apparently ripped off by a forum member /resovled - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 259Likes

post #31 of 201 Old 02-13-2017, 07:43 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 399
And all these people wonder why other forums have rules/requirements for posting in the Classifieds and warn people to only use Paypal, as well as to never send it as a gift. Also, on that topic, it is against Paypal terms of service to ask the buyer to pay for the 3% charge, and buyers can screenshot and report said Paypal user for violating the End User Agreement. It is also against their ToS to ask for payments as gifts.

4.6 No Surcharges. You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services, as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge and is not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions.
Per the PayPal End user agreement, you may not ask for payment as a gift.

4.1 Receiving Personal Payments. If you are selling goods or services, you may not ask the buyer to send you a Personal Payment for the purchase. If you do so, PayPal may remove your ability to accept Personal Payments.
Madmax67 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 201 Old 02-13-2017, 07:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hope it isn't over and seller makes good. Some folks do run into issues, but get it worked out in the long run.

File a police report with the jurisdiction you sent the money too.
If it was a mistake or oversight on the seller's part, it may get resolved more quickly. You are doing what you can to protect your rights. Hopefully, they understand.
post #33 of 201 Old 02-13-2017, 08:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post
Another member that has stolen money from a fellow avs member is

Brian Fineberg (media classified)

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/213-ph...ts-choose.html
Well since his name is already out there. That's the guy. Proof:

That's the last I heard from him.

At the end of the day, Tom V. from PSA came through for me in a big way, so I actually didn't lose out on anything in the long run. I've got an awesome sub that sounds (and now looks) great, and Tom got (for what it's worth) a customer for life.

It's too bad there's people out there like him, but the other side of the coin is there's people out there like Tom - so I guess it balances out in the long run

Last edited by Sean Spamilton; 02-13-2017 at 08:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 201 Old 02-13-2017, 08:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Great to hear you came out ok, great to hear a CS story of that caliber from PSA in today's run and hide CS, especially when they had no responsibility in your situation.

Marantz SR6010 -- Marantz MM7025 -- Marantz UD5007
Klipsch RF-7ii's - RC-64ii - RB-51ii's - RS-42ii's - R-112sw(x2)

HK990 -- HD990 -- Klipsch RF-7ii's
post #35 of 201 Old 02-13-2017, 08:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2106 Post(s)
Liked: 2419
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb12679 View Post
Another way to check up on someone is to ask for their ebay ID. Most have bought or sold on ebay to some extent. When they give you their ID, send a message through ebay confirming that they are the member they claim to be and look at their feedback
Mine would be my brothers as I don't have my own Personal Ebay/ Paypal account but that's a good idea. Just saying it would make someone like me look shady( P.S. I'm not) when I just don't use credit cards anymore but I've only bought here not sold so far. I hate hearing stuff like this but it's an honor code thing only without the protections mentioned. Sad but true.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
post #36 of 201 Old 02-13-2017, 08:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Youve got 1300 posts, people can drop back and read and decide. But some sellers have 100 posts and are selling 1-3k$ items. There is no cure all, and yes above mentioned might rule you out, but 90% in. Just options, and I have never done what I mentioned, just thought about it when I read this post for a possible solution

Marantz SR6010 -- Marantz MM7025 -- Marantz UD5007
Klipsch RF-7ii's - RC-64ii - RB-51ii's - RS-42ii's - R-112sw(x2)

HK990 -- HD990 -- Klipsch RF-7ii's
post #37 of 201 Old 02-13-2017, 08:54 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 1600 Post(s)
Liked: 2195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Spamilton View Post

At the end of the day, Tom V. from PSA came through for me in a big way, so I actually didn't lose out on anything in the long run. I've got an awesome sub that sounds (and now looks) great, and Tom got (for what it's worth) a customer for life.

It's too bad there's people out there like him, but the other side of the coin is there's people out there like Tom - so I guess it balances out in the long run
Brian was one of the loudest voices in calling out reaction audio...almost in a self righteous way. Come to find out he stoled money from at least two avs members and scam insurance money from fedex. I guess we know the true person behind all those posts.
post #38 of 201 Old 02-13-2017, 08:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I had a guy up here in Canada, just outside my home city (Winnipeg), buy a TV from me through the classifieds site Kijiji a couple months ago (very popular in Canada). We met, it was all cordial and he was super friendly, and I let my guard down and offered to accept an e-transfer. After he clicked submit on his phone, we shook hands and he drove off -- and promptly canceled his transfer. $500 lost...

...Except he left behind his name and cell number. After spamming him incessantly from various cell phones and texting websites for two days, I took his details to the local police station. A day later I texted him to ask if it was really worth the RCMP showing up at his door. Ten minutes later I had my e-transfer.

My lessons were many, but one stood out: We have laws because each of us has a moral compass that wavers from true north occasionally. What causes it, and how much it moves, varies. My guy wasn't too bright and didn't believe he would be caught; I didn't take a photo of him or his license plate, didn't have his last name, etc. Had I done those things he would have had just enough sense of consequence to not do I -- I didn't do him any favours by making it easy for his compass to slip.

Since he eventually did e-transfer me, I then had his full name, email address, banking info, etc. which the police asked for when I called to cancel the report.
Scarriere, femi, bimmaguy and 3 others like this.
post #39 of 201 Old 02-13-2017, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Brian was one of the loudest voices in calling out reaction audio...almost in a self righteous way. Come to find out he stoled money from at least two avs members and scam insurance money from fedex. I guess we know the true person behind all those posts.
Wow! Fineberg was a scam artist? Unbelievable. He was relentless in his pursuit of RA, frequently voicing his opinion on Jeremy and his dealings.
I'm shocked. He was/is on the Emotiva forum too, and I'd never have pegged him for this type of behaviour.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
post #40 of 201 Old 02-13-2017, 09:22 PM

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Spamilton View Post

Quote:
DELETED as it's not my place to comment.

I've sent f&f payments to a few members here. And used E-transfer for Canadian members.
Threads like this scare the hell outta me..

And to the OP, I genuinely hope you get sorted out.

Last edited by Fattykidd; 02-14-2017 at 08:43 PM.
post #41 of 201 Old 02-13-2017, 09:34 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Good luck. As much as there are many good, decent ppl on this forum, unfortunately we also have aholes who prey on trust. Just need to be smart.
post #42 of 201 Old 02-13-2017, 10:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked: 532
FYI, if you wonder why FedEx pays the shipper - they pay whoever bought the insurance. Paying for shipping doesn't mean you paid for it, you just paid the seller who could use it for shipping - fedex etc will only pay the person who paid shipping and insurance. If you're a buyer, you're supposed to get it back through the seller.

In fact, if you're a big seller and shipper, you may self insure - it may be cheaper to not pay for fedex insurance and instead simply choose to refund or re ship the item on the rare occasion it is lost and damaged. Our company does this, and with only one package actually lost, it cost us less to simply send out a new item than if we paid for insurance on the items.
post #43 of 201 Old 02-13-2017, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Feel so bad for you TS. Let this be an expensive lesson to never use any other method besides paypal and make sure you NEVER sent the payment as gift. Wish I could punch the guy in the face I hate thieves with a passion :angry:
Modicen and atx2014 like this.
post #44 of 201 Old 02-13-2017, 11:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Youve got 1300 posts, people can drop back and read and decide. But some sellers have 100 posts and are selling 1-3k$ items. There is no cure all, and yes above mentioned might rule you out, but 90% in. Just options, and I have never done what I mentioned, just thought about it when I read this post for a possible solution
I'm in agreement with you. Unfortunately I believe one of the sellers in question had been even more prolific in posting than I have so I like your other take. Hopefully he really liked interacting with other audio enthusiasts here as I myself currently do and the punishment actually means something to him/them. Sad we even have to talk about this but maybe it will help someone else. This hobby is supposed to be a fun escape.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
post #45 of 201 Old 02-13-2017, 11:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsand View Post
Wow! Fineberg was a scam artist? Unbelievable. He was relentless in his pursuit of RA, frequently voicing his opinion on Jeremy and his dealings.
I'm shocked. He was/is on the Emotiva forum too, and I'd never have pegged him for this type of behaviour.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
Yep, him and several other long time posters here who got flamed over and over for trying to ring the alarm bell early on RA. Not saying what he did here was right but he and others( you know who you are) were right about RA and this doesn't change that fact. Hope being banned actually means something to him though. You don't mess with a man's money.

post #46 of 201 Old 02-14-2017, 05:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Quoted: 3347 Post(s)
Liked: 4027
I have bought and sold many items and have sent and received gift payments. Not everyone is a crook and Paypal's buyer protection can be a joke. All I am saying is be smart with whom you deal with and don't rely on Paypal as your security net. I got burned on a Paypal dispute and they did nothing. The best course of action is to use a credit card if you buying through Paypal, not your checking account. A credit card gives you more security in the end. As mentioned earlier, you can back-track person's posts and find out a lot about them. Albeit, I probably would have been burned by Brian since he appeared to be a straight shooter.

Chris

Last edited by Molon_Labe; 02-14-2017 at 06:08 AM.
post #47 of 201 Old 02-14-2017, 05:38 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 1600 Post(s)
Liked: 2195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax67 View Post
Yep, him and several other long time posters here who got flamed over and over for trying to ring the alarm bell early on RA. Not saying what he did here was right but he and others( you know who you are) were right about RA and this doesn't change that fact. Hope being banned actually means something to him though. You don't mess with a man's money.
My point in bringing up his posts about RA was not to support or lessen what RA did (I was negatively impacted by their conduct)...but to point out the "two-faced" conduct by Brian. What Brian did to both of the AVS members and (allegedly) keeping the Fedex insurance claim money is same type of conduct he was condemning from RA. Unfortunately, his ban does not reimburse those whose money he took or businesses he financially impacted.
CruelInventions likes this.

Last edited by rboster; 02-14-2017 at 05:44 AM.
post #48 of 201 Old 02-14-2017, 05:54 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 29
As much as I sympathize with OP, can we move this thread elsewhere. It keeps getting bumped with new comments, like this one, that may adversely affect trustworthy sellers from completing sales here. Since potential buyers could be influenced not to do transactions with members here by reading this thread. I think many are good, trusted sellers. Part of engaging in sales here is knowing the risks. If one doesn't, they will learn soon enough. OP, I wish you all the best in recovering your funds. On the bright side, it could have been the full amount instead of $500.
99Limited and checker9 like this.

Last edited by mrgigalevu; 02-14-2017 at 06:06 AM.
post #49 of 201 Old 02-14-2017, 05:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked: 3147
Wow, thanks for letting me know about Brian, unbelievable behavior. There are still a lot of great members on this forum who I wouldn't hesitate to do business with (Chris and our retired Moderator being two of many), but regardless of who they were I would always go the Paypal route, which has been the case when I've sold items, 3% transaction fee isn't going to make or break the transaction IMO. I always raise the eyebrows when you see expensive equipment listed by members with only a few posts, a sticky to the classifieds regarding unfavorable transactions would be nice. Still wouldn't prevent the one off behavior and I hope when situations like this are documented members are banned for life unless the matter is settled quickly.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #50 of 201 Old 02-14-2017, 06:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked: 3147
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgigalevu View Post
As much as I sympathize with OP, can we move this thread elsewhere. It keeps getting bumped with new comments, like this one, that may adversely affect trustworthy sellers from completing sales here. Since potential buyers could be influenced not to do transactions with members here by reading this thread. I think this thread could negatively affect good, trusted sellers. Part of engaging in sales here is knowing the risks. If one doesn't, they will learn soon enough. OP, I wish you all the best in recovering your funds. On the bright side it could have been the full amount instead of $500.
I respectfully disagree. If a potential buyer reads this thread and wants to ask me a few more questions, or does a little more homework, I'm all for it. For the record I've sold a number of items during the past 3 or 4 years on AVS, including an item a few months ago. Information about these transactions needs to be shared and were else would it be shared? I assumed Brian was a class act (sorry to any RA fans), from interactions with him on this forum and others. Now I know better.

P.S. The bright side is a lot easier to point out when you're not the one out $500

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #51 of 201 Old 02-14-2017, 06:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Quoted: 3347 Post(s)
Liked: 4027
There should be a sticky with seller feedback and transactions. This way people can search and have a little history on whom their dealing with.
post #52 of 201 Old 02-14-2017, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 27
ripped off by forum member

Here is a copy of the email he first contacted me with .You still.interested in a Sub? I have a steal of a deal if you think you want it. I have a 5 month old SVS PC13-ULTRA SUBWOOFER that is originally $1,699, I'm letting it go for $1,000 plus buyer pays the shipping cost. I'm in Texas.
I have a gentleman who seems to be inconsistent with his commitment to buy it from me.
post #53 of 201 Old 02-14-2017, 07:49 AM
Insert Title Here

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvillemusician View Post
I'm in Texas.
Where in Texas? I have a full tank of gas.
LondonBenji and Snoogleheimer like this.

Main:Marantz SR7010|Oppo UDP-203|KEF R500|KEF R200C|AIM5 Series 2|SVS PB12-NSD|Panamax 7500-PRO
Office:Emotiva XMC-1|Emotiva XPA-5|Oppo BDP-103|KEF R100|KEF R200C|SVS PB12-NSD|AIM5 Series 2
Workshop:Onkyo TX-RZ810|Emotiva XPA-2|Emotiva XPA-3|Oppo BDP-93|KEF Q300|KEF Q200C|KEF Q100|Dual HSU MBM-12|Dual 1262W|Crown XLS2502
post #54 of 201 Old 02-14-2017, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgigalevu View Post
As much as I sympathize with OP, can we move this thread elsewhere. It keeps getting bumped with new comments, like this one, that may adversely affect trustworthy sellers from completing sales here. Since potential buyers could be influenced not to do transactions with members here by reading this thread. I think many are good, trusted sellers. Part of engaging in sales here is knowing the risks. If one doesn't, they will learn soon enough. OP, I wish you all the best in recovering your funds. On the bright side, it could have been the full amount instead of $500.
it almost was.
post #55 of 201 Old 02-14-2017, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Great to hear you came out ok, great to hear a CS story of that caliber from PSA in today's run and hide CS, especially when they had no responsibility in your situation.
boy i wish psa would give me a deal on a new sub.
post #56 of 201 Old 02-14-2017, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHaynes View Post
Where in Texas? I have a full tank of gas.
midland texas
post #57 of 201 Old 02-14-2017, 08:21 AM
Insert Title Here

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvillemusician View Post
midland texas
Dang, that's an 8 hour drive from Houston.

Main:Marantz SR7010|Oppo UDP-203|KEF R500|KEF R200C|AIM5 Series 2|SVS PB12-NSD|Panamax 7500-PRO
Office:Emotiva XMC-1|Emotiva XPA-5|Oppo BDP-103|KEF R100|KEF R200C|SVS PB12-NSD|AIM5 Series 2
Workshop:Onkyo TX-RZ810|Emotiva XPA-2|Emotiva XPA-3|Oppo BDP-93|KEF Q300|KEF Q200C|KEF Q100|Dual HSU MBM-12|Dual 1262W|Crown XLS2502
post #58 of 201 Old 02-14-2017, 08:22 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Another member that has stolen money from a fellow avs member is

Brian Fineberg (media classified)

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/213-ph...ts-choose.html

I'm a long time member here, have purchased many items here as well, including 2 of Brian's old PSA xs30's. It wasn't a perfect transaction - 1 was advertised as damaged, which it did have a blemish as described, but it did not come with either grill (not disclosed), he edited the ad after I received the subs and asked for the grills (indicating that the grills are missing..), but I was able to get a screenshot of the original ad as cached in google from a prior date with no mention of the missing grills - I was not happy, I knew he was not telling me the truth. I didn't fight it, more than calling him out on it - not worth the time and effort. Tom at PSA was great and sold me the 2 grills at cost, which was over $100 - don't recall exactly. The other xs30 was damaged in transit (took a bump to the corner - not noticeable in my room as it faces the wall). Brian filed the claim with fedex, which I was later fairly compensated for.

I paid via paypal for the subs, I choose to pay the 3% premium to Brian vs friends and family. I didn't think much of this transaction soon after - I had two great working subs at a fair price (despite added grills cost) to add to my already existing dual xs30s (I have quads now).
post #59 of 201 Old 02-14-2017, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 228
I've received payment twice for 2 things I sold recently through PayPal "gift" to avoid the 3% fee. I only learned of that ability recently while started selling things on here, I didn't know that it was frowned upon to use it. I thought it was a loop hole to the 3%.

This is why I prefer in person, face to face cash deals. The person sees the product, tests the product, if all checks out, pays in cash, shake hands and take the product home. And everyone lived happily ever after. Unfortunately that's not always a possibility.
post #60 of 201 Old 02-14-2017, 08:40 AM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
There should be a sticky with seller feedback and transactions. This way people can search and have a little history on whom their dealing with.
Agreed. Here's a very nicely designed Buy and Sell Section from a forum about the same user base size as AVS, more or less. Different hobby but just as expensive.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/10

The actual for sale posts also have a very well defined format, with each item clearly separated, with clear descriptions, ratings, asking price and method of payment.

Also very important, there is a section in the Rules and Guidelines that says "Members should only use INSURED payment methods", among other things that are meant to protect the buyer.
MentatYP and r.furborough like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Gear

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page