Geek Squad vs SquareTrade Extended Warranty. Which is better ? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 04-29-2016, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Geek Squad vs SquareTrade Extended Warranty. Which is better ?

Hi guys. I tried my best in finding the most appropriate section for this thread. I hope this is the right place

I recently purchased a new Dell XPS 9550 for $2300 from Best Buy and want to purchase a 3 year Extended Warranty with ADH for it. Best Buy sells theirs 3 year Extended Warranty $320, while SquareTrade sells the same for $420 (after a $40 discount). Both's Term & Conditions seem to be the same, in fact lot of points actually seem like they were just copy-pasted. SquareTrade however doesn't show you the specific T&S for YOUR product until after you purchase their policy, so that could be different. What they show you before purchase are just 'sample' T&S.

With the above said, I don't know which to purchase. Does anyone have any opinion regarding which might be better, or what points to think about, etc ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-30-2016, 03:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Look into buying the square trade warranty through Costo. You don't need to have purchased the item there to do so. Should be the same warranty for much less money.

I am not familiar with the BB warranty but I know the square trade limits reimbursement to the original price of the device. For example, if you have it repaired and then subsequently have to replace it, they will deduct the cost of the repair from the replacement settlement.
post #3 of 14 Old 04-30-2016, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdunkel View Post
Look into buying the square trade warranty through Costo. You don't need to have purchased the item there to do so. Should be the same warranty for much less money.

I am not familiar with the BB warranty but I know the square trade limits reimbursement to the original price of the device. For example, if you have it repaired and then subsequently have to replace it, they will deduct the cost of the repair from the replacement settlement.
I think BB does that as well, so it's the same in that area. I guess it just comes down to which company is better to deal with. SquareTrade claims to have excellent feedback and everything (look at the stars shown on their front page), but Best Buy is a brick and mortar store with physical presence as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 04-30-2016, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

I had another idea about possibly getting the extended warranty through Dell directly (since they're the manufacturer of the laptop), so I called them up. The rep first said its about $340 for just the ONE year, WITHOUT ADH ! When I told him what Best Buy is offering (THREE year WITH ADH), he matched that after talking to his supervisor ... I find this quite odd. They probably offered me like $400 ~ $500 discount altogether, which is weird.

Second, when I asked him to send me the full terms & conditions document relating to this extended warranty, he failed to do that, and instead got angry that Dell is a much more known brand than BB, etc., and that I should trust them. I mean he failed to share with me a full terms & conditions document. That's a red flag, right ?

When I hung up, he actually called me back to say that I should not call back as there are only 3 reps currently present in their team, so chances are I might talk to the same person again.
post #5 of 14 Old 04-30-2016, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I saw this listing on Costco's site for new 'computers' purchased within the last 30 days. However the description says that you need to have purchased the 'computer' through a Costco warehouse or costco.com to be eligible. This isn't the case for me as I purchased my 'laptop' from Best Buy.
post #6 of 14 Old 04-30-2016, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I purchased my 75" Sony TV from HR Gregg and the Square Trade warranty through Costco. The only difference is you don't get the extra free year if you don't purchase from Costco.
post #7 of 14 Old 04-30-2016, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
I purchased my 75" Sony TV from HR Gregg and the Square Trade warranty through Costco. The only difference is you don't get the extra free year if you don't purchase from Costco.
you can do that for tvs but not laptops. depending on what credit card you use to purchase, you can get an extra year and then call squaretrade to let the 3 year warranty start after THAT but ymmv
post #8 of 14 Old 04-30-2016, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by davisnub View Post
you can do that for tvs but not laptops. depending on what credit card you use to purchase, you can get an extra year and then call squaretrade to let the 3 year warranty start after THAT but ymmv
Unfortunately I don't have any such fancy credit cards, so those options aren't available to me.
post #9 of 14 Old 04-30-2016, 08:38 PM

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmadka View Post
Unfortunately I don't have any such fancy credit cards, so those options aren't available to me.
there's actually a lot of credit cards that do that now! you should check to see if yours does
post #10 of 14 Old 04-30-2016, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by davisnub View Post
there's actually a lot of credit cards that do that now! you should check to see if yours does
Even in that case, I didn't pay using a credit card so I doubt I'll be eligible.
post #11 of 14 Old 04-30-2016, 09:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked: 517
I suppose the biggest thing is how involve you want to be. Best buy has stores so if you have a problem, you bring it to them and let them fix it (they may send it out or fix it In house). With square trade, I believe you either send it to the manufacturer or them.

If you like dealing with people face to face, best buy might simply be the best choice. If you only want to deal with them through email or phone, square trade might be better.

If it was a big item like a tv then best buy is usually a better deal as return shipping can be a killer (especially if he best buy is along the way).
post #12 of 14 Old 05-01-2016, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
I suppose the biggest thing is how involve you want to be. Best buy has stores so if you have a problem, you bring it to them and let them fix it (they may send it out or fix it In house). With square trade, I believe you either send it to the manufacturer or them.

If you like dealing with people face to face, best buy might simply be the best choice. If you only want to deal with them through email or phone, square trade might be better.

If it was a big item like a tv then best buy is usually a better deal as return shipping can be a killer (especially if he best buy is along the way).
I read the T&S documents from both companies and they both offer free 2-way shipping. I agree that BB's physical representation is a good point, but their nearest branch to me is about 20 minutes drive away which is also technically in a different state.

I was also thinking of maybe getting extended warranty directly through Dell, who made my laptop in the first place. However their customer rep service is very bad (and rude), and they failed to provide me with a terms & conditions document detailing what kinds of repairs will be catered to or not, along with other similar details. They instead kept insisting that I should 'trust them'.
post #13 of 14 Old 11-13-2016, 03:27 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Resurrecting this thread for some different insights.

I'm purchasing a Samsung UNxxKS8000 later today. However, I now have a decision to make:

Amazon + 5 year SquareTrade protection plan

versus

Best Buy + 5 year Standard Geek Squad protection plan

The television is more expensive at Amazon, but the protection plan is less expensive. The difference puts Best Buy $186.25 more expensive. (I believe I can also get the television at Best Buy and still buy Amazon's SquareTrade protection plan for it.)

My question is really a matter of comparing SquareTrade to Geek Squad.

Unsurprisingly, a comparison discussion thread on Best Buy's website preferred Geek Squad.

UPDATED: In the time it took me to write this post, evidently Amazon brought the price down another $22.90, so now Best Buy is over $208 more expensive. However, this brings it down into the small price range within which Amazon offers Assurant protection instead of SquareTrade. However, I was still able to pair the television with SquareTrade specifically, just by purchasing the two bits separately.

In the context of matters raised in this thread: This is a 65" flat panel... There is no way I can carry it into Best Buy, so both plans offer on-site repair service, and that'll be the only path I could take. So I don't think the fact that there is a Best Buy nearby helps me all that much.

Last edited by brmeow; 11-13-2016 at 03:30 AM.
post #14 of 14 Old 11-13-2016, 04:46 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 1241 Post(s)
Liked: 2051
This is the classified section. There are plenty of warranty threads in the display area.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread This and That

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page