Refurbished Epson 5040UB - $1,151.00 - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 135Likes

post #151 of 609 Old 04-25-2019, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
who is still refreshing?
LVS likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 609 Old 04-25-2019, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_ny View Post
who is still refreshing?
one just popped in stock today, but sold before I could finish checking out! crazy!
post #153 of 609 Old 04-25-2019, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I'm still checking too. Have yet to see it in stock, but as I'm not in a rush to get my hands on one I'm not to terribly put out [yet]. When are those who've been able to get one seeing it in stock?

New dedicated HT under construction: Epson 5040UB on 120" 16:9 screen, Onkyo SKS-HT993THX 7.1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 609 Old 04-25-2019, 09:23 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 604 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3772 Post(s)
Liked: 3556
Refurbished Epson 5040UB - $1,151.00

Epson refurb # 2 came in. (Sent the first one back for purplish/pinkish color in the top right, (and a couple very minor dust blobs which were tolerable I guess)

BUT

Look at these dustblobs on number 2 I just took out of the box. They’ve got to be kidding. Sadly I know they aren’t. In person these dust blobs are brighter than the stars are in the Kansas City sky. I cleaned off the outside of the lens carefully. These are on the inside.

Epsons quality control is apparently terrible on refurbs...

@carp @JDontee @dlbeck @stitch1 @Scrappydue

I’ll call Epson tomorrow and tell them I don’t want this one either. Roll the dice again.
tomd51, stitch1 and Ladeback like this.

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric

Last edited by Archaea; 05-01-2019 at 06:31 PM.
post #155 of 609 Old 04-25-2019, 09:31 PM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Wow that's horrendous

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
post #156 of 609 Old 04-26-2019, 03:50 AM

Great Chief mount, great price. Not mine, and I don’t know seller, price cut just came up in my eBay feed because I had watched it previously for this Epson projector. I have already bought a Chief mount and paid $75 for mine, which was also a great deal.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F132832787032

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
post #157 of 609 Old 04-26-2019, 05:24 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfelicio View Post
one just popped in stock today, but sold before I could finish checking out! crazy!
So it wasn't just my eyes playing tricks - I thought I saw it for a split second but then it was gone!
Jets69 likes this.
post #158 of 609 Old 04-26-2019, 07:09 AM
LVS
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Epson refurb # 2 came in. (Sent the first one back for purplish/pinkish color in the top right, (and a couple very minor dust blobs which were tolerable I guess)

BUT

Look at these dustblobs on number 2 I just took out of the box. They’ve got to be kidding. Sadly I know they aren’t. In person these dust blobs are brighter than the stars are in the Kansas City sky. I cleaned off the outside of the lens carefully. These are on the inside.

Epsons quality control is terrible on refurbs...and has been for years...

@carp , @JDontee @dlbeck @stitch1

I’ll call Epson tomorrow and tell them I don’t want this one either. Roll the dice again.

Dang, sorry, this is just unacceptable. You would think refurbished would mean cleaning the light path.
post #159 of 609 Old 04-26-2019, 09:48 AM

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVS View Post
Dang, sorry, this is just unacceptable. You would think refurbished would mean cleaning the light path.
If I remember correctly, they don't clean it, they install a new optical engine on those with severe dust blobs. but from the picture, this is truly unacceptable.
post #160 of 609 Old 04-26-2019, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:

BUT

Epsons quality control is terrible on refurbs...and has been for years...
Ouch. That is bad. On positive side of things - they sending projectors fast
post #161 of 609 Old 04-26-2019, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm still refreshing. Constantly for the last month. I saw it available last nite around 7:30pm EST. missed it

gamertag BRO GRIM
post #162 of 609 Old 04-26-2019, 06:22 PM

Refurbished Epson 5040UB - $1,151.00

I called tonight about my 2nd dustblob unit - getting it replaced. They said they didn't have any units available right now and that I should call back next Tuesday. I told them I want to send this one back right away, because it was pretty ridiculous --- so if he could just give me the RMA number and shipping label, I'd return it immediately. He said we'll get that all ironed out when you call in next week.

Here's the serial number in case a future consumer in this thread ends up with this second projector I return - we'll see if this one actually gets fixed when it goes back in, or if it just recirculates with the same six giant dustblobs - (Serial Number X334710215L)

I'm a little jaded, even all these years later, with Epson since I had to go through 5 or 6 units last time with my 8350 to get one that was reasonable.(not even perfect). carp went through 6 or 7 8350's to get his final one almost perfect. stitch1 went through a couple 8350's too. At the time we think they were just sending them back out immediately without repairing anything in hopes some customer would be less discerning and just accept/or not notice the fault. (some people in a non light controlled room might not care too much about dust blobs, or lens/focus uniformity, or color uniformity - so that's possible I suppose. I have a friend who recently bought a new 85" TV and was happy about it. I went to his house and saw TERRIBLE backlight bleed from several spots around the frame, extending in 6-8" at least, with white smears, visible not only on black screens but most of the time.

He volunteered he knew it had some backlight issues, but said it didn't bother him. There's no way I would have kept that TV, but I just kept my mouth closed so as not to make him feel bad ------ so I know there are different thresholds of acceptance among consumers.

My buddy stitch1 had the same AE8000U projector as me and said he'd rather spend more on another brand to avoid the Epson refurb lottery, when I asked him if he was going to jump on this sale price. When I told him about the dust blobs, he said how old was your Panasonic projector? I said nearly 5 years. He said how many dust blobs does it have?

touche' @stitch1 , touche'.
stitch1 likes this.

Last edited by Archaea; 04-27-2019 at 06:10 AM.
post #163 of 609 Old 04-26-2019, 06:38 PM

I got a good one on my first try but I may be like your friend. I definitely don't have dust blobs and I have yet to see any real issues. I've thought about running through some of the disc's to check for uniformity issues or other issues but sometimes I think I'm better off not knowing.

post #164 of 609 Old 04-26-2019, 10:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvinwalfred View Post
How did you manage that? I called twice today and both times they said once an order was placed the order cannot be altered. I tried option 1 and option 2 on the keypad.
Did you have any luck getting the coupon code honored? Thanks!
post #165 of 609 Old 04-27-2019, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by artimp11 View Post
Did you have any luck getting the coupon code honored? Thanks!
Yes, they issued me a credit this week. I ended up emailing them after failing twice over the phone. That made this deal even better. Good luck!
post #166 of 609 Old 04-27-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikero View Post
I decided to try email approach - will see what they going to reply
Email worked for me.
mikero likes this.
post #167 of 609 Old 04-27-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy212 View Post
Quick tip for anyone who didn't use the promo code, Since i didn't know there was a 15% off i called them & told them that i forgot to add the promo code & they credit it -$187.98 back to my payment . So it was about 1,097.63 for my projector Not bad .
Thank you for the tip! I finally received my credit this week.
Willy212 likes this.
post #168 of 609 Old 04-28-2019, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 171 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Liked: 773
Quote:

BUT

@carp , @JDontee @dlbeck @stitch1

Can’t believe that...what a pain in the a$$
LVS likes this.
post #169 of 609 Old 04-29-2019, 08:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm still trying to get one of these and been refreshing for about a week. Anyone notice a pattern when they usually add them "in stock"?
Jets69 likes this.
post #170 of 609 Old 04-30-2019, 03:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

BUT

So glad I saw this, I was considering their clearance center deals as my first place to shop for my next projector. Not any more. Thanks.
post #171 of 609 Old 04-30-2019, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Been refreshing for a few weeks now but still no luck. Fingers crossed more come in stock soon!
Jets69 likes this.
post #172 of 609 Old 04-30-2019, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by filipp2442 View Post
I'm still trying to get one of these and been refreshing for about a week. Anyone notice a pattern when they usually add them "in stock"?
Seems like the most probably times are early AM (perhaps a midnight PST web-refresh), or late afternoon (updating stock at end of day). However, I've seen them come up at random times anywhere in between.

BTW> the 15% coupon is expiring tomorrow. I decided to settle for the 5030UB using the coupon since I don't have an HDMI 2.0 receiver and don't really want to go down that rabbit hole.

If it ain't in HD, it ain't worth watching!
post #173 of 609 Old 05-01-2019, 06:26 PM

I'll note that I called Epson on Friday to attempt to exchange the second projector. They said they were out, and I should call Tuesday. I called Tuesday and they said they were out and I should call Wednesday. I called today, Wednesday, and they told me they were out and I should call back tomorrow, and Friday. I said can't you hold one of these in your inventory rather than having me call in every day. He said they didn't have a way to do that, and I'd have to call back when they had one in stock to send me one. He told me I could also watch the website and see when one was in stock and call when one was in stock and get it that way. I called him on that absurdity and told him I already played that monkey game once for about a week and a half regularly checking the website to catch one to purchase, and I shouldn't have to do that for an RMA of a defective projector (two defective projectors in fact). He asked me if I was interested in a new one? I said no, I don't want to pay for a new one which is why I bought a refurbished one, and I expected one that wasn't defective - as these were advertised as truly refurbished, without issue and two year warranty. He asked if I wanted a full refund, and I stated I was getting to that point, but I'd rather escalate to a manager first. He wouldn't give me the name of a manager, but gave me the number to corporate Epson. I haven't called them yet. I feel like this is just one of those things where you need to get a hold of the right contact and not some random, don't give a hoot, Indian customer service agent.

Who said Epson had good customer service? That has apparently gone by the wayside. At this point I won't be recommending this Epson refurb projector deal to anyone. It's been more hassle than it was worth.

Last edited by Archaea; 05-01-2019 at 06:30 PM.
post #174 of 609 Old 05-01-2019, 07:56 PM

That sucks and is terrible to hear. Unfortunately do many companies have gone to this outsourcing of first line support and it's terrible. They literally have the ability to do the most basic of things. Then they don't want to escalate things because it looks bad on them. It's a mess and the fact you have to go through all this is crazy.

post #175 of 609 Old 05-01-2019, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'll note that I called Epson on Friday to attempt to exchange the second projector. They said they were out, and I should call Tuesday. I called Tuesday and they said they were out and I should call Wednesday. I called today, Wednesday, and they told me they were out and I should call back tomorrow, and Friday. I said can't you hold one of these in your inventory rather than having me call in every day. He said they didn't have a way to do that, and I'd have to call back when they had one in stock to send me one. He told me I could also watch the website and see when one was in stock and call when one was in stock and get it that way. I called him on that absurdity and told him I already played that monkey game once for about a week and a half regularly checking the website to catch one to purchase, and I shouldn't have to do that for an RMA of a defective projector (two defective projectors in fact). He asked me if I was interested in a new one? I said no, I don't want to pay for a new one which is why I bought a refurbished one, and I expected one that wasn't defective - as these were advertised as truly refurbished, without issue and two year warranty. He asked if I wanted a full refund, and I stated I was getting to that point, but I'd rather escalate to a manager first. He wouldn't give me the name of a manager, but gave me the number to corporate Epson. I haven't called them yet. I feel like this is just one of those things where you need to get a hold of the right contact and not some random, don't give a hoot, Indian customer service agent.

Who said Epson had good customer service? That has apparently gone by the wayside. At this point I won't be recommending this Epson refurb projector deal to anyone. It's been more hassle than it was worth.
You know, if you keep it beyond the 30 day return window, they have to provide you with a 2-day warranty exchange.

Not telling you exactly what to do, but I would probably just start using that one, dust blobs and all, and in a few weeks, call in for a warranty claim. They will have to give you one, or provide you with a equivalent, or better unit.

post #176 of 609 Old 05-02-2019, 06:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:

After all you have been through this is making me wait till I get my room closer to being done if ever I get it done. Sorry you are having so many problems. I need to get my HVAC figured out so I can get the theater and basement finished. Good luck with the exchange and hopefully the 3rd time is a charm for you.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
post #177 of 609 Old 05-02-2019, 03:46 PM

Called again today - they said they had none in stock, and that I should call again tomorrow...I'm going to log this journey here - not because I want sympathy, but because I can then reference this thread to Epson at some point, as a public journal.

The serial number I sent back today with the pink discoloration in the top right corner (when ceiling mounted) was X334691747L Hopefully they fix it before they send it out again -- if not - here's the documentation for the next buyer.

post #178 of 609 Old 05-03-2019, 06:47 AM
LVS
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Called again today - they said they had none in stock, and that I should call again tomorrow...I'm going to log this journey here - not because I want sympathy, but because I can then reference this thread to Epson at some point, as a public journal.

The serial number I sent back today with the pink discoloration in the top right corner (when ceiling mounted) was X334691747L Hopefully they fix it before they send it out again -- if not - here's the documentation for the next buyer.

Just ridiculous. They should be offering you a replacement 5050 for a small upgrade in price.
Ladeback and JediMindTrick like this.
post #179 of 609 Old 05-03-2019, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I had a frustrating experience as well. I was lucky enough to finally get one of the refurbished 5040UB projectors. I was not going to be home when they delivered so I updated the FedEx delivery to be held at a FedEx site (in a Walgreens). I received the email that the projector had arrived and was waiting to be picked up. It required a government issued ID and tracking number in order to pick up. I went the next night and there was no projector. Called FedEx and they said the shipper requested the package be returned. Got in touch with Epson and they said since I changed the delivery address (even though it was a FedEx hold site) it was marked as fraud. They could not reroute to my house and could not resend once it got back to Epson. Said I would just have to submit a new order (sure... easy for them to say). Escalated to a supervisor but still nothing they could do. They would try to resend it but of course that did not end up happening. They had my money for over 2 weeks but could not help in any way. I asked for a discount coupon for a future order for all my trouble. She contacted corporate but no go. They didn't even give me the 15% off refurbished discount code that was fairly well known. Very frustrating and made to feel like I was some sort of scam artist for having the project delivered to a FedEx hold site. Thought this would be the safest delivery option.

Maybe I should go with the Benq HT3550 now.
post #180 of 609 Old 05-03-2019, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttebr View Post
I had a frustrating experience as well. I was lucky enough to finally get one of the refurbished 5040UB projectors. I was not going to be home when they delivered so I updated the FedEx delivery to be held at a FedEx site (in a Walgreens). I received the email that the projector had arrived and was waiting to be picked up. It required a government issued ID and tracking number in order to pick up. I went the next night and there was no projector. Called FedEx and they said the shipper requested the package be returned. Got in touch with Epson and they said since I changed the delivery address (even though it was a FedEx hold site) it was marked as fraud. They could not reroute to my house and could not resend once it got back to Epson. Said I would just have to submit a new order (sure... easy for them to say). Escalated to a supervisor but still nothing they could do. They would try to resend it but of course that did not end up happening. They had my money for over 2 weeks but could not help in any way. I asked for a discount coupon for a future order for all my trouble. She contacted corporate but no go. They didn't even give me the 15% off refurbished discount code that was fairly well known. Very frustrating and made to feel like I was some sort of scam artist for having the project delivered to a FedEx hold site. Thought this would be the safest delivery option.

Maybe I should go with the Benq HT3550 now.
That's very strange. I had my last one held at the FedEx warehouse (2015?), no issues (that was after 3 attempted deliveries). Just this week, I had my new 5030ub diverted to be held at the nearby Walgreens for pickup. No issues there either. I have a FedEx account, the tracking was shown there, I logged in yesterday, selected hold for pickup and picked the nearest location. Submitted and it was changed in the system about 5 minutes later. Today it arrived at the Walgreens and I got a text notice. It was there as expected.

What you are going thru sounds like someone at FedEx screwed up. Epson should find a way to make it better though.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Front Projectors Great Found Deals!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page