Velodyne SMS-1 Subwoofer EQ w/ Mic Complete - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By NickTF

post #1 of 10 Old 03-09-2017, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Velodyne SMS-1 Subwoofer EQ w/ Mic Complete

Have an SMS-1 Subwoofer EQ w/ Mic and remote I no longer have a use for. The unit is in great condition and worked wonderfully to EQ my infinite baffle subwoofer setup. I have all original packaging. Will sell the unit for $300 plus shipping. Can get pics at a later date. In the meantime here is an older photograph of the eq graph on my tv screen during an eq session.

29 Litres of Infinite Baffle Bliss. Oh, and the rest of the setup isn't too shabby either!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-09-2017, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTF View Post
Have an SMS-1 Subwoofer EQ w/ Mic and remote I no longer have a use for. The unit is in great condition and worked wonderfully to EQ my infinite baffle subwoofer setup. I have all original packaging. Will sell the unit for $300 plus shipping. Can get pics at a later date. In the meantime here is an older photograph of the eq graph on my tv screen during an eq session.

How would you rate this product? Did it do a good job of taming your subs? I currently have 3 subs and have been exploring ways to insure they are properly "tuned" for my environment.
post #3 of 10 Old 03-09-2017, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Goat View Post
How would you rate this product? Did it do a good job of taming your subs? I currently have 3 subs and have been exploring ways to insure they are properly "tuned" for my environment.
5 out of 5. You have up to 6 different settings you can save (classical, rock, etc.) to give different eq curves however you want. When I employed it on my IB setup it completely tamed the massive 30hz bump I had and brought out the 70-100 hz response that was missing pre eq. I recently bought an SC-85 Elite Pioneer which has MCACC pro which eqs the sub automatically now (btw, the sms-1 also does auto eq) so the SMS-1 has become redundant. One of the biggest features I enjoyed was simply being able to adjust the subwoofer level by remote. My prior pioneer 1015tx did not have that capability and with four 18s and ~2600watts or so and a wife (and now child) the ability to tame certain movies via remote is a huge necessity.

29 Litres of Infinite Baffle Bliss. Oh, and the rest of the setup isn't too shabby either!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 03-09-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
5 out of 5. You have up to 6 different settings you can save (classical, rock, etc.) to give different eq curves however you want. When I employed it on my IB setup it completely tamed the massive 30hz bump I had and brought out the 70-100 hz response that was missing pre eq. I recently bought an SC-85 Elite Pioneer which has MCACC pro which eqs the sub automatically now (btw, the sms-1 also does auto eq) so the SMS-1 has become redundant. One of the biggest features I enjoyed was simply being able to adjust the subwoofer level by remote. My prior pioneer 1015tx did not have that capability and with four 18s and ~2600watts or so and a wife (and now child) the ability to tame certain movies via remote is a huge necessity.
Please post pics of what is included with sale and let me know where you are for shipping purposes.

Thanks,
~ Mike
post #5 of 10 Old 03-09-2017, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Please post pics of what is included with sale and let me know where you are for shipping purposes.

Thanks,
~ Mike
I'm in southern Delaware. I will get some pics later this evening most likely.
65Goat likes this.

post #6 of 10 Old 03-09-2017, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

For fun I just went back through my old IB build thread and found the following which summarized my initial experience with the SMS-1. This was from 2007:

I use a SMS1 with the latest software to prevent distortion issues and roll off. The curve was pretty flat un eq'd but I had dips at 60ish hertz and a big peak around 25-35 hz. They have since been removed with the SMS1.

Since i've eq'd I'm even more ecstatic!!! Viny Paul (panteras drummer) is now in my living room! Chevelle's bass guitartist brings me beer from the refrigirator while he plays in front of my projection screen and jams away to Still Running! UNDERSTAND THIS IS THE KIND OF PERFORMANCE I'VE BEEN SEARCHING FOR EVERY SINCE I'VE BEEN INTO THE HOME STEREO GAME FOR MY HOME!!!

Anyone who says IBs don't have slam needs more power and or EQing trust me. This thing just embarasses my previous setup which I was totally happy with for the most part!

Since EQing the infrasonics have become more apparent on movies as well. I'm sure this is because I flattened out the 25-35hz peak which made the other lower frequencies become more aparent.

If you guys like I could try to snap a picture of my EQ curve presented by the SMS1 on the projector. Just let me know.

post #7 of 10 Old 03-09-2017, 08:56 PM

Quote:
For fun I just went back through my old IB build thread and found the following which summarized my initial experience with the SMS-1. This was from 2007:

I use a SMS1 with the latest software to prevent distortion issues and roll off. The curve was pretty flat un eq'd but I had dips at 60ish hertz and a big peak around 25-35 hz. They have since been removed with the SMS1.

Since i've eq'd I'm even more ecstatic!!! Viny Paul (panteras drummer) is now in my living room! Chevelle's bass guitartist brings me beer from the refrigirator while he plays in front of my projection screen and jams away to Still Running! UNDERSTAND THIS IS THE KIND OF PERFORMANCE I'VE BEEN SEARCHING FOR EVERY SINCE I'VE BEEN INTO THE HOME STEREO GAME FOR MY HOME!!!

Anyone who says IBs don't have slam needs more power and or EQing trust me. This thing just embarasses my previous setup which I was totally happy with for the most part!

Since EQing the infrasonics have become more apparent on movies as well. I'm sure this is because I flattened out the 25-35hz peak which made the other lower frequencies become more aparent.

If you guys like I could try to snap a picture of my EQ curve presented by the SMS1 on the projector. Just let me know.
Nick - after doing some research on the SMS-1 I'm not sure that it would do anything for me. I am currently running a Marantz 8802a and have been told that the Audyssey MultEQ XT32 does a better job with calibration - nothing against the SMS-1 and if I had a different pre-pro it might have helped.

GLWS
post #8 of 10 Old 03-10-2017, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Nick - after doing some research on the SMS-1 I'm not sure that it would do anything for me. I am currently running a Marantz 8802a and have been told that the Audyssey MultEQ XT32 does a better job with calibration - nothing against the SMS-1 and if I had a different pre-pro it might have helped.

GLWS
I would say it depends on your needs. For my IB it is very flat and only requires the equalization at two areas of around 30-40hz and closer to it's 100hz crossover. For my IB the MCACC Pro is fine which is why i'm selling the sms-1. From what I gather the XT32 has more band of equalization so it would likely be fine too. Now, if you have a nightmare room and small sealed box subs I feel like the SMS-1 is the way to go. Hard to beat how it plays a test tone and displays things on your tv/projector while you adjust manually (or let it auto adjust) seeing how your changes work out. I'm not familiar with the ins and outs of XT32 or even all of the functions of MCACC Pro so this is somewhat of an estimation on my part. If you have no way to equalize your sub with multiple parametric bands the SMS-1 is as good as it gets for that.

post #9 of 10 Old 03-10-2017, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Last edited by NickTF; 03-12-2017 at 02:14 PM.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-10-2017, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
I would say it depends on your needs. For my IB it is very flat and only requires the equalization at two areas of around 30-40hz and closer to it's 100hz crossover. For my IB the MCACC Pro is fine which is why i'm selling the sms-1. From what I gather the XT32 has more band of equalization so it would likely be fine too. Now, if you have a nightmare room and small sealed box subs I feel like the SMS-1 is the way to go. Hard to beat how it plays a test tone and displays things on your tv/projector while you adjust manually (or let it auto adjust) seeing how your changes work out. I'm not familiar with the ins and outs of XT32 or even all of the functions of MCACC Pro so this is somewhat of an estimation on my part. If you have no way to equalize your sub with multiple parametric bands the SMS-1 is as good as it gets for that.
It definitely depends on your needs. I also have an 8802A and use 2 sms-1's with 4 danley DTS-10's. XT32 completely butchered my sub setup. I would get everything phase and time correct before audyssey calibration and then it would cause horrendously bad phase issues I would have to again correct with the sms-1. Being able to set phase, HPF, and all the other tools saved the day.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Gear

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page