats?

There are stuck pixel fixers and dead pixel fixers that sometimes work. You could try one. Web search for additional examples.

Here’s an example of a web-based one
http://www.jscreenfix.com

Last edited by Archaea; 10-18-2019 at 07:00 AM.
post #786 of 823 Old 10-18-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:
If that’s the only thing wrong with it and you can’t see it from the seats then I wouldn’t worry about it personally. I had four units that were much worse with dust artifacts and pink color distortions you could EASILY see from the seats. Consider you could probably get it replaced at any point over the next two years of warranty if something worse happens and you may even luck out that the outgoing 5040UB model is unavailable and they upgrade you to the 5050UB model towards your 2 year warranty end if you decide it bothers you at later point. A dead or stuck pixel is not a sign of impending failure. It’s a very minor manufacturing defect in an LCD screen panel and you may use it for a typical lifetime with no expectation of further than beyond normal degeneration as compared to a perfect LCD screen. Some manufacturers won’t won’t even cover a dead or stuck pixel. Or they may have a minimum quantity that has to be present before replacement (ie three or six or whatever). I do not know Epson’s policy on stuck pixels — but you have to determine if you are willing to fire off a game of refurb roulette over something you can’t see from your theater seats?

There are stuck pixel fixers and dead pixel fixers that sometimes work. You could try one. Web search for additional examples.

Here’s an example of a web-based one
http://www.jscreenfix.com
So I am using a Da-lite High Contrast Cinema Vision (HCCV) screen, a gray screen rated at 1.1 gain with the 5040UB projector. From the start just using the default settings, I noticed some graininess and sparkle on the picture. I then tried Dave Harper SDR settings and the picture is better but there still is some graininess and sparkle from my viewing distance of 13 foot.

Is it time for me to upgrade my Da-Lite screen, is it my HDMI cable, or should I tweak the settings some more?

Last edited by pglover19; 10-18-2019 at 06:46 PM.
post #787 of 823 Old 10-18-2019, 06:55 PM

Quote:
So I am using a Da-lite High Contrast Cinema Vision (HCCV) screen, a gray screen rated at 1.1 gain with the 5040UB projector. From the start just using the default settings, I noticed some graininess and sparkle on the picture. I then tried Dave Harper SDR settings and the picture is better but there still is some graininess and sparkle from my viewing distance of 13 foot.

Is it time for me to upgrade my Da-Lite screen, is it my HDMI cable, or should I tweak the settings some more?

A gray screen with a 1.1 gain rating will absolutely have “sparkles” (think crushed reflectors mixed into the screen material to get back > 1.0 gain). To remedy that, I’m afraid you’ll have to change your screen. The Epson projector does NOT inherently produce a sparkly image.

As to graininess - try turning off or down image enhancement and see what you think.

post #788 of 823 Old 10-18-2019, 07:06 PM

Quote:
A gray screen with a 1.1 gain rating will absolutely have “sparkles” (think crushed reflectors mixed into the screen material to get back > 1.0 gain). To remedy that, I’m afraid you’ll have to change your screen. The Epson projector does NOT inherently produce a sparkly image.

As to graininess - try turning off or down image enhancement and see what you think.
I turned off the "Image Enhancement" and it helped the graininess a little. Still seeing sparkles.

I am currently repurposing an upstairs room over the garage as a home theater room. I have windows treatment (Lutron motorized shades) to blacken the room as much as possible. During the night it gets totally dark in the room. During the day, there is some daylight, but very little.

What screen do you recommend for the 5040UB projector?
post #789 of 823 Old 10-18-2019, 07:26 PM

I don’t get too excited about different screen material personally. Any inexpensive screen advertising over 1.0 is going to have sparkles and by the time you get to 1.2 or 1.3 even the expensive screens will have sparklies. (IMO).

I don’t like any of that. I had a DaLite high contrast cinema screen and it had sparklies too. I wasn’t a fan. I ditched that and went to a diy screen with JoAnnes blackout cloth which is a rubberized shade cloth that is inexpensive - works great and very popular in the DIY community. Ultimately I like acoustic transparent screens because I prefer to have my speakers behind the screen. Seymour XD is my favorite material I’ve seen personally (higher gain but no sparkles - it’s almost like a plastic coated cloth weave) - but has gaps in the weave so it is acoustic transparent. It’s not what you want unless you have speakers behind your screen. Chris at Seymour will send you free samples for testing if interested in the various types he sells. He’s a very solid vendor, who comes highly recommend at avsforum. There are whole subforums here dedicated to screen material tech. You can get lost in it and I for one don’t think it matters too much once you get to a competent screen material level —- and it doesn’t cost that much to get there.

http://www.seymourav.com/?gclid=EAIa...SAAEgKMR_D_BwE

post #790 of 823 Old 10-18-2019, 07:43 PM

Quote:
I don’t get too excited about different screen material personally. Any inexpensive screen advertising over 1.0 is going to have sparkles and by the time you get to 1.2 or 1.3 even the expensive screens will have sparklies. (IMO).

I don’t like any of that. I had a DaLite high contrast cinema screen and it had sparklies too. I wasn’t a fan. I ditched that and went to a diy screen with JoAnnes blackout cloth which is a rubberized shade cloth that is inexpensive - works great and very popular in the DIY community. Ultimately I like acoustic transparent screens because I prefer to have my speakers behind the screen. Seymour XD is my favorite material I’ve seen personally (higher gain but no sparkles - it’s almost like a plastic coated cloth weave) - but has gaps in the weave so it is acoustic transparent. It’s not what you want unless you have speakers behind your screen. Chris at Seymour will send you free samples for testing if interested in the various types he sells. He’s a very solid vendor, who comes highly recommend at avsforum. There are whole subforums here dedicated to screen material tech. You can get lost in it and I for one don’t think it matters too much once you get to a competent screen material level —- and it doesn’t cost that much to get there.

http://www.seymourav.com/?gclid=EAIa...SAAEgKMR_D_BwE
Unfortunately I will need a tab tensioned motorized screen. The screen needs to cover a window when it goes down. When the screen is up, the window is useable and I have a decorative curtain hiding the fascia of the tab tensioned screen. Any recommendation?
post #791 of 823 Old 10-18-2019, 07:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Unfortunately I will need a tab tensioned motorized screen. The screen needs to cover a window when it goes down. When the screen is up, the window is useable and I have a decorative curtain hiding the fascia of the tab tensioned screen. Any recommendation?
Xyscreens is supposed to be great. I have a vividscreen brand motorized 120" ALR from amazon

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
post #792 of 823 Old 10-21-2019, 07:20 PM

I am thinking about just replacing my 92" tab tensioned Da-lite High Contrast Cinema Vision (HCCV) screen with another Da-Lite tab tensioned screen. The larger size that will fit in my room is 110". I called Da-Lite today and they recommended the Tensioned Contour Electrol with the HD Progressive .60 gain material.

Any other recommendation on the Da-Lite screen material that is a good match for the 5040UB?
post #793 of 823 Old 10-21-2019, 07:58 PM

.60 is pretty low. Why did they recommend such a low gain for you?

post #794 of 823 Old 10-22-2019, 04:48 AM

Quote:
.60 is pretty low. Why did they recommend such a low gain for you?
No sure. I told Da-Lite my room setup. What screen material from Da-Lite would you recommend?
post #795 of 823 Old 10-22-2019, 06:46 AM

Quote:
No sure. I told Da-Lite my room setup. What screen material from Da-Lite would you recommend?

I don’t know what material from da-lite to recommend. As I mentioned I don’t get too excited about screen material, but unless there is a specific reason otherwise - it’s more typical to recommend gain in the .8 to 1.1 range. .6 would typically be for a very small screen (say 80”) or a completely light controlled room with a very bright projector.

Personally speaking. I’ve seen white drywalls with a wrapped velvet frame tacked on look as good as a projector screen. Behrer makes a paint for this purpose called silverscreen. Or there is a popular DIY paint mix called Silverfire.

Screens get overrated IMO. Frankly, Joan’s blackout cloth looks nearly as good as any high end screen I’ve seen. (That sometimes cost many thousands)

I know you don’t have those options since you want tab tensioned and electric.

I was just pointing out .6 gain is a little eyebrow raising - because by design you are losing 40% of your lumen count right out of the gate. Your screen at 110” isn’t that small and your room isn’t light controlled. I was just asking the logic behind your salesman’s choice? He should be able to explain his recommendation. Maybe DaLite has to go all the way down to .6 before they’ve removed all of the material on their screens that introduce sparklies? If so - maybe you should consider another brand. Or perhaps it’s a darker screen material to help reject ambient light from the windows in your room and that would make more sense in your room. The Epson 5040UB can be a fairly bright projector in Bright Cinema mode.

Most cheap screens won’t include the reflective sparkly property. Sort of ironic because it’s now undesirable in the realm of higher lumen projectors, yet costs more to manufacture.

Amazon sells inexpensive screens that are very well reviewed. Take a stroll down their isles

Ultimately, don’t take one guys word on this. Visit the projector screen subforum and read up. In the end, don’t lose sleep over this choice because it’s just not that big of a deal most of the time. A cheap screen material with a .8 - 1 rating should do just fine and would be a typical recommendation and use case.
old corps likes this.

Last edited by Archaea; 11-13-2019 at 08:56 AM.
post #796 of 823 Old 10-22-2019, 06:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 22
My first screen was Joanna's blackout. now I have a vividstorm 120" ALR that they messed up on price and I got it for free. Hehe

post #797 of 823 Old 10-23-2019, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphx2 View Post
My first screen was Joanna's blackout. now I have a vividstorm 120" ALR that they messed up on price and I got it for free. Hehe

I have been doing a lot of research over the last couple of days and have decided to bit the bullet and get a Stewart tab tensioned 110" projector screen. I'm hoping this will be my final screen and will be future proof as well.

The screen material choice is what I am struggling with right now. I have narrowed the choices to:

ST130 screen
ST100 screen
Cima Neve screen
m0j0 likes this.
post #798 of 823 Old 11-08-2019, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 31
got a 5040 ube refurbished from epson today if people are still looking they didt have the 5040ub in stock dont need the wireless ,still a good deal how long did it take epson to ship on the first order?

Last edited by madermat; 11-09-2019 at 07:03 AM.
post #799 of 823 Old 11-09-2019, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by madermat View Post
got a 5040 ube refurbished from epson today if people are still looking they didt have the 5040ub in stock dont need the wireless ,still a good deal how long did it take epson to ship on the first order?
Me too - tossed up a new thread in case others would be interested.
post #800 of 823 Old 11-12-2019, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Seems like there still 98 available as of right now ... buy it or wait for tk850? Epson upped the price by the way, due to I don't know maybe exchange rate, it used to be lower priced. In any way you look at it, it is relatively old technology ...

Last edited by olegg; 11-12-2019 at 08:55 AM.
post #801 of 823 Old 11-12-2019, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by olegg View Post
Seems like there still 98 available as of right now ... buy it or wait for tk850? Epson upped the price by the way, due to I don't know maybe exchange rate, it used to be lower priced. In any way you look at it, it is relatively old technology ...
The 5040UB and the TK850 are for different types of environment and use.
The 5040UB has much better contrast and blacks, covers the DCI-P3 color spectrum, has better lens, motorized lens with memory, lens shift, greater variance in throw range, probably brighter. Has ~25ms lag.

The TK850 is a sports/ambient light type projector, with a non RGBRGB color wheel. Does not cover the DCI-P3 color spectrum. Has a 18GB HDMI chip vs the 10GB on the Epson, so more bandwidth. Has support for HLG, the Epson does not. Has 50-80ms lag.

In a room treated for wall reflections the 5040UB would be great. Even in an untreated room it would probably beat the TK850 PQ wise.
olegg likes this.
post #802 of 823 Old 11-12-2019, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Thanks, maybe I should buy it. I have been researching a lot for a projector and leaning toward Epson 5040 due to its price mainly. The downside for my environment is that I only can get maximum 115 inches image.

Also, I have only noticed now Epson did not increase the price this is the WiFi HDMI version, that is why it is more expensive.
post #803 of 823 Old 11-12-2019, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I am also having difficulty deciding about getting the 5040ube refurb vs 5050. Is it clear that the power supply issues are taken care of with the refurb units?
post #804 of 823 Old 11-13-2019, 12:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I was really considering getting this projector instead of my planned Benq HT3550 BUT, I'm glad I spent a few hours researching it... Did you guys see the insane number of power supply problems this model has???! I mean come on now, there are people who are on their 3rd/4th and 5th exchange units from Epson!! Customer care is one thing but how annoying is it, if this thing randomly fails when you are watching a movie etc!

Seems like another problem is the HDMI ports going dead or the lamp dying after alot less hours...

I honestly don't know now about getting it - Yes the picture is amazing but whats the use if its gonna randomly die lol. Does anyone know if they REALLY fixed the power supply problem instead of repairing it over and over again then putting it back out as cheaper refurbished units?

I'm tempted to call them and check...
post #805 of 823 Old 11-13-2019, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Not sure of the power supply issue has been fixed I would think so its been going on a long time .Mine came in Tuesday looks good didn't get the wireless to work yet but i'am sure thats something iam doing
convergence looks good pic looks good focus looks good color uniformity looks fine but havnt messed with that one yet This projector has some darn good colors and brightness
post #806 of 823 Old 11-13-2019, 08:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by madermat View Post
Not sure of the power supply issue has been fixed I would think so its been going on a long time .Mine came in Tuesday looks good didn't get the wireless to work yet but i'am sure thats something iam doing
convergence looks good pic looks good focus looks good color uniformity looks fine but havnt messed with that one yet This projector has some darn good colors and brightness

How's the 3D? I heard of some having severe ghosting and had to be sent in...
post #807 of 823 Old 11-14-2019, 08:57 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Somebody mentioned on this forum, that lately the power supplies had been fixed.
The 3550 has some issues as well.

Living Room: Samsung UN65JS8500,Onkyo TX-NR676,Klipsch R-28F,Klipsch RC-62II,Klipsch R-14S,Polk Audio 80 FX/RT(Atmos)
Bedroom: Samsung UN55MU6290,Onkyo TX-RZ610,Onkyo & Fluance speakers
Garage: Epson 5040UB,Elite Screens 125" motorized screen,2xKlipsch RP-160M,4xKlipsch RP-150M,Klipsch RP-450C ,2xKlipsch CDT-3800CII/2xCDT3650CII,Klipsch R115SW/R110SW
post #808 of 823 Old 11-14-2019, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Between here and slickdeals, it seems the power supply thing is more fear of the past than anything. I don't recall reading people having that issue with the refurbs. Seemed to be more with dust blobs and such.

Is there really a better than 1080 projector in the sub $2k range that is issue free?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
post #809 of 823 Old 11-14-2019, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by momofx View Post
I was really considering getting this projector instead of my planned Benq HT3550 BUT, I'm glad I spent a few hours researching it... Did you guys see the insane number of power supply problems this model has???! I mean come on now, there are people who are on their 3rd/4th and 5th exchange units from Epson!! Customer care is one thing but how annoying is it, if this thing randomly fails when you are watching a movie etc!

Seems like another problem is the HDMI ports going dead or the lamp dying after alot less hours...

I honestly don't know now about getting it - Yes the picture is amazing but whats the use if its gonna randomly die lol. Does anyone know if they REALLY fixed the power supply problem instead of repairing it over and over again then putting it back out as cheaper refurbished units?

I'm tempted to call them and check...
It took me 2 tries to get a good unit.

Remember you get a full 2 year warranty on this (yes it applies to refurbished units), and epson is very easy to work with and covers all defects/issues over the 2 year period.

Plus, in 2 years time they'll likely not have any more 5040's, so you may end up with a free upgrade to a refurbished 5050 model if your 5040 has issues!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

--------------------------------------------------
Source: HTPC w/madVR, Video: Epson 5040, 150" 16:9, Audio: Onkyo RZ 830 avr, 5.1.4 Atmos setup. 5 speaker Energy C Series: L/R C300's, C C-C100, SR/SL C50's, 4 in-ceiling Micca R-8c. Subwoofer: MiniMarty um18 w/NX3000D.
post #810 of 823 Old 11-14-2019, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Here is a data point for the mail-in lamp rebate. I likely am the last person to receive it as I have not seen anyone mention it in a while. I almost called them to ask what was going on!

I submitted my rebate July 23rd. The date processed originally said Aug 01 2019 - then weeks later changed to Aug 9 2019.
Received yesterday, Nov 13, 2019 (I am in Canada). It was sent using UPS - sender was ARCHWAY MARKETING SERVICES,INC.

113 days since I mailed it in. (16.1 weeks)
96 days since date processed. (13.5 weeks)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Front Projectors Great Found Deals!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page