Sony BDP-S6500 under $100 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 08-30-2015, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 870 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Sony BDP-S6500 under $100

Crutchfield, Amazon, and Best Buy, at this writing, are selling the Sony BDP-S6500 for slightly less than $100.

If you are not familiar with Crutchfield, they are exceptionally trustworthy and helpful. Their products are shipped free and come with a 60-day defective exchange or refund policy. In my experience returns are painless and easy. I have been a customer for over 30 years. Here is a link:

http://www.crutchfield.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-01-2015, 09:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex F. View Post
Crutchfield, Amazon, and Best Buy, at this writing, are selling the Sony BDP-S6500 for slightly less than $100.

If you are not familiar with Crutchfield, they are exceptionally trustworthy and helpful. Their products are shipped free and come with a 60-day defective exchange or refund policy. In my experience returns are painless and easy. I have been a customer for over 30 years. Here is a link:

http://www.crutchfield.com/
Hi All,

Looking for a cheap Blu Ray player that can stream Netflix for our bedroom. Problem is that just about all models below $200 seem to have about 10% bad reviews for the ability to stream according to Amazon and other sites. The Sony model listed here is a perfect example.

Is this just the reality of 10% failure rate in MFG of low end electronics nowadays or is there an alternative vendor besides Sony, Samsung, Panasonic that seem to rule this low end market?

I have an Oppo 93 for my living room but cannot splurge that much for the bedroom. Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Marc
post #3 of 14 Old 09-02-2015, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastsideCyclist View Post
Hi All,

Looking for a cheap Blu Ray player that can stream Netflix for our bedroom. Problem is that just about all models below $200 seem to have about 10% bad reviews for the ability to stream according to Amazon and other sites. The Sony model listed here is a perfect example.

Is this just the reality of 10% failure rate in MFG of low end electronics nowadays or is there an alternative vendor besides Sony, Samsung, Panasonic that seem to rule this low end market?

I have an Oppo 93 for my living room but cannot splurge that much for the bedroom. Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Marc
Problems with Blu-ray players can extend to higher end models as well. My Oppo 83 drove me nuts with glitches and performance issues. I was happy to get rid of it.

My experience with the Sony 6500's streaming performance is here (see Post 873):

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-bl...layers-30.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 09-02-2015, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Problems with Blu-ray players can extend to higher end models as well. My Oppo 83 drove me nuts with glitches and performance issues. I was happy to get rid of it.

My experience with the Sony 6500's streaming performance is here (see Post 873):

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-bl...layers-30.html
Ok, thanks for your response and the link. I ordered one from Amazon- that way if it is a dud I can return it no questions asked. Crossing my fingers I get a "good" one.

Cheers,
Marc

P.S.

I have a BDPS5200 at our cabin that would not connect to our internet this weekend while the VIZIO tv that was right next to it streamed Netflix fine.
post #5 of 14 Old 09-06-2015, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Ok, thanks for your response and the link. I ordered one from Amazon- that way if it is a dud I can return it no questions asked. Crossing my fingers I get a "good" one.

Cheers,
Marc

P.S.

I have a BDPS5200 at our cabin that would not connect to our internet this weekend while the VIZIO tv that was right next to it streamed Netflix fine.
Pulled the trigger. Received the unit and installed. Immediately upgraded the firmware using a USB stick. From what I have read that is the safest method for upgrading the Sony Blu Ray players. Streamed a couple hours of Netfflix without issue. Have not tested a Blu Ray disc yet but so far so good!
post #6 of 14 Old 09-06-2015, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Pulled the trigger. Received the unit and installed. Immediately upgraded the firmware using a USB stick. From what I have read that is the safest method for upgrading the Sony Blu Ray players. Streamed a couple hours of Netfflix without issue. Have not tested a Blu Ray disc yet but so far so good!
I've updated the firmware on many players, including two Sony 6500s, via wi-fi without any problems. It is as easy as pressing about three or four remote-control buttons and exiting the room for a few minutes, then you're done. That's it!

I hope your new Sony brings you years of problem-free entertainment.
post #7 of 14 Old 09-28-2015, 12:13 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I purchased one at bestbuy so far no issues after a firmware update.
post #8 of 14 Old 11-01-2015, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Looks like this deal is back.
post #9 of 14 Old 11-07-2015, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I bought this on Amazon a couple of weeks ago @ $128, but after messaging a request for the new price they gave me a $30 refund! Thx for the heads up.
post #10 of 14 Old 01-26-2016, 11:26 AM

Liked: 14
Send a message via Yahoo to OnePCWhiz
The Sony 6500 is a real pile of junk, IMO.

It stutters playing Youtube, Netflix and Amazon Prime Video and locks up frequently.. requiring an unplug from the electrical outlet as the power button freezes as well.

You'd be better off buying a used PS3 as it performs so much better and rarely ever locks up.

It plays Blu-Rays well enough I guess and has a lot faster loading time than the PS3, but as far as the other apps.. I would not recommend it.

Thanks for listening.
post #11 of 14 Old 01-26-2016, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnePCWhiz View Post
The Sony 6500 is a real pile of junk, IMO.

It stutters playing Youtube, Netflix and Amazon Prime Video and locks up frequently.. requiring an unplug from the electrical outlet as the power button freezes as well.

You'd be better off buying a used PS3 as it performs so much better and rarely ever locks up.

It plays Blu-Rays well enough I guess and has a lot faster loading time than the PS3, but as far as the other apps.. I would not recommend it.

Thanks for listening.
My first 6500 was glitch-prone, too. I returned it for a refund. I later purchased two more and both work just fine and deliver superb video performance (i.e., Blu-ray playback, DVD upscaling, and Netflix and Hulu wifi streaming). You apparently had a defective sample.
post #12 of 14 Old 02-19-2016, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Can anyone here comment on the S6500 vs the PS4 for video quality. I did buy an s6500 at was mystified by the video quality. Pretty great from what I can tell. The one thing I don't like that I expected was that it's slower to operate than maybe a PS4 would but I'm reading a lot of negative things about both the Blu Ray playback and overall video quality output of the PS4 so while I'd like to be able to navigate the system faster, I'd rather have video quality. If anyone can comment on this I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
post #13 of 14 Old 05-10-2016, 10:57 AM

Liked: 14
Send a message via Yahoo to OnePCWhiz
Quote:
My first 6500 was glitch-prone, too. I returned it for a refund. I later purchased two more and both work just fine and deliver superb video performance (i.e., Blu-ray playback, DVD upscaling, and Netflix and Hulu wifi streaming). You apparently had a defective sample.
There was a firmware update available this morning so I downloaded it and Youtube seems 100 times better. It doesn't glitch out when ads play and is much smoother.

I'll do more testing tonight and see if it locks up any more.

Old version

M26.R.0214

New version

M26.R.0218
post #14 of 14 Old 05-10-2016, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnePCWhiz View Post
There was a firmware update available this morning so I downloaded it and Youtube seems 100 times better. It doesn't glitch out when ads play and is much smoother.

I'll do more testing tonight and see if it locks up any more.

Old version

M26.R.0214

New version

M26.R.0218
Thank you for the info.

You should post this in the following thread, where far more folks will read it:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-bl...y-players.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Player Great Found Deals!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page