AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1209 Post(s)
Liked: 3320
FS: ARCAM A29 IA - As New!

$700

So...here's my story:

When I bought this amp new (from authorized dealer); I bought it, in combination...with an irDAC-II, for use in a 2nd system.

It kinda sat...BNIB, while that came together; and then didn't come together. At the same time...is when I started on the path, of down-grading. Less hi-end seps, in the Main room; no 2nd systems (beyond easy-listening Sonos), etc.

I sold the DAC...but since I was trying out IAs; I finally pulled the A29, out of its box. I think, at the time...I drove both Revel M106s, and also...some Dyn EMIT M10s I was thinking about, moving "down" to. It sounded nice on both; but really paired well, with the Revels. They had this nice, mid-bass hump...that the A29 seem to warm to!

I kept that system...and the A29 in it; for very few hours. Only because, I had gotten the fever...except in the opposite direction, lol. Go smaller; go simpler. That meant, the M106s went...and I tried some active Dyns (X14A). Yes...that was simpler; but it didn't sound nearly as good...though I suspected, it had more to do with the pre-amp I was using to drive them (NAD C658). I decided...I wanted to try and make the X14As work; and play with pre-amps to drive them.

So, I sold the A29. The buyer...because he used it, far more than I had; discovered a very minor issue. Something about the volume control...when you first fire it up; likely related, to the class-G circuitry. I offered to have it repaired, under warranty for him; but he decided, he was going to try an SA-20 instead (by the way...he later told me, he preferred the build of the A29; that the SA-20, was "kinda cheap" looking/feeling).

So...I took it back; sent it to Arcam, and had it repaired. In the meantime...I was still playing around, with my pre-amp/active set-up; and if I was going to sell it again...I didn't want to bother, with the un-packing and re-packing. I was tempted. It's a great, little unit.

Built solid; it is, FMJ after all...back when that meant something. And I'd had an older Arcam before (yes...I went through a LOT of gear, lol; my Audiogon feedback, bears that out); and it was characteristically...British Dark. But this, was not your Father's Arcam. The Class-G was punchy, and dynamic; still warm...but not muddy or murky, in any way.

But...there it's sat; "new", from the factory refresh at Arcam...for a while now (just couldn't completely bring myself, to part with it). But...I've found my pre-amp/active combo; and it needs a good home. Should be ready, to drop off at FedEx!

Asking price...does not include, S&H or PP fees; unless we agree on terms, beforehand. Thanks

MORE pics to follow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image (1).jpg
Views:	423
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	2705038  

1 - All The Music In The World > PS Audio Stellar Gain DAC > Dynaudio X14As
2 - All The Music In The World > > Dynaudio EMIT M10s

FS: ARCAM A29 IA

Last edited by CDLehner; 05-17-2020 at 12:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-13-2020, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

price reduced! $700

Last edited by CDLehner; 05-17-2020 at 12:51 PM.
post #3 of 3 Old 05-17-2020, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

New price 5-17-2020

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a29.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	2730654  

Last edited by teachsac; 05-22-2020 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Bumping prior to 10 days from last bump/merged with last post per classified rules
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Audio Gear

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page