Optoma UHL55 = $750! - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 24Likes

post #121 of 136 Old 03-23-2020, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I've been curious about 3D on this too, since it's always been a high point with reviewers. Problem is, most all of my content is now streaming. Do any services stream 3D movies?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 136 Old 03-24-2020, 04:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTCrazy2 View Post
I've been curious about 3D on this too, since it's always been a high point with reviewers. Problem is, most all of my content is now streaming. Do any services stream 3D movies?
Not enough to be worth it I think. Best bet would be to have a hard drive or NAS to stream all your 3d locally...

BenQ HT3050 (Previously BenQ W1070, Epson 8350, Mits HD1000u)
Elite 100" Spectrum Electric 16:9 Screen
Pioneer VSX-1131
SVS SBS-01/PB12-NSD 5.1.2 system
HTPC/Pimax5k+/XboxOneX
post #123 of 136 Old 03-24-2020, 08:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Biagas View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryudoadema View Post
Quote:
Can you recommend a decent pair of dlp link glasses?
Estar ESG601 are my favorite, but they don't seem to be available anymore at least on amazon. These ones are a close second https://smile.amazon.com/WOWOTO-Glas...%2C170&sr=1-27 and my gf's favorite. Very comfortable, but don't block as much peripheral and give a cooler tone to the picture. There are a lot of similar ones around, but look at the top in the pictures to make sure the button layout is the same. The one's with just one power button on top are not the same and are likely worse. These are the actual ones I ordered most recently of this style, but they have gone way up in price and it seems like the same company selling from the first link above https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These ones are pretty good too and there are multi-packs https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KUIYUP8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edit: Here is a link to an old post I made comparing dlp-link glasses. The 3dtv corp are similar to the wowoto I posted above. The G15's have many sellers under different names on ebay/amazon and are decent and cheap: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...l#post24995618
Thanks!! I ended up putting an order in for a pair of the 3d heaven glasses....
Just ordered the first pair you recommended.... gonna give those a shot... had my wife sit down and watch tmnt 3D with me and she was bothered by the image also.... in some scenes the background looks a little blurry... makes it difficult to focus....

I’m also using an old 3D player that I used to use with my Mitsubishi.... I wonder if I should try getting a new 3D player... I thought maybe the puremotion crap was turned on in the projector settings but it’s grayed out and off....

Vizio M75-E1 || Onkyo TX-SR393 || Sanyo 4k Blu-Ray || Apple TV 4k || DCM TP160 TP160C
Vizio M70-D3 || Onkyo TX-NR686 || Xbox One X || Apple TV 4k || DCM TP260 TP160C
Optoma UHL55 || Pioneer SC-95 || Sanyo 4k Blu-Ray || Apple TV 4k || DCM TFE100 TFE60 TP160 Crown XLI1500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 136 Old 03-25-2020, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Just ordered the first pair you recommended.... gonna give those a shot... had my wife sit down and watch tmnt 3D with me and she was bothered by the image also.... in some scenes the background looks a little blurry... makes it difficult to focus....

I’m also using an old 3D player that I used to use with my Mitsubishi.... I wonder if I should try getting a new 3D player... I thought maybe the puremotion crap was turned on in the projector settings but it’s grayed out and off....
I actually enjoy a little puremotion crap in 3d only. When available of course (rarely especially with DLP where it really shines). I would check out another movie, the blurry/focus issue could be the source. I wouldn't think it is the glasses or the player, but can't be sure of course. Try a 3d flick known to be reference like Pacific Rim, Endgame, Moana etc.

Pioneer VSX-1131
HTPC/Pimax5k+/XboxOneX
post #125 of 136 Old 03-25-2020, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Quote:

I’️m also using an old 3D player that I used to use with my Mitsubishi.... I wonder if I should try getting a new 3D player... I thought maybe the puremotion crap was turned on in the projector settings but it’️s grayed out and off....
I actually enjoy a little puremotion crap in 3d only. When available of course (rarely especially with DLP where it really shines). I would check out another movie, the blurry/focus issue could be the source. I wouldn't think it is the glasses or the player, but can't be sure of course. Try a 3d flick known to be reference like Pacific Rim, Endgame, Moana etc.
Okay, I have pacific rim... I’ll give that a shot tonight... I was just grasping at straws with the puremotion thing. I watched tmnt before and i don’t remember it looking like that on my old mits.

Vizio M75-E1 || Onkyo TX-SR393 || Sanyo 4k Blu-Ray || Apple TV 4k || DCM TP160 TP160C
Optoma UHL55 || Pioneer SC-95 || Sanyo 4k Blu-Ray || Apple TV 4k || DCM TFE100 TFE60 TP160 Crown XLI1500
post #126 of 136 Old 03-25-2020, 05:46 PM

Pacific rim definitely looks better than tmnt... I can see why it’s considered reference... the snow looks like it’s jumping right out of the screen... I’m pretty new to this 3D stuff but I still notice the issues I was having earlier with the focus (though much less with this movie)... it’s mostly with the background of the scenes and particularly noticeable in the third video below (scenes with a lot of detail in the background).. the videos don’t capture how good the 3D looks overall though.... I did notice that when watching through the phone while recording my eyes didn’t hurt at all.... I’m going to give the other glasses a try and go from there....

https://youtu.be/mO0W8-WMAzQ

https://youtu.be/ZRVLIunKB-I

https://youtu.be/DYzCJnOVvXE

post #127 of 136 Old 03-25-2020, 07:48 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Pacific rim definitely looks better than tmnt... I can see why it’s considered reference... the snow looks like it’s jumping right out of the screen... I’m pretty new to this 3D stuff but I still notice the issues I was having earlier with the focus (though much less with this movie)... it’s mostly with the background of the scenes and particularly noticeable in the third video below (scenes with a lot of detail in the background).. the videos don’t capture how good the 3D looks overall though.... I did notice that when watching through the phone while recording my eyes didn’t hurt at all.... I’m going to give the other glasses a try and go from there....

Even in theaters I’ve always found 3D to have blurry backgrounds. As recently as watching Avatar 3D in an IMAX theater. Always loved the effect so I put up with it. But it’s never as clear as 2d and does tend to give me a headache. Never seen 3D on a projector.
post #128 of 136 Old Yesterday, 06:03 AM

Quote:

Is it not just the normal depth of field effect from all movies? You know how certain things are in focus, but backgrounds and anything in other layers are out of focus/blurry. This can be more noticeable in 3d because it's more like real life. If you're looking at something close, it is in focus but things at other depths are out of focus. Then look at something in the background and it suddenly becomes in focus and what you were looking at is now out of focus and blurry. In a 3d movie you kind of expect the same because it works similar to real vision, but usually they still add artificial blur with the camera to direct your focus (especially for those watching the 2d version). I think there are a few examples where they actually use infinite focus in 3d movies, but I can't think of any.

If this is not the case, sorry for the rant and I hope the new glasses fix this for you!

Pioneer VSX-1131
HTPC/Pimax5k+/XboxOneX
post #129 of 136 Old Today, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi everybody! I am keeping the UHL55 and have been enjoying it quite a bit now that I have the wall painted and ready to mount the projector. I would greatly appreciate and help with suggestions if someone has theirs mounted already and all is working well. The separate power box is a pain. I was looking for an alternative idea that would support the projector and the power box. Here is an idea I may try as it will be definitely wide enough and open for ventilation and can move the projector a little but and adjust height since it has no lens shift. What do you all think of this https://www.amazon.com/HyLoft-36-Inc...en&sr=1-7&th=1
post #130 of 136 Old Today, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Is it not just the normal depth of field effect from all movies? You know how certain things are in focus, but backgrounds and anything in other layers are out of focus/blurry. This can be more noticeable in 3d because it's more like real life. If you're looking at something close, it is in focus but things at other depths are out of focus. Then look at something in the background and it suddenly becomes in focus and what you were looking at is now out of focus and blurry. In a 3d movie you kind of expect the same because it works similar to real vision, but usually they still add artificial blur with the camera to direct your focus (especially for those watching the 2d version). I think there are a few examples where they actually use infinite focus in 3d movies, but I can't think of any.

If this is not the case, sorry for the rant and I hope the new glasses fix this for you!
Interesting... I think your description matches what I’ve experienced for the most part... except when I focus on the background it stays blurry... it does feel like there is some artificial blur involved! I got my glasses today... they totally didn’t send ones like those shown in the photos but I’ll try them out anyway!

post #131 of 136 Old Today, 10:45 AM

Here's what I have going right now. The rolling cart is obviously temporary and it goes back to the tv stand when done and the hdmi cable rolls back nicely too. The blue edges of the wall past the gray and the white ceiling will be all covered with triple black velvet once I have the projector mounted to where I like it. Then will also create a masking system with triple black velvet and magnets for an 2.35:1 material. Any fuzziness you see is from my phone camera picture quality not the image that I see in person
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1743.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	896.6 KB
ID:	2703496   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1742.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	843.1 KB
ID:	2703498   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1738.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	642.9 KB
ID:	2703500  
post #132 of 136 Old Today, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJPanda View Post
Hi everybody! I am keeping the UHL55 and have been enjoying it quite a bit now that I have the wall painted and ready to mount the projector. I would greatly appreciate and help with suggestions if someone has theirs mounted already and all is working well. The separate power box is a pain. I was looking for an alternative idea that would support the projector and the power box. Here is an idea I may try as it will be definitely wide enough and open for ventilation and can move the projector a little but and adjust height since it has no lens shift. What do you all think of this https://www.amazon.com/HyLoft-36-Inc...en&sr=1-7&th=1
Because I wanted a 120” screen and have lower ceilings I didn’t have enough wiggle room for a true mount! I watched a video on YouTube of some guy using a metal sheet as a low profile mount and did that... I painted it to match the ceiling but it looks kind of ghetto lol the hardest part of dealing with this projector was mounting it for sure...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E3C2E992-BBC9-46EB-9167-DC445A97D719_1585595468453.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	2703558  

Last edited by David Biagas; Today at 12:11 PM. Reason: Pic not working
post #133 of 136 Old Today, 10:53 AM

Smile

Quote:
Because I wanted a 120” screen and have lower ceilings I didn’t have enough wiggle room for a true mount! I watched a video on YouTube of some guy using a metal sheet as a low profile mount and did that... I painted it to match the ceiling but it looks kind of ghetto lol the hardest part of dealing with this projector was mounting it for sure...
'

Looks pretty good to me. Not sure if that solution would work for my application though. Thankfully I don't have to set up an outlet. Going to buy a replacement 3 prong cord that plugs into the box and run that with cable channel/d-line to an outlet about 8 ft behind that and down on a wall. My living room is pretty big and the hardest part with this is most definitely the placement and mounting.

Last edited by PJPanda; Today at 11:16 AM.
post #134 of 136 Old Today, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Interesting... I think your description matches what I’ve experienced for the most part... except when I focus on the background it stays blurry... it does feel like there is some artificial blur involved! I got my glasses today... they totally didn’t send ones like those shown in the photos but I’ll try them out anyway!
If you think about it while watching any 2d movie, you will see that is just how movies are made. Only what the director wants you to focus on is clear. It is more rare to have infinite focus, but it's usually with sprawling scenery shots like in a lot of nature documentaries.

If a movie is made specifically for 3d, the director may have the forethought to make everything in focus. Since in 3d, layers we aren't looking at are already naturally blurry like in real life. It would be more realistic for the camera to shoot everything in focus, but still may take away some of the directors intent.

Hopefully I explained it ok, I could probably write a page or two more about it, but don't want to derail the thread anymore...

Sorry about the glasses. If they are not what is pictured, they will take them back in a second if you got them on amazon.

Pioneer VSX-1131
HTPC/Pimax5k+/XboxOneX
post #135 of 136 Old Today, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Quote:
If you think about it while watching any 2d movie, you will see that is just how movies are made. Only what the director wants you to focus on is clear. It is more rare to have infinite focus, but it's usually with sprawling scenery shots like in a lot of nature documentaries.

If a movie is made specifically for 3d, the director may have the forethought to make everything in focus. Since in 3d, layers we aren't looking at are already naturally blurry like in real life. It would be more realistic for the camera to shoot everything in focus, but still may take away some of the directors intent.

Hopefully I explained it ok, I could probably write a page or two more about it, but don't want to derail the thread anymore...

Sorry about the glasses. If they are not what is pictured, they will take them back in a second if you got them on amazon.
Yeah that makes total sense... thanks for all the helpful advice! No worries about the glasses... nice to have a second type to try out... I’ll keep one or the other depending on how the image looks and comfort!

post #136 of 136 Old Today, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJPanda View Post
Quote:
Because I wanted a 120â€Â screen and have lower ceilings I didn’️t have enough wiggle room for a true mount! I watched a video on YouTube of some guy using a metal sheet as a low profile mount and did that... I painted it to match the ceiling but it looks kind of ghetto lol the hardest part of dealing with this projector was mounting it for sure...
'

Looks pretty good to me. Not sure if that solution would work for my application though. Thankfully I don't have to set up an outlet. Going to buy a replacement 3 prong cord that plugs into the box and run that with cable channel/d-line to an outlet about 8 ft behind that and down on a wall. My living room is pretty big and the hardest part with this is most definitely the placement and mounting.
My advice would be to just take your time... I got impatient because I really wanted to mount it... so I forced my wife to help me like 20 minutes before she left for work.... there are some internal settings I could’ve used/benefitted from but I was in such a rush that I didn’t even think to use them.... alas my image is a little slanted on the bottom but straight up top....

Last edited by David Biagas; Today at 05:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Front Projectors Great Found Deals!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page