Refurbished Epson 5040UB - $1,151.00 - Page 34 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 197Likes

post #991 of 1076 Old 04-29-2020, 05:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
I don't think it comes with an extra lamp on the refurb. It just says the projector in the box.
there was a spare lamp offer when i bought my back in july. I did get the spare lamp after mail in rebate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1076 Old 05-01-2020, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I ordered my re manufactured 5040ub direct from Epson on the 28th with overnight shipping and I never got a call or an email with a tracking number, just two emails when I ordered it saying the order was confirmed.

I reached out to their chat team which was not helpful and I called in twice and an agent told me that due to COVID19 they are having a delay shipping out and will get back to me.

I asked them to waive the fee for overnight shipping and they said no way. So.. yeah.
post #993 of 1076 Old 05-06-2020, 06:01 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Mine is out for delivery today. Ordered on Friday, got a call within minutes and confirmed I placed the order. Shipped on Monday. Pretty fast and I paid for ground shipping. Very excited to boot this up, knocking on wood there are no issues with the projector and bulb!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #994 of 1076 Old 05-15-2020, 06:25 PM

I'm pretty let down with Epsons definition of factory refurbished.

I have three 5040UBs sitting on my kitchen table right now.

The first one looked great but was dusty in the bag when it arrived. The airfilter was brand new, but the bulb was not. I was able to know that by inspecting the lamp housing and seeing dust on it / plastic discoloration from the heat located on the black wall of plastic directly behind the lamp. They didn't clean out any of the dust in the passageways, they just slapped a new air filter in it and reset the system hours.

So going into the service menu (hold menu for 8 seconds, press escape twice, left right) I was shown 0 hours on the projector and 0 hours on the bulb.

Then I saw that it had dust on the LCD panels, a splotch was on it in black scenes. So I call Epson, they put a nice $1400 hold on my card and ship me another refurb. This one has as much if not more dust on it, 761 hours recorded on the projector and 0 on the bulb. But that was a lie, because the bulb was dusty and had the same tell tale mild burning of the plastic in the lamp housing. This one didn't have a dust spot but it was flickering.

So I call them back and ask them to define refurbished. I ask if they clean these projectors out, they said yes, then I explain I've gotten two that didn't get cleaned and both with issues. So they ship me a 3rd that... well you guessed it. New filter, but dusty internals and a used bulb. And fit and finish issues, the body has been opened and they didn't snap the plastic case back correctly. I haven't turned it on yet but I'm surprised that this counts as refurbishment. Am I out of line here?

I like the quality of the projected image very much, and the motorized controls are outstanding for the price. But man, I was hoping for it to be at least cleaned out. Or just let me know what the hours were so I can plan ahead.

Last edited by winternacht; 05-15-2020 at 06:28 PM.
post #995 of 1076 Old 05-16-2020, 03:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 1973 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by winternacht View Post

The first one looked great but was dusty in the bag when it arrived. The airfilter was brand new, but the bulb was not. I was able to know that by inspecting the lamp housing and seeing dust on it / plastic discoloration from the heat located on the black wall of plastic directly behind the lamp. They didn't clean out any of the dust in the passageways, they just slapped a new air filter in it and reset the system hours.

So going into the service menu (hold menu for 8 seconds, press escape twice, left right) I was shown 0 hours on the projector and 0 hours on the bulb.

Then I saw that it had dust on the LCD panels, a splotch was on it in black scenes. So I call Epson, they put a nice $1400 hold on my card and ship me another refurb. This one has as much if not more dust on it, 761 hours recorded on the projector and 0 on the bulb. But that was a lie, because the bulb was dusty and had the same tell tale mild burning of the plastic in the lamp housing. This one didn't have a dust spot but it was flickering.

So I call them back and ask them to define refurbished. I ask if they clean these projectors out, they said yes, then I explain I've gotten two that didn't get cleaned and both with issues. So they ship me a 3rd that... well you guessed it. New filter, but dusty internals and a used bulb. And fit and finish issues, the body has been opened and they didn't snap the plastic case back correctly. I haven't turned it on yet but I'm surprised that this counts as refurbishment. Am I out of line here?

I like the quality of the projected image very much, and the motorized controls are outstanding for the price. But man, I was hoping for it to be at least cleaned out. Or just let me know what the hours were so I can plan ahead.
Fourth time's the charm.

The way to deal with these customer service types is to be almost belligerent. They will try other things, that are not regular procedure.
post #996 of 1076 Old 05-18-2020, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
Fourth time's the charm.

The way to deal with these customer service types is to be almost belligerent. They will try other things, that are not regular procedure.

Thank you. I wasn't belligerent but I was firm that this problem needs to be fixed and they kicked me over to a stateside tech who talked to me about the problems. He said that it's incredibly rare for people to get refurbs that are dusty and I said "you might wanna check out avsforums " and he said epson sells so many projectors a year. Heh.

Anyways, he agreed it was all bull**** but said I should handle the shipping back myself (they didn't want to arrange a pickup, said it would take too long to set up). For the trouble they are shipping me a new bulb on top of the one they are putting in the projector.

I guess we will see what's next.
post #997 of 1076 Old 05-19-2020, 08:52 AM

Liked: 1
I finally purchased the 5040ube at 5 AM this morning. I haven't received a call from Epson to confirm, should I be worried? I was reading through this thread and several people have had their orders cancelled.
post #998 of 1076 Old 05-19-2020, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by antec121 View Post
I finally purchased the 5040ube at 5 AM this morning. I haven't received a call from Epson to confirm, should I be worried? I was reading through this thread and several people have had their orders cancelled.
you're concerned about no call in 5 hours? You're fine. I think I got a call in a day or two.
post #999 of 1076 Old 05-19-2020, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I placed an order for the 5040UBe this morning. Got a call around 9am and missed it but called back and left a message. Then got an email saying the order was cancelled. My CC put a security hold which I immediately cleared but they would have to rerun it. Now they're sold out again. Ugh!
post #1000 of 1076 Old 05-19-2020, 02:39 PM

Oh wow, I was thinking about calling my credit card company to let them know about my recent purchase so it doesn't get denied. However, it was approved regardless. Hopefully they'll have some more tomorrow. The 5040ube has been sold out since last Wednesday.
post #1001 of 1076 Old 05-19-2020, 02:41 PM

It's showing in stock right now, I just checked
post #1002 of 1076 Old 05-19-2020, 03:19 PM

Yeah, my incessant refreshing finally paid off! I called my CC to make sure it goes through this time. We'll see... This will be my fourth Epson refurb. Started with an 8300. After the warranty was up I sold it on eBay and bought an 8350 refurb. Then did the same after warranty and got a 3100. I think I had to exchange the 8350 due to it being defective and then the replacement had a bad bulb but otherwise they've been good. Hopefully that continues with this one!
post #1003 of 1076 Old 05-20-2020, 01:59 PM

Liked: 13
After passing up on the last couple of 5040UBe projectors that came up, I bit the bullet on one this afternoon. I don't need the wireless video and was hoping to save $100 but I decided that it's still an awesome value at this price. I'll be replacing my decade-old Epson 8350 so I'm really looking forward to the upgrade.
post #1004 of 1076 Old 05-20-2020, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
my concern is that power issue....I wanna replace my antique Panny AE3000

My Build: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/1002707-dyslexic-s-build.html
Panasonic AE3000, Oppo BDP-83, Samsung UDP8500, AppleTv, NVIDIA Shield Pro, Denon 4400H (5.3.4), Pair DEF Tech IW1010 subs, Sunfire HRS10, SVS PB1000, Auro Bass Shakers (X4), Axiom QS8 rears, Niles IW2670 fronts, four 8 inch PolkAudio speakers overhead, 2.37 Shearweave 4500 accoustic screen (115 inches wide)

Last edited by dyslexic; 05-20-2020 at 03:04 PM.
post #1005 of 1076 Old 05-20-2020, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber12 View Post
After passing up on the last couple of 5040UBe projectors that came up, I bit the bullet on one this afternoon. I don't need the wireless video and was hoping to save $100 but I decided that it's still an awesome value at this price. I'll be replacing my decade-old Epson 8350 so I'm really looking forward to the upgrade.
Do you think it would be possible to sell the wireless transmitter on eBay? I really don't need wireless either.
post #1006 of 1076 Old 05-20-2020, 08:06 PM

Quote:
[

Do you think it would be possible to sell the wireless transmitter on eBay? I really don't need wireless either.
I think it would be a tough sell. I assume that it can only be paired with this projector, so your potential buyers should already have one unless it's been lost or broken.
post #1007 of 1076 Old 05-21-2020, 09:12 AM

Anyone else still showing processing for the past two days? Thought it would've been shipped by now. Charge still pending on my credit card as well. A previous poster had gone through the same scenario and ended up getting cancelled on the third day.
post #1008 of 1076 Old 05-21-2020, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Anyone else still showing processing for the past two days? Thought it would've been shipped by now. Charge still pending on my credit card as well. A previous poster had gone through the same scenario and ended up getting cancelled on the third day.
That's my situation. I ordered Tuesday afternoon and it still shows "processing" and I haven't received a call yet. I might call the number that called me the other day and proactively "approve" the purchase.
post #1009 of 1076 Old 05-21-2020, 10:52 AM

I'm thinking about just calling to cancel because I have someone looking to sell me their Epson 4000 for half the price of this 5040ube. I wonder if it's too late to get that started.
post #1010 of 1076 Old 05-21-2020, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 1973 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:
I'm thinking about just calling to cancel because I have someone looking to sell me their Epson 4000 for half the price of this 5040ube. I wonder if it's too late to get that started.
The difference is well worth if for the better contrast/blacks and warranty IMO. It's not that much money.
post #1011 of 1076 Old 05-21-2020, 11:11 AM

[QUOTE=noob00224;59684968]
Quote:
I'm thinking about just calling to cancel because I have someone looking to sell me their Epson 4000 for half the price of this 5040ube. I wonder if it's too late to get

The difference is well worth if for the better contrast/blacks and warranty IMO. It's not that much money.
I just received a message back from a guy selling his Sony VPL-HW45 for the same price as the Epson 4000. Like you mentioned, the warranty plays a big role.
post #1012 of 1076 Old 05-21-2020, 12:18 PM

Quote:
I just called their customer service and had them check on the order. She said everything is fine and they don't need any additional verification. She said they're just waiting on a tracking number.
post #1013 of 1076 Old 05-22-2020, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsadler View Post
I just called their customer service and had them check on the order. She said everything is fine and they don't need any additional verification. She said they're just waiting on a tracking number.

I just received a shipment notification.
post #1014 of 1076 Old 05-22-2020, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber12 View Post
I just received a shipment notification.
I did too! Now for the Covid slowed shipping wait.
post #1015 of 1076 Old 05-23-2020, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

So i guess the next one that are gonna go up for sell are gonna be your first 3
post #1016 of 1076 Old 05-23-2020, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerKonig View Post
So i guess the next one that are gonna go up for sell are gonna be your first 3

Yeah. I was thinking of setting them to high altitude mode and pouring glitter in them so that they can't get sent out without a thorough cleaning. It wouldn't break them, but it would require them to get a complete teardown and clean out. What do you think??
post #1017 of 1076 Old 05-26-2020, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Yeah. I was thinking of setting them to high altitude mode and pouring glitter in them so that they can't get sent out without a thorough cleaning. It wouldn't break them, but it would require them to get a complete teardown and clean out. What do you think??
Well just order one

I hope i didn't grab one of your ****ty one, i just receive my 4010 and have 90 days to return it so i will be able to compare them, only hick, i can't return a refurbish but i guess ill be happy with the 5040ub
post #1018 of 1076 Old 05-26-2020, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 11
They're in stock now, wireless and regular, in Canada and in US. I wanted so much 5050 but settled on 5040UB. Order status: processing, this will be my first ever, I hope I like it.
post #1019 of 1076 Old 05-27-2020, 02:27 PM

My 5040ube was just delivered and it looks brand new. Is there any test I should perform before I get this thing mounted?
post #1020 of 1076 Old 05-27-2020, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
My 5040ube was just delivered and it looks brand new. Is there any test I should perform before I get this thing mounted?
Lucky you, mine was canceled due to mismatch of some kind (they are not specific, the list they provided has quite a few items on it). I use this card for online purchases for ages with no problem, maybe it's for better .. I want 5050UB.

make sure you check:

- focus uniformity
- dust blobs
- grey uniformity
- chromatic aberration - load the menu without any signal - is there any blue glow around the text or the edges of the menu?
- convergence - does the text look white? look at the top and the bottom of the letters.

Get back with your impressions about PQ please.
noob00224 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Front Projectors Great Found Deals!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page