WAF Good for HP; now need PJ rec for wht rm and 133" - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-04-2008, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter
ham

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
To refresh, I have a 32 ft long x 23 ft wide x13 ft high room, painted off white, with a white rear wall and windows (but with interlined curtains).

After much agonizing--search my prior threads in this forum--re: mounting PJ in rear, searching for high lumen output, Navitar lenses etc, I finally got WAF permission to mount the PJ on a stand behind the couch just above eye level and 15 ft frpm the screen. Whee! That means I can get the HP dropdown, 116x65, 133 diagonal.

Now the fun begins. I need a PJ to light up this puppy. Although it would probably look great in a batcave with almost any low lumen PJ, given that it is an off white game room (and no, I can't paint the back wall black) and will have some ambient light it seems I might do better with a higher lumen unit. DLP, at least until LED units come out, is not poss as I can't spend the bux on a 3 chip and otherwise see rainbows. So it's LCOS LCD etc.

I'm thinking an RS1, UB 1080 or the new Panny might be the way to go--just seems that even with the gain it'll take some lumens to light up a screen that size if there is any ambient.

I'd appreciate opinions!

Thanks!!

ham
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-04-2008, 08:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Get a sack and paint your walls. Anything but white.

any projector should be good
post #3 of 8 Old 12-05-2008, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
You'll be disappointed with your black levels with white ceiling/walls. I painted my off-white walls a medium green color but it didn't help too much, if at all. (Was planning to paint them anyway so not really wasted effort.) This is a multi-purpose family/media room so WAF prevents me from really doing anything else, just have to live with it. Maybe will go with a darker carpet soon, but I fear its the white ceiling which does the most damage.

I have a ceiling mounted RS1x 13' throw to a 104" low gain (~1.2) AT screen and with < 100hrs on the bulb its still ridiculously bright so I think I'd have problems in anything other than a bat-cave at this point. I'm thinking about trying an ND filter since they're not too expensive and using it for the first several hundred hours until the bulb mellows out.

If you can long-throw the PJ, I would do that. I wouldn't want one, particularly an RS1, right behind me at head level! Way too loud for that. Even the quietest of PJs would probably be distracting. If you can move it back 5-6ft, that's probably a better bet and with a HP screen you shouldn't need to worry about light output too much. Also try to elevate a little if possible otherwise you risk interfering with the light path.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 12-05-2008, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryg View Post

get a sack and paint your walls. Anything but white.

Any projector should be good

+1

RS600, 133" 2.8 HP Screen, Panasonic UB-900
Marantz, 7702MKII, Emotiva XPA-1, XPA-2, XPA-100's
7.2.4 with 4pi JBL LCR's, Athena 100 surrounds and 4x Volt 10lx ceiling speakers.
4x FI 18" IB subwoofage with Behringer EP400 amp
Fabric walls, fabric posters, fabric under soffets. No reflections!!
post #5 of 8 Old 12-05-2008, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Ham- I have a 100" HP in my off-white family room. My Epson 1080 Home PJ is at eye level about 3' behind my seating and shoots between my two seats. I run the lamp on low power to reduce the fan noise. I am quite happy with the results I get. I did put dark green drapes on the rear wall, but I can't say for sure that they made a great difference.

I think the narrow viewing cone of the HP helps reduce the interaction between screen and the side walls/ceiling with regard to reflected light. In your particular room the rear wall is pretty far away from the screen, which may help too.

One important difference between my setup and yours is that at 133" you will have 1.77 times as much screen area to light up. This may require you to operate your lamp at full power, so you will need a PJ that has a very quiet fan. Bottom line is that the HP can indeed work well in an all-white room if you keep the PJ near eye level.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-05-2008, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter
ham

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for the replies. Any recs re a PJ that is both quiet and with good output? For instance I didn't know the RS1 had a loud fan. I know I could ask in the PJ forum, but you all know good matches for the screen.

ham
post #7 of 8 Old 12-05-2008, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by ham View Post

Thanks for the replies. Any recs re a PJ that is both quiet and with good output? For instance I didn't know the RS1 had a loud fan. I know I could ask in the PJ forum, but you all know good matches for the screen.

Ham-
This is just as per the comments beginning to roll in by new owners (I wish I were one), but the JVC RS10 and RS-20 re VERY quiet and have excellent lumens. If you are not a "color fanatic," go for the RS-10...if you are, go RS-20.
Check it out.
post #8 of 8 Old 12-05-2008, 09:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ham View Post

To refresh, I have a 32 ft long x 23 ft wide x13 ft high room, painted off white, with a white rear wall and windows (but with interlined curtains).

After much agonizing--search my prior threads in this forum--re: mounting PJ in rear, searching for high lumen output, Navitar lenses etc, I finally got WAF permission to mount the PJ on a stand behind the couch just above eye level and 15 ft frpm the screen. Whee! That means I can get the HP dropdown, 116x65, 133 diagonal.

Now the fun begins. I need a PJ to light up this puppy. Although it would probably look great in a batcave with almost any low lumen PJ, given that it is an off white game room (and no, I can't paint the back wall black) and will have some ambient light it seems I might do better with a higher lumen unit. DLP, at least until LED units come out, is not poss as I can't spend the bux on a 3 chip and otherwise see rainbows. So it's LCOS LCD etc.

I'm thinking an RS1, UB 1080 or the new Panny might be the way to go--just seems that even with the gain it'll take some lumens to light up a screen that size if there is any ambient.

I'd appreciate opinions!

Thanks!!

Not sure what "interlined curtains" means but I have a row of windows behind my projector (at eye level) with all white walls in the room. I have dark navy blue curtains covering the window where they can be opened if wanted.

The dark blue curtains absorb the light reflected from the HP screen which gives me very good black levels. Long ceiling to floor or to bottom of windows flowing curtains look very nice and will probably please your wife with their beauty. Long flowing curtains are a little expensive, but they sure make a room look a lot more "rich" than other window coverings ("rich" look is what your wife will probably really like)

I have windows rotated 90 degrees from the screen. Windows goes up 12 feet to the ceiling. Had to put some motorized curtains there because the sun comes through too strongly especially early in the day. Again use the dark navy blue flowing curtains to look really nice.

The white walls have little effect on picture quality because there really is no good path reflecting off of the screen to the walls into my eyes or back on the screen. That is nothing special, just a normal consequence of all the bounces having little chance of finding a way back to my eyes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page