Forum Jump: 
 141Likes

post #121 of 192 Old 05-14-2020, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1433 Post(s)
Liked: 2511
We have asked over and over to report the pm's so we can look into it.
smurraybhm likes this.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 192 Old 05-14-2020, 02:10 PM
Administrator
Administrator

Mentioned: 486 Post(s)
Quoted: 1794 Post(s)
Liked: 1471
Yes, please click on the report button for the PM, don't just post here. Some of you are mis-typing the usernames. Click that report icon.

Thanks

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Always post about products, never post about other members.
Join the AVS Forum Club and help support the site.
AVS Forum is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with AV Science Inc.
post #123 of 192 Old 05-16-2020, 11:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lang View Post
Yes, please click on the report button for the PM, don't just post here. Some of you are mis-typing the usernames. Click that report icon.

Thanks
Hi Mike,
Unfortunately i did not see the thread until it was too late. I am a new member and embarrassingly fell victim to fraud after posting a WTB message on this classified page. I have never purchased used equipment before, but was in need of a discontinued item. I posted a WTB message and was contacted via PM and referred to a person who was looking to sell the requested equipment. The thief claimed to be selling exactly was i was looking for and provided pictures as verification. Everything appeared to be legit. But little did i know as a naive cyber shopper that i was on the hook. I transferred money via Zelle and was told the item would be shipped. Needless to say it was not. I attempted to make a request to Zelle to the recipient for a "refund" but the account had been unregistered with Zelle. I am 52 years old and feel like i can spot something fishy. However, this got me. I was muli-tasking while going through the "purchase" and my guard was down. I now feel stupid, embarrassed and naive. None of this feels good. What can i do to help ensure this doesn't happen to other innocent people looking to transact via this website?

I currently have 2 PMs in my inbox indicating that they have what i am looking to buy. I do not see a "report PM" button when i am viewing the PM. Can you assist so that i can report these criminals?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 192 Old 05-16-2020, 11:17 AM
Administrator
Administrator

When viewing a PM from your full inbox (not the conversation view) there is a report PM icon at the top right...

And again, never, ever, ever pay someone using an unprotected method. It's the first glaring sign you're about to lose your money.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	849
Size:	5.4 KB
ID:	2727206  
Dave Vaughn likes this.

post #125 of 192 Old 05-16-2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
When viewing a PM from your full inbox (not the conversation view) there is a report PM icon at the top right...

And again, never, ever, ever pay someone using an unprotected method. It's the first glaring sign you're about to lose your money.
Mike,
Are you aware of a thread that educates members on the steps to be taken in order to complete a safe transaction for both the seller and the buyer?

It is easy to Monday morning quarterback a situation and say to never ever do something. However, there is clearly a problem on this website and taking action as a forum to combat the problem would go a long way to promoting legitimate transactions on this site. I am happy to go post my experience to hopefully prevent this from occurring in the future.

In the meantime, i will frequent this thread to ensure it is front and center on the current page of this classified section. In addition, I have reported the PMs in question per your guidance.

Thank you for your support.
post #126 of 192 Old 05-16-2020, 11:58 AM
Administrator
Administrator

There’s an announcement pinned to the top of every classified section.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/210-v...uncements.html

post #127 of 192 Old 05-16-2020, 12:06 PM

Quote:
There’s an announcement pinned to the top of every classified section.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/210-v...uncements.html
Thank you! I will educate myself on what qualifies as a protect payment method. I transact using Zelle and Venmo frequently with people i know and trust. I have used PayPal as well. This was the first time i have sent money to someone that i did not know for something that i could not see or touch. Dang! This sucks.
post #128 of 192 Old 05-16-2020, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 135
I’m sure it’s probably staring me right in the eye, but I can’t seem to find that report PM icon.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	970D1F4C-717B-4BB2-9CBF-518E1CB4FD5B.jpeg
Views:	126
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	2727342  
post #129 of 192 Old 05-16-2020, 03:10 PM
Administrator
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by edoggrc51 View Post
I’m sure it’s probably staring me right in the eye, but I can’t seem to find that report PM icon.
You have to open it from your full inbox.
ipca204 likes this.

post #130 of 192 Old 05-26-2020, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thx for information. Fraud makes it difficult for new members (like me) trying to buy on classified forum...
post #131 of 192 Old 05-30-2020, 04:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Most ppl are responding here it seems as tho they all joined AVS in May..... that 's very suspicious

HT: JVC RS2000, S Studio Tek 130 1.3 Gain screen, , Panasonic UB820. Denon X6500. Def Tech X9080 series . BR: OnkyoTX696 , LG OLED 65 8 series , Def tech 9020 5.2 .
post #132 of 192 Old 05-30-2020, 04:29 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerdude View Post
Most ppl are responding here it seems as tho they all joined AVS in May..... that 's very suspicious
Hi, I subscribed to this thread and I didn't join in May. Though I am saying this, it doesn't make your statement any less legitimate. I find that IS very suspicious that most people responding have all joined in May....

Do it all or don't do it at all.

Dynaudio Contour 20, REL T/5i's, Bluesound Node 2i, Anthem MCA 225, Musical Fidelity M2si, Wireworld and Analysis Plus cables
post #133 of 192 Old 05-30-2020, 05:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodog View Post
Hi, I subscribed to this thread and I didn't join in May. Though I am saying this, it doesn't make your statement any less legitimate. I find that IS very suspicious that most people responding have all joined in May....

I find it suspicious that you think people joined in May are suspicious...
I have had at least THREE very nice people that joined in May that have a friend that has exactly what I am looking for and an unreal price! They even gave me their email to get a hold of them!
One of them is currently out of town because he is in the military but will ship when he gets back, and the other is on some missionary work!
Dave Vaughn and dlinsley like this.
post #134 of 192 Old 05-30-2020, 06:26 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipca204 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodog View Post

I find it suspicious that you think people joined in May are suspicious... [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG]
I have had at least THREE very nice people that joined in May that have a friend that has exactly what I am looking for and an unreal price! They even gave me their email to get a hold of them!
One of them is currently out of town because he is in the military but will ship when he gets back, and the other is on some missionary work!

.... right!!!!! Well sure hope the one man army and the disciple actually stays a decent human being and follows through with their word and the sale.

Sketch af that you would reply before 6am on a Sunday morning. Let alone set some “examples” that are in the works with abnormally high optimism and assurance that everything will go without fault or scams.

In all honesty i could care less if you think what I said was sketch. The reason is, I said that in hopes “someone,” such as yourself, would oh do conveniently reply to my oblivious reply and restatement of something that is purely bias and open to opinion, that from what I just casually checked right now, doesn’t seem to be the case (meaning, I don’t see many people who joined in May 2020, let alone the year 2020 in general, except for YOU).

I was hoping my childish tactic would have someone bite and let alone it did. Hello person who thinks I’m suspicious and is thinking I’m thinking they themselves are suspicious... let alone I intentionally did something out of the blue/suspicious (I guess if that’s what you want to call it), only to confirm my suspicions on a newly registered member, actively checking up on this thread like it’s the newest hot ticket for sale item or something so important that it’s worth actively responding to, even at 6am on a Sunday morning.

If I was the administrator (mike lang is), I would seriously monitor your account and do any and all possible actions at my disposal to make sure you are legitimate and honest, not a careful disguised lying scammer that, in my opinion, I could totally see being true.

If you’re wondering, thinking, oh hey well if you think I’m sketch for replying at 6am on a Sunday, why wouldn’t you be sketch too?

Well, I wouldn’t be because I have in fact sold many high priced items ($2000-5000 per item) with fellow members here and each and every sale and member can vouch for me and I am sure they would if they saw this thread with this post. Also, because I am calling you out on it first. So before you try and do the “well youre sketch too” strategy, save it.

Selling and buying on this forum, without having to pay fees to avs forum, is a godsend in my opinion. Every single buyer that has purchased from me, many of whom I sold in person to; each and every single one of them were stand up, quality individuals who were honest, decent, and trustworthy fellows who had minimum self standards to meet. The quality of the individuals who buy on here in the member classifieds section are the cream of the crop, who many times blindly but faithfully trust another audiophile avs member and expect them to follow through and expect them to say what is true and everything said is truth. I will not, if I have the opportunity or see an opportunity to potentially make a difference, will not let shady people take advantage of the good people that are on this forum. Not on my watch. So please, if you are not one of these people then by all means don’t get defensive and instead embrace my general mindset and outlook on this matter that has and is threatening the existence of this legitimate experience and environment.

TLDR: please don’t rip someone off here on avs forum and ruin it for the rest of us. I heard a police officer managed to do something of this nature and I heard he ruined it for the rest of the police officers all across America. Don’t ruin the members classifieds section and privilege by making a quick hundred dollars by lying to an innocent, good man. If you do, you are no better than that police officer I heard about who got charged with 3rd degree murder. That’s my opinion. I respect your opinion too, even if it’s wrong (thinking I’m suspicious). I can care less. Why? Because I stated what I just said and that’s all I need to say. And because hey if you’re not a shady lying person who’s trying to scam innocent buyers on here, then this message should go right over your head where it should be going for 99.8% of you. 0.1% goes to the forum administration and 0.1% goes to the actual scammers themselves.

You already are red flagged for being the latter 0.1%. Even if you don’t respond to this, you are in my book suspicious as they come. But hey what do I know, im just someone who can’t sleep. 😃

Do it all or don't do it at all.

Dynaudio Contour 20, REL T/5i's, Bluesound Node 2i, Anthem MCA 225, Musical Fidelity M2si, Wireworld and Analysis Plus cables
post #135 of 192 Old 05-30-2020, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 208
I found it suspicious that this morning the first 5-6 ads were WTB ads mostly by peeps that joined in May wt...
post #136 of 192 Old 05-30-2020, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbpete View Post
I found it suspicious that this morning the first 5-6 ads were WTB ads mostly by peeps that joined in May wt...
I find ALL people from North Cackalacky suspicious! :-)
also all people that pronounce IL as Illanoise... :-)
post #137 of 192 Old 05-30-2020, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipca204 View Post
I find ALL people from North Cackalacky suspicious! :-)
also all people that pronounce IL as Illanoise... :-)

Hey, I resemble that remark!!!!

I find it suspicious when people find things suspicious.
spyboy, wpbpete and bmcn like this.
post #138 of 192 Old 05-30-2020, 07:46 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Dangit! Now I am suspicious of myself for reading this post.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Yamaha CX-A5200, Yamaha MX-A5000, Sanway DSP-6KQ, XBox One X, Panasonic DMP-UB900, NVIDIA Shield, D-Link 16-Port Gigabit Switch, Caavo, Control Center, 2 x JBL Studio 590 Mains, 1 x JBL Studio 520C Center, 2 x JBL 580's side surrounds, 2 x JBL 530's rear surrounds, 4 x RSL C34E's ATMOS, 4 x Chane SBE-118's
post #139 of 192 Old 05-31-2020, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I posted a WTB ad a couple days ago and sure enough got a PM from a newbie, bben25118, telling me to call a friend who could hook me up, just like the many reported scammers in this thread. I've submitted a report.

Main system (7.2): Krell Foundation 4K, Bryston 4BSST2 & 9BST, Oppo UDP-203, Magneplanar 1.7i (mains), Martin Logan Motion 30 (center), Definitive Tech ProMonitor 1000 (side), Klipsch R-14S (rear), HSU ULS-15-MK2 (dual subs), AC Infinity T8 & S8 fans, Bryston BIT15 power conditioner. LG OLED65B7A. Martin Logan Motion Vision soundbar. Home Office: Cambridge CXA80, Yamaha WXA-50 & Bryston BDP-Pi streamers, KEF LS50 speakers
post #140 of 192 Old 05-31-2020, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the heads up on fraud and scamming here, since I'm looking to buy, I really appreciate it.

Also, not everyone who joins in May is a fraudster, we may have just been lurking for a long time and finally needed to post.
ipca204 and Tech Neeq like this.
post #141 of 192 Old 06-01-2020, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperYourMother View Post
Thanks for the heads up on fraud and scamming here, since I'm looking to buy, I really appreciate it.

Also, not everyone who joins in May is a fraudster, we may have just been lurking for a long time and finally needed to post.
Agree. Thank you for the sticky. I, too, am not a fraudster despite creating a new account in May.
post #142 of 192 Old 06-01-2020, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperYourMother View Post

I find it suspicious that you joined in May and claim to NOT be a fraudster! That's totally something a fraudster would post! :-)
Tech Neeq likes this.
post #143 of 192 Old 06-01-2020, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdfay View Post
I posted a WTB ad a couple days ago and sure enough got a PM from a newbie, bben25118, telling me to call a friend who could hook me up, just like the many reported scammers in this thread. I've submitted a report.
That seems to the modus operandi of all these scammers in the classifieds section. They seem to be doing it for WTB ads. They always seem to ask you to email/ contact his scammer friend who seems to have the exact speaker with the color at hand. I usually respond saying that his friend can contact me, after which I don't hear back from them. After shooting off that reply that person gets reported to the moderator. However reporting to the moderator doesn't seem very efficient , as they end up opening a new account once their current account is blocked.

Hence if some one responds to your WTB ad by asking you to contact their friend, first look at their post count and when that account was opened. If they manage to convince you to buy the speaker from them, tell them that you'll only make the payment thru PayPal ( not payment to friend ) which offers buyer protection. Usually at this point they'll back off
scottdfay and N0LA like this.

Last edited by nikhilnh; 06-13-2020 at 09:15 AM.
post #144 of 192 Old 06-12-2020, 07:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 2596 Post(s)
Liked: 2645
just got this from a person with 0 posts...

Today 09:03 PMsmithtedd090
Try contact calvin am certain he as an offer to make [email protected]

Sent from my TECNO LB8a using Tapatalk

Receiver : Pioneer Elite SC-95
Front Speakers: 3 DIYSG 1099's
Surround Speakers:2 DIYSG Volt 10's Atmos: 4 DIYSG Volt 6's
Subwoofers: Dual Eminence NSW 21's in Cyclops enclosures w/Inuke 6000
Nearfield: 4 B-52 SP-1804 18s w/Inuke 6000DSP
post #145 of 192 Old 06-12-2020, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1433 Post(s)
Liked: 2511
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadsmith013 View Post
just got this from a person with 0 posts...

Today 09:03 PMsmithtedd090
Try contact calvin am certain he as an offer to make [email protected]

Sent from my TECNO LB8a using Tapatalk
We already got it. Use the report pm function in case we miss them.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #146 of 192 Old 06-13-2020, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I received a PM yesterday that I'm sure is fraudulent.

I asked a shipping question in a for sale post for a set of speakers. I got a PM shortly after that from a "member" with 0 history on the site. They wanted to establish an email conversation. This immediately set off alarm bells for me because this is a common modus operandi I've seen with Craigslist scammers.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	avs scam.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	345.3 KB
ID:	2741842  
post #147 of 192 Old 06-13-2020, 06:53 PM
Administrator
Administrator

Please be sure to use the report button on these as soon as you see them.

Thanks

post #148 of 192 Old 06-14-2020, 05:15 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 18
We have been seeing scammers trying to scam ppl when they post a WTB ad. Please be aware to exercise caution while paying for For Sale ad as well. Always when making a payment use a payment method that offers buyer protection such as Paypal Payments for "Goods and Services " and not "Paypal Friends and Family" or any other service that does not offer buyer protection, unless you know the seller . Of course it always helps if the seller has sold stuff here on the AVS and can provide references.

Last edited by nikhilnh; 06-15-2020 at 04:13 AM.
post #149 of 192 Old 06-14-2020, 06:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 2596 Post(s)
Liked: 2645
Quote:

Thanks
unless im just blind..im not seeing the report icon????

Receiver : Pioneer Elite SC-95
Front Speakers: 3 DIYSG 1099's
Surround Speakers:2 DIYSG Volt 10's Atmos: 4 DIYSG Volt 6's
Subwoofers: Dual Eminence NSW 21's in Cyclops enclosures w/Inuke 6000
Nearfield: 4 B-52 SP-1804 18s w/Inuke 6000DSP
post #150 of 192 Old 06-14-2020, 06:08 AM
Administrator
Administrator

Be sure you’re in your full inbox view and not the conversation shortcut.
chadsmith013 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Gear

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page