• 4 Post By Mike Lang
  • 1 Post By Bill Mac

post #1 of 28 Old 04-15-2019, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Fraud Alert

I posted in the WTB section about wanted a Denon AVR X6200W. I'm going to lay out the story, but it sounds exactly like one I found on here a year ago. Just wanted to share just in case it helps someone.

I guy posted a receiver for sale. I responded to his post and sent him a PM.

I got a PM from a member unrelated to the original thread saying he has a line on one, his friend in Texas has one available, possibly the X6200W & an X7200W. He asked for my email address so he could email me. His email address is: [email protected]. The name on his email was Robbie Wright. Here's the original message from member "D_fors":

'D_fors
I have a lead on a Denon AVR-X6200W you are looking for. Email Robbie in Texas. He has them for sale.

Email is [email protected]"

I said yes and sent him my email address via PM

I got an email from a guy saying he has the X6200W available for a great price. He was referred to me by his buddy with the [email protected] email address. The name said "Howard" but the email address didn't have the "D" in Howard so was a little suspiciious. I asked for pictures and he sent me rather generic looking pictures, but I wasn't too concerned at that point. No details but it was the correct unit. I asked him to call me so I can ask some specific questions. I didn't get a phone call but I got several text messages. I called the number and never got a response, it was a Google phone number. Might as well have been one of those untraceable throw away phones from the late 90's and early 200's.

I said I liked it and how much for it. He said $645 shipped and that he wanted payment via Walmart. That was a HUGE red flag!!

I actually thought I found a another one so I was out of contact for a few days.

Got another email from [email protected] and a couple texts from 304-278-0543 asking if I was still interested or if I wanted the nicer X7200W instead.

I said I'm interested in the X6200W and asked him to call me so we could discuss some specifics.

He sent me an email with new and revised payment instructions, see below:

"Carlos

Below is the secretary bank information needed to make payment.

Bank Name : Wells Fargo
Bank address: 3020 Champion Dr, Barboursville, West Virginia 25504
Account Name : Rosita Davis
Account # : 7062508390
Amount to send: $645(price shipped)
Holders Address: P.O Box 815 Coal City, WV 25823

Please include a copy of Bank receipt once payment is transferred. I'll ship once we get a hold of the payment.

Thanks,
Howard"

I told the guy "Howard" that I would only pay via Paypal. He called me and he definitely didn't sound like Howard. He wasn't Nigerian/African, he was from a different part of the scumverse. I hung up the phone. That number again was/is (304) 278-0543.
At this point I laughed and felt bad that someone would think I was that stupid. I then looked up the original member who PM'd me (D_fors) and realized he had no post anywhere and had just joined the forum. So some guy "D_fors" thinks I'm that stupid. he can PM me about his imaginary friend who send me some stock photos, probably taken from the auction site, about a receiver. His friend wants me to pay him through Walmart, then changes his mind and wants me to pay him by depositing money directly into a bank account, with a woman's name who doesn't have the same last name, and the address given is a USPS PO Box.

All I can say is I'm thankful for SO MANY red flags! Hope this helps if somebody tries to scam you guys. PM me if anybody wants screenshots of the emails.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 04-15-2019, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Looks like she posted while you were typing. Has an Emotiva amp for sale now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cytocycle likes this.
post #3 of 28 Old 04-15-2019, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Robbie in Texas tried scamming me, too. I can absolutely confirm this.
eBalita, Cytocycle and Lp85253 like this.

Lumenlab "Community driven video lab".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 04-15-2019, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked: 2212
Good reminder guys. If it doesn’t smell right, run.
barfle and Lp85253 like this.
post #5 of 28 Old 04-15-2019, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 1508 Post(s)
Liked: 1552
A "Robbie" also got with the girl from teen Mom days before her wedding. Beware.
post #6 of 28 Old 04-15-2019, 03:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I’ve gotten the same from this pos.
post #7 of 28 Old 04-15-2019, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 472
This is one I forwarded to @Mike Lang a while ago when I had posted in WTB:

---
Hello Buddy, Email Collina in Indiana. He has a PSB Imagine Minis for sale. Here's his email [email protected]
---

He confirmed it was a scammer who had PMed other people, and (I assume) banned their account. Seems to be an ongoing problem here, make sure to report these people if you get a PM from them.
post #8 of 28 Old 04-15-2019, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Same thing happened to me from the same guy. I lost $300

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #9 of 28 Old 04-15-2019, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 456
Golden rule of thumb, only do business with established members. If someone here tells you to email someone else, just go about your business. If someone wants a bank transfer, DEFINITELY just ignore and go back about your business.
rboster and Lp85253 like this.
post #10 of 28 Old 04-15-2019, 04:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Fraud Alert

Had the exact same thing happen to me a month ago. He had me going until he asked me to send the payment through Western Union. I asked him if he was joking... No Way. So buyers beware.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #11 of 28 Old 04-15-2019, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked: 2094
Thanks OP for sharing your story.

Just like the prince asking for money or you won the lottery but we need a fee paid to release the funds these scams have been going on for years on most forums that offer classifieds.

This sticky is a good reminder

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-a...uncements.html
post #12 of 28 Old 04-15-2019, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Would it be helpful to have a "Fraud Alert" sticky thread somewhere on the forum??
post #13 of 28 Old 04-16-2019, 07:01 AM

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked: 2094
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosinseattle View Post
Would it be helpful to have a "Fraud Alert" sticky thread somewhere on the forum??
Define what you mean by Fraud alert sticky? Once it's defined, please contact Mike Lang, AVS Admin for all operational suggestions or post in the operations forum.
post #14 of 28 Old 04-16-2019, 07:52 AM

Liked: 1
Same thing happened to me also - the scammers saw I posted on a classified for sale post and private messaged me. When he mentioned Western Union, I knew for sure it was a scam.
post #15 of 28 Old 04-16-2019, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post
Thanks OP for sharing your story.

Just like the prince asking for money or you won the lottery but we need a fee paid to release the funds these scams have been going on for years on most forums that offer classifieds.

This sticky is a good reminder

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-a...uncements.html
Nigerian princes have the best amps for sale tho!
tinman143 and pnhayden like this.
post #16 of 28 Old 04-16-2019, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post
Define what you mean by Fraud alert sticky? Once it's defined, please contact Mike Lang, AVS Admin for all operational suggestions or post in the operations forum.
I was thinking about a thread at the top of the Classifieds section where people can post their stories about fraudulent behavior. The reason I shared the steps along the way is because the names/handles/email addresses can change but the same person(s) might use the same mode of operation. And since he tried to scam me by giving me a bank account number I thought it was appropriate to share that account number too.

I'm new to this forum so there might already be a seller rating system in place like there used to be on Hobbytalk.
post #17 of 28 Old 04-16-2019, 08:51 AM
Administrator
Administrator

Mentioned: 298 Post(s)
Quoted: 1478 Post(s)
Liked: 1110
There's really no "alert" needed. All anyone needs to do is deal with established accounts and protected payment methods as we've been preaching for years.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Always post about products, never post about other members.
Join the AVS Forum Club and help support the site.
AVS Forum is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with AV Science Inc.
post #18 of 28 Old 04-16-2019, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2165 Post(s)
Liked: 3125
Having people post their experiences with being scammed or people trying to scam them is always educational. I just don't understand how people still fall for these scams when they send people direct payment without any form of protection. "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't" should apply but people still fall for these scams. An Oppo 205 for $1000 but you need to send payment via Western Union. Yeah I'm heading right out to my local Western Union office .

Bill

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (preamp), SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo UDP-205 x 2, UDP-203, BDP-105, BDP-103, BDP-83, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #19 of 28 Old 04-16-2019, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Had this same guy try to scam me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #20 of 28 Old 04-17-2019, 12:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 764 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
Having people post their experiences with being scammed or people trying to scam them is always educational. I just don't understand how people still fall for these scams when they send people direct payment without any form of protection. "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't" should apply but people still fall for these scams. An Oppo 205 for $1000 but you need to send payment via Western Union. Yeah I'm heading right out to my local Western Union office .

Bill
People are greedy. In cases like this, the $$$$ fills their eyes and shuts down logical reasoning. It helps that these people make the buyer feel special because they're getting such a deal.

There's a thread in the AV Receiver section about a scummy company - you know the kind. They are legitimate operations, and everything they do is legal, but they make their money scamming people. Basically they work by offering some tv or such for a good discount (well beyond what you get from authorized dealers) and when you order it, they call you saying it's out of stock, but they'll sell you a "similar" model in stock. The issue is they will never get what you order, and the alternative will always be overpriced (which is how they make their money) than if you went to the authorized store, or it's an older model, or other thing. And even while the discussion goes on, people are still asking for opinions because they see something for a great price. Like they're not even reading the posts.

People don't realize that screaming deals really no longer exist - the internet has ensured that pricing information is available to everyone easily and items that were one limited to neighbourhoods are now available globally. Thus sales end up being available to everyone, and no one does heavy discounting (at least without the manufacturer authorizing such a discount).
post #21 of 28 Old 04-17-2019, 01:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked: 329
This thread should be pinned and regularly updated to reveal scammers.

Lumenlab "Community driven video lab".
post #22 of 28 Old 04-17-2019, 03:59 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake18 View Post
This thread should be pinned and regularly updated to reveal scammers.
Agreed, instead of having a duplicate thread every few months cluttering up the forum sale section. I personally think its fairly common sense on how to do business on forums, and those that need help can read a sticky.
post #23 of 28 Old 04-17-2019, 04:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 135
While I do agree that a stickied thread would be beneficial to call out bad sellers/buyers, we must also remember to do our due diligence when it comes to buying from strangers. Perhaps a link to common fraud schemes in the sticky would help folks who aren't used to buying online .
post #24 of 28 Old 04-17-2019, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 103
I always do due-diligence when buying/selling on forums, especially since we are individuals behind a forum name - with no faces. Here are somethings that I look for:
  1. Number of posts and joining date - this tells a lot about the member, recently created account, less than ten posts with all in Classifieds section are orange flags.
  2. Google for the member forum name (or if you happen to know his/her real name in any PM/email exchange) and see if any scam threads pop up, if you know the email, search the email - many scammers are dumb and will re-use their forum names and emails. Red flag.
  3. Any sale threads that re-direct to multiple people "got a lead on...", "contact so-and-so...", etc. are red flags.
  4. If a member asks payment via Walmart, Western Union, or any such untraceable mediums - BIG RED FLAG. RUN and REPORT THAT MEMBER TO FORUM MODERATORS.

Remember, if the deal is too good to be true, it probably is!
post #25 of 28 Old 04-17-2019, 02:48 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2165 Post(s)
Liked: 3125
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmidgitd View Post
While I do agree that a stickied thread would be beneficial to call out bad sellers/buyers, we must also remember to do our due diligence when it comes to buying from strangers. Perhaps a link to common fraud schemes in the sticky would help folks who aren't used to buying online .
I'm sure there are countless types of fraud schemes. But the one common part of almost all scams is the seller asking for a form of payment that's essentially a cash transfer. Whether it's wiring money via Western Union or sending a money order one just has to use common sense. No need to go any further then that IMO. If a seller is not willing to accept payment via Paypal or any payment form that protects the buyer from fraud it's a big huge red flag. If people can't figure that out and they get scammed shame on them!

Bill
smurraybhm likes this.

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (preamp), SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo UDP-205 x 2, UDP-203, BDP-105, BDP-103, BDP-83, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #26 of 28 Old Yesterday, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got a message from D_Fors. Thanks for the heads up!

Last edited by lewdogg; Yesterday at 09:21 AM.
post #27 of 28 Old Yesterday, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 1198 Post(s)
Liked: 1980
Could not have been sent today. The account has been banned since we were notified, and the account hasn't been accessed since that day.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #28 of 28 Old Yesterday, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
Could not have been sent today. The account has been banned since we were notified, and the account hasn't been accessed since that day.

Thanks. I didn't check the date of the message.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Gear

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page