Just a warning for buyers - Ripoff alert - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 82Likes
Closed Thread

post #31 of 69 Old 11-25-2018, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhuski View Post
sorry to hear about it.

Cases like this make me wonder why AVS got rid of the classifieds feedback tracker
Totally agree. AVS, are you listening.?

Current Equipment: Datasat LS10 w/ Atmos and DIRAC, ATI AT6005, Audio Control Savoy G3, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), SR3's sides, LR3's (rears),(4) RSL C34E’s (Atmos), Submersive HP, Marantz VP15s1, 123" diag 16:9 Stewart Cima Neve screen, Oppo BDP-103, Palliser Flicks Seating AC Power: Eaton whole-house surge protector at main panel, (3) 20 amp circuits, Surgex XR315 at equipment rack, Cyberpower 1400VA/900 watt, true sine wave UPS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 69 Old 11-25-2018, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Not everyone that refuses to take paypal is a scammer. I'd never take paypal as a seller as you can just as easily get ripped off that way. One thing, if the seller has been on the forums for a long time with posts and such he's probably an ok guy. Also if you request pictures, request something specific like a photo of the item with a hand showing a peace sign or put a penny on the box and photo it etc. If a person cant snap a quick photo then they don't have the item.

I agree, Paypal is just as easy to scam someone. Any form is- I prefer Google Pay- They are very diligent. Im out $1200 from a paypal transaction a few years ago. Last year i sold my amp and used Google Pay- and the guy claimed it wasn't as described and not working. I took video of it working perfectly, shut it off unplugged it packed it and attached label--The google person actually laughed in our conversation.

Anyway i don't use paypal because FEES galore and they tend to not fully investigate. Ive bought and sold a few things using google pay and never once payed a fee.
post #33 of 69 Old 11-25-2018, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradJ View Post
The members name is Marienjir. It really doesn't matter though, as the scammers can just make a new account.

To answer the other post, the amp in question was an Emotiva XPA-3. He even sent pictures. I'm sure he has a set of pictures for whatever piece of equipment you want.

Ultimately it comes down to not using Western Union, you have no recourse. Never do it.
It’s pretty easy to acquire pictures , just google anything you want . Like one member suggested, have him quickly make a piece sign in front of it and end a pic. All the sudden he’ll have an excuse why his phones camera doesn’t work.

I’ve had many scammers try to buy my gear on kijiji it’s not funny . Always some tragic story about a death in the family and they cannot attend, but they will send a check , and when it clears you can send me the items.Problem is the check always bounces three weeks later ,and your on the hook for it

LG OLED65B7P.
Anthem AVM60 , Anthem MCA525 .
Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD player .
Paradigm Studio CC690 V5 centre channel , Studio 100 V5’s front and rear . Paradigm PW-2200 subwoofer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 69 Old 11-25-2018, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Very sorry to hear about the scam. Good constructive suggestions above that will help me.

But really what hasn't been said explicitly is FXXX that POS who makes his living stealing. Thieves used to be hanged and with good reason. Today the cowards dont even have to look u in the eye.

Screw the thieves you did very little wrong it is a game of percentages.
post #35 of 69 Old 11-25-2018, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 123
If someone just joined I’d be suspicious. I like when members have been here for a while and actually participated. Gives me a sense of who they are , and other members may be able to collaborate there authenticity .

Not always, but most of the scammers I found used the same broken English in there replies . Kind of a sign right there imo .
I laughed the other day . After one scammer I was concerned about the next guy who showed interest. We met at DairyQueen for the exchange , and it turns out he lived less than a block from my house lol . That was one of the better transactions

LG OLED65B7P.
Anthem AVM60 , Anthem MCA525 .
Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD player .
Paradigm Studio CC690 V5 centre channel , Studio 100 V5’s front and rear . Paradigm PW-2200 subwoofer
post #36 of 69 Old 11-25-2018, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 59
all my internet transactions always goes through paypal. If a seller cant accept it then the product is not worth it to me. I have never been burned in the years of buying and selling online.
its just not this website, its every one on the internet.
post #37 of 69 Old 11-25-2018, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2341 Post(s)
Liked: 3636
No offense to the OP but buying anything online with Western Union is not going to have a happy ending. Age old story that I would think everyone knows.

Bill

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (preamp), SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo UDP-205, UDP-203, BDP-105, BDP-103, BDP-93, BDP-83, Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #38 of 69 Old 11-26-2018, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 43
@Mike Lang - I think you should look at banning the IP address of Marienjir as well as his account. While OP acted unwisely, that doesn't take away the offender's predatory behavior.
lknhomeaudio likes this.
post #39 of 69 Old 11-26-2018, 10:14 AM
Administrator
Administrator

Mentioned: 463 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked: 1393
Quote:
Originally Posted by crcostel View Post
@Mike Lang - I think you should look at banning the IP address of Marienjir as well as his account. While OP acted unwisely, that doesn't take away the offender's predatory behavior.

That was done days ago. I still don't get how people keep falling for these obvious scams.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Always post about products, never post about other members.
Join the AVS Forum Club and help support the site.
AVS Forum is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with AV Science Inc.
post #40 of 69 Old 11-26-2018, 11:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lang View Post
That was done days ago. I still don't get how people keep falling for these obvious scams.
It might be worthwhile to provide the IP to the OP so they can attempt to track down the user. They could have been using a VPN or other means to mask their identity, but if not he could provide it to law enforcement, who can subpoena the ISP. Not sure we are talking about enough money to even be worth this, but may be worth a shot.
post #41 of 69 Old 11-26-2018, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked: 772
As has been mentioned, it is prudent to only do business with known forum members. Of course you can still get scammed by them too, but searching someone's posts will not only show you that he's "real," but also may give you some insight to the item it's self.

For instance, if someone is trying to sell an amp in "mint" condition, but has also recently started a thread in a subforum asking if anyone else's Power-by-Bueford amplifier pops and smells like an electrical fire....best stay clear.
e_honda likes this.

HT: KEF Reference 1 - Anthem AVM60 & MCA525 - Martin Logan Focus - DefTech XTR-20BP - Dual SVS SB16 Ultra
Office 2CH: KEF LS50 - Crown - Bluesound
Stage: Allen & Heath Dlive s5000 - Westone AMPRO 30 - AKG mics - Crown Amps
WAF is currently at DEFCON ORANGE
post #42 of 69 Old 11-26-2018, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 23
That sucks man. He ruins it for other guys that may be new to forums. I don't have a long history but I purchased an item on the classifieds within my first week in the forum with no issues. It's a shame you have to be on guard but never send money with western union. My transaction was with forum member boxker. Smooth transaction ☺️
post #43 of 69 Old 11-26-2018, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Western Union is a red flag....a certified check or check for more than the item is a red flag. No verifiable facebook account with pictures and entries over time is a red flag. Google their internet name....sometimes you'd be surprised at what you find. enter their name and see what the "find out about your friends" sites turn up. Get an address and do a reverse search on that address and phone the individual at that address....phone disconnected=red flag. assume that any number you see on callerID is fake....be busy...call them back....if they say no, they'll call you=red flag. enter their phone number on google....see what pops up.

If none of the above searches turns anything up...that's a red flag...everyone is on google for something.

Sorry you were scammed......next time, assume the person is a fraud and work to validate them as a real buyer. Sounds negative, but it's a far safer approach.
bmcn likes this.
post #44 of 69 Old 11-26-2018, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2525 Post(s)
Liked: 3431
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghstudio View Post
Western Union is a red flag...
101 material.
Osirus23 likes this.
post #45 of 69 Old 11-27-2018, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsjdflsdfsdf View Post
You should have asked him for the damping factor on the amp and waited for his reply.
That is very easy to find online. A better method is to take a pic of the amp with a code word that you supply (don’t do date) written on a piece of paper. That is much harder to fake, especially if it is a random word you supply.
post #46 of 69 Old 11-27-2018, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJLavelle View Post
That is very easy to find online. A better method is to take a pic of the amp with a code word that you supply (don’t do date) written on a piece of paper. That is much harder to fake, especially if it is a random word you supply.
I gotta sell my 50XT soon. whats the safest way?

pq65-f1, 3400h, Outlaw 5000, ML Edge L/R front, 50xt, ElectroMotion IW LR/RR, PC2000
post #47 of 69 Old 11-27-2018, 03:47 PM
NNG

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Hedges View Post
Meet up at a very public place for cash and carry transaction.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

NNG
post #48 of 69 Old 11-27-2018, 03:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 2053 Post(s)
Liked: 1687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Hedges View Post

PayPal, with a trusted member on this forum with extreme documentation and multiple “realness” checks with the buyer. Ask for references on this forum and make sure that those members are also trusted here.

The cash and carry in a public place is obviously the safest.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
post #49 of 69 Old 11-27-2018, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Quoted: 3616 Post(s)
Liked: 4426
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghstudio View Post
No verifiable facebook account with pictures and entries over time is a red flag.
Lack of social media account shouldn't be a red flag. I know its hard to believe at times, but some of us honest folks intentionally avoid social media.
post #50 of 69 Old 11-27-2018, 04:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 4378 Post(s)
Liked: 2540
I have used paypal alot and they have refunded me multiple of thousands of dollars when deals went bad. very hassle free if a buyer with paypal.

problem tho with paypal is if you the seller....make sure you document and prove everything you sell cause paypal sides with buyer more often.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300 LG oled c9 77
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS, Audioengine A2+
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP, Velodyne HGS 12, Velodyne VA1512
post #51 of 69 Old 11-27-2018, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
Lack of social media account shouldn't be a red flag. I know its hard to believe at times, but some of us honest folks intentionally avoid social media.

Agreed. Zero social media here but, long history of good transactions on multiple forums.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ed_in_tx and Molon_Labe like this.
post #52 of 69 Old 11-27-2018, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by torii View Post
I have used paypal alot and they have refunded me multiple of thousands of dollars when deals went bad. very hassle free if a buyer with paypal.

problem tho with paypal is if you the seller....make sure you document and prove everything you sell cause paypal sides with buyer more often.
THX all

pq65-f1, 3400h, Outlaw 5000, ML Edge L/R front, 50xt, ElectroMotion IW LR/RR, PC2000
post #53 of 69 Old 11-27-2018, 07:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorTendonitis View Post
It’s pretty easy to acquire pictures , just google anything you want . Like one member suggested, have him quickly make a piece sign in front of it and send a pic. All the sudden he’ll have an excuse why his phones camera doesn’t work.
That's a good idea, I'll use that instead of my usual request which is to take a specific picture, such as the left side of the item ONLY.

I've been contacted by various members here and on the Klipsch.com forums asking for references on certain sellers. If they have hundreds of posts I tend to think of them as being legit. I also won't trust someone with a gmail account and I do like using Paypal. At least there are some protections there. Fees yes, but that's what pays for the protection to the Buyer. A phone call to the Seller is also prudent.

I recently did an on-line trade with a guy for his expensive speaker for my much less expensive one. Since we didn't know each other I had him ship me an empty box. I put my speaker in it and shipped it to him. He put his speaker in the original box and sent it back to me. There was some risk to me but most scammers won't go out of their way to go to such trouble.
lknhomeaudio likes this.

Last edited by wvu80; 11-27-2018 at 07:50 PM.
post #54 of 69 Old 11-27-2018, 08:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by NNG View Post
Meet up at a very public place for cash and carry transaction.
Seattle PD (I believe all, though it could be just our precinct) let you use their reception area for Craigslist etc trades. Maybe other cities do too.
Cattledog and NNG like this.

Last edited by dlinsley; 11-27-2018 at 08:07 PM.
post #55 of 69 Old 11-27-2018, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlinsley View Post
Seattle PD (I believe all, though it could be just our precinct) let you use their reception area for Craigslist etc trades. Maybe other cities do too.
Most departments in the Chicago area do as well. CL robberies and armed robberies are rather common for electronics. It got so bad in the north suburbs that they set up a sting and nailed a few offenders.
post #56 of 69 Old 11-28-2018, 08:57 AM
Home Theater Enthusiast

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Quoted: 1714 Post(s)
Liked: 1264
I have a friend... that is selling really good stuff for cheap.... E-mail him at [email protected]

P.S. Western Union Payments only....

lknhomeaudio likes this.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Wisconsin Home Theater Enthusiasts Meet
SOWK Home Theater
post #57 of 69 Old 11-28-2018, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0106.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	2488584

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #58 of 69 Old 11-29-2018, 03:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1144 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Never got ripped off buying and selling telescopes for the last 40 years. Bought 1000's of parts and such and been lucky i guess. I guess with A/V you have to watch out more and that is one reason why i am only selling my OPPO203 for local pickup only cash. This way the buyer is safe and i am safe.
lknhomeaudio likes this.

Sony 65" A1E Pioneer Elite DV-59 AVI
OPPO203,103&83 Sony BD player
Pioneer Elite SC61 AVR Acurus 200x 3
Paradigm 60V5'S 490 CC V5
B&W 685 S2's 2 SVS subs
post #59 of 69 Old 11-29-2018, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvu80 View Post
That's a good idea, I'll use that instead of my usual request which is to take a specific picture, such as the left side of the item ONLY.
do an image search of the photos in the ad to make sure they are not swiped from somewhere else. then proceed with obtaining a working mobile number- a number you can call back. if an iphone - ask for facetime with video to see the product. if android - ask for skype. non- delivery of said details = scam. always. we all know the kind of people we want to deal with and we know that kind of folks will have zero problems with complying with those simple demands... and if they do have a problem they are either scamming or are not worth dealing with on the grand scheme of things.
rboster and NNG like this.

Last edited by partcrash; 11-30-2018 at 08:01 AM.
post #60 of 69 Old 11-29-2018, 11:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 179
ask for a photo with a local and recent (as in today) newspaper in the background as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Audio Gear

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page