Optoma UHL55 = $750! - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 18Likes

post #61 of 70 Old 02-13-2020, 10:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
As per the calculator and Optoma's spec sheet, the UHL55 has a 100% offset. This means that when inverted the centre of the lens should be at the same height as the top of the screen.
Thank you again. I'll try a dry run again tomorrow to see height from ceiling and hoping I get a better result. Thinking of maybe building my own mount
DunMunro likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 70 Old 02-14-2020, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Received a dud today. Can’t switch inputs but I tried casting to it from YouTube and the picture quality looks pretty good.... buydig wouldn’t authorize sending out a replacement immediately so I requested a refund and will just go ahead and order another one... hopefully, I have better luck the second time around... wish I could’ve tested 4k content on it but oh well....
post #63 of 70 Old 02-14-2020, 12:18 PM

This projector doesn’t appear to support arc.... is that even necessary if I’m routing everything through my avr though? I don’t plan on connecting anything directly to the projector except the hdmi from my avr....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 70 Old 02-14-2020, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Biagas View Post
This projector doesn’t appear to support arc.... is that even necessary if I’m routing everything through my avr though? I don’t plan on connecting anything directly to the projector except the hdmi from my avr....
Typically ARC is used to split the HDMI audio/video before it gets to the projector, so that the audio can be fed to an amp or sound bar, etc, and the video to the display.
post #65 of 70 Old 02-14-2020, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Quote:
This projector doesn’️t appear to support arc.... is that even necessary if I’️m routing everything through my avr though? I don’️t plan on connecting anything directly to the projector except the hdmi from my avr....
Typically ARC is used to split the HDMI audio/video before it gets to the projector, so that the audio can be fed to an amp or sound bar, etc, and the video to the display.
But if I plug everything directly into the avr it should handle the audio processing right? The hdmi output on the avr would then send the video feed to the projector?

Would you order another refurb if the first one you received was defective?

Vizio M75-E1 || Onkyo TX-SR393 || Sanyo 4k Blu-Ray || Apple TV 4k || DCM TP160 TP160C
Vizio M70-D3 || Onkyo TX-NR686 || Xbox One X || Apple TV 4k || DCM TP260 TP160C
Optoma UHL55 || Pioneer SC-95 || Sanyo 4k Blu-Ray || Apple TV 4k || DCM TFE100 TFE60 TP160
post #66 of 70 Old 02-14-2020, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked: 495
Quote:
But if I plug everything directly into the avr it should handle the audio processing right? The hdmi output on the avr would then send the video feed to the projector?

Would you order another refurb if the first one you received was defective?
What are you using for sound output? If the AVR can feed audio to that and video to the projector, you're good to go. The projector does have stereo speakers as well.

I would give the refurbs another try as long as I can ultimately return it for a refund if defective.
post #67 of 70 Old 02-14-2020, 02:28 PM

Quote:
What are you using for sound output? If the AVR can feed audio to that and video to the projector, you're good to go. The projector does have stereo speakers as well.

I would give the refurbs another try as long as I can ultimately return it for a refund if defective.
Okay, so I just tried plugging my avr into an older tv that has hdmi but no arc support. I got absolutely no sound, only picture. That makes the uhl55 a definite no go for me.... I guess the price was too good to be true for faux 4k....

Vizio M75-E1 || Onkyo TX-SR393 || Sanyo 4k Blu-Ray || Apple TV 4k || DCM TP160 TP160C
Optoma UHL55 || Pioneer SC-95 || Sanyo 4k Blu-Ray || Apple TV 4k || DCM TFE100 TFE60 TP160
post #68 of 70 Old 02-14-2020, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Okay, so I just tried plugging my avr into an older tv that has hdmi but no arc support. I got absolutely no sound, only picture. That makes the uhl55 a definite no go for me.... I guess the price was too good to be true for faux 4k....
hahaha nevermind... i forgot to turn on my amp! I'm totally getting sound... gonna try ordering one more time!
DunMunro likes this.

post #69 of 70 Old Yesterday, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 4
ARC support would be nice though. Alternatively, does anyone know if there's a streaming stick/box that can control a receiver on/off and volume instead of the TV?

Also wanted to respond to a few comments that have been posted here and elsewhere: A few folks have speculated that the highly discounted price point is attributable to this projectors lack of brightness. I have no insight into Optoma's sales figures, but my experience with an 84" screen and somewhat larger viewing area in another room have not been disappointing at all in that regard. While HDR performance is a little underwhelming, the relatively bright performance with 3D material more than compensates for that, given my personal preferences. I suspect the UHL55's biggest marketing failure has to do with the unimpressive "smart" features, which are totally superfluous in my mind. I'd be just as happy if they were missing altogether.

One unheralded feature of the UHL55 that has really been helpful are the adjustable feet. That may sound like an afterthought, but a few minor tweaks to the feet make the process of getting a perfectly square image a breeze, especially if you're using the projector portably as I sometimes do.

For anyone still on the fence, I found this even handed review by John Higgins to pretty much align with my own experience having lived with the unit on a daily basis for almost two months.

https://www.projectorcentral.com/Opt...tor-Review.htm

Last edited by Steve Mayhem; Yesterday at 10:55 AM.
post #70 of 70 Old Yesterday, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mayhem View Post
ARC support would be nice though. Alternatively, does anyone know if there's a streaming stick/box that can control a receiver on/off and volume instead of the TV?

Also wanted to respond to a few comments that have been posted here and elsewhere: A few folks have speculated that the highly discounted price point is attributable to this projectors lack of brightness. I have no insight into Optoma's sales figures, but my experience with an 84" screen and somewhat larger viewing area in another room have not been disappointing at all in that regard. While HDR performance is a little underwhelming, the relatively bright performance with 3D material more than compensates for that, given my personal preferences. I suspect the UHL55's biggest marketing failure has to do with the unimpressive "smart" features, which are totally superfluous in my mind. I'd be just as happy if they were missing altogether.

One unheralded feature of the UHL55 that has really been helpful are the adjustable feet. That may sound like an afterthought, but a few minor tweaks to the feet make the process of getting a perfectly square image a breeze, especially if you're using the projector portably as I sometimes do.

For anyone still on the fence, I found this even handed review by John Higgins to pretty much align with my own experience having lived with the unit on a daily basis for almost two months.

https://www.projectorcentral.com/Opt...tor-Review.htm
Thanks for sharing your thoughts...I know others have complained about the brightness but I’m hoping that won’t be an issues in my pitch black room.... I think under certain conditions, this might actually be a really good projector for the price! You’re the second person I hear that has a good experience with 3D so that’s exciting... I might dive into the Plex digital 3D world.... I have a few 3D Blu-ray’s but they’re pretty hard to come by nowadays...

ARC would’ve been nice to have but I don’t see myself plugging anything directly into the unit except the hdmi from the avr...

In terms of controlling the avr with another device, I find that the ATV does a good job of that with the cec function.... it doesn’t allow you to do anything but raise and lower the volume and turn it off though... the chromecast will turn it on the avr with cec, but won’t actually lower the volume of the avr....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Front Projectors Great Found Deals!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page