Microlite Optical Screen - Page 36 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 132Likes

post #1051 of 1144 Old 02-16-2016, 05:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5026 Post(s)
Liked: 1936
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1sox View Post
I have a bunch, I'll see if I can find them all somewhere.
I find that using a few sheets of plain paper, taped on different parts of the screen diplaying a "blank" white image, is quite revealing in identifying any hotspotting or screen uniformity issues.
However, if the screen material is very delicate, I'd think twice before doing so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1052 of 1144 Old 02-16-2016, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximori View Post
Good questions. While waiting for Ch1 - here's my take: screen is angular-reflective; if projector is properly positioned (very important), then brightness uniformity will be very good across the screen area, not an issue wherever side or corner you view it while seated. However, once you stand up then you will see it brighter either on top, bottom or middle, as Dominic already explained. Though small samples can help in that situation - that's why your questions are valid.
You can see my reviews earlier in this thread with pictures of the Microlite samples I received... I actually was quite meticulous in making sure I had the sample perfectly orientated and the vertical viewing cone was a deal-killer for me.

After much research (probably way too much research but we all know how easy it is to obsess on these forums ), I decided to pull the trigger on a DEA (Dark Energy Abyss) framed. I will report back my observations with a detailed review on other areas of the forum. But more on topic, I'll do a comparison for this thread to the Microlite samples I have as well.

In my opinion, taking all of the above into account, along with the recently posted images above, it's difficult to see any advantage the Microlight has over some of the other similar or better performing ALR screens out there. And don't get me wrong as it definitely made me sad for a while because I'm a big believer in the concept of a film-based screen! Fortunately I discovered the DEA product.

For a screen that is supposed to advocate ALR properties, it took some considerable dimming of the room lighting to begin to allow for any appreciable image quality from my samples and from that that which is posted on this thread. Within the proper narrow viewing cone, I will say I was very impressed in complete darkness with the screen concerning brightness and black levels.

The mentioned very wide viewing angle simply means that the screen will do poorly if ambient light is coming from the side. The "narrow" vertical viewing cone shows that the screen has essentially the same performance limitations that so many such identically designed ALR screens have (and I like to really lean back and recline when I watch movies haha).

In other words, it's going to do poorly if seating is at multi-level positioning, or viewing takes place from anywhere other than a specifically restricted height. (bar height - standing - massively laid back). It has been my experience that even if viewing is acceptable while seated, when people do rise and see the image "go away", that seems to be the general impression they are left with... as it really turned me off and I began my orientation experiment just in case they messed up the sample (I tried all possible orientations of the sample and there is a 100% vertical viewing cone limitation which is way too extensive for me).

And then there is the revelation posted a couple pages back about the sheer fragility of the material. While careful proper care during installation will avoid most chances for issues or complaints, the likelihood of damage definitely scares me as I'm quite a klutz at times.

It would seem that with the lower gain sample, some of the above listed issues should be lessened...but I tested both the lower gain and higher gain samples (see me earlier posts) and I found the same issues with both. I look forward to seeing how others' results and opinions when testing those examples (...or screens...) turns out, but as for myself, at this point the die is cast, as I have ordered a Dark Energy Abyss screen w/frame. I will keep in touch when it arrives!
Elix likes this.

Thanks!
Cory
Audio: Ascend Acoustics, Sennheiser HD 598, Denon AVR-S710W
Video: JVC RS400, 92" DES Abyss screen, HTPC/RTX 2080/i7 8700k 4.9GHz/madVR, Panasonic DMP-UB900 for streaming
post #1053 of 1144 Old 02-16-2016, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1sox View Post
After watching some more material, I think I'm liking Cinema 1 (best picture mode) more for movies. I use normal mode for tv. I'm betting an anamorphic lens in Cinema 1 would be very nice.

Projector Central did a review on the F2 and I think it's pretty accurate for the Black Crystal 1.8 as well: http://www.projectorcentral.com/ambi...?page=Shootout

The article brings up a point about a "hot band." The only times I've seen this so far has been when the camera pans across the sky. It's not anything that bothers me, but something to keep in mind. I'd still buy the screen again knowing about it. It's probably the best at keeping shimmers to a minimum for any ALR screen I've seen, especially for it being 1.8 gain. This makes tv viewing during the day enjoyable in normal mode. I do have my lights on dimmers though which probably helps. I'd be interested to see how it looks if the material was a darker shade of gray.
If I recall the hot band was observed outside of the ideal viewing area...were you not within that area? How far is your projector mounted from the screen and what is the viewing distance? I didn't notice anything from my screen with panning movement, however, did noticed the slight shimmer occurring on white areas only but you'll have to be watching the screen, and not the film, to find it distracting. Still, that was a great improvement compared with the F2 as it eliminated most of it. I was going to ask if they can entirely eliminate all of it though.

Btw, let me put certain things in perspective - the previous line were the F2 1.8 gain (for ambient lighting) and F3 3.0 gain (for dedicated room).
But now, it has shifted to a 1.2 Black Crystal - for ambient lighting, and the 1.8 BC - ideally for dedicated room.
I don't think the F2 is to be compared with the 1.8 BC, I noticed the BC version showed brighter and more vibrant images, not to mention the material looks slightly lighter. They both need to be measured to find out exactly what gain each one has.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1054 of 1144 Old 02-16-2016, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryW View Post
You can see my reviews earlier in this thread with pictures of the Microlite samples I received... I actually was quite meticulous in making sure I had the sample perfectly orientated and the vertical viewing cone was a deal-killer for me.

After much research (probably way too much research but we all know how easy it is to obsess on these forums ), I decided to pull the trigger on a DEA (Dark Energy Abyss) framed. I will report back my observations with a detailed review on other areas of the forum. But more on topic, I'll do a comparison for this thread to the Microlite samples I have as well.

In my opinion, taking all of the above into account, along with the recently posted images above, it's difficult to see any advantage the Microlight has over some of the other similar or better performing ALR screens out there. And don't get me wrong as it definitely made me sad for a while because I'm a big believer in the concept of a film-based screen! Fortunately I discovered the DEA product.

For a screen that is supposed to advocate ALR properties, it took some considerable dimming of the room lighting to begin to allow for any appreciable image quality from my samples and from that that which is posted on this thread. Within the proper narrow viewing cone, I will say I was very impressed in complete darkness with the screen concerning brightness and black levels.

The mentioned very wide viewing angle simply means that the screen will do poorly if ambient light is coming from the side. The "narrow" vertical viewing cone shows that the screen has essentially the same performance limitations that so many such identically designed ALR screens have (and I like to really lean back and recline when I watch movies haha).

In other words, it's going to do poorly if seating is at multi-level positioning, or viewing takes place from anywhere other than a specifically restricted height. (bar height - standing - massively laid back). It has been my experience that even if viewing is acceptable while seated, when people do rise and see the image "go away", that seems to be the general impression they are left with... as it really turned me off and I began my orientation experiment just in case they messed up the sample (I tried all possible orientations of the sample and there is a 100% vertical viewing cone limitation which is way too extensive for me).

And then there is the revelation posted a couple pages back about the sheer fragility of the material. While careful proper care during installation will avoid most chances for issues or complaints, the likelihood of damage definitely scares me as I'm quite a klutz at times.

It would seem that with the lower gain sample, some of the above listed issues should be lessened...but I tested both the lower gain and higher gain samples (see me earlier posts) and I found the same issues with both. I look forward to seeing how others' results and opinions when testing those examples (...or screens...) turns out, but as for myself, at this point the die is cast, as I have ordered a Dark Energy Abyss screen w/frame. I will keep in touch when it arrives!
Fair enough. I don't ever recall posting a lot about how good they are for ALR as I was more interested in how they perform in non-dedicated rooms (with white walls). Also, I never played much under those conditions because the 1.8 I have isn't quite ideal for it.
What I can tell you though is that I briefly compared the F2 side by side up against my Graywolf screen and both were almost identical in rejecting certain lighting degree...but not enough magic to completely eliminate it (well nothing is atm).
All things considered, the difference where you easily picked out one from the other came from color, texture, uniformity, etc. which was clearly a no contest by the F2.

As for elevated seating, I may need to observe more to what varying degree does the uniformity get affected. I''m guessing the farther and higher the projector is mounted, above the top screen level, it may lessen the issue (?)

But thanks, looking forward to more of your impressions later. Be sure you ask for the 1.2 sample as that will be much more interesting in that respect.
post #1055 of 1144 Old 02-16-2016, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximori View Post
Fair enough. I don't ever recall posting a lot about how good they are for ALR as I was more interested in how they perform in non-dedicated rooms (with white walls). Also, I never played much under those conditions because the 1.8 I have isn't quite ideal for it.
What I can tell you though is that I briefly compared the F2 side by side up against my Graywolf screen and both were almost identical in rejecting certain lighting degree...but not enough magic to completely eliminate it (well nothing is atm).
All things considered, the difference where you easily picked out one from the other came from color, texture, uniformity, etc. which was clearly a no contest by the F2.

As for elevated seating, I may need to observe more to what varying degree does the uniformity get affected. I''m guessing the farther and higher the projector is mounted, above the top screen level, it may lessen the issue (?)

But thanks, looking forward to more of your impressions later. Be sure you ask for the 1.2 sample as that will be much more interesting in that respect.
I had my projector mounted approx. 9 inches from the ceiling for an FYI. I definitely preferred the Microlite over my Graywolf if it weren't for the insane viewing cone dropoff. The Graywolf was way better in that regard. Oh and I agree that both screens were about the same with ALR performance... I was expecting the Microlite to be significantly better than my 13 year old Graywolf screen though.

Either way, I just felt it was important to give a brief update on my journey thus far and I am definitely going to compare my upcoming Dark Energy Abyss screen against the Microlite as they are the only two film based screens I know of.

Thanks!
Cory
Video: JVC RS400, 92" DES Abyss screen, HTPC/RTX 2080/i7 8700k 4.9GHz/madVR, Panasonic DMP-UB900 for streaming
post #1056 of 1144 Old 02-16-2016, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 3659 Post(s)
Liked: 2075
Cory,
Did you order samples of DEA or are you flying blind?

Having fun playing the new mobile game Volley Village
post #1057 of 1144 Old 02-16-2016, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
Cory,
Did you order samples of DEA or are you flying blind?
I actually did not. I had been following the reviews / images / other statements for quite some time and had a very good handle of the Dark Energy Abyss screen performance. However, the true test was the transparency provided by the videos they posted on YouTube in my opinion. That really hammered it home for me and took away my concerns. Once again, I will report back any positive and negative aspects to my review once the screen has arrived and is installed.

Thanks!
Cory
post #1058 of 1144 Old 02-16-2016, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:

Make sure you have the correct samples for Microlite before comparing. The F2/F3 are different than the Black Crystal 1.2 and 1.8.

As for dimming your room, that depends on the environment you have. Not every screen is for every room. Microlite has a 1.2 gain which I believe has much higher ALR properties. I didn't want that though because I can dim my lights and enjoy a vidid, more brighter image with the 1.8 gain. The problem I have with low gain dark screen material like for other ALR screens is their colors look dull a lot of the time (in my experience). That's partly why I went with 1.8 to get that extra pop.

I lean back all the time and I can assure you there is little to no drop off in brightness. I think you're blowing this whole vertical viewing cone way out of proportion. The image never "goes away" as you are saying. It might dim a bit if you're standing, but it is still more than fine. I'm sure other buyers in this thread (where are you all, lol) can agree on this this as well.

As for the DEA, have you seen any real world examples yet before buying it? I haven't seen anything other than dark room pictures.

I had my projector way too far back for my throw distance. I moved it forward a few feet as I've been messing with settings and stuff. The picture is more than acceptable with reasonable lighting in a room.

Edit: Will update later.

Last edited by ch1sox; 02-18-2016 at 04:03 PM.
post #1059 of 1144 Old 02-18-2016, 08:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Got my samples today. Going to be putting them up with my BD 1.4, SI 0.8 Slate, and my Seymour Matinee Silver and Blacks. Looking forward to the demo. Will share, however my experiences with iPhone pictures for comparison have been weak and inaccurate but we will do the best we can with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1060 of 1144 Old 02-18-2016, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Based upon the above pictures, I would not like the Microlite - at least at that higher gain. Too much wash out, when lights are on. I would think this screen/gain would be better for getting a brighter picture when the lights are off, for 3D, and to allow a lesser lumen projector to be used. However, not a good ambient light screen.

I'm hopeful that someone will post pictures of the BC 1.2, at some point....

Thanks,
Dave
post #1061 of 1144 Old 02-18-2016, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Excellent point. I'll be sure to try and obtain some Black Crystal 1.2 and 1.8 samples. I'm always open to any sort of screen technology because some day I'll want a 2nd screen for another room... I'm not done with the buying process. Currently, I'm excited and hopeful with my Dark Energy Abyss (DEA) purchase and will definitely update with an honest review... but if the Black Crystal is better, I'll report back and it will affect my 2nd purchase decision as I have a dedicated room where I value ALR for white walls and a family room where ALR is very important.

And just for a point of reference, this is where I viewed screenshots of the DEA similar to that which you just posted:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/450-ha...ss-photos.html

Thanks!
Cory

Last edited by CoryW; 02-18-2016 at 09:57 AM.
post #1062 of 1144 Old 02-18-2016, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Excellent point. I'll be sure to try and obtain some Black Crystal 1.2 and 1.8 samples. I'm always open to any sort of screen technology because some day I'll want a 2nd screen for another room... I'm not done with the buying process. Currently, I'm excited and hopeful with my Dark Energy Abyss (DEA) purchase and will definitely update with an honest review... but if the Black Crystal is better, I'll report back and it will affect my 2nd purchase decision as I have a dedicated room where I value ALR for white walls and a family room where ALR is very important.

And just for a point of reference, this is where I viewed screenshots of the DEA similar to that which you just posted:
I am not going to read the thread. Is there any legitimate gain readings for the DEA?

Good luck.

post #1063 of 1144 Old 02-18-2016, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Well Michael came thru and I received my samples this AM. I took a few minutes off work to put them up. Left one is the 1.2 and the right is the 2.4. The TV is a Panny Plasma 65". Image size of PJ is about 120" which will be my final size. I took the pictures with an iPhone 6 plus since I did not have enough time to mount the DSLR on a tripod. Not sure if it is due to refresh rate of the TV and the iPhone shutter, but some colors like white and yellow did not come out right; on the other hand the PJ pictures came out fine. I did take the pictures at more or less the sitting viewing angle although physically closer since the iphone does not have a telephoto . Also, I shifted the PJ image to more or less 8" from the would be top of the screen. The samples of course were placed in more or less the center position.
I also included a picture of the room so you have a reference. I will take some more pictures tonight although we use the TV at different times of the day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4671.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	1262633   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4686.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	1262641   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4670.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	1262649   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4669.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	1262657   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4685.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	1262665  

Name:	IMG_4668.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	1262673   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4684.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	1262681   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4665.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	230.8 KB
ID:	1262689   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4683.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	1262697   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4682.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	1262705  

Name:	IMG_4681.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	1262713   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4680.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	1262721   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4679.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	1262729   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4675.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	1262737   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4673.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	1262745  

I wish I had more time to enjoy my gear
post #1064 of 1144 Old 02-18-2016, 11:04 AM

I also have the DNP 23-23 and DEA 1.0 which I will add later (I think the edges show at the top right). At the bottom of the TV there is a white piece of paper, a poorly stretched sample from EPV, and the walls of course are light beige color.

post #1065 of 1144 Old 02-18-2016, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I agree that the DAE is better as an ambient light screen, but it's also really nice in the dark, with superb blacks. The Microlite will probably do 3D better and perhaps allow an even lower lumen projector.

For me, 3D is not important, so I want the best 2D I can get. So far, I believe the best I've seen is the Darkstar 1.4 screen. Better in ambient light than the DAE, and better blacks than the DAE in ambient light. In the dark, the DAE gets a bit better blacks, but the DS 1.4 has more pop. Also, the DS 1.4 seems to produce a sharper image than the DAE.

A newer DAE sample is being sent to me, which is claimed to have better blacks and even brighter whites than the previous DAE. Once I get that DAE, I will once again compare to my DS 1.4.

I've asked for BC 1.2 samples, but no luck as of yet.

Dave
post #1066 of 1144 Old 02-18-2016, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thezaks View Post
I agree that the DAE is better as an ambient light screen, but it's also really nice in the dark, with superb blacks. The Microlite will probably do 3D better and perhaps allow an even lower lumen projector.

For me, 3D is not important, so I want the best 2D I can get. So far, I believe the best I've seen is the Darkstar 1.4 screen. Better in ambient light than the DAE, and better blacks than the DAE in ambient light. In the dark, the DAE gets a bit better blacks, but the DS 1.4 has more pop. Also, the DS 1.4 seems to produce a sharper image than the DAE.

A newer DAE sample is being sent to me, which is claimed to have better blacks and even brighter whites than the previous DAE. Once I get that DAE, I will once again compare to my DS 1.4.

I've asked for BC 1.2 samples, but no luck as of yet.

Dave
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing! The DEA I am receiving will have the newer material / latest version so you will see that material in whatever review I post in the future.
thezaks likes this.

Thanks!
Cory
post #1067 of 1144 Old 02-18-2016, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by isisyodin View Post
I also have the DNP 23-23 and DEA 1.0 which I will add later (I think the edges show at the top right). At the bottom of the TV there is a white piece of paper, a poorly stretched sample from EPV, and the walls of course are light beige color.
What screen material is the EPV sample?

Dave
post #1068 of 1144 Old 02-18-2016, 11:35 AM

isis,
What pj are you running?

post #1069 of 1144 Old 02-18-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thezaks View Post
What screen material is the EPV sample?

Dave
It is an EPV Polastar sample. I'll be receiving a Dark Energy Aurora sample tomorrow. I will have to build a small frame for it, so I will stretch out the Polarstar as well.
I will have these to compare:
DEA 1.0, DE Aurora, Microlite 1.2 and 2.4, and DNP 23-23. I had the BD Slate, but I had to leave a deposit at my local best buy, so I returned it since I did not like it too much. I don't want to wait any longer, so I will pick one out of the bunch. Will post hopefully good pictures out of my Nikon.

post #1070 of 1144 Old 02-18-2016, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
isis,
What pj are you running?
JVC RS4810. I calibrated it back when I had a Da-Lite Cinema Contour white 1.3 gain material. I will need to recalibrate, but doing it for such a small sample is nearly impossible. The DEA sample I'll be receiving is a bit larger, so I may go for it and spend sometime recalibrating.

post #1071 of 1144 Old 02-18-2016, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It is an EPV Polastar sample. I'll be receiving a Dark Energy Aurora sample tomorrow. I will have to build a small frame for it, so I will stretch out the Polarstar as well.
Interesting...the Polarstar 1.3 seems much darker than the Microlite 1.2 material. I expected the opposite. The Darkstar 1.4 material is much darker than the Polarstar. Based upon my needs, the Microlite 1.2 will most likely not be for me.

Thanks for providing the pictures!

Dave
post #1072 of 1144 Old 02-20-2016, 07:09 AM

Calibration with an ALR

I had a heck of a time trying to calibrate a Microlite sample to my JVC. In fact, it is a first for me since I have only calibrated plasmas, LCDs, and white screens. Has anyone come across any good articles on the matter? My main concern is placing the sensor; with ALRs the the trejecting technology negates the palcement of the sensor; therefore, placing the light sensor vertically at angle to read the light bounced of the screen is not working out too well. I am guessing I would need to place it at a horizontal angle in the case of Microlite (strong vertical ALR) and vertically in the case of DnP (strong side ALR)
In any case, I am going to keep searching on the forum for any advise.

post #1073 of 1144 Old 02-20-2016, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My main concern is placing the sensor; with ALRs the the trejecting technology negates the palcement of the sensor; therefore, placing the light sensor vertically at angle to read the light bounced of the screen is not working out too well.
Not sure if I understand the specific issue. I would aim to sensor to get the maximum luminance reading, just like with Non-ALR matte white screens.
post #1074 of 1144 Old 02-20-2016, 08:53 AM

True. I need to spend more time finding a better tilt angle for the sensor. In my mind I was forcing the angle to match my normal viewing angle, but I'll try other angles and keep an eye on the luminance.
I spend a couple of hours testing out a couple of samples from Microlite and DEA. I need to do more testing since my first few attempts at calibrating the grayscale did not come out as good as I wanted. I was able to get dE of around 1 at IRE 80 but other values were all over the place. Also, I need to check if my JVC has a setting for gray screen material.

post #1075 of 1144 Old 02-20-2016, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
True. I need to spend more time finding a better tilt angle for the sensor. In my mind I was forcing the angle to match my normal viewing angle, but I'll try other angles and keep an eye on the luminance.
Ideally, the normal viewing angle is also the angle that gives you the maximum luminance
post #1076 of 1144 Old 03-01-2016, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hi all, finally convinced my wife to help me with the install of our screen. She proved way more adept at fastening the screen to the frame! The screen itself was securely packaged and assembly was pretty straight forward, definitely paranoid about screen material as it was not as thick as I was expecting also and not as dark as I was thinking it would be for a material called Black Crystal 1.8. No I did not get samples ahead of time... I just took the plunge.

Not as critical a viewer as some here but what I can report is that the higher gain screen is definitely giving me the pop I was looking for when watching a movie in the dark and has enough ambient light rejection to make watching TV or playing video games with the lights on a doable exercise for the family. When watching a movie as well the dark grey bars are dark enough that I don't think I need to run out and get a masking system now, another ancillary benefit (but again, not as critical as some here). I will say the shadow caused by the frame from my pot lights is more annoying.

The horizontal viewing angles are pretty ridiculous for an ALR screen. Vertical viewing angles when I go to extremes (sitting on the floor) does drop off minimally at the top of the screen, but not at my normal viewing angles (seated or standing). So I think that might be a little overstated in some posts (or again more critical than I am). My projector is ceiling mounted near the top of the screen.

As for other minor negatives, the velvet in a couple places on the frame have compressed nap from shipping and packing, waiting to hear back how how I should "fluff it up".

So far, Im happy!
Mike Garrett likes this.

Tom
post #1077 of 1144 Old 03-01-2016, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Very cool - pictures please!

Thanks,
Dave
post #1078 of 1144 Old 03-02-2016, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Not as critical a viewer as some here but what I can report is that the higher gain screen is definitely giving me the pop I was looking for when watching a movie in the dark and has enough ambient light rejection to make watching TV or playing video games with the lights on a doable exercise for the family. When watching a movie as well the dark grey bars are dark enough that I don't think I need to run out and get a masking system now, another ancillary benefit (but again, not as critical as some here). I will say the shadow caused by the frame from my pot lights is more annoying.
In your opinion, how does it compare to ALR screens by dnp and SI ? (You may have seen those screens in action). I'm told the Super 08-85 is very good, the only problem being the gain which requires one to use a brighter projector. The SI BD1.4 seems to be a decent performer too.

Quote:
The horizontal viewing angles are pretty ridiculous for an ALR screen.
Not sure what you mean in the above statement. Do you mean the BC 1.8 has excellent horizontal viewing angles ?

Are you happy with the results when watching content in typical interior ambient light ? Do you have ambient light coming in from the sides of the screen ?
post #1079 of 1144 Old 03-02-2016, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Pic.

Install Pic.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0985.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	1289249  

Tom
post #1080 of 1144 Old 03-02-2016, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Ash View Post
In your opinion, how does it compare to ALR screens by dnp and SI ? (You may have seen those screens in action). I'm told the Super 08-85 is very good, the only problem being the gain which requires one to use a brighter projector. The SI BD1.4 seems to be a decent performer too.

Not sure what you mean in the above statement. Do you mean the BC 1.8 has excellent horizontal viewing angles ?

Are you happy with the results when watching content in typical interior ambient light ? Do you have ambient light coming in from the sides of the screen ?
Hi Sam,

No, I did not compare to other ALR screens. In my media room I have two seats set up pretty wide and didn't want to have them miss out, so I went with the one ALR at the time that supposedly had superior horizontal viewing angles. By "ridiculous", I mean very good horizontal viewing angles, there is little to no drop off in brightness on the side seats.

I am happy with ambient light performance, but as you can see from the pic, I have two pot lights directly above the screen. When they are on, a shadow is created from the frame itself which is annoying, but the screen performs well. But if your primary viewing is for lighted situations, I believe the 1.2 gain screen is a better ALR screen overall for those installs.
krholmberg likes this.

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page