Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 04-06-2019, 11:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 389
At that price I figured it was worth a shot. The reviews were good overall with some obvious compromises for the price point. It is good timing, since my old Sony projector is on its last legs.

Thanks for the heads up.

"Rock and roll is alive and alright" Sloan
post #3 of 26 Old 04-09-2019, 10:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I’m seeing $675! I’m not seeing it’s refurbished. Is this a closeout sale or what?
DunMunro likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 04-10-2019, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy G Biv View Post
I’m seeing $675! I’m not seeing it’s refurbished. Is this a closeout sale or what?
I'm guessing that Viewsonic 4K PJs will be refreshed with the new .47 XPR chip that removes the light border, so they are clearing them out.
post #5 of 26 Old 04-17-2019, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

The Viewsonic store was a little slow in processing, but that delay enabled me to get the $675 price. It finally shipped yesterday, so hopefully I can set it up this weekend.
n84china likes this.

post #6 of 26 Old 04-20-2019, 10:28 PM
Advanced Member

I got it Friday and proceeded to set it up with an Xbox One S. I dialed it in a little better this morning, but I'm sure I'll be tweaking it a little here and there over the next week or so. It throws a very nice image--better than I expected. The fan is very quiet compared to my old Sony(actually, my inuke sub amp fan is louder) and the black level isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.

Upconverted blu-rays are very sharp, and I've enjoyed my first foray into 4K with Netflix and Amazon Prime. I look forward to watching some 4k blu-rays, as well.

It's a keeper, and for the price it's an amazing value. It's back up to $750, but even at that price, it's well worth it, IMO.

Good call, DunMunro.

post #7 of 26 Old 04-21-2019, 09:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I don’t think I’ve seen a better deal for a 4K PJ yet, not even close actually. From my understanding Viewsonic has always had good color and sharp picture too. Great deal!
rontalley likes this.
post #8 of 26 Old 05-14-2019, 02:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 770 Post(s)
Liked: 383
I understand that this PJ is more for presentation but has anyone set this up for HT? They had it listed for $650 on their site and I was tempted...Went back and it was $675 so I said to the hell with it. Snatched it up and willing to give it a go for my HT. I’ve been fine with my HD33 for years but it died on me. If PQ is close or better than an 8 year old PJ then I’ll be satisfied. Especially at $700 shipped!

My Media Room
AVR 1-Yamaha RX-A3050 (7.2.4), AVR 2 Pioneer VSX-815-K(Used for 4ch Amp TF+TR)
Mains-Polk Audio RTi8, Center-Polk Audio CSi5, Surrounds-Polk Audio RTi4, Ceilings-Micca M-8C, Sub 1- UM18-22 (4cu.ft DIY) - iNuke 6000DSP Sub 2-Klipsch RW12D,
Projector-Looking, Screen-Da-Lite 100" Model B, TV-Vizio P-65 4K
post #9 of 26 Old 05-14-2019, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontalley View Post
I understand that this PJ is more for presentation but has anyone set this up for HT? They had it listed for $650 on their site and I was tempted...Went back and it was $675 so I said to the hell with it. Snatched it up and willing to give it a go for my HT. I’ve been fine with my HD33 for years but it died on me. If PQ is close or better than an 8 year old PJ then I’ll be satisfied. Especially at $700 shipped!
Hi if you ordered the s model hope you saw that it is the refurb version... If you check the detailed specs you will see that in reduced warranty and condition mentioned as refurb

If you already saw that then all is fine

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk
post #10 of 26 Old 05-14-2019, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

You can order them through Amazon as well. I bit the bullet and ordered one for $675 from Viewsonic via Amazon (described as "used-like new". There are a number of Youtube reviews and it looks pretty good. I was hoping for a BenQ 4K to get 3D as well but maybe next time.

We'll be using it in our Condo living room, mainly for 4K streaming content and upscaled BDs with a ~150in screen. This is precisely the environment that it was designed for as it is not an optimized theatre by any means.
rontalley likes this.
post #11 of 26 Old 05-14-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
You can order them through Amazon as well. I bit the bullet and ordered one for $675 from Viewsonic via Amazon (described as "used-like new". There are a number of Youtube reviews and it looks pretty good. I was hoping for a BenQ 4K to get 3D as well but maybe next time.

We'll be using it in our Condo living room, mainly for 4K streaming content and upscaled BDs with a ~150in screen. This is precisely the environment that it was designed for as it is not an optimized theatre by any means.
Would these used like new also have just 90 day manufacturer warranty or the full 3 years?

~MnVn
post #12 of 26 Old 05-14-2019, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I will still more than likely order the BenQ HT3550 once it becomes available again. However, I just can't stand being without my PJ! This will go in my "Man Cave" which is really a full multi-purpose media room but 90% of the time we are Streaming. I have a full 7.2.4 Atmos setup but can not enjoy Atmos content while streaming because my HD33 was only 1080p. I have been wanting to upgrade to a 4K PJ but the PQ of my HD33 was good enough for me. We'll see. For the price, it's worth a shot. If not, then I will most definitely up the budget and get the HT3550.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01da6d445db6306494c6022072f2e34eda54ca1af5.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	2566746  
Sonyad likes this.

My Media Room
Mains-Polk Audio RTi8, Center-Polk Audio CSi5, Surrounds-Polk Audio RTi4, Ceilings-Micca M-8C, Sub 1- UM18-22 (4cu.ft DIY) - iNuke 6000DSP Sub 2-Klipsch RW12D,
post #13 of 26 Old 05-14-2019, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msankadi View Post
Would these used like new also have just 90 day manufacturer warranty or the full 3 years?

~MnVn
I suspect it'll be the 90 day warranty although it does have a 30 day return policy.
post #14 of 26 Old 05-15-2019, 05:22 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Refurb is down to $540 on Woot.

https://electronics.woot.com/offers/...d_cat_elec_5_2

-Dano

Last edited by Dano2; 05-15-2019 at 05:25 AM. Reason: add link
post #15 of 26 Old 05-15-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano2 View Post
Wow is this site reliable? Do refurb mean there will be hours on the lamp? Typically how many hours?

~MnVn
post #16 of 26 Old 05-15-2019, 09:07 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by msankadi View Post
Wow is this site reliable? Do refurb mean there will be hours on the lamp? Typically how many hours?

~MnVn
Woot is owned by Amazon. I have bought a few items from them in the past without issue but I have never bought electronics. I login with my Amazon credentials. This deal is now sold out but lasted longer than usual. They have great deals on refurbs all the time.

From the product page:

"Lamp life may vary based on actual usage and other factors"
msankadi and old corps like this.

-Dano
post #17 of 26 Old 05-17-2019, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So our PX-747 arrived today. It had 31 hrs on the clock, with most in eco mode and had firmware V1.02. It had full retail packaging with all retail accessories and it does look "like new".

I gotta say it...This thing rocks!

It's the first DLP PJ I've seen that actually has watchable colour in bright mode with no green caste, so whites look white and colours are recognizable, but in movie mode it just looks gorgeous. I haven't installed it yet, but I placed in on the coffee table from about 12ft back, hooked up a laptop with 4K output and I was in business with 4k @ 30hz. I then fired up some 4k trailers on youtube and wow!

I put on the 4K Valerian trailer and it blows my W1070 out of the water! Of course these are just first impressions but it really looks good with incredible sharpness and from memory it is much sharper than a friend's HC5040 in 4k mode.

It is very quiet and barely audible in Smart Eco mode, even sitting right behind it. The 10w speaker is actually quite usable and was useful for demo purposes. It is bigger than my HC1040 and W1070, but not by much, being mainly thicker. It will be ceiling mounted beside my HC1040 and fed 4K from my Sony X700 4k BD player, which I haven't got here yet. All in all, I'm a happy camper!
msankadi and rontalley like this.
post #18 of 26 Old 05-17-2019, 09:58 PM

Quote:
So our PX-747 arrived today. It had 31 hrs on the clock, with most in eco mode and had firmware V1.02. It had full retail packaging with all retail accessories and it does look "like new".

I gotta say it...This thing rocks!

It's the first DLP PJ I've seen that actually has watchable colour in bright mode with no green caste, so whites look white and colours are recognizable, but in movie mode it just looks gorgeous. I haven't installed it yet, but I placed in on the coffee table from about 12ft back, hooked up a laptop with 4K output and I was in business with 4k @ 30hz. I then fired up some 4k trailers on youtube and wow!

I put on the 4K Valerian trailer and it blows my W1070 out of the water! Of course these are just first impressions but it really looks good with incredible sharpness and from memory it is much sharper than a friend's HC5040 in 4k mode.

It is very quiet and barely audible in Smart Eco mode, even sitting right behind it. The 10w speaker is actually quite usable and was useful for demo purposes. It is bigger than my HC1040 and W1070, but not by much, being mainly thicker. It will be ceiling mounted beside my HC1040 and fed 4K from my Sony X700 4k BD player, which I haven't got here yet. All in all, I'm a happy camper!
Congratulations, enjoy the pj. Do post more views once you have spent some time with it

~MnVn
post #19 of 26 Old 05-18-2019, 07:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I gotta say it...This thing rocks!...

...All in all, I'm a happy camper!

What type of room is this going in? How are the colors?

My Media Room
post #20 of 26 Old 05-19-2019, 01:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontalley View Post
What type of room is this going in? How are the colors?
It is in our living room, projecting onto a grey painted wall, and light coloured walls and carpet. The colour in bright mode is usable for casual viewing, while standard is useful for daytime viewing with the curtains closed. However movie mode is very good at night, with the lights off. with colour that seems equivalent to my W1070. The sharpness with 4K material is extremely good which when paired with 4K material is spectacular. I don't have a streaming source for 4K HDR setup yet but the 4K colour in movie mode is really good, and it upscales 1080p content quite nicely and it appears much sharper than with my HC1040, in side by side comparisons with the same 1080p material and the colour is much better as well. From about a foot from the screen I can make out individual pixels, otherwise it is super sharp with no visible pixelation.

We'll be using it mainly for 4K streaming content.

overall I am impressed especially given the price.
post #21 of 26 Old 05-20-2019, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I watched the BD "Apollo 13" and was again impressed. I experimented with various settings and found that I was able to use "Bright" mode for watching movies during the day (with the shades drawn) on my 145in 16x9 grey screen, with the following settings:

color: 60

green gain: 94

Gamma 1.8

Lamp mode: Dynamic

The above gave quite watchable colours with reasonable skin tones and the grey screen works well with the lowered gamma to give reasonable shadow detail and yet the black of space looks black because of the high lumen output and the bright hi-lights. Similar settings make Standard mode more watchable but Movie mode is still best, of course. I still find it laudable that Bright mode produces such a usable image.
post #22 of 26 Old 05-23-2019, 07:22 PM

Quote:
I watched the BD "Apollo 13" and was again impressed. I experimented with various settings and found that I was able to use "Bright" mode for watching movies during the day (with the shades drawn) on my 145in 16x9 grey screen, with the following settings:

color: 60

green gain: 94

Gamma 1.8

Lamp mode: Dynamic

The above gave quite watchable colours with reasonable skin tones and the grey screen works well with the lowered gamma to give reasonable shadow detail and yet the black of space looks black because of the high lumen output and the bright hi-lights. Similar settings make Standard mode more watchable but Movie mode is still best, of course. I still find it laudable that Bright mode produces such a usable image.

It could be because of settings, but most of the reviews I saw on this unit were calling the colors washed out, or not vibrant compared to other projectors, any thoughts on that? Also does this projector have the light border around the image?
post #23 of 26 Old 05-23-2019, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donetodeath View Post
It could be because of settings, but most of the reviews I saw on this unit were calling the colors washed out, or not vibrant compared to other projectors, any thoughts on that? Also does this projector have the light border around the image?
Yes, it has the dreaded light border, but honestly it didn't bother me and wasn't especially noticeable on my low gain painted grey screen. I find the colours in bright and standard to be less saturated than I'd find acceptable for watching streaming movies (BD seems better) at night but movie mode seems fine. There are lots of youtube videos showing these units in action.

However, the unit I purchased began to emit a high pitched whine and I've decided to return it. I'll try and test it tomorrow with a true 4K HDR source before sending it back.

Edit: Changing the colour space on my HTPC from RGB to YUV really makes a difference and now even bright mode looks good on most streaming content.

2nd Edit - The high pitch whine was probably due to me having a sinus infection as it declined after I began feeling better, however in the course to doing some testing I discovered a minor chromatic error, mainly visible on white screens and so that tipped the scales in deciding to send it back. Overall I really liked it though.

Last edited by DunMunro; 06-15-2019 at 11:39 AM.
post #24 of 26 Old 05-23-2019, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Yes, it has the dreaded light border, but honestly it didn't bother me and wasn't especially noticeable on my low gain painted grey screen. I find the colours in bright and standard to be less saturated than I'd find acceptable for watching streaming movies (BD seems better) at night but movie mode seems fine. There are lots of youtube videos showing these units in action.

However, the unit I purchased began to emit a high pitched whine and I've decided to return it. I'll try and test it tomorrow with a true 4K HDR source before sending it back.
Thanks for the feedback, shame about the whine, sounds like it might be the fan. Will you replace it with another 747 or are you going to move on to something else? I really wish they were as aggressive with the pricing of the 727, seems like that one is rarely on the same kind of sales.
post #25 of 26 Old 05-24-2019, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donetodeath View Post
Thanks for the feedback, shame about the whine, sounds like it might be the fan. Will you replace it with another 747 or are you going to move on to something else? I really wish they were as aggressive with the pricing of the 727, seems like that one is rarely on the same kind of sales.
Here is some 4 image photos of the screen using various 4K demo footage from youtube and some 1080p content from Amazon (Jack Ryan series) and Marvel's AoS:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attac...571082&thumb=1

I don't think it's the fan - I think it might be from the XPR and sometimes it stops for a moment or two.

The colour is actually pretty good. I'll test it with HDR content this weekend. I'd like to keep it as it looks really good, but I won't be able try another for a few weeks as we'll be away.

Edit: I've done further testing with a variety of 4K test videos from youtube and this PJ looks really good with rich saturated colours with some calibration.

2nd Edit: I tested it with some 4K HDR content via my Sony X700 HDR BD player's youtube app...freakin awesome! I watched one made for Sony 4K TVs and it was fantastic! I didn't have time to take photos but every mode, including bright mode looked beautiful. This PJ really works well with HDR content.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	px747_S_Valerian.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	2571082   Click image for larger version

Name:	px747_2001.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	708.0 KB
ID:	2571084   Click image for larger version

Name:	px747_MD.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	784.8 KB
ID:	2571086   Click image for larger version

Name:	px747_MAS.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	816.7 KB
ID:	2571088   Click image for larger version

Name:	px747_JR.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	837.9 KB
ID:	2571090  

Name:	px747_S_demo4k.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	2571092   Click image for larger version

Name:	px747_S_LoA_4K.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	872.0 KB
ID:	2571094  

Last edited by DunMunro; 05-25-2019 at 12:16 AM.
post #26 of 26 Old 06-09-2019, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So I am doing some final tests prior to boxing it up.

This is from the 2001 4K HDR BD (via a Sony UBP-X700), on a 16x9 143in grey painted screen:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attac...578072&thumb=1
s
and this shows the effect of the 3 HDR EOTF levels:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attac...578078&thumb=1

This projector works really well with HDR content, even in bright mode. Here's a scene from the 4K HDR BD Avengers IW:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attac...578076&thumb=1
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	px747_2001_stew.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	2.80 MB
ID:	2578078   Click image for larger version

Name:	px747_AIW1.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	3.96 MB
ID:	2578080   Click image for larger version

Name:	px747_2001_4Kmoonscape.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	3.76 MB
ID:	2578082  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Front Projectors Great Found Deals!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page