post #31 of 49 Old 04-19-2019, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
Could not have been sent today. The account has been banned since we were notified, and the account hasn't been accessed since that day.
Dunno what forum software you use or what DB is behind it, but I could definitely help with some queries to catch accounts with scammer patterns before they get anyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 Old 04-21-2019, 10:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1268
This one may have had obvious red flags, but they don't always.

1. Forum member was going to buy speakers from me.

2. Was going to pay with PayPal. <-- ok so far

3. The buyer was a new forum member with maybe 1 post. This is always a cause for heightened security, but it's not always a red flag. My post may have simply surfaced in an internet search.

4. The PayPal name was of a Russian female. Okay, I shouldn't be one to judge, but you know, not a lot of those are perusing the AVS forums. Just saying. It's possible some lady was looking to surprise her husband with some Xmas speakers, but this combined with with the new member status earned this exchange a yellow flag. Never hurts to be too careful.

5. I always check out where I'm shipping to. I zoomed in with Google Maps on the shipping address: it's a business/warehouse. At this point I feel a little apprehensive. I notice there are a few reviews of the address: people saying they were either scammed after sending items there, or it was at least attempted. Red flag, game over. I am not comfortable shipping my speakers to some shady place after which someone may file a dispute with PayPal and lie that they never received the goods.

When I asked them for a personal address (to test how they respond), they vanished into the night.

Be careful out there.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Emotiva E2 (2) | Rythmik Audio F12 (2)

Last edited by Soulburner; 04-22-2019 at 08:41 AM.
post #33 of 49 Old 04-22-2019, 12:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked: 521
The only problem with that is a lot of people ship to their workplace. Between package thieves at home, having no one to sign for packages at home (and having to find some far off depot to pick it up), or even just having a box sitting on the front porch all day, it's generally recommended to ship to work.

There is no simple solution. Just a balance of risks. Granted in your case the risk was higher (doesn't paypal indicate if the address is confirmed anymore?) given the newness of the accounts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 49 Old 04-22-2019, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
The only problem with that is a lot of people ship to their workplace. Between package thieves at home, having no one to sign for packages at home (and having to find some far off depot to pick it up), or even just having a box sitting on the front porch all day, it's generally recommended to ship to work.

There is no simple solution. Just a balance of risks. Granted in your case the risk was higher (doesn't paypal indicate if the address is confirmed anymore?) given the newness of the accounts.
I forgot to mention the real kicker - people were leaving Google reviews on the address saying that they had been scammed or it was attempted. I'll edit my post.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Emotiva E2 (2) | Rythmik Audio F12 (2)
post #35 of 49 Old 04-23-2019, 12:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked: 521
Ok, that makes much more sense now - the shipping address has notes on fraud.

I have to admit I never thought to check that. And I guess if people refuse to ship to you, it would help to check your work address to see if it was used for fraud as well.
post #36 of 49 Old 05-13-2019, 09:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Classifieds Advice

Hi,

I posted a WTB listing for a subwoofer in the classifieds and received a PM with a lead on the sub I'm looking to purchase with a gmail address to contact. This member joined the forum today and has zero posts. Are there measures I can take to protect myself in ensuring a potential transaction is legitimate or would you say this is just too much of a red flag? Of course I do not want to offend anyone, especially if this is an honest, helpful person that frequents the forum and has just not previously had a reason to formally register. That said, I did see another member post a warning message in the classifieds recently about a transaction they had been burned on (buyer sent payment, "seller" cut off communication, buyer never received their item) so I want to be smart.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by screedle; 05-13-2019 at 01:13 PM.
post #37 of 49 Old 05-13-2019, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by screedle View Post
Hi,

I realize this is the subwoofer forum but I had posted a WTB listing for a subwoofer in the classifieds and received a PM with a lead on the sub I'm looking to purchase with a gmail address to contact. This member joined the forum today and has zero posts. Are there measures I can take to protect myself in ensuring a potential transaction is legitimate or would you say this is just too much of a red flag? Of course I do not want to offend anyone, especially if this is an honest, helpful person that frequents the forum and has just not previously had a reason to formally register. That said, I did see another member post a warning message in the classifieds recently about a transaction they had been burned on (buyer sent payment, "seller" cut off communication, buyer never received their item) so I want to be smart.

Thanks
I would run from this. Next they will be selling it for buddy and asking for payment through western union or some other way without protection.

Phish them a little bit and act interested, Id be willing to bet I’m right. I’ve seen this on here many times.
screedle and Lp85253 like this.
post #38 of 49 Old 05-13-2019, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked: 1078
Quote:
Hi,

I realize this is the subwoofer forum but I had posted a WTB listing for a subwoofer in the classifieds and received a PM with a lead on the sub I'm looking to purchase with a gmail address to contact. This member joined the forum today and has zero posts. Are there measures I can take to protect myself in ensuring a potential transaction is legitimate or would you say this is just too much of a red flag? Of course I do not want to offend anyone, especially if this is an honest, helpful person that frequents the forum and has just not previously had a reason to formally register. That said, I did see another member post a warning message in the classifieds recently about a transaction they had been burned on (buyer sent payment, "seller" cut off communication, buyer never received their item) so I want to be smart.

Thanks

You are wise to be wary. avoid and disregard whoever it is. Deal only with those who have a regular presence on this site. in my opinion of course.
screedle and Lp85253 like this.
post #39 of 49 Old 05-13-2019, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 1241 Post(s)
Liked: 2052
Moved. If you ever have doubts, use the report pm function, and staff will look into it. More than likely, it has already been dealt with. Follow these guidelines

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-a...uncements.html

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #40 of 49 Old 05-13-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc79 View Post
I would run from this. Next they will be selling it for buddy and asking for payment through western union or some other way without protection.

Phish them a little bit and act interested, Id be willing to bet I’m right. I’ve seen this on here many times.
Thanks for the reply, what do you mean by phish them? Forgot to mention, they have also disabled receiving PMs, so I am not able to message them back, the gmail address would be the only option.

Last edited by screedle; 05-13-2019 at 09:28 AM.
post #41 of 49 Old 05-13-2019, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, what do you mean by phish them?
Pretend like your going along with their game and act interested. I’ll bet it plays out exactly as I described.
tinman143 likes this.
post #42 of 49 Old 05-13-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
Moved. If you ever have doubts, use the report pm function, and staff will look into it. More than likely, it has already been dealt with. Follow these guidelines

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-a...uncements.html
Thanks - can you point me toward the "report PM" function? Having trouble locating it.
post #43 of 49 Old 05-13-2019, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 1241 Post(s)
Liked: 2052
Triangle in the upper right hand corner of the message.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #44 of 49 Old 05-13-2019, 09:39 AM
Rise & Grind

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks

IMO trust your gut on something like that. Based on my experience someone contacting on behalf of someone does indeed have giant red flags! I think, in short order, you’ll find a opportunity that won’t feel so suspect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Trinnov Altitude 16, Magico A3, Magico ACC, Magico A1s, Dual Rythmik FV25HP
Amps- ATI AT523NC, AT524NC, AT528NC
Kaleidescape Terra Server/Strato, Oppo UDP-203, Apple TV4k, XFinity X1
Sony VPL-VW5000, 136" 2.35:1 Stewart Studiotek 100 screen, Lumagen Pro 4242
post #45 of 49 Old 05-13-2019, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks for the headsup... Just received a message he had good offer on Emotiva XPA5... Thank you

Current System: LG 65OLEDC7P / Samsung 55HU8550
Speakers: Emotiva T1,C1 And E1 Subwoofer:SVS SB13 Ultra
Receiver: Integra DRX-4 Amplifier: ATI 1505

Started with Bose 3-2-1 and slowly upgrading...
post #46 of 49 Old 05-14-2019, 02:45 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc79 View Post

If you use PayPal goods and services they won't get their money until about a month. If they rip you off you tell PayPal and they give you your money back after a couple weeks. It's happened to me a couple times and I always got money back. Also ask for a pic with their screenname on a piece of paper and don't be afraid to tell them you are sceptacle.
post #47 of 49 Old 05-14-2019, 04:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketofani View Post
If you use PayPal goods and services they won't get their money until about a month. If they rip you off you tell PayPal and they give you your money back after a couple weeks. It's happened to me a couple times and I always got money back. Also ask for a pic with their screenname on a piece of paper and don't be afraid to tell them you are sceptacle.
Yes, but these scammers don’t want nor ask for PayPal as a method of payment for that very reason. As I mentioned, they will ask for a method that offers zero buyer protection and won’t accept anything else.

Just use common sense when dealing with people online. Simple as that.
rboster likes this.
post #48 of 49 Old 06-29-2019, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 6
"Greg Truen"

0 posts, joined in May of 2019...Messaged me telling me to text someone about a subwoofer they have for sale.

Not saying he is a scammer, I am just always skeptical about messages like that.
Cinepro likes this.
post #49 of 49 Old 07-04-2019, 04:47 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
i always ask for a specific picture so that i know they actually have the item. a picture with a dollar bill in front of it for example, or could be anything else just so i know it is not a generic stock photo or one from an ebay auction, etc.

Carada 110" Screen / BenQ W6000 projector / Onkyo PR-RZ5100 Preamp/Processor
KEF Reference 4 Fronts / KEF R200C Center - Powered by Parasound A31 / KEF Reference 105/3 Rears - Powered by Outlaw 7000x and 5000
SVS PB16 Ultra Subwoofer / PSB Subsonic 6i Subwoofer
Denon 1920 SACD/DVD-A / Yamaha BDS-681 SACD/DVA-A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Gear

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page